Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah had that OTB tape for a few days now. Goes hard. Like they say, they're not reinventing the wheel but it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

gently caress guys. Parkway Drive.

Deep Blue.

That is all.

Deep Blue is just such a loving amazing album.

I mean, just. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPYRoTGprHc

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New Acacia joint "Victims Of The Cave" is on YouTube/their Facebook.

I like it. It's heavy. The guitar tone crushes, and Vincent's vocals have never been better. Unfortunately it's lyrically more of Wormwood, with no sense of humor and forced rhymes for the sake of rhyming.

I will always love the Strain but man I wish they'd write some lyrics like 3750/Dead Walk/Continent again.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

New Acacia joint "Victims Of The Cave" is on YouTube/their Facebook.

I like it. It's heavy. The guitar tone crushes, and Vincent's vocals have never been better. Unfortunately it's lyrically more of Wormwood, with no sense of humor and forced rhymes for the sake of rhyming.

I will always love the Strain but man I wish they'd write some lyrics like 3750/Dead Walk/Continent again.

Just listening to this now.

I've been really disappointed with everything they've done since Continent, they really nailed it with that tape and everything since that just seems boring in comparison.

This new tune has no groove, just seems the same boring tempo all the way through. I have to say I was really looking forward to hearing the whole album but this has turned me off.

Link for anyone that hasn't heard it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIGD_aLs6w

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

They have some groove on a few Wormwood tracks (The Carpathian stands out in my mind) but you're overall right. I think somewhere in the transition from metalcore to metal, the groove got lost. DL is blasting hardcore Meshuggah worship on every riff he writes nowadays. It works, and I still enjoy the sound, but like I said... I miss the Continent and earlier style.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Compare that track to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTkvAIXgEB0

There is no comparison, they could be 2 completely different bands. This song gets me excited the other puts me to sleep.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

You all shut your filthy mouths. Do you want Vincent to continue to write about killing girls or whatever? I agree that some humor and liveliness could come back but the subject matter overall is dark and sick.

This new song is heavy as gently caress. I love it. Everyone worships Continent but I think that's my least favorite album. The Dead Walk is the undisputed best and I feel Continent was a watered down version of that. They took things in a different direction with Wormwood but really nailed it and are continuing in that direction.

The Acacia Strain are absolutely a live band and when I hear Continent songs I'm usually taking a breath. JFC is a pretty bad song to use as a closer but I'm sure they do it for that "I am the end of the world" chant. Dr Doom is a pretty crappy song except the end. My favorite song is Seaward and I've never once heard them play it. gently caress, I think the bonus songs are better than anything on the actual album.

Wormwood songs live are faster than the album and still heavy and mean as gently caress. They just announced a tour and I am possibly seeing them two nights in a row. Couldn't be more stoked.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
^ This guy is fired up about his favorite band.

Can we stop calling em tapes yet?

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

I understand music is entirely subjective so my opinion means no more or less than yours, but seriously, you spew molten bullshit 24/7.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Can we stop calling em tapes yet?

No, you may not. I pioneered the use of that term and I demand everyone be just like me.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

BiohazrD posted:

This is the ultimate PWD clip :australia:
http://youtu.be/HafGJQXGFuY

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

You all shut your filthy mouths. Do you want Vincent to continue to write about killing girls or whatever? I agree that some humor and liveliness could come back but the subject matter overall is dark and sick.
:words:

Yes. Yes we do. Dark and sick is what makes metal.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Acacia Strain sucks. Someone post that new Danza track again.

also, the new Abiotic song is pretty tits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuz-Rtce6KA

my band is recording at this studio so i'm stoked to hear how good the production sounds

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Acacia Strain seem to have lost their swagger. Perhaps it's hard to swagger when your guitar has too many strings and you need to gesture along with your rhyming lyrics.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

This song too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VmL2tqnQb8

Probably one of the heaviest-albums I've heard, the production is excellent.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Deliver me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So the new Acacia Strain sucks but generic rear end Parkway Drive is cum-worthy?

This thread lol :downs:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

OnlyJuanMon posted:

MMMCCLI posted:

I understand music is entirely subjective so my opinion means no more or less than yours, but seriously, you spew molten bullshit 24/7.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MMMCCLI posted:

Good rebuttal, newjack. I'm sure you can't wait for the new Miss May I to drop. Diapers in aisle 4, gtfo.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

God you are the worst loving poster

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
'Victims...' sounds better than 'servants.' Listening to the former i was dissapointed until it got to the last third of the track, which is when it picks up tempo and in hindsight it's a solid song and i hate to say it but it's got a maturity in song structure alot of their other stuff doesn't have. i like songs that shoot their wad in the first 20 seconds don't get me wrong. i can see how you'd hate this in comparison to dr doom, but i still don't mind it. what i remember of 'Servants' tho makes me think this album could just be ten tracks of 'tactical nuke' back to back.

listening to dr doom right now. not too sure what to think lol.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lpftvYDMA

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

I just came here to post this because now I seriously nearly shat myself to death.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Oh no don't post any more Parkway Drive, ShoogaSlim will have another hissy fit.

Song is O.K., need a few more listens as I had to listen to Deep Blue a few times to really get into it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MMMCCLI posted:

Oh no don't post any more Parkway Drive, ShoogaSlim will have another hissy fit.

Song is O.K., need a few more listens as I had to listen to Deep Blue a few times to really get into it.

I had the same thing happen to me with Deep Blue. Went from "this is nothing special" and put it aside for like a year and a half and just started listening to it again and went "Holy poo poo, this is awesome"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Parkway Drive isn't bad but it's so agonizingly generic. I can get down to it but nothing makes me want to go out of my way to listen. Just like the latest The Ghost Inside album (*not* "tape" - ugh) it's so loving boring.

Am I supposed to contribute to this massive circlejerk or am I allowed to have my own opinion? Ok, cool, thanks.

Musical opinions aside I think/hope we can all agree that music videos showcasing the band "playing" are loving stupid. TAS did this with The Impaler and it was the entire video.. lazy and boring as hell. Live footage doesn't count, obviously. I mean when they're like in a desert or basement somewhere.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Hydra Head Records died :( http://hydraheadlines.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-imminent-demise-of-hydra-head.html

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That didn't take long.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

ShoogaSlim posted:

Musical opinions aside I think/hope we can all agree that music videos showcasing the band "playing" are loving stupid. TAS did this with The Impaler and it was the entire video.. lazy and boring as hell. Live footage doesn't count, obviously. I mean when they're like in a desert or basement somewhere.

I prefer it to when they try to have a story or something, although live footage is easily the best. I like TAS' Smoke Ya Later video. It's just them playing in a basement, but should have toned down the "low quality" filters. Maybe just because it reminds me of back when they used to be on, like, every show around here. White belts! A clapping part!

Parkway Drive are boring, but so is new Acacia Strain. What's up with calling them tapes? I only see that in this thread, but I ALWAYS see it in this thread.

I've been listening to nothing but old Hydra Head releases today and it's one of the best decisions I've made in awhile. RIP :( (I hope they repress "We are the Romans" before they shut down for good, I'd like to get it at a reasonable price)

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Easily one of the best music videos of the genre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skETzIrLQZw

As for calling albums tapes, might be an age thing or maybe we're just dicks.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Hey, I'll take calling them tapes over just listing off bands no one has ever heard of just for cool points like in the hardcore thread.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Hey, I'll take calling them tapes over just listing off bands no one has ever heard of just for cool points like in the hardcore thread.

Those bands no one has ever heard of probably still put out actual tapes though. Besides, someone listing off bands I've never heard of means I have now heard of them and can go check them out.

I don't care one way or the other about calling them "tapes." I grew up with cassettes (and still buy them) but I've always just said "album." Just wondering if there was any reason this thread uses the term.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I imagine it's because it gives an image of legitimacy to the person who uses it, as in "yeah that's right I was into this poo poo when most of you were making GBS threads your pants still and we had these things called CASSETTE TAPES and i jerked off GG Allin's microdick one time"

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Man PWD has been pretty downhill since Horizons imo

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Kevar posted:

Those bands no one has ever heard of probably still put out actual tapes though. Besides, someone listing off bands I've never heard of means I have now heard of them and can go check them out.

I don't care one way or the other about calling them "tapes." I grew up with cassettes (and still buy them) but I've always just said "album." Just wondering if there was any reason this thread uses the term.

I literally invented it. It started as a reference to a video clip of a man sticking his finger in his dickhole that i encountered on the internet ("if you're watching this tape, you're one of the club") and expanded to encompass all facets of life. I was like hey, if we call them CDs or records, why not call them tapes? And it took off from there. For some reason I just thought it was really hilarious that he said "tape" because it made me think of the oversized clamshell Disney tape cases.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Man PWD has been pretty downhill since Horizons imo

World's Worst Opinion

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

krustster posted:

World's Worst Opinion

An opinion I share unfortunately. I'm not saying they're bad now, just liked their earlier stuff more. Is that a crime?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

An opinion I share unfortunately. I'm not saying they're bad now, just liked their earlier stuff more. Is that a crime?

;)

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Most of the songs on Deep Blue are boring riff -> generic breakdown

Karma and Leviathan I are ok, I guess, but the rest are just really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
i'll take smoke 'em if you got em over anything on deep blue, every time.