Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

Here's some pics:

Link for Teiz: http://store.teizms.com/

Not sure if you meant to but you uploaded tiny pics to imgur. The suit looks neat but the pics are too small to really see anything.

Pope Mobile posted:

Make sure to take the foam out before drilling. My patio was a mess. Eye protection is a must, too. Flying plastic and whatnot. I used the largest bit I had (3/4") but I had to widen the holes more to fit the bottles. I'd suggest a 7/8" or 1".

Drill a small pilot hole then use a hole saw, you should get a cleaner cut w/less mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I assume he used a hole saw (I hope). I can see it being a huge mess with a regular huge rear end wood bit. Taping over the area where you plan to cut may cut down on flying shards and chipping of the edge as well.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not sure if you meant to but you uploaded tiny pics to imgur. The suit looks neat but the pics are too small to really see anything.

Yeah, still getting used to imgur. I thank you and Shelby the retriever of Labrador's thanks you.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking at year round scooter commuting. I found my jacket, but was wondering about gloves. I want something that can be good for down to 30-40 degrees. I top out around 40mph.

I was looking at Tour Master Women's Winter Elite 2 but it seems like price over kill when the Cold-Tex 2.0 Gloves are cheaper.

Looks like I'm paying for leather versus textile and the different insulation. Should I spring for the nicer glove? I wish I could test the wind resistance on the textile.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I can't help you but wish to add my own glove question criteria. Are there any with wipers on them that are not big bulky all-season touring type gloves that run $75+ ?

I typically have defogger/wax on my shield and glasses but every so often I get stuck in the rain too far from a good application. It really sucks having to constantly use soaking wet material to wipe rain off visors and glasses with crap results just to be able to see.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-rain-storm-gloves
These look awesome but holy poo poo $150 is not something I'm willing to spend on gloves. I'd rather deal until I get to a gas station and re-apply or wait out the storm at the nearest Denny's.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 11, 2012

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Aerostitch sells one for $15.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-veewipe-squeegee.html

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
You mean I can just get whatever gloves I want for their own criteria and sake and then keep a $15 thing in my jacket or saddle bags and be set? :aaaaa:

Why has it never occurred to me to look for something like this before?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My current cold/winter gloves are last year's model of Joe Rocket Rush. They really don't keep my hands warm on their own, but they're great with my heated grips. There's a wiper on both thumbs, too! Looks like they removed the wipers from the most recent iteration, though. :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If I black out the neon green (:barf:) stitching on my boots with a permanent marker, is there any danger of it eating away at the stitching over time? Or at least, the useable life of a pair of Icon Elsinore's?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 12, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

No.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If I black out the neon green (:barf:) stitching on my boots with a permanent marker, is there any danger of it eating away at the stitching over time? Or at least, the useable life of a pair of Icon Elsinore's?

There is neon green stitching on yours? I am guessing you got the black ones then since there is no frippery like that on the brown ones I have. WTF were they thinking?

BTW: Some mink oil and a hairdryer do WONDERS to soften them up and make them wearable if you haven't already.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If you use an acid-free archival marker, no. If you use a standard Sharpie, yes.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Could anyone suggest some very bright High Vis tape what I could attach to my helmet and/or leathers? I've got some 3M Reflective Tape on my helmet at the moment but it's not very bright. I want something that will reflect and be visible from quite some distance, like the stickers on the side of government cars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Have you tried rim tape?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shimrod posted:

Could anyone suggest some very bright High Vis tape what I could attach to my helmet and/or leathers? I've got some 3M Reflective Tape on my helmet at the moment but it's not very bright. I want something that will reflect and be visible from quite some distance, like the stickers on the side of government cars.

Don't use regular 3M reflective tape, use 3M 'Scotchlite' brand - that's the retro-reflective stuff used for DOT and marine high-viz markings.

e: this specific type, to be exact - http://3mcollision.com/products/decorative-reflective-film-tape/conspicuity-reflectors/3m-scotchlite-reflective-tape-03455.html

Not all of the other reflective tapes 3M makes are of the retro-reflective variety (retro- meaning they reflect the light directly back at the source, i.e. the towards the car whose headlights are shining at it), so they won't look as bright since they scatter the light away from the source.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 12, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shimrod posted:

I haven't used it yet, but I've been meaning to buy 3M SOLAS tape - SOLAS being Survival of Life at Sea. As you might expect of tape designed for life boats, flotation vests, etc. that stuff is supposed to be crazy bright. Only in silver.

Otherwise yeah the 3M Scotchlite stuff is very bright and comes in all sorts of colors

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I haven't used it yet, but I've been meaning to buy 3M SOLAS tape - SOLAS being Survival of Life at Sea. As you might expect of tape designed for life boats, flotation vests, etc. that stuff is supposed to be crazy bright. Only in silver.

Otherwise yeah the 3M Scotchlite stuff is very bright and comes in all sorts of colors

Where do you even buy that stuff? I've been looking for it since the first day I got into motorcycling.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've heard said that you can sometimes hit up your local public works or city/state transpo workers for scrap reflective material. They get it by the sheet and cut out the shapes they need, resulting in scrap edges that could be good for lining something.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Safety Dance posted:

Where do you even buy that stuff? I've been looking for it since the first day I got into motorcycling.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3m+solas+tape

Also you can probably find it at marine and boating supply stores.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3m+solas+tape

Also you can probably find it at marine and boating supply stores.

The Internet of today is a very different place than it was back in 2008.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

The Internet of today is a very different place than it was back in 2008.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990125084553/http://alpha.google.com/

Looks pretty similar to me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

3m scotchlite is plenty bright. I use it on my helmet and it makes you stand out like a sore thumb. It doesn't "shine", per se, but comes off as intensely bright white.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Got my EXO-1000! :)

But it hurts my forehead and the mirrored visor I bought doesn't want to stay in the vent position.

Nothing ever goes right. :smith:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Thanks guys, I just used regular 3M Reflective Sheeting and its not very shiny. I'll get some Scotchlite or SOLAS.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Follow-up question: So the large EXO-1000 hurts my forehead. If I get an XL instead, is this likely to alleviate the problem? Or is it entirely a head shape thing?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Head shape thing I think. HJC's hurt my head because of the way the circle "crown" part really squeeze the hell out me so much that I had to go up one more size. No problems like that with my Arai or the Shoei.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

There is neon green stitching on yours? I am guessing you got the black ones then since there is no frippery like that on the brown ones I have. WTF were they thinking?

BTW: Some mink oil and a hairdryer do WONDERS to soften them up and make them wearable if you haven't already.

Yeah, got the black ones. It looked off-white in the pictures :smith:

Splizwarf posted:

If you use an acid-free archival marker, no. If you use a standard Sharpie, yes.

What kind of store would be a good place to look for those? My best guesses at "acid free marker" in Japanese aren't turning up anything online.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What kind of store would be a good place to look for those? My best guesses at "acid free marker" in Japanese aren't turning up anything online.

Archival marker? Check in hobby shops (e.g. where the Japanese version of a scrapbooker would shop) or in art stores.

Or you could probably use some clothing dye or maybe even shoe polish.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Head shape thing I think. HJC's hurt my head because of the way the circle "crown" part really squeeze the hell out me so much that I had to go up one more size. No problems like that with my Arai or the Shoei.
Well, it seems like some HJCs are narrow and others are round, but I can't find any information on what the CL-Max is. I don't know what my head is shaped like.

That being said, if one helmet fits and another of the same really hurts the forehead, it's probably not rocket science to figure out. I just want to be sure.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tell me about shift pads.

My sexy new rearsets like the rough stuff.

Stylish motherfucker that I am, I went with aluminum pegs/pedals. The knurled shifter, however, bites my footwear harder than a pre-teen twink on a pillow.

I bought some new 3/4 boots with leather shift pads only a couple months ago, the pads are already worn through, and I don't ride to commute. Just weekends evening stuff.

Who makes a good boot with replaceable or more durable shift pads? Something with good ankle support, but suitable with jeans or normal clothes rather than full length racing boots.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

STG won't exchange my helmet because I was honest and said I took a quick ride in it. Great.

Anyone want to buy a large EXO-1000 in dark silver? :smithicide:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Try going up on size on the padding? I know Scorpion uses the same shell for their M & S helmets. Maybe it's the same for their L/XL?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Today I noticed my EPS liner in my helmet is sliding around the shell and I figure it's a good idea to glue it back on. What kind of adhesive should I use for this? Before anyone says "just go get a new helmet," this is a pretty pricey helmet made by a small company with a carbon fiber shell and photochromic visor. There's no way I'm going to retire the helmet this early.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

Try going up on size on the padding? I know Scorpion uses the same shell for their M & S helmets. Maybe it's the same for their L/XL?
The sales dude at STG told me it's a M/L shell, otherwise they'd just send me the XL padding. :(

I've put the helmet up for sale on eBay, and of course the XL in Matte is out of stock now on STG. gently caress everything ever

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Today I noticed my EPS liner in my helmet is sliding around the shell and I figure it's a good idea to glue it back on. What kind of adhesive should I use for this? Before anyone says "just go get a new helmet," this is a pretty pricey helmet made by a small company with a carbon fiber shell and photochromic visor. There's no way I'm going to retire the helmet this early.

Sounds like a terrible reason to gamble with the most important part of your body.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

If it's that pricey, and not that old, contact the company. They may fix it.

If they won't, get a new helmet. How many hundreds of dollars is your brain worth to you?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So I'm doing a gear checklist so I can be completely car-independent from now until eternity since I 1. hate driving and 2. like riding motorcycles. Here's what I have so far:

1. Aerostich Roadcrafter (hell yeah bros) and helmet with a pinlock visor
2. Sidi Vertigos with Nelson Riggs waterproof overboots
3. Olympia Cold Weather Goretex Gloves and my Sedici regular leather gloves
4. Tire inflation kit
5. Kriega R30 Waterproof Backpack
6. Entire set of tools for doing every job on the bike, plus various lubes (aww yeah)
7. Baklava

Is there anything else I'm missing or should consider if I'm gonna be using my bike 99% of the time?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Xovaan posted:

So I'm doing a gear checklist so I can be completely car-independent from now until eternity since I 1. hate driving and 2. like riding motorcycles. Here's what I have so far:

7. Baklava

Well.... You have the pastry covered, but you might consider a scarf or other lower face covering.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Baklava.. reminds me of this

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/The+Irrelevant+Show/ID/1689416783/?sort=MostPopular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

DILLIGAF posted:

Well.... You have the pastry covered, but you might consider a scarf or other lower face covering.

I can't believe I typed this :eng99: it's stuck in my head from the guy at Cycle Gear correcting me from balaclava.