Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
T-Rex dread just wants to be loved.

Weathering for orks:

50/50 boltgun+mithril

Nuln oil

vallejo orange pigment + rubbing alcohol, then wash with rubbing alcohol to get it to move into the recesses.

Sponge boltgun+mithril mix on for quick highlights

edge highlights with pure mithril

The trick to weathering is sponges!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

PaintVagrant posted:

For a good rust pattern? Never would have thought. Writing this poo poo down for my painting in this months oath contest.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

For a good rust pattern? Never would have thought. Writing this poo poo down for my painting in this months oath contest.

Yeah you can sponge on the pigments. But make sure to use rubbing alcohol to get it to flow into the recesses, rust should be in the recesses and paint chips/etc should be on the edges.

I was super stoked about how that rust pattern on ghaz's "head" came out, and that was just me daubing a brush on it a few times randomly.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

Gauze comes in lots of varieties for different wound needs. I'm working on a terrain piece with gauze soaked in watered-down PVA glue at the moment:

You can't tell there, but after drybrushing a lot of the texture comes out. Here's some more WIP terrain:

Oh poo poo buffalochicken post :pcgaming: :slick:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

gently caress yeah buffalochicken posts, best posts.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Asphyxious posted:

Thinking of making a chaos blood bowl team for shits and giggles (and maybe to play? ha! silly Asphyxious, you have no time!) and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas for how to make cool looking Chaos Warrior players? I like the designs from the PC game and wouldn't mind emulating those, just looking for a good starting point.

Current edition chaos warriors, but you might not like the fur capes.

Current Chaos Space Marines, but they may look too futuristic for your tastes.

Or possibly the best option, 5th edition chaos warriors, but they may be hard to track down.

Alternatively you could look at http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=home and dig around, but the sculpts range from good to garbage and the prices can be a little over the top.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Isn't rubbing alcohol a paint stripper? I know it's taken a few layers of some models I've done. Are you just super light with the alcohol?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Isn't rubbing alcohol a paint stripper? I know it's taken a few layers of some models I've done. Are you just super light with the alcohol?

It is. I try to apply it without putting much pressure on the brush, and not in a large quantity. It then sits and evaporates without damaging the paint. If you push it around a lot you will remove paint, but I ahvent had too much trouble with it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

What up weathered yellow bro:

For real though it's such an awesome way to paint.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Weathered yellow looks so boss.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Use 60/70% and will not strip paint, if you use 90% it takes poo poo off rather fast.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

What up weathered yellow bro:

For real though it's such an awesome way to paint.

:hfive:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Can I ask you what you found that's similar? I'd love to use those seed pods but don't want to pay that much (I'm hella cheap).

I ended up at Hudson & Allen Studio who seem to make stuff for dioramas at museums and claymation movies.

http://www.hudsonandallen.com/

The Autumn leaves were $10 and the forest litter for underneath was $8.50. Seems like the 2 bags of each I got should do the entire army easy. (pMadrak for scale)

Epic Fear Job
Jun 2, 2007
my other car is a porsche on the moon
Hey guys, an update of my spider from a while back:

Progress has been slow, but it's almost done! Just the last couple goblins and some minor details, mostly.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
What is with all the awesome yellows on this page? Rad spider Epic Fear Job.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Epic Fear Job posted:

Hey guys, an update of my spider from a while back:

Progress has been slow, but it's almost done! Just the last couple goblins and some minor details, mostly.

Jesus Christ

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yellow page is best page.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't understand. Why, if someone is having someone like Paintvagrant paint their large mini, would they have him use the Black Reach Dreadnought body? It's like having Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel on the ceiling of a 7-11.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't understand. Why, if someone is having someone like Paintvagrant paint their large mini, would they have him use the Black Reach Dreadnought body? It's like having Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel on the ceiling of a 7-11.

It was an army using a couple of black reach boxes, painted at a good TT standard. He then later wanted me to add riflemanz arms.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Because I was naive when I ordered my first army. I didn't know there was much of a difference between the AoBR Dreads and other Dreads. I just wanted a sweet looking space marine army, and PV delivered. After I got more into it, I realized I probably should've commissioned some (nay ...most) of my models differently. But gently caress it; they look awesome anyways, so I'm happy to play them.

Recently I wanted to add an Ironclad to my army, and I needed some Rifleman Dreads too. Since I already had the AoBR Dreads painted up by PV, and the sockets were magnetized, it was a no-brainer to simply have new arms magnetized to the existing body.

Despite being the inferior AoBR models, I still think they look cool as poo poo.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The AoBR dreadnought is really not that bad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fyrbrand posted:

No, it isn't. For a cheapo starter box filler, it, and by extension, all the rest of the models in that box, are really, really top notch. That box was an excellent value.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Not a viking posted:

Do what you usually do when you highlight, only you start with the lighter color. I know it sounds awkward, but I did it for my K'daai Destroyer and it isn't hard to do.

Whoa, where's that model from?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

I agree. And when it's painted up by PV, I really have no complaints about it at all.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

BuffaloChicken posted:

You can't tell there, but after drybrushing a lot of the texture comes out. Here's some more WIP terrain:

Heroscape terrain spotted

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

I know it's not. But if you're going to have someone like PV paint it, why not put the best model possible forward?

But I understand why now, thanks to his explanation.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Elf image dump-

Not my finest, but I'm pretty proud of them.

I should really start doing some oaths.

e : I just noticed the WB is different in every. Single. One of those photos. That is God awful.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 12, 2012

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Current edition chaos warriors, but you might not like the fur capes.

This is the most likely, but it's not the capes that bother me, rather it's the very static poses. I think for what I want to do, I would need Warrior legs, but maybe the Knights everything else? Thanks though!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nash posted:

Heroscape terrain spotted

How else are we supposed to play the Mech Warrior tabletop game?

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Finally finished Ashlynn... what a brilliantly terrible sculpt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It might be a lousy sculpt, but you have done a really awesome job of it. It's tempting me to repaint my Ashlynn to try and improve her, but gently caress it I'm going to wait for them to release the new sculpt and just put my energy into that.

Really nice job on the face! Whenever I try to paint eyes and lips I end up with something that looks like someone botoxed a chameleon, so I am impressed.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Ashcans posted:

It might be a lousy sculpt, but you have done a really awesome job of it. It's tempting me to repaint my Ashlynn to try and improve her, but gently caress it I'm going to wait for them to release the new sculpt and just put my energy into that.

Really nice job on the face! Whenever I try to paint eyes and lips I end up with something that looks like someone botoxed a chameleon, so I am impressed.

A buddy ninja shopped the new Ashynn for me while he was at pax, it's a really awesome sculpt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Manifest posted:

A buddy ninja shopped the new Ashynn for me while he was at pax, it's a really awesome sculpt.

It's great to hear that, but I still hate you and hope that you manage to choke on your beautiful new model! Goddamn if I knew that PP was going to take so long to put it on regular sale I would have begged/paid some dude to buy it for me. :(

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Fyrbrand posted:

gently caress yeah buffalochicken posts, best posts.
:allears:

PV, your clump foliage you sent forever ago has been amazing on my bases and is going to go to use on this terrain. I'll be sure to post finished pictures - hopefully the foliating process will happen in the next day or two and these will start looking like proper jungle pieces.

You guys are so lovely I'll have to upload photos of my new counts-as-Catachan Grey Knights allies with a powerloader Sentinel.

Here's some minis for content:

And some hobby-related ebay auctions that goons might have some interest in.

My Slann Mage Priest which needs a good home. Gotta love them tropic colors.

Some InstantMold Oyumaru stuff which will blow your mind while simultaneously saving you money on bitz and making your conversions instantly better, also attracting women.

And the wonderful camera I've taken almost all my mini photos ever with, currently at $8. Even the $75 BIN is a steal.

Thanks for putting up with my hawking, keep posting the pretty minis. :)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Ashcans posted:

It's great to hear that, but I still hate you and hope that you manage to choke on your beautiful new model! Goddamn if I knew that PP was going to take so long to put it on regular sale I would have begged/paid some dude to buy it for me. :(

If it makes you feel any better she looks like a french revolutionary in warcaster armor.
I had the same plan as you, wait for the store.
But then a buddy mentioned he was going to pax and I said "gently caress it" and had him pick up Ashlynn and the IKRPG. IKRPG is boss as gently caress.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Two questions: What is the deal with thinning metallic paints? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting advice, where some people are saying that thinning it separates the metal flakes to a point that it becomes patchier than if you didn't thin it at all, and some people claim if you don't thin them you will have a gloopy mess. I've always thinned them but I hate using metallics because they look so rough compared to "standard" colors. Should I not be thinning them?

Secondly, argh gently caress GW for renaming their paint line yet again. What basecoat color is Gretchin green now? Ditto for devlan mud and boltgun metal. Seriously was i necessary to change the names up so soon? And these new names suck rear end, I don't know what the vast majority of them are even supposed to be named after so it doesn't really help me figure out which ones to buy.

Finally, what is the deal with the whole "layer 1 / layer 2" stuff? Are the layer 2s just supposed to be highlight colors corresponding to the layer 1s or something?

I feel like an old person.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Honey Badger posted:

Secondly, argh gently caress GW for renaming their paint line yet again. What basecoat color is Gretchin green now? Ditto for devlan mud and boltgun metal. Seriously was i necessary to change the names up so soon? And these new names suck rear end, I don't know what the vast majority of them are even supposed to be named after so it doesn't really help me figure out which ones to buy.

Finally, what is the deal with the whole "layer 1 / layer 2" stuff? Are the layer 2s just supposed to be highlight colors corresponding to the layer 1s or something?

Oh not this loving discussion again. The names were never descriptive in the first place. They didn't just rename the paints either, they completely redid the entire line. Some of the paints have pretty much the same color but a lot of them are very different, and some of them don't have an analogue from the previous line.

AFAIK there's no difference between layer 1 and 2.

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

Honey Badger posted:

Here is a conversion chart, old man. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat730002a&categoryId=6800002a&section&aId=21600002a

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up my Stormgoldfish:

A shot of the pilot before getting glued in:

The scenic base:

And the whole thing all together:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I haven't even begun purchasing my first WH40k army but every time I see a Slann Mage Priest I want to start a Lizardman army. I suppose I should learn to paint first. :sigh:

That is the coolest paint job I've seen on one yet.

• Locked thread