Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Goddamn, that looks nice. But will it sell? Three grand is an awful lot of money for a camera you can't even change the lens on. As much as I'd love to have one, I'd have to do a lot of shooting at 35mm to justify that cost.

So, now we've got an RX1 and an RX100. Where's the RX10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Not sure if the thing will sell, but it's a pretty amazing proof of concept as to how small a full 35mm frame digital camera could conceivably be. I mean look at this poo poo (not my image):

I'm curious as to how the lens will perform, since it appears to be an entirely new Sonnar design with some macro capability. It wouldn't shock me if it sported a pretty dreamy look when wide open (not necessarily a bad thing). Either way, that camera (plus the EVF and OVF accessories that are apparently coming) would make for an amazing travel shooter.

I'm looking forward to handling this thing at Photokina in a week.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 10, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Not really a valid comparison since it's comparing a fixed lens system to ones with interchangeable lenses. It's easier to make it small when the lens is built in and mated to the sensor. As sensor technology advances, we may have an "EVIL" full frame that is truly compact some day.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

And sometimes the size of the lens can't be made too small due to the laws of physics in trying to produce an image circle that covers full-frame. Perhaps someday they might just produce optical material that can allow for much smaller lenses but I don't think anytime soon yet.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My guess is that a lot of the problems making small lenses for full-frame digital have to do with the extreme angle of the light coming in from lenses designed to be that small. There has to be a reason we haven't seen anything like a digital Olympus XA. Maybe as microlenses keep getting better...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

So all those rumors about a full frame NEX that were swirling around didn't make sense to most of us but I felt like something must be going on. Looks like Sony has a full frame fixed lens camera up thier sleeve instead.

http://photorumors.com/2012/09/09/breaking-sony-rx1-the-first-full-frame-compact-camera/

So it's more of an X-100 competitor with a Leica price. The picture quality had better be damned good for 3 grand.

Full-frame or not, Sony's going to have a hard time getting people to pay $2800 for one of those when the X100 exists.

It seems between this and the full-frame E-mount camcorder that a full-frame NEX is almost inevitable, but who knows when.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm just hoping Fuji sees this as legitimate competition for the X100 and keeps the updated firmware coming. Has anyone heard if X100 is getting the same type of update as they just announced for the X-Pro 1?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

alkanphel posted:

And sometimes the size of the lens can't be made too small due to the laws of physics in trying to produce an image circle that covers full-frame. Perhaps someday they might just produce optical material that can allow for much smaller lenses but I don't think anytime soon yet.

How do Leica do it then? Their lenses are as tiny as m4/3 ones but cover a full frame image circle.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Anmitzcuaca posted:

How do Leica do it then? Their lenses are as tiny as m4/3 ones but cover a full frame image circle.

It's not really an optics size thing. You can make a very simple lens that would be incredibly tiny and cover 35mm. If you want the lens to be corrected and fast and wide and tiny (and don't mind not having zoom or autofocus), then it's probably going to be casting light at a pretty oblique angle, which means you'll see color shift and detail smearing. Leica has corrected microlenses at the sensor level to try and control this, but telephoto lenses suffer as a result, since the position of the microlenses is fixed for wider optics.

For conventional photography, the only short-term perfect solution would likely be some kind of dynamic micro-adjustment of microlenses.

RustedChrome posted:

Not really a valid comparison since it's comparing a fixed lens system to ones with interchangeable lenses. It's easier to make it small when the lens is built in and mated to the sensor. As sensor technology advances, we may have an "EVIL" full frame that is truly compact some day.

If that size bears out (a big if, I'll admit), then the RX1 is the same size or smaller than than X100, X2, Canon G1X, Sigma DP2, and pretty much every single other modern fixed lens camera out there, while maintaining a significantly larger format. Yeah, the lens is big, but there's not a lot of ways around that at f/2.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 10, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's what kind of bugs me. They could have gone with an f/2.8 lens and made it really compact instead of a big f/2 lens. With Sony's sensor tech as good as it is, it wouldn't make that much difference with regards to low light performance.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

I'm just hoping Fuji sees this as legitimate competition for the X100 and keeps the updated firmware coming. Has anyone heard if X100 is getting the same type of update as they just announced for the X-Pro 1?

That would be nice. If you haven't seen the auto and manual focus improvements in action, scrub to 2:20 and 3:00 minutes in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PF4OMNQkmA

I wouldn't mind a fancy Q menu, 1:1 aspect and multiple exposures added either.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Three new Sony lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/12/Sony-creates-10-18mm-F4-16-50mm-F3-5-5-6-power-zoom-and-35mm-F1-8-for-NEX-E-mount

35mm f/1.8 should make people pretty happy.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 12, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't know why I am surprised that the 35 1.8 costs as much as it does.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ill be happy with the 18-50 compact lens. Seems like it will be small enough that I can fit my nex in pocket

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

rio posted:

I don't know why I am surprised that the 35 1.8 costs as much as it does.

IF the lens is good quality, that's not that bad.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Assuming it's the same optical formula as the a-mount 35mm f/1.8, the image quality is worth the price - best price to performance ratio out of Sony's lineup. I see they added image stabilization as well. Add in a sturdier build than the a-mount version, and yeah, I see the path to $450. Still though, a number that started with a 3 would have been better.

I'm more excited about the NEX-6. It's got the best parts of a NEX-5 and a NEX-7, and the price is right. I'm really torn about replacing my backup / low light DSLR with it so that my backup body can also serve as a tiny travel camera, or replacing my primary DSLR with the a99. Guess I have a couple of months to think about it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Assuming it's the same optical formula as the a-mount 35mm f/1.8, the image quality is worth the price - best price to performance ratio out of Sony's lineup. I see they added image stabilization as well. Add in a sturdier build than the a-mount version, and yeah, I see the path to $450. Still though, a number that started with a 3 would have been better.

I'm more excited about the NEX-6. It's got the best parts of a NEX-5 and a NEX-7, and the price is right. I'm really torn about replacing my backup / low light DSLR with it so that my backup body can also serve as a tiny travel camera, or replacing my primary DSLR with the a99. Guess I have a couple of months to think about it.

Yeah, I was initially a bit dismissive when I saw the price, but IS would be nice. My current low light walkaround is an Olympus 42mm f/1.2 on an adapter... I think I'd be OK with losing a stop and a half (or whatever) if it meant gaining AF and OSS. I do kinda like the longer reach of the 42mm though, makes it able to do an OK job at both portraits and general walkaround stuff.

Actually, I'm a terrible human being and haven't updated my NEX-3 for peaking, so maybe once I did that the AF wouldn't be quite so necessary. I'll have to fool around with the 35mm in the store when it comes out and see.

Definitely interested in the 18-50. I'm a little confused on the construction though, is it zoom-by-wire when the AF is engaged, or is it true mechanical zoom? If it's not the former, might cool my enthusiasm quite a bit.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Bad news, it's zoom-by-wire. I assume it's a compromise they made to keep the size down (less than a quarter inch when fully retracted). Per Sony's product page:

quote:

The SELP-1650 is the first lens with an electrically driven zoom mechanism. As soon as the camera is powered on, the lens extends and is instantly ready for shooting. A dual-function control ring is used for both zooming and manual focus.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Bad news, it's zoom-by-wire. I assume it's a compromise they made to keep the size down (less than a quarter inch when fully retracted). Per Sony's product page:

I feel like Sony just likes trolling me at this point.

Releases NEX system, is great! but there are no lenses
Comes out with NEX-7! Professional-ish NEX! Spotty initial availability in America, ones in Japan are Japanese-menu only, making resale value crap
Full frame! camcorder or really expensive, fixed-lens camera
Releases some new lenses expensive 35mm f/1.8 prime, new zoom lens I was interested is by wire

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
$450 isn't that bad. Look at how much the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 costs and it doesn't have stabilization and is big as a house.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

$850 for the wide-angle zoom and it's only f/4? I could just get a faster Alpha-mount lens like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and still have enough leftover for a LA-EA1 adapter for when I don't want the LA-EA2 to sap any light. Granted, I'll lose image stabilization but it shouldn't be a big issue with a lens that wide. Either way it won't be available in time for my Disney trip so I'm going to be renting the Tokina and the LA-EA1. (I can't quite justify buying them yet after just getting the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the LA-EA2.)

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

$450 isn't that bad. Look at how much the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 costs and it doesn't have stabilization and is big as a house.

Yeah but that's 1.4, those always cost $400. $450 is too much for a regular standard prime.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

FWIW, I just sold a Leica 50/1.4 for $4500. And it didn't even have IS.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
You add a zero for the fetishists.
Another Pentax Q announced, and a K-to-Q adapter. So they're all in I guess. This one is kind of cute. :3:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

When they have such a good 35 1.8 A mount that is available for under 200 bucks, more than twice that seems hard to swallow. I was expecting 300 which would have been on par with their 50 1.8 but realistically expected more just because they knew that people want it and why not take advantage of the customer base.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

moonduck posted:

Not sure if the thing will sell, but it's a pretty amazing proof of concept as to how small a full 35mm frame digital camera could conceivably be. I mean look at this poo poo (not my image):

God sony fanboys are the worst. Is a $750 camera (counting the lens) compared to $2799 camera system even a valid comparison?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Miso Beno posted:

God sony fanboys are the worst. Is a $750 camera (counting the lens) compared to $2799 camera system even a valid comparison?

I don't own a single Sony. I don't see how you can call someone a "fanboy" for pointing out that Sony has proven that one can fit a full-frame sensor into a tiny body.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

thetzar posted:

I don't own a single Sony. I don't see how you can call someone a "fanboy" for pointing out that Sony has proven that one can fit a full-frame sensor into a tiny body.

Did you add the copy "Olympus and Panasonic Should Be Ashamed..." because you expressly noted that it's not your image. I'm just commenting on the fact that someone would add that copy when the Sony is a $2799 camera with a fixed lens and the GX1 is a $450 camera with a $350 lens.

A more honest comparison would involve a Fuji X100 or whatever Leica has for a faux-rangefinder.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I just hope Sony can stick to the production schedule for the new lenses. The pancake zoom is the kind of lens I've been waiting for (as long as IQ turns out alright).

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Miso Beno posted:

Did you add the copy "Olympus and Panasonic Should Be Ashamed..." because you expressly noted that it's not your image. I'm just commenting on the fact that someone would add that copy when the Sony is a $2799 camera with a fixed lens and the GX1 is a $450 camera with a $350 lens.

A more honest comparison would involve a Fuji X100 or whatever Leica has for a faux-rangefinder.

Who are you talking to? I didn't post the image.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RustedChrome posted:

So all those rumors about a full frame NEX that were swirling around didn't make sense to most of us but I felt like something must be going on. Looks like Sony has a full frame fixed lens camera up thier sleeve instead.

http://photorumors.com/2012/09/09/breaking-sony-rx1-the-first-full-frame-compact-camera/

So it's more of an X-100 competitor with a Leica price. The picture quality had better be damned good for 3 grand.

This thing would have been amazing if it included a optical or oled VF. I am drat impressed how sony managed to fit a full frame into something so compact. Here is hoping the price falls down in a year or two so I can get one. :ohdear:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

keyframe posted:

This thing would have been amazing if it included a optical or oled VF. I am drat impressed how sony managed to fit a full frame into something so compact. Here is hoping the price falls down in a year or two so I can get one. :ohdear:

You mean like this? ;)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

I agree. I feel like this is a prestige product for Sony. I can't imagine they'll sell many at that price point. But I'm very excited about the prospect of a full-frame NEX next year.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

David Pratt posted:

You mean like this? ;)

Yea I know it has the EVF and optical addons but it is already expensive without those. I read on steve huff that the optical vf costs $600. :wtc:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

wat :what:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The lens hood is $179.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You know, it reminds me of an Olympus 35RC.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

I was wrong sorry. The EFV costs $600. OVF only costs a mere $450!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I guess they are competing with Leica in more ways than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The RX1 control scheme really bug me. No shutter dial; physically switch for macro; zoom by wire; no EVF buildin; a fix lens that doesn't shrink (at least half way) into the body; did I mention no viewfinder of any kind?

There is only one explanation: this camera was designed by the Sony P&S team.