Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nerokerubina posted:

fwiw it seems like the top players (or, at least, DiosX) loving hate it.
DiosX hates it because he doesn't win 70% of the pool every week. If it gets more people to come out, I'm all in favor of breaking a few eggs to make a FGC omelette.

e: But then again I'm typically too intimidated to even play casuals when I go to one of these things, so I'm probably not the guy you should be taking input from about this.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
I just haven't entered because despite getting the pad warrior title I'm still bad at the game and will just embarrass myself.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'd gladly enter but I don't live in the US, so depending on who I'm playing against, the lag can get pretty bad. :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Retro Assist Me! Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7WcFsBv-ZA

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Fun with Doom TACs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr_binHF5wA

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Does anyone have tips for learning Doom TACs? I can't even do M&Ms. :negative:

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
I'm joining all the people learning strange now. Running strange bolts/Dante jam session/wesker gunshot and i'm liking it alot so far. Jam session is really good with strange, bolts works well with the other two characters and DHCs between strange and Dante work pretty well. I need to spend some time learning the wesker/Dante unblockables and learning to make less bad decisions with strange.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ExHumus posted:

Does anyone have tips for learning Doom TACs? I can't even do M&Ms. :negative:
What part are you having trouble with? I don't have my Xbox right now to verify, but I believe the most basic version is:

TAC, M (2 hit), QCB+S, M (2) dash MM dash MM dash MM finisher

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

VigilantePrime posted:

I'm joining all the people learning strange now.
Allo Steve buddy! I've put another couple hours into the doc labwise and swung an easy hundred matches with him, and I'm starting to get the hang of the guy, at least loosely.

The timing necessary for crossup m.Daggers isn't as bad as I thought, I just needed to get the swing of delaying it until they were just about to hit so I didn't get smacked out of it. Or if they're starting to block in the right direction I'll do a h.Teleport instead, come down with j.H (which has a nice hitbox, use j.bH for your jumping attacks and you can OS throw -and- confirm a combo if you chain it into Impact Palm on hit), or use the delay before the daggers start moving to fly and -then- h.Teleport. I still need to mess with it, but I think Strange pops out above them still floating, could swear I knocked a guy with j.M j.M j.S before going into my string.

Still getting the hang of his blockstrings, I can't figure out whether naked flames or l.Swords are better half the time, and I can't even FoF loop once in training mode yet.

You on XBL or PSN?

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
I haven't even tried learning FoF loops yet, I'm happy every time I successfully hit an impact palm loop. Also, it seems like his daggers keep going once they're moving even if Strange gets hit but I haven't researched it.

XBL is Vyrigeous, I usually just scrub around in 9th lord in ranked though.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
When I originally found out about Marvel 3, I knew right off the bat my team was going to be Jill/Chris/Wesker because I love Resident Evil. (4 and 5 don't count) Well, my team turned out to be Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath for whatever reason.

So for next week's tourny I'm going to (attempt) to use the team I've always wanted to. The only problem is that Jill is arguably the hardest character in the game to use effectively, especially controlling that level 3. Blegh.

So, all you Jill players, give me some tips! All 0 of you.

Jill

Sandwich

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Jill is the most fun character inside of training mode, but once you're outside of training mode she is only fun if you don't care about winning ever.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Figure out whatever the secret technology that made her OP was in vanilla that caused the dev team to nerf her in Ultimate and you should be good.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Isn't her Somersault super invincible? I'm sure there's some sort of trick you can do with that to apply nonstop pressure or something like that.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Wozbo posted:

Add me, Wozboh. I play on vita more than ps3 nowadays due to my work schedule.

Tossed an invite, sorry it took a bit to get to ya' - work is gonna get busy for a while so we'll see when I get my Vita time in.

It's sort of funny because I get really, really nervous/worked up when playing Marvel and sometimes I'm with co-workers who notice. One of them thought I had snorted crack and my explanation of fighting games didn't really put him at ease. :sweatdrop:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been meaning to pick Jill up mainly out of my RE fanboy nature, although I want to play Chris/Frank/Jill.

About all I've figured out so far is that if she has meter you can Machine Gun Spray through pretty much everything and it's pretty awesome.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :siren:

Thursday September5th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sh5ruzks8r

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/6x8qpog7sy

BumbleChump posted:

When I originally found out about Marvel 3, I knew right off the bat my team was going to be Jill/Chris/Wesker because I love Resident Evil. (4 and 5 don't count) Well, my team turned out to be Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath for whatever reason.

So for next week's tourny I'm going to (attempt) to use the team I've always wanted to. The only problem is that Jill is arguably the hardest character in the game to use effectively, especially controlling that level 3. Blegh.

Jill

Sandwich

Original teams would be interesting unfortunately I knew what was up and my first team was Tasky/Skrull/Phoenix so I'll have to go a different direction. also if your gonna call it a Jill sandwich shouldn't she be in the middle with no neutral assist

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BumbleChump posted:

Jill

Sandwich

This is a good post about Jill: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...28#post-7421048

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Wanderer posted:

About all I've figured out so far is that if she has meter you can Machine Gun Spray through pretty much everything and it's pretty awesome.

Machine Gun Spray's only invincible during its start up, so once she's in the air, she can be hit out of it, so you can't just use it and expect to get over anything. It's still handy for what it can offer you though.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
i've played a guy lately who uses chris/jill/wesker and will always respond to pressure by alpha-countering into jill. i guess one of her assists is pretty invincible

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

BumbleChump posted:

I've actually been using her since she came out in vanilla, but that doesn't mean that how I play is the be-all-end-all (you should probably build a team around her, which I really didn't). But with that said:

I eventually decided that Jill really works best for me as an anchor. People tout her ability to reset freely as an answer to her lack of damage, but the truth is that every time you go for a reset, you're giving the opponent another coin flip, and eventually the flip isn't going to land in your favor, and you're going to die because your opponent's not Jill. With higher-level x-factor it becomes much easier to TOD someone with her, even doing something as simple as 3x jump loop -> ground stuff -> guns super. It also makes guns super scary as poo poo, because...

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Machine Gun Spray's only invincible during its start up, so once she's in the air, she can be hit out of it, so you can't just use it and expect to get over anything.
You pretty much can. It is an absurdly good super to make up for the fact that the damage is bad (except off stuff like fc.H xx guns). With x-factor in your chamber, if your opponent calls an assist to start his offense or does a huge number of different things that would be safer against any other character, Jill gets to guns super in, XFC, and jump loop -> kill. If you have someone else on point with Jill as assist, instantly DHCing into guns will set up similar options.

Acute Hepatitis posted:

i've played a guy lately who uses chris/jill/wesker and will always respond to pressure by alpha-countering into jill. i guess one of her assists is pretty invincible
Her somersault assist is one of the best alpha counters in the game. Even on point it beats out a lot of jumpins/footdives/etc, but it's even more invincible as an AC.

BumbleChump posted:

The only problem is that Jill is arguably the hardest character in the game to use effectively, especially controlling that level 3. Blegh.
Her level 3 isn't really that great anyway, and I don't use it all that much. Sure, you can do a pretty solid combo once you get the rhythm down, but it's not worth the meter and becomes completely useless in x-factor (people will actually fall out because she moves too quickly). That's 3 meters you could be using to punish assist calls, stay in people's faces, or punish something from half screen into a combo, so it's not really worth it.

In terms of teambuilding, assuming she's not your anchor, she definitely benefits from horizontal lockdown assists that help her set up free mixups. If someone is caught blocking Doom beam or Chris machine gun or whatever, the best they can do is loving pray, because feral crouch teleports are too godlike to block on reaction in that situation.

Her biggest shortcomings are damage (obviously), and lack of screen control. She has almost nothing in the way of useful air movement options (you can knee drop to get out of a predictable jump trajectory but it's not useful as an ersatz footdive or anything), so against the high-tier characters who can dominate that space (Mag/Doom/etc), it's a serious challenge. On the bright side, most people don't really know what the gently caress Jill does, and will go in on her with jumpins or footdives carelessly, giving you free fc.H or even teleport tricks. There are also some things like Vajra assist that can be a big help in keeping people like Storm from making GBS threads on you for free.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BumbleChump posted:

When I originally found out about Marvel 3, I knew right off the bat my team was going to be Jill/Chris/Wesker because I love Resident Evil. (4 and 5 don't count)

Oh wow, to me everything but 4 doesn't count.

I found this article to be rather interesting, not sure if this is the best thread for it, but I don't read the others ones, so it will have to do.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...ayers-involved/

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :airquote:

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/xbmgoons17
First Place: BurningHM Punctuality/Timelyness/I thought timelyness was a word
Second Place: NO ONE
Third Place: An infinite amount of no one
Welp that didn't take long

http://challonge.com/psmgoons17
First Place:Bumble Chump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Second Place: ShikiDan Hulk/Dormammu/Roulette
Third Place: Hawaiian Shirt Nova/Frank West/Super-Skrull

lalalalalalalala:suicide:

Next Week Thursday September12th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/43jfc8jsuj

:flaccid:Xbox:flaccid:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/k27fxcq2c6

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I AM TWO-TIME CHAMPION.

Real-talk, I am willing to put forth $10 for the winner of next Thursday's Xbox tournament.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
You had one entrant for the 360 tournament? I'm almost motivated to hook my 360 up and play at this point if it means I have a 50% chance of winning. :v:

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I got a participation award and I am going to put it on the fridge :unsmith:

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Dangit I forgot about the tournament but a last minute signup screwed me from winning the 360 one by default. If someone signs up next week I'll try to remember.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'd enter the 360 tourney but my PC isn't near the console so :effort:

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Is there anyone here who plays on PS3 that could coach me on footsies and stuff like that? I don't even need a high ranked player. I just need someone who plays on a regular basis to coach me on how to open people up and/or deal with common situations. It would also be nice to have someone critique my play in general. I can do combos all day and night but none of that matters if I can never open people up or if I always get one touch killed.

My PSN is ChiefRebelAngel. Feel free to send me a friend request. I'd love to level up even if it's just a little. Thanks in advance! :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'll probably play on PS3 this week. I fixed my dual mod so all the buttons work on PS3 because my 360 bit it with an E79.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y6rg9hI-cA

I am loving this series.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Erik The Viking posted:

Is there anyone here who plays on PS3 that could coach me on footsies and stuff like that? I don't even need a high ranked player. I just need someone who plays on a regular basis to coach me on how to open people up and/or deal with common situations. It would also be nice to have someone critique my play in general. I can do combos all day and night but none of that matters if I can never open people up or if I always get one touch killed.

My PSN is ChiefRebelAngel. Feel free to send me a friend request. I'd love to level up even if it's just a little. Thanks in advance! :)

friend request sent! my psn is sputnikmonroe let's play some sets. i'm working on picking up iron man and maybe jill. don't have a mic but we can talk in the irc channel

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Erik The Viking posted:

Wozboh. I'll play whenever I'm able.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Well, at least this episode actually has some advice.

Also I'm EthnicX on PSN. Add me! (ChiefRebelAngel, I'm almost, like 95% positive that we were friends at some point. Maybe we still are... :tinfoil:)

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Well, at least this episode actually has some advice.

Hm. Well, it certainly has some gameplay footage.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Mr. Fun posted:

Hm. Well, it certainly has some gameplay footage.

Jokes too!

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Y2r6NNB28

Got a main team now. Might switch out Doom for Rocket Racoon once I practice boulder loops. :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Bahahaha, not only is that Joe shocking pink assist infinite crazy impractical but it's apparently also P1 only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5cFbJoVJs

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Good the more poo poo that pops up the more likely Capcom is to patch the game a little bit. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hasn't the reusable bomb glitch been known for a long while now?

• Locked thread