Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

Let's talk about balls!

Currently I have 2 very similar balls.

Ebonite Evolve and a Storm Frantic.

Last night I probably had one of my worst nights bowling. I must have tried 5 or 6 different lane positions with each ball but I could not find a line. I was ready to throw balls in the woods after we were done, they probably would've missed the trees though.

So this is a good excuse for a new ball right?

I want something different than those 2, they both have the same coverstock and both about the same hook. I was thinking about something like the DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge or something with that type of coverstock. What do you guys think? Just to have something different when neither of my current balls will do what I want them to.

Honestly, the Evolve should roll much earlier and smoother than the Frantic. It might need a hot water soak and resurface. But to tell you the truth, I never thought the evolve was that great of a ball. You should probably get a mid performance solid coverstock bowling ball to replace the Evolve. Storm's Victory Road Solid is a good choice. Or if you want a ball in the same line as your Frantic, get a Storm Manic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

buffto posted:

Honestly, the Evolve should roll much earlier and smoother than the Frantic. It might need a hot water soak and resurface. But to tell you the truth, I never thought the evolve was that great of a ball. You should probably get a mid performance solid coverstock bowling ball to replace the Evolve. Storm's Victory Road Solid is a good choice. Or if you want a ball in the same line as your Frantic, get a Storm Manic.

The Evolve is the first ball I bought when I first got back into bowling. I knew nothing about balls at the time and it was on sale or something so that's why I bought it. It's a good 2 years old now I guess and has a nice gash in it so it's probably time to replace it anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna hit my pro shop up this weekend and see what he thinks as well.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I wasn't trying to criticize your decision. Tons of people bought that ball, many of them liked it. I just didn't like it when I tried it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

buffto posted:

I wasn't trying to criticize your decision. Tons of people bought that ball, many of them liked it. I just didn't like it when I tried it.

No worries, I was just trying to say it's kinda old now I guess and bought it before I knew anything.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I bowled lovely last night. But at least I was consistently lovely. I kept yanking the ball to the left all drat night and couldn't make myself stop. I must have left 10 or 12 4 pins and it seemed like there was a shadow 4-9 on every one of my throws. Had a few splits in there too so I went 173, 174, 170. Bleh.

Firestarter
Nov 3, 2002

Cliff Yablonski hates me!
201 / 198 / 254 = 653, team wins all three.

I'm thrilled with my team and the team dynamic. This could be a great year. It will take some time to get used to eight on a pair though.

I drew my worst pair right out of the gate (45-46), so I should be happy with a 650. Flagged one single pin and performed poorly in the 10th in the first two games or else I'd be looking at 700. Reading the transition faster will be key as we continue this year.

Looking forward to the Sport league. On the off chance that the "39 foot" pattern is Winding Road, has anyone bowled on it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just picked up the storm vivid. He's drilling it now. Should be a huge change from my frantic lol.

Edit: update 5 games later and I love this ball! We'll see how I do with it in Tuesday night league.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 8, 2012

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Firestarter posted:

201 / 198 / 254 = 653, team wins all three.

I'm thrilled with my team and the team dynamic. This could be a great year. It will take some time to get used to eight on a pair though.

I drew my worst pair right out of the gate (45-46), so I should be happy with a 650. Flagged one single pin and performed poorly in the 10th in the first two games or else I'd be looking at 700. Reading the transition faster will be key as we continue this year.

Looking forward to the Sport league. On the off chance that the "39 foot" pattern is Winding Road, has anyone bowled on it?

Bowling on it now.

Starting target is 8th board, how people are breaking down your pair will determine where you play after the first game. I've had luck going from a mid-range ball to something more aggressive and moving more outside. But you may have to move more inside if everyone is playing out. Very traffic and speed dependent, don't lean on it too much or the ball will go 60 feet.

It's not easy, and don't be surprised if those 200s drop to 150s or worse.

Edit: Middle Road is more likely, since it is a middle hardness pattern and also 39 feet. Stay around 10th board. You can go a little more outside to about 6 or 7 but outside of that is OOB. When you adjust keep your breakpoint around 10 and just move your feet. I loving hate Middle Road and find it plays just as hard as the sport shots despite being a category down in hardness. You can be more aggressive speed wise on it, just move more right with your feet if that's what you like to do.

Critical fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 9, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First league night with new ball report.

Love it! 180 first game and about the 6th frame I figured out where it wanted to be and shot 221 235. Very very happy with this Vivid.

Also my hands smell like wintergreen now lol.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So after throwing a somewhat disappointing 605 (230-something, 200-something and then a 148) in the first week of the fall league, my first game in the second week was a 180 wherein I left two pocket 10s (missed one) and a pocket 7-10 ... then a 236 and a 268. Hit the final six in the second game and the front eight in the third. A good night, overall, and now I've got a 214 average that's sure to gently caress us over in the future.

Yaaayyy~

Firestarter
Nov 3, 2002

Cliff Yablonski hates me!
The 39 foot pattern turned out to be WTBA Seoul.

Shot 210 / 234 / 179 / 237 = 860. Made a ball change too late but recovered for the fourth game. Unfortunately the league voted to run a 32-week season with two patterns for 16 weeks each, then voted short/long, so I won't see this pattern again. The short comes first, and it will be 34 feet. No word yet if we will stick with WTBA patterns (34 feet is Stockholm).

Shot 279 / 202 / 194 = 675 on the THS. Pretty uneventful set, just a typical carry while it's fresh and miss the transition night.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Thursday night : 205-234-196 . Wasn't a real high score , but it was a clean set. Fought the 10 pin , but made 'em all ,only 2 7-count spares. All in all ,a good performance :-)

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
298-201-230 last night ; got lucky as all hell

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

flacoman954 posted:

298-201-230 last night ; got lucky as all hell

Looks like you weren't quite lucky enough in that first game :)

I've had a couple of really bleh weeks the last two Wednesdays. But I actually threw some practice (MY. GOD.) last night and maybe working to get a little more consistent will help me get back into the swing of things.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So last night I had the greatest series I have ever bowled - 257-242-278 for a 777 series. I had a Greek Church (4-6-7-9-10) in the second game, otherwise I was clean throughout. It's okay that I didn't get an 800 this time, I'll get it next time! (that one open cost me an 800 :()

I was completely on fire, and I'm not entirely sure why but I'll take it!

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Well done Toad. My knees wouldn't bend for the last four shots,and it took about seven more frames to calm down !

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My adjustments were lovely last night. 173-209-154.

The 209 should have been MUCH higher. I 9/'d the 1st, then got 6 in a row, and left the last 3 open... No move I made was the right one for the rest of the night :(

Now that we're all a few weeks into the leagues, anyone else notice any hilarious forms from bowlers in their league? We have a guy who gets up onto the approach, grabs his ball, proceeds to get down into a FULL SQUAT while eyeing the lane, then bolts forward throwing the ball with such force that his arm does a full windmill after delivery. I don't know how he does it, but the ball looks like it's spinning like a top going down the lane.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 25, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There's a kid, can't be older than 18 that runs full speed for his approach. Like, a full on run. I have no idea how he stops in time or why he feels he has to bowl like that. He's a small kid so i guess to generate ball speed but jeez.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Toad on a Hat posted:

So last night I had the greatest series I have ever bowled - 257-242-278 for a 777 series. I had a Greek Church (4-6-7-9-10) in the second game, otherwise I was clean throughout. It's okay that I didn't get an 800 this time, I'll get it next time! (that one open cost me an 800 :()

I was completely on fire, and I'm not entirely sure why but I'll take it!

Sweet. It's taken me three weeks to get back to normal after bowling on sport patterns all summer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well I had a pretty lovely series tonight, not even worth mentioning the scores. I did get to watch my dad throw 11 in a row and miss the 300 by inches on the 12th. Hit it a little thin(he said he was pretty nervous) and left the 2 somehow and almost had a pin come from behind and take it out, but alas it was not meant to be. He had a 300 12 years ago, a 298 2 years ago and now has the 299. Pretty awesome to watch him do it during league.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Got a text last night mentioning a Brunswick/DV8 ball demo at my house tonight. Didn't think much of it since there's a few local reps who usually do ball demos and I know most of them from tournaments and stuff.

So I walk in to get ready for my league, put my stuff down and turn around to see Parker Motherfucking Bohn III setting up the table. I almost poo poo.

Long story short, dude is chill as hell and an awesome guy. Got fitted for a Hellraiser Terror and threw a few shots, and he was set up right behind where we bowl league so he was hanging around all night. He saw I was throwing a Marauder and had a Revenge in my bag so we talked about how I had them drilled and where I used them. Then a few of us hung around while he was packing up and he was really friendly and down to earth.

He has to be on the road 40 weeks out of the year doing tournaments and ball demos so the fact he stuck around to shoot the poo poo with us was really impressive. I didn't manage to get a picture with him since he was busy as hell before league and I looked like hot garbage after sweating for three hours after league, but he invited us all to a pro-am up in NH in a few weeks so I'll probably go if I have the funds. Awesome experience all around and it helped cushion the fact that I won the first 3 games and choked away the 4th so bad I lost total as well.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

toenut posted:

Sweet. It's taken me three weeks to get back to normal after bowling on sport patterns all summer.

Yeah, I finally realized "Whoops, I need to stand on the LEFT side now because it actually hooks!"

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Got to go to bowlexpo a few years back and found PB III a really cool dude.
Also on the chill side Walter Ray & Norm Duke. On the jerk side of the list is Brian Voss.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think it'd be hilarious if one of had drinks with Pete Weber and found him to be the most down-to-earth, soft-spoken, kind-hearted man on earth. But then after finishing drinks at the bar, he stands up, puts his sunglasses on, chops his crotch and tells you to suck it as he skips out on the tab.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
From what I hear, PDW is like his TV persona, just way way way toned down. Generally a nice guy but a bit of a dick on the lanes.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

My teammate over the summer bowls in PBA regionals and said PDW and Chris Barnes are the biggest dickheads on the planet. Barnes almost had to withdraw from a US Open because he tried to kick a field goal with his bowling bag after leaving a stone 8. Got fined like $5000 and almost broke his foot.

WRWJr is supposedly nice but has zero personality, and Duke is a cool poo poo unless he's struggling in a tournament that means something.

I got to bowl with Robert Smith during a demo when I was a kid and the dude is an absolute beast. Picked off the 7-10 from a full rack on command and knocked down a 30 pin strike and managed to get his ball back to the pit. I believe he's retired now except for the majors.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Critical posted:

WRWJr is supposedly nice but has zero personality,
He likes to play chess! :shobon:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Who left an absolute stone 9 pin on the fill ball in the 10th frame to lose a semifinal match by 1 pin in a tournament today? This guy.

Best ball I threw all day. 3rd is awesome but it sucks to beat 130 other guys and get absolutely bent over and railed by bad carry. :smith:

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
That's gotta suck. Bowled piss -poor last night (530)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

flacoman954 posted:

That's gotta suck. Bowled piss -poor last night (530)

What's up 530s buddy... I had a 539. Went 224-188-127. Seriously could not adjust to the lane as it broke down. And we were bowling the vacant team for fucks sake!

Luckily even though I poo poo the bed in the last game, my teammates did fine and we won.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The vacant team is my worst nemesis. I don't know what it is but I just can't bowl worth a poo poo unless I'm up against somebody.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Got carried away adjusting ball surface for Sunday night ,and got myself into over/under land. Mutant cell pearl will get a shot of glass cleaner for Thursday, and the total inferno a coat of polish.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Another loving 530 :-<

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost
This thread has been an enormous help. I've recently began bowling again since bowling for a bit in middle school and a bit after. Right now I've got a 12-pound plastic ball that I had re-drilled and have been practicing my technique for when I get a ball that will hook better.

Looking into Urethane balls or maybe RR, but leaning Urethane as they look to be a bit easier on the wallet, and I'm not exactly putting a whole lot of revs on the ball just yet. I was wondering how much of a factor weight is when looking into a strike ball. Being a massive couch/chair potato for the last decade has left my arm pitifully weak, and after a night with the 12-pounder it's obvious how much I've neglected exercise. Would I be well off getting a 14-lb strike ball or is it better to wait until my arm develops enough to use a 15 or 16 pounder?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Forget about 16 lb equipment.. Pro gear is all 15 these days.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I've averaged about 212 with a 14-pound version of this thing, so I'd say 14 or 15 can get the job done without major issue. Flacoman's right about 16-pound equipment.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Halifax posted:

This thread has been an enormous help. I've recently began bowling again since bowling for a bit in middle school and a bit after. Right now I've got a 12-pound plastic ball that I had re-drilled and have been practicing my technique for when I get a ball that will hook better.

Looking into Urethane balls or maybe RR, but leaning Urethane as they look to be a bit easier on the wallet, and I'm not exactly putting a whole lot of revs on the ball just yet. I was wondering how much of a factor weight is when looking into a strike ball. Being a massive couch/chair potato for the last decade has left my arm pitifully weak, and after a night with the 12-pounder it's obvious how much I've neglected exercise. Would I be well off getting a 14-lb strike ball or is it better to wait until my arm develops enough to use a 15 or 16 pounder?

If your revs are low RR balls will suit you better and create more hook with less work. Letting the ball do the work is the key.

Most people throw 15lb balls right now, some power players (Toaster Beef is a two-hander if I remember correctly) can get away with 14, but anyone else is going to sacrifice carry. I would recommend going 15 and then just limiting yourself to a couple games each time until you build arm strength. It doesn't take long at all.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Critical's absolutely right, of course, and I'd take his advice over mine in a heartbeat. It should also be noted that I bowl in a ludicrously easy house. Your mileage may vary.

That said, I throw the weakest drat two-handed ball I've ever seen. Ugliest two-handed delivery in recorded history, with barely any backswing. The final result is a pretty nice ball, though, and it's way more consistent than I ever managed to throw using a one-handed approach.

I'm working on uploading a video, but since I'm at work that's a slower process than it should be.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 19, 2012

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

176-198-212-226 for a 816 series and my first time breaking 800 in this league. My friend yelled "About loving time!" at me and I got a mini-ovation when I struck out in the 10th in the last game. :3: Now I don't look like a total scrub. And I swept my opponent to move onto the first page of the standings so things are going pretty well so far.

We're on Dead Man's Curve and the DV8 Marauder did work tonight. Laying down at 30 out to about 12 board all night and hitting like a train. If I had the money I'd buy a case of those things and drill them all different ways. Definitely the best ball I've ever thrown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I threw out my back last week during the first game of league, couldn't even finish. Doctor said I pulled a muscle and gave me some muscle relaxers that I took through the weekend. Tried bowling a game after work tonight and I can already tell it's going to be a painful morning. Definitely not bowling tomorrow night.

25 years of league and I've never had anything like this happen :sigh:

• Locked thread