Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pick posted:

Speaking of bikes, there's this guy I know who loves to bike. He travels a lot and has quirky but inoffensive interests, like 1950s-era comedies, nootropics, camping, and obscure regional alcohols. He and his family are well-off, but he likes to live simply (and is currently in an apartment). He's into music, too, but he already has an excellent music player and stereo system. Can anyone think of a reasonably expensive gift for a guy like that which communicates "Happy birthday!" with a discernible undertone of "I will absolutely sleep with you if you're interested"?

He likes music so you could get him a sexy cd/song/itunes download. I think Aqua's first album with Barbie Girl would be a reasonably clear hint. You could also try this song from the same singer. Of course, us guys are really dense and he might not get that you want to sleep with him regardless of what you get him.

I'd suggest acting like an adult instead and asking him out. If you're really nervous make the first date something innocuous like going to the movies. It worked well for my girlfriend :3: Get him something he likes for his birthday and don't worry about it being suggestive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pick posted:

Speaking of bikes, there's this guy I know who loves to bike. He travels a lot and has quirky but inoffensive interests, like 1950s-era comedies, nootropics, camping, and obscure regional alcohols. He and his family are well-off, but he likes to live simply (and is currently in an apartment). He's into music, too, but he already has an excellent music player and stereo system. Can anyone think of a reasonably expensive gift for a guy like that which communicates "Happy birthday!" with a discernible undertone of "I will absolutely sleep with you if you're interested"?

What's reasonable?
A nice record player would be appreciated. Or some art that you enjoy. I dig that poo poo.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My pillows are absolute poo poo. Can anyone recommend some good, comfortable pillows?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Gyshall posted:

My pillows are absolute poo poo. Can anyone recommend some good, comfortable pillows?

Pillows are a huge personal opinion based on what type of sleeper you are (side, back, stomach, combination) as well as how firm or soft you like your pillows.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Pick posted:

One of those 55 gallon drums of lube off of Amazon?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LLSix posted:

I'd suggest acting like an adult instead and asking him out. If you're really nervous make the first date something innocuous like going to the movies. It worked well for my girlfriend :3: Get him something he likes for his birthday and don't worry about it being suggestive.

I never said I wanted to date him.

1redflag posted:

What's reasonable?
A nice record player would be appreciated. Or some art that you enjoy. I dig that poo poo.
He could definitely use some wall art! It seems so terribly subjective, though :ohdear:. Anyone know of any good art sites, by the way? Things for walls which aren't posters? Ideally a little bit more consistent than Etsy.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Pick posted:

A card that reads, "Happy birthday, want to gently caress?" would probably fit everything except the "reasonably expensive" part. In my experience, though, just because someone is well-off, doesn't mean you have to spend excessive money on a gift. Something thoughtful is appreciated regardless of expense.

Imasalmon has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Sep 2, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
A Hallmark card and a cast of your penis, perhaps?

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
I think it has been previously mentioned, can anyone recommend a good in line water filter for drinking water at the sink?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Pick posted:

A nice record, some camping gear, something useful for traveling- like a nice travel blanket and pillow?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Pick posted:

A bottle of booze.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Pick posted:

How about "I Want You" by Elvis Costello on vinyl?

It's actually quite a sad song but the title should help with your intentions.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Guy Axlerod posted:

A bottle of booze.

A bottle of booze, and two nice glasses for you to share bottle of booze together.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

I'm looking for a recommendation for a tv stand that can hold a 47" tv as well as a Xbox 360, a PS3 and a blu-ray player. I'm looking for something in the $100 range, although I don't mind going over if it's really worth the extra money.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Baldbeard posted:

I need help! I really want to buy an upright exercise bike, but I have come up short after days of researching different models. I'm willing to spend up to 350$, and all I really want is something that is reliable and has basic resistance control.

Basically every model I look up has reviews of people complaining of either pedals that break, resistance controls that give out, or mystery sounds that are unbearably loud. I refuse to believe I have to spend 700$ on a commercial bike to get something that won't break down after a few months.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I've heard the classic Schwinn Airdyne bikes are pretty awesome and since they're all mechanical they're dead reliable. On the downside they're noisy/windy. Look for one on craigslist maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Airdy...8656c7064757-20

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Double post!

Can someone recommend me a photo backup/sharing site? We take a lot of pictures with our DSLR and then put them on our computer and never really do anything with them after that. I'd really love to have a service like Carbonite (which I already have) that will monitor specific folders and automatically upload/sync to the web. I can then decide which folders I'd like to invite people to, etc. Maybe we can do this with Picasa and I just haven't set it up good enough yet?

I'm trying to see if carbonite will let me do this, but it seems that I can only share items to facebook, which is not what I want. Ideally it would just be a URL with a authentication token embedded in it or something.

I'm willing to pay for this service, but not a whole lot. My pictures are already backed up through carbonite so this is only so we can be better sharing pictures with people.

e: Dropbox would work but I'd be paying $100/year for 100GB storage, on top of the $70 or whatever I'm paying for carbonite already. Doesn't seem worth it :(

dreesemonkey has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Sep 4, 2012

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Burger McAngus posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a tv stand that can hold a 47" tv as well as a Xbox 360, a PS3 and a blu-ray player. I'm looking for something in the $100 range, although I don't mind going over if it's really worth the extra money.

I'm not sure what kind of style you want/prefer, but I love this stand for my 55" TV. I have a PS3, DVR box, and receiver that all fit inside of it. They do make a black version of the stand also.

http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Echo-50-Video-Espresso/dp/B001523EGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346777500&sr=8-1&keywords=echo+50

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

My new apartment's stairs are too narrow to fit a queen-sized boxspring up (but we managed to get the mattress upstairs). I'm looking for something to get my mattress off the ground and I've been looking primarily at bed frames. Does anyone have any recommendations for either a bed frame or some other way to keep my mattress off the ground?

Something that I can collapse or dismantle to get back down the stairs would be ideal, but not absolutely required.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
You can get split queen boxsprings for not much more than a regular boxspring or bedframe. I find bed sets that just hold mattresses can get quite pricey.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

FadingChord posted:

My new apartment's stairs are too narrow to fit a queen-sized boxspring up (but we managed to get the mattress upstairs). I'm looking for something to get my mattress off the ground and I've been looking primarily at bed frames. Does anyone have any recommendations for either a bed frame or some other way to keep my mattress off the ground?

Something that I can collapse or dismantle to get back down the stairs would be ideal, but not absolutely required.

The IKEA Malm bedframes (and most of their bedframes, I think) do not require box springs. You buy the frame, and then 2 sets of wooden slats to run between the frame and the center support beam. I've had two different IKEA beds in queen size, and found them to be sturdy, attractive, and cheap. You can usually pick up a frame on craigslist for a substantial discount (just make sure you're not in an area at-risk for bedbugs).

skirth
Oct 29, 2010
Any recommendations for a compact drip coffee machine? Preferably something that looks quite nice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WickedIcon posted:

A Hallmark card and a cast of your penis, perhaps?

That would be profoundly difficult :psyduck:.

Anyway, after thinking about that art suggestion, I settled for two large scratch-off-where-you've-been maps which would look good on his bare walls and help him celebrate all the cool places he has traveled both in the US and worldwide. I was tempted to add "MY VAGINA" as an unscratched location but I decided to play it classy :saddowns:.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Gyshall posted:

For a general pillow, I'm a big fan of the Pacific Coast Double DownAround Pillow. Pretty expensive right now, but they go on sale for $35 pretty often. JCPenny sells them cheap sometimes also.

If you are more are back-sleeper/memory foam type of person. The Sleep Better Contour Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow is pretty good and is also $35. Just make sure you get the contour version, and not the traditional shaped one, traditional shaped is terrible.

overseerbrian has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Sep 6, 2012

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Robin Sparkles has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Sep 8, 2012

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
I like smugmug.com.

dreesemonkey posted:

Double post!

Can someone recommend me a photo backup/sharing site? We take a lot of pictures with our DSLR and then put them on our computer and never really do anything with them after that. I'd really love to have a service like Carbonite (which I already have) that will monitor specific folders and automatically upload/sync to the web. I can then decide which folders I'd like to invite people to, etc. Maybe we can do this with Picasa and I just haven't set it up good enough yet?

I'm trying to see if carbonite will let me do this, but it seems that I can only share items to facebook, which is not what I want. Ideally it would just be a URL with a authentication token embedded in it or something.

I'm willing to pay for this service, but not a whole lot. My pictures are already backed up through carbonite so this is only so we can be better sharing pictures with people.

e: Dropbox would work but I'd be paying $100/year for 100GB storage, on top of the $70 or whatever I'm paying for carbonite already. Doesn't seem worth it :(

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Double post!

I use Microsoft's new Skydrive, which is actually really great for photo sharing (you can share individual photos or folders by URL, with permissions similar to google docs). Here's an example: http://sdrv.ms/SoNuJe It automatically thumbnails the pictures, and the interface is surprisingly clean and smooth either though the browser or on the iPhone. It's not awesome as pure backup, since there isn't a way to undelete or roll back to a previous version, but since you're already using carbonite you should be okay.

You start out with like 7GB of free storage (or 25 if you signed up for the beta), and +20GB on top of that is only $10/year (which is what I'm using). +50gb is $25, and +100gb is $50.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
I'm 6'3" and have an issue with XL t-shirts being way too short. I've tried 2XL but those just seem to go wider and not longer. It looks like I'm wearing a sheet. Anyway, anyone have recommendations where can I get some t-shirts online that are nice and long in XL size? Thanks

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

teamgod posted:

I'm 6'3" and have an issue with XL t-shirts being way too short. I've tried 2XL but those just seem to go wider and not longer. It looks like I'm wearing a sheet. Anyway, anyone have recommendations where can I get some t-shirts online that are nice and long in XL size? Thanks

If your torso is that long you need to shop at Big & Tall stores. An XL/2XL size is meant to cover a fatter torso, not a longer one. You probably need a medium or large in a long size, depending on how thin you are.

Like this range:

Edit:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes/tall.jsp?iNextCategory=-1

http://www.hanes.com/clothing/men/big---tall/view-all-tall/hanes-classics-tall-man-crew-tagless-reg%3B-t-shirt-2-pack

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Sep 7, 2012

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

jojoinnit posted:

If your torso is that long you need to shop at Big & Tall stores. An XL/2XL size is meant to cover a fatter torso, not a longer one. You probably need a medium or large in a long size, depending on how thin you are.

Like this range:

Edit:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes/tall.jsp?iNextCategory=-1

http://www.hanes.com/clothing/men/big---tall/view-all-tall/hanes-classics-tall-man-crew-tagless-reg%3B-t-shirt-2-pack

I recommend looking at big & tall sizes also. I'm 6'4" and I generally don't buy any shirts that aren't extra long or "tall", especially after I lost weight. Its the only way short of getting your shirts tailored that going to really fit.

For a range of clothes, old navy, gap, and banana republic all sell big & tall on their websites.

mystes
May 31, 2006

teamgod posted:

I'm 6'2" with a long torso (but slightly short arms) and I've found that medium Mossimo t-shirts from Target (they are quite long and are nice and cheap but only buy the 50/50 cotton/polyester ones) and Banana republic/Gap medium tall shirts work well. You might have luck with these or with large/tall sizes (you may actually have more options if large/tall shirts fit you since this seems to be a more common size).

Some athletic clothing companies may also have appropriately sized shirts.

mystes has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Sep 7, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a small bag and I need a piece of carryon luggage. I'll start with saying I am a huge fan of Chrome and Tom Bihn bags and that's the level of quality I'm looking at.

Small bag:
I like Chrome's stuff normally but their Vega has some specific issues. A padded laptop slot would have been nice, but as it is it's just a big square bag. I don't like the squareness. Also the little tab on the strap adjuster looks dumb.

Tom Bihn has the Ristretto which has a slot, but the front of it for whatever reason has both a flap and a zippered pocket. What's the point of the zipper pocket instead of having pens and whatnot exposed? I dislike that. The large Cafe bag just looks doofy to me for some reason.

Carry-on:
Chrome has nothing worth using for luggage other than the Boris which is a discontinued model and I just sold the one I had because it really was too simple a bag. I love the Tom Bihn Aeronaut but it's 250 dollars. I find this hard to justify when my complaint with the Boris was simply that it was too simple a bag, but I mean I can buy one for like 60-70 bucks. I'd prefer whatever piece of carry on luggage I get to have an integrated laptop area but it's not totally necessary.

Anyone have a favorite manpurse or carryon?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

signalnoise posted:

I need a small bag and I need a piece of carryon luggage. I'll start with saying I am a huge fan of Chrome and Tom Bihn bags and that's the level of quality I'm looking at.

Small bag:
I like Chrome's stuff normally but their Vega has some specific issues. A padded laptop slot would have been nice, but as it is it's just a big square bag. I don't like the squareness. Also the little tab on the strap adjuster looks dumb.

Tom Bihn has the Ristretto which has a slot, but the front of it for whatever reason has both a flap and a zippered pocket. What's the point of the zipper pocket instead of having pens and whatnot exposed? I dislike that. The large Cafe bag just looks doofy to me for some reason.

Carry-on:
Chrome has nothing worth using for luggage other than the Boris which is a discontinued model and I just sold the one I had because it really was too simple a bag. I love the Tom Bihn Aeronaut but it's 250 dollars. I find this hard to justify when my complaint with the Boris was simply that it was too simple a bag, but I mean I can buy one for like 60-70 bucks. I'd prefer whatever piece of carry on luggage I get to have an integrated laptop area but it's not totally necessary.

Anyone have a favorite manpurse or carryon?

I've traveled solely out of my Tom Bihn Aeronaut for years (and 6 month extended stays) and love it to death. It's still as clean and sturdy as the day I bought it, and it's seen thousands of miles and countless trips. It's the only carry-on I ever need.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Blentecs are good but when you get a Vitamix you know it will last forever. I know people who have had them for 20+ years.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm gonna go ahead and plug Reef sandals and flip-flops. I have weird feet and every single pair of sandals I've ever worn have given me horrid blisters.

Not the Reefs though. Insanely comfortable, VERY well made(I'm 270 pounds and they stood up to me climbing all over rocks, and a scooter crash) and most have a bottle opener on the sole. They are pricey, 50 dollars or so, so if you're the kind that loses sandals maybe they're not the best. But they're perfect for me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My current go-to manpurse that can accommodate my laptop is the Muzetto bag from Waterfield (https://www.sfbags.com). It's pretty snug with my 15" laptop in there, but has enough room for a large book, or 2-3 smaller books, and my power cord.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a recommendation for a backpack. This semester I'm not carrying a lot- 1 textbook, 1 binder, 2 notebooks, an iPad, a bottle, and small things like a calculator. I probably will never carry a laptop with me ever again, but having the option isn't a deal killer. I want good quality without being huge and made of overly-heavy material.

I was looking at this one.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

MA-Horus posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and plug Reef sandals and flip-flops. I have weird feet and every single pair of sandals I've ever worn have given me horrid blisters.

Not the Reefs though. Insanely comfortable, VERY well made(I'm 270 pounds and they stood up to me climbing all over rocks, and a scooter crash) and most have a bottle opener on the sole. They are pricey, 50 dollars or so, so if you're the kind that loses sandals maybe they're not the best. But they're perfect for me.

I've had a pair of reef sandals for 5 years, and they are still incredibly comfortable. They get a shitload of wear from me as well. I legitimately think the reef fanning is the best sandal ever made. I found a place going out of business a while back that was selling them for 10 bucks? I have 3 pairs sitting in a closet. I don't think i'll need sandals for at least 20 years.

http://shop.reef.com/fanning/d/1019_c_103

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

rawrr posted:

I use Microsoft's new Skydrive, which is actually really great for photo sharing (you can share individual photos or folders by URL, with permissions similar to google docs). Here's an example: http://sdrv.ms/SoNuJe It automatically thumbnails the pictures, and the interface is surprisingly clean and smooth either though the browser or on the iPhone. It's not awesome as pure backup, since there isn't a way to undelete or roll back to a previous version, but since you're already using carbonite you should be okay.

You start out with like 7GB of free storage (or 25 if you signed up for the beta), and +20GB on top of that is only $10/year (which is what I'm using). +50gb is $25, and +100gb is $50.

Thanks, this sounds quite promising! I've actually just started batch-resizing my images to dropbox and sharing the URL out which has worked pretty good but I think I'll use this in the future if space becomes a problem.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Not so much looking for a recommendation, but does anyone know of stores that carry just plain old magnets? I was going to order some rare earths from Amazon but they don't do quick shipping on them and I need them for a project this weekend. I really just need a good sized ceramic magnet or a few rare earth magnets but I'm having a hell of a time tracking them down locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jibo posted:

Not so much looking for a recommendation, but does anyone know of stores that carry just plain old magnets? I was going to order some rare earths from Amazon but they don't do quick shipping on them and I need them for a project this weekend. I really just need a good sized ceramic magnet or a few rare earth magnets but I'm having a hell of a time tracking them down locally.

Is there a Discovery Channel store nearby?

Do those still exist

• Locked thread