Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I haven't spoken much of my middle school best friend in fear that the universe screws me over and leads her to me, but... She and I were huge Yu-Gi-Oh (original series) fans. Huge. She occasionally "transformed" into Yami Bakura or Seto Kaiba and "channeled" their personalities, but usually only around me. She thought I held the soul of Bakura, if I recall, and thought I was Seto's soulmate and Yami Bakura's lover or something of the sort. This led to a number of awkward encounters in which her alternate personalities would hit on me, make moves, but never "seal the deal" with physical contact. Since she never did anything too insane in my young eyes, I didn't run off. Besides, how can you just give up on YGO/Pokemon crossover fanfiction? :haw: I was stuck between believing it (because it'd be way cooler/more fun than real life) and knowing it was all just an escapist lie. The friendship fell apart when she went to live with her grandparents at 14, and we couldn't keep regular contact anymore. I haven't heard much about her since. I think she has a kid, undoubtedly named something peculiar, but that's all I know. :shrug:

For context, we were lonely, outcast 12-year-olds that spent tons of time together, watching YGO and Pokemon, roleplaying on paper, LARPing, writing fanfiction, on and on... It was how I escaped from my anxiety and panic disorders (I was diagnosed when I was 10), and in an odd way, it helped me return to the real world. I had self confidence through the personalities I projected. Later on, I shed the roleplaying and learned how to be (more) normal. Fast forwarding 9 years, I still watch some anime when it's recommended to me and I'm certainly weird, but not like that. I'm pursuing a normal person degree to get a normal person career and lead a normal person life with normal people, and that's okay with me.

Does that make me a survivor? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

broken pixel posted:

Does that make me a survivor? :raise:

Probably, congratulations on apparently being healthy about escapism. May you never claim to have gone to Hogwarts for duelling.

Also I used to watch Yu-Gi-Oh when I was a (younger) kid, thought I could make the hologram player things and was annoyed the real life cards weren't as sturdy as the show ones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

and was annoyed the real life cards weren't as sturdy as the show ones.
I know, right? Those things must have been little steel plates.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Colon V posted:

I know, right? Those things must have been little steel plates.

Plus they were two small, tried to convince my dad that we should print and sell more "realistic" cards. Copyright apparently wasn't part of my lexicon.

Bet the two Yu-Gi-Oh lunatics would hate Abridged.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Bet the two Yu-Gi-Oh lunatics would hate Abridged.

"Fubuki" adored Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged and quoted it incessantly. It's a weak parody full of dumb memes, so of course a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! and 4chan would love it.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Saeku posted:

"Fubuki" adored Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged and quoted it incessantly. It's a weak parody full of dumb memes, so of course a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! and 4chan would love it.

Would have thought the making fun of their alter egos/spouses/children/rapists would annoy them. Oh well, maybe if someone makes an actually biting satire.

Actually how do the Denises of the world react to parody of their fixations?

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 12, 2012

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
An update on my friend who was marrying a man who had a (probably imaginary) sister who was a 'lesbian stripper ninja':
The scales seem to have fallen from her eyes because she broke up with him then kicked him out of their house. It turns out for all he talks about his military/private security experience, he hasn't held a job in five years.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mind Loving Owl posted:

See? More of this! Has the thread just exhausted the crazy? In two pages will we be talking about how insane our neighbour is for painting his house purple?

Um um um

I work at a volunteer nonprofit place, and a new guy came in today and he was being shown around. When asked to say a little bit about himself, he launched into a massive tirade about his life story. He was about 60 and Indian with a very thick accent, both of which somehow made it doubly strange and hilarious. He used to be a monk but is now a yoga instructor because he had some car accident and went back to India and he ended up returning because of carpel tunnel syndrome and... anyway, at one point he said offhandedly that he'd actually died in that accident, and came back again next year. I was like, "Wtf I MUST have misheard that", and his accent was so thick that it was possible, but then he elaborated on how his passport actually has his incorrect age on it because the one year he spent, uh, dead, was in fact several years for him wherever he was.

The supervisor told him that he'd just start off doing the unskilled labour and crap, but that later when he knew the place better he could expand into other areas if he wanted, and he was REALLY against that. "No! No no no absolutely not, at my time of life I am done expanding, I will not be learning anything else!"

Then he and the supervisor went elsewhere, and when she came back she said, "You know that Indian man is very fascinating, he was a monk for 40 years!"
"Yeah... fascinating. That's one word for him."
"Oh well, Indian people often have an intensity about them. Wait it's not racist to say that, is it?"

Indian yoga monk also had this subservient elderly skinny guy with him, a bearded dude with thick eyebrows, who constantly held his shirt collar up over his mouth with one hand. I smiled at him and he waved (with his free hand) and smiled back, but I only saw the smile with his eyes because he still held up the collar. I actually wondered if he had a cold and was afraid of giving it to us or something, but then he just let the collar go after a few minutes and I have no idea what was up with that. He came up to where I was painting a bunch of giant sun-shaped props yellow and asked my name, and I said it's Corridor, and he went, "Ah! Corridor of the golden suns!" in an almost reverential way before wandering off.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Corridor posted:

:words: of actual nuttiness

See, that's what we're here for!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Most of my crazy is either "terrible human" crazy, "werewolf" crazy, or "working in the nursing home" crazy.

Unfortunately terrible human is played out, werewolf is really only one incident of werewolf and the rest terrible human, and posting nursing home stories is in terrible taste.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Imalloutofideas posted:

Most of my crazy is either "terrible human" crazy, "werewolf" crazy, or "working in the nursing home" crazy.

Unfortunately terrible human is played out, werewolf is really only one incident of werewolf and the rest terrible human, and posting nursing home stories is in terrible taste.

Well you might as well post that one incident of werewolf stuff then.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corridor posted:

He came up to where I was painting a bunch of giant sun-shaped props yellow and asked my name, and I said it's Corridor, and he went, "Ah! Corridor of the golden suns!" in an almost reverential way before wandering off.
Obviously it wasn't actually "Corridor", but "The corridor of the golden suns" sounds like a very poetic phrase. :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm almost jealous of you guys for having such crazy friends. The closest thing I have to something like this is when my friend in middle school would insist that Naruto was actually based on the true stories of him, the author, and a third party during their ninja training. Of course, we also told each other that after we graduated high school, we'd take a couple mutual friends, go on a road trip to California, take a boat to Japan, and become ninjas, so it was probably just good-natured kid BS.

Ninja edit: He never actually said this stuff in public. Just on the phone.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Post all you can we beg of you.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I don't know if this even counts, but a friend of mine in high school was a sort of accidental goth ringleader. Neither one of us would ever really pass for goth, but we wore a lot of black clothes and listened to metal so we were kind of lumped in with them in social situations. Because he's a fairly charismatic guy, is a bit of a nihilist and spoke fluent German they thought he was the cat's tits, and before he knows it he has a swarm of impressionable young goth underclassmen swarming him constantly. He would occasionally gently caress with them and tell them that he knew 'magic spells' (i.e., he liked to play Magic: The Gathering), and that his car was possessed by a 'spirit' named Sophia (because he was a big Stephen King fan and it was a Kia Sephia). Of course he would find it absolutely hilarious that they would stand there big-eyed and believing it, and would eventually let them in on the secret before moving on to the next person to trick. It was all good-natured fun, and no one ever really got offended that I know of.

The funniest moment was driving around one night in his 'possessed' Kia and he takes his hands off the wheel. Now, I can obviously see that he's steering with his knee, but the kid in the back seat couldn't because it was night and he was wearing dark slacks. The kid was amazed when the car was able to negotiate the very gentle turns of the road by itself, and was flabbergasted when we tried to convince him that no, dude, really, he's just driving with his knee. Not magic, just knee.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Wild T posted:

Hilarious stuff

That guy sounds awesome.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I wish I had things to contribute to this thread.

The only crazy I've ever experienced was my best friend (at the time) developed a lesbian crush on me that I didn't reciprocate, wrote creepy poetry on her public blog about 'if I had it my way' and how we would date and stuff and then started dating a bi-polar guy from the fur fandom who thinks he can "sense" dead spirits from things like bones and skulls and has a list of issues. Even when friends tried to steer her away, they're in love and all this. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

...I wish I knew anime freaks who believed they were soul bonded to Ash Ketchum or some dumb poo poo.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

cuntvalet posted:

The only crazy I've ever experienced was my best friend (at the time) developed a lesbian crush on me that I didn't reciprocate, wrote creepy poetry on her public blog about 'if I had it my way' and how we would date and stuff and then started dating a bi-polar guy from the fur fandom who thinks he can "sense" dead spirits from things like bones and skulls and has a list of issues. Even when friends tried to steer her away, they're in love and all this. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

:frogon:

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Ok, yeah, I won't post stories about my mother anymore =/ I was kind of worried about my not being able to articulate them correctly.

To "make up" for the lack of actual "HAHA!" funny in my posts, there was a girl in my high school journalism class whom made up a boyfriend. I don't know why, other than for attention.

There were at least one instance I can remember when we were sitting next to each other in the Journo Lab, and I'm doing layout, she's writing articles. I look over, and SEE her typing a love poem- that's a bit weird, because I think her article was probably not supposed to be in poem form, but whatever. Two minutes later she taps me on the shoulder and insists that I read the poem from her "boyfriend."

Yep, same poem. I didn't really know how to react. She also told me I was going to hell after I ended my review of "The Passion of the Christ" with "The book was better."

But alas, I do not have any stories of people with animus living in their heads =(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
For what it's worth I liked your stories Haymaker_Betty, I just think people found aspects of them concerning.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeah, they might not have totally fit the thread, but they were well written and entertaining, if not in a "haha!" sort of way.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

cuntvalet posted:

...I wish I knew anime freaks who believed they were soul bonded to Ash Ketchum or some dumb poo poo.

Me and my brother only got the pun in Ash's name a few months ago, we watched the show for like eight years.:doh:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

There's not a whole lot to tell. But here we go. Also, please, no internet detective poo poo. I think it goes without saying, but just...don't do it.

I met Vicky in a writing group, and I should have known something was off. Her story was about a mafia of animals with magic powers. She was a few years younger than me, but all in all she seemed pretty cool, so we traded MSN names and became friends.

For the longest time, we'd only talk a little bit on MSN. A friend from the writing group died, so we sort of reconnected then, and after awhile, started talking more and more. A year or so later, I started up a theatre group and Vicky joined because we needed more actors. She was pretty reliable and went past her comfort zone in the roles she played in. It was pretty awesome.

It was around this time Vicky and I became fast friends. We hung out all the time and talked nearly daily. She would hang off of me sometimes and if I shrugged her off, it wasn't some big deal. All in all, I had what I had always wanted. A best friend.

After awhile though, Vicky seemed to become more and more invested in our friendship. She made sure we talked EVERY SINGLE DAY and when she moved off to college she got really emo about it. I was sad that my friend was going to live further away, but hey, thats life.

Half a year of being in college and Vicky decided to drop the bomb. We were chatting over MSN when she says, "cuntvalet, I need to tell you something. I'm in love with you."

Uh...what?! I'm a straight girl, have never once dabbled in the idea of being with another girl. I told her I was flattered and everything and promised it wouldn't change our friendship.

But then she got possessive. And by possessive, I mean, the blog posts started. Vicky and I posted on the same blogging website, and followed each other's blogs. At first, it seemed like they were only somewhat referencing me, and I shrugged it off. It's just a phase.

I broke up with my first serious boyfriend (who I had met and dated while knowing Vicky) and she seemed to think this was the time to pounce. She admitted that she had hoped that if we broke up, she'd have a chance, etc. Again, I said no.

This is all a whirlwind of facts, but it culminates in her writing a creepy poem about us in her blog. When I started dating a new guy, she deleted it, all passive aggressive style.

Aly, a mutual friend of ours watched this whole thing go on from the sidelines and when Aly and I would hang out, she'd point out just how creepy Vicky was being. Creepy and stalkery and passive aggressive. I can't remember/find the poem, but she has posted other stuff like how she loved one person and didn't think she'd ever get over it, but she'd be a stoic hero and keep her mouth shut.

Uhh...I read your blog, Vicky.

It was all very passive aggressive. And then she met her anime freak boyfriend who always wears a black hat fashioned like Link's from Legend of Zelda. Except it's rather sad and flaccid looking. He also wears striped arm warmers and a collar.

She now shows up everywhere in a collar and one of various fur con t-shirts. :smith:

She delighted in the fact that he claimed he could sense spirits of the dead and that she had a necklace that had a fake bird's skull on it and he was confused because he couldn't "read" it. He had bi-polar. His father is a drug dealer. He lives on his aunt's couch. He once nearly got a girl teenaged pregnant by accident.

He's a furry. She refers to him as her "Mutt Puppy". Aly and I were concerned. We warned her so many times about him, but oh no! She was in love. She told him about a certain girl (me) who she had "tried to court" (her words). It was all very strange.

And yet still, she had this weird protectiveness over me, and kept harbouring a lesbian crush. Any time I mentioned a guy I was interested in/dating she would go awkwardly silent, get all moody or give me one word answers.

It's all very awkward, even to this day. We've stopped talking. I tried for awhile to regrow our friendship, but she doesn't put in the effort and I've squared with the fact that my friend/stalker is fading away.

They go to fur cons and whatever. She ended up making a fur suit. I really hope she's happy with her weirdo furry boyfriend. :unsmith:

TL;DR: A female best friend of mine turned out to have 'nice guy syndrome' before becoming a furry and writing creepy poetry on her blog about me.

CatStacking fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 13, 2012

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

cuntvalet posted:

They go to fur cons and whatever. She ended up making a fur suit. I really hope she's happy with her weirdo furry boyfriend. :unsmith:

TL;DR: A female best friend of mine turned out to have 'nice guy syndrome' before becoming a furry and writing creepy poetry on her blog about me.

So, which animal is she now?

Edit: Oh not asking because I want to find her - I am fascinated with how furries find their 'animal' when it isn't your average wolf/fox deal :allears:

Also I doubt she'd be googleable in a sea of furries, unless she is some unbelievably specific breed like a borzoi.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 13, 2012

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So, which animal is she now?

I'd really prefer not to say, since it'd make internet detectivery a lot easier, but lets just say it's a less common canine.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

A couple of younger boys at my school took to claiming they were Aboriginal in all seriousness, and singing in the most stupid sound, made up, Aboriginal sounding "language".

The Bible
May 8, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

I'd really prefer not to say, since it'd make internet detectivery a lot easier, but lets just say it's a less common canine.

So she isn't into the impossible hybrid fursonas yet. There may still be hope.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The Bible posted:

So she isn't into the impossible hybrid fursonas yet. There may still be hope.

I wonder if a platypus counts as a impossible hybrid! Also so glad I've never seen platypus furries.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I wonder if a platypus counts as a impossible hybrid! Also so glad I've never seen platypus furries.

...you know someone is going to find that for you now right? (I'm not going to find it)

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Google tells us there are definitely platypus furries out there. http://e621.net/post/show/61326/2008-black_hair-brown-drink-female-fireplace-goth- (there are a lot more on there, but they're a bit vomit-worthy)

Also, furries picking their animal is just a case of see something - like it - use it. Or pick something weird to be edgy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Naruto obsessed room mate just turned out to be normal crazy, not weeaboo crazy. He's currently being suckered by Amway, he's a bit of a neat freak and he gets in fights over stupid poo poo with a different "girlfriend" over the phone every few nights, but nothing like believing he's Naruto or anything. Honestly I'd kinda prefer a crazy room mate, at least that'd be an interesting kind of annoying.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Naruto obsessed room mate just turned out to be normal crazy, not weeaboo crazy. He's currently being suckered by Amway, he's a bit of a neat freak and he gets in fights over stupid poo poo with a different "girlfriend" over the phone every few nights, but nothing like believing he's Naruto or anything. Honestly I'd kinda prefer a crazy room mate, at least that'd be an interesting kind of annoying.

He tried pulling you in? To Amway I mean.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Nah, he actually seems smart enough to realize that would be a dumb idea.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So what are acceptable story subjects?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

You'll know acceptable story topics if you have them.

Every now and then when I think of Denise I get a pang of guilt. Just recently over Facebox she sent me a message saying she misses me. It was just a simple as that, and I think it's the first genuine remark untainted by mentions of Sephiroth or "the guys," or the Admiral, that from her I've heard since the very early and still sane days of our friendship as stupid teenagers. It made me impossibly sad.

I really want to believe that as she's growing up she's shedding these beliefs, like the noxious, restrictive snake skins that they are. I know that deep in the middle of those dark days as an early teen, I really wanted to believe that there was some kind of super hot spirit boy looking out for me who loved me. I know for a time I really tried to believe it, because it'd give me someone to talk to when my mother was having yet another horrible tantrum and denying me the 'privilege' to speak to anyone, or some kind of validation when I was struggling in an episode of what I now understand to be depression and anxiety related disorders. As a young teenager I firmly believed that I was unlovable, and I don't mean in the bullshit 'I'll never find a girlfriend/boyfriend' way that all teenagers think. I mean "I do not believe it is possible for my family to love me for who I am because I am never and will never be good enough." I did try at times to trick myself into believing I had something that did love me and pay attention to me the way I needed, and that being free from the crushing loneliness and worthlessness I felt was really only an invisible barrier away.

I say I tried to believe, because even though sometimes I would try to indulge this by talking 'to the spirit' Denise told me was following me around, I knew I was really just talking to myself. I knew there was nobody there, really, and I think the sadness that I felt in knowing that was always the truth helped me to become more independent. Because I didn't believe it like Denise did I let go of the escapist fantasy that I was going to be rescued, and really get free, aim high, hold on, and get what I want in life. I think in a weird way it taught me tenacity.

I think what's really tragic is that Denise probably shared a lot of these feelings in common with me. Both of us had parents that we felt had abandoned us and we were struggling to cope with those feelings. I think this fostered a feeling of incredible selfishness in her. This, in addition to what I think is a very real mental illness, made it impossible for Denise to let go of the fantasy and I think is why she still lives it to this day.

Sorry this post is all sad and poo poo. I know a friendship with Denise is nothing really but toxic. I guess when I received that message it was like receiving a kick right in the childhood, you know? A lot about that is still very tender, even years later.

To change the tone slightly... When I lived with HELLO VIRGIN HERE she introduced me to a lady with like 5 cats. She spent all her time on some bullshit pet site, proclaimed herself to be a witch, wore loads of purple and said her cats talk to her. She hated me. At the time (troubled teeeeen) I was having severe issues with my gender, and she'd call me 'girl' all the time just to hurt or piss me off. She spent most of her time trying to hawk her bead creations or whatever and calling herself the 'mother hen' of the group of friends there. Mother hen, indeed. I was just the ugly duckling to her brood I guess!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Corridor posted:

Um um um

I work at a volunteer nonprofit place, and a new guy came in today and he was being shown around. When asked to say a little bit about himself, he launched into a massive tirade about his life story. He was about 60 and Indian with a very thick accent...

People like that are always, as you said "interesting". One time I was working as an administrative assistant at a library when some older black woman walks in. The most outstanding feature about her that I note is that her clothing matches terribly - pink is the color that first comes to mind, paired with some other off stuff - but other than that, nothing seems amiss at first. Despite being a private university's library, we're open to the public with the provision that they cannot check out books. They're certainly allowed a guest pass for the computers and more than entitled to read to their heart's content in the building up until evening hours.

Not much is made of this woman at first. She goes about her business, and she trundles (she did not walk all that well) up to the central desk where our librarians more or less hold court. You can walk up to them and ask them any research-related questions you like and they'll do their damndest to find the appropriate resource for you. They're great people. In her discussions with the librarians though, she thinks one of them gives her a mean look or is not providing an appropriate level of service. Knowing this librarian, this couldn't be further from the truth and the testimony of the other librarians working with him only builds the evidence in his favor. Nevertheless, she gives him a few angry words as to the quality of his service and meanders off to other destinations.

So she makes her way out of the library and ambles up to the information desk, the first thing you see walking into the library. She confronts the student working at the front desk, demanding to speak with the University Librarian - the man in charge, the big cheese, all red tape leads to him, etc. Knowing that she can't give out his phone number and uncertain of what to do or what to say to this woman, the student calls the only number in the administrative offices that she can - my phone, the admin front desk phone.

By this point, the chief librarian has made her way back to the admin offices to warn us of the impending angry customer nuclear device headed in the University Librarian's direction. So we're well aware of her presence and we know (since the admin office is but a few steps away from the information desk) that she is right around the corner, practically visible to us. At that point, my phone rings and I am obliged to pick it up. The student working at the information desk, desperate to pass the buck off to someone else, informs me of the situation and passes the phone off to the angry woman who begins to deliver her spiel.

In her tirade, she claimed a great many things. Perhaps the one that sticks out to me the most was her claim that she was a very important member on President Bush's cabinet who sat in on all of the high level security meetings. I double check, peering perilously around my desk to see her standing at the information desk on the phone. It's definitely not Condoleeza Rice, and her manner of dress establishes what we suspected - that's she's one of those poor, off-her-rocker homeless people that live nearby. Nevertheless, she continues on her diatribe about being an important member of the government (definitely involved with planning the Iraq war), the sheer awfulness of our librarian's service (doesn't know how to show respect), the terrible state of the world today (kids these days...), etc. At this point, almost everyone in the administrative office has gathered around my desk to hear just how am I going to deal with her brand of crazy. I mean, I've got a crazy homeless person who believes that they were part of President Bush's cabinet who wants the best of everything, and even just the smallest slight in service is a grievous offense. She's being difficult, she's not being cooperative, and she's trying to confront the University Librarian who has so many other things that they need to do with their time. This, my friends, is bad.

Fortunately, I used to be a Resident Assistant. And one aspect of my training that stuck out to me at this moment was crisis management. It's never a fun thing to have to hold your peers accountable for university policy violations at 2 AM on a Saturday night (technically Sunday morning) - people tend to get angry, hostile, and plenty of other synonyms for being irate just because you had the audacity to knock on their door and ask to be let in because they were screwing up. But one thing the training teaches you how to do is manage difficult people. And that kicked in for our poor, crazy homeless woman.

I listened to her story. I sympathized with her plight. For all intents and purposes while I was on the phone with her, I "believed" every single word she said. In the end, it didn't matter if she was or wasn't a member of Bush's cabinet - she's still entitled to the same service regardless of social or economic standing. I took down her name, her concerns, informed her that the University Librarian was out of his office at the moment (actually the truth in this situation) but that the moment they walked through the door I would deliver their grievances personally (I did). She was batshit crazy alright. But in the end, she's still a customer. She left that phone conversation feeling satisfied.

Trumbling (a combination of trundling and fumbling) off, the admin office had their eyes glued on her. We couldn't believe that she didn't notice all of the people watching her from behind a glass door, but she didn't. Right after she walked out the door, the office was abuzz about her, what she said, and the relative innocence of the librarian she singled out. He's one of the nicest guys in the entire library, so the whole incident would be out of character for him if it was true.

There are lots of crazy people out there, indeed. Nevertheless, it's a whole lot of fun to read these stories on this thread because holy poo poo, they are incredibly well-written, hard to believe, and real. But each crazy person, each person who is forced to (or willingly, for some) indulge in their own personal fantasies to the point where they actually believe they are true, represents something sad.

This in particular caught my eye:

uglynoodles posted:

I think what's really tragic is that Denise probably shared a lot of these feelings in common with me. Both of us had parents that we felt had abandoned us and we were struggling to cope with those feelings. I think this fostered a feeling of incredible selfishness in her. This, in addition to what I think is a very real mental illness, made it impossible for Denise to let go of the fantasy and I think is why she still lives it to this day.

In the end, characters like that black woman and Denise are people just like us with wants, needs, and desires. Except completely delusional in ways that are sometimes hilarious, sometimes horrifying, and almost always a sobering reminder of how far we've come along as regular people actively participating in society.

And one last note, because I think it reminds me of a lot of people's experiences with religion:

uglynoodles posted:

I say I tried to believe, because even though sometimes I would try to indulge this by talking 'to the spirit' Denise told me was following me around, I knew I was really just talking to myself. I knew there was nobody there, really, and I think the sadness that I felt in knowing that was always the truth helped me to become more independent. Because I didn't believe it like Denise did I let go of the escapist fantasy that I was going to be rescued, and really get free, aim high, hold on, and get what I want in life. I think in a weird way it taught me tenacity.

Just try to image 'the spirit' as 'the Holy Spirit' and not some totally 'hot' anime dudelady with a misshapen penis who frots it with another similarly 'hot' anime manchick with another geometrically offensive member.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 14, 2012

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't know if this counts, but in Sutton near where I live there's an old man who dresses like a warlock. As in, long beard, wooden staff. I personally have seen him with two black cats, and though I've never seen it people have told me he also sometimes has an owl he takes about. Loads of goths sometimes hang out around him but I don't generally think he cares for them.

It makes me wonder whether he actually thinks he is a wizard, is just really into Lord of the Rings or is just dressing that way because he thinks it's neat.

EDIT: Googled him and found this:

Okay, what the hell, this is not the wizard man of Sutton I know, meaning there is apparently more than one. What the poo poo.

After snooping around this particular wizard man actually appears to be the more well known of the two. His cat ran away once (it's probably scared as gently caress on his neck there) which lead to this:

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 14, 2012

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

uglynoodles posted:

I know that deep in the middle of those dark days as an early teen, I really wanted to believe that there was some kind of super hot spirit boy looking out for me who loved me. I know for a time I really tried to believe it, because it'd give me someone to talk to when my mother was having yet another horrible tantrum and denying me the 'privilege' to speak to anyone, or some kind of validation when I was struggling in an episode of what I now understand to be depression and anxiety related disorders. As a young teenager I firmly believed that I was unlovable, and I don't mean in the bullshit 'I'll never find a girlfriend/boyfriend' way that all teenagers think. I mean "I do not believe it is possible for my family to love me for who I am because I am never and will never be good enough." I did try at times to trick myself into believing I had something that did love me and pay attention to me the way I needed, and that being free from the crushing loneliness and worthlessness I felt was really only an invisible barrier away.

Yeah, like the poster above me, I went through this with Jesus when I was 12 and some guy was beating the poo poo out of me. You just want someone there to hold your hand, but not everyone can manifest that kind of faith.

Not saying religion is nutty like belief in hot anime boys or anything, that's a sociological discussion we don't need to have. But as a child raised atheist, I jumped through the same mental hoops to try to believe in something I didn't (and didn't understand) because I wanted to feel safe and loved and protected. I think the analysis of the difference between you and Denise is a very astute one.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know if this counts, but in Sutton near where I live there's an old man who dresses like a warlock. As in, long beard, wooden staff. I personally have seen him with two black cats, and though I've never seen it people have told me he also sometimes has an owl he takes about. Loads of goths sometimes hang out around him but I don't generally think he cares for them.

It makes me wonder whether he actually thinks he is a wizard, is just really into Lord of the Rings or is just dressing that way because he thinks it's neat.

EDIT: Googled him and found this:

Okay, what the hell, this is not the wizard man of Sutton I know, meaning there is apparently more than one. What the poo poo.

After snooping around this particular wizard man actually appears to be the more well known of the two. His cat ran away once (it's probably scared as gently caress on his neck there) which lead to this:

I wish my neighborhood had a wizard, let alone two. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

His cat ran away once (it's probably scared as gently caress on his neck there) which lead to this:

I'd actually suspect not. One of my cats will perch on the back of my chair, which often leads to shoulder-based shenanigans.

• Locked thread