Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Sober posted:

Wow, getting my number ported is a bit of a hassle. Can't receive calls so I call back to ask the sales guy at Mobilicity what the problem was, says I need the account number on my Virgin Mobile account. Not my PIN apparently, so I have to call Virgin's CS for it and the lady who gave me the number seemed to mumble it out for me. Hopefully it goes okay, I guess I'll see in a few hours if it does.

It should be on your bill or ebill. If you can, just grab it from that and save yourself the trouble of trying to get it from a CS rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It was a prepaid account so I never had any way to get ahold of it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there a way do three party conference calls on a cheap crappy plan like my Mobilicity $45 one? I've got a client phone meeting that I've realized I can't be in the office for

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Scaramouche posted:

Is there a way do three party conference calls on a cheap crappy plan like my Mobilicity $45 one? I've got a client phone meeting that I've realized I can't be in the office for

I think all Mobilicity plans include 3-way calling but I don't know how to initiate it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is my Samsung Galaxy S2 on the Virgin Modible network unlocked? Could I get a pre paid T-mobile SIM or something similar when I go to the US for holidays?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bonzo posted:

Is my Samsung Galaxy S2 on the Virgin Modible network unlocked? Could I get a pre paid T-mobile SIM or something similar when I go to the US for holidays?

If you buy a phone directly from a carrier in Canada just assume it's network locked. If it was bought used or from a third party store ask the person you bought it from.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Squibbles posted:

I think all Mobilicity plans include 3-way calling but I don't know how to initiate it.

Figured it out (on android). When you're on a call those top 3 buttons are there on the screen. The middle one is 'End Call' (red phone), the one on the right is 'keypad' (a little keypad), and the one the left is 'add call' (little plus sign). After you're connected to the first party just press the 'add call' and dial out to your other party. Apologies for that description but I thought it might help people not on android phones figure out where it is too.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Scaramouche posted:

Figured it out (on android). When you're on a call those top 3 buttons are there on the screen. The middle one is 'End Call' (red phone), the one on the right is 'keypad' (a little keypad), and the one the left is 'add call' (little plus sign). After you're connected to the first party just press the 'add call' and dial out to your other party. Apologies for that description but I thought it might help people not on android phones figure out where it is too.

Ah, I was afraid it would have been a star code or something to get it working like the old days but google wasn't turning up anything.

of course it probably still is a star code, the android UI just hides hides it in the background and does it for you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
How does LTE work on Rogers, in terms of access/payment? I have the $30/6GB plan. If I put my sim into an LTE-capable device and I'm within range of an LTE tower, will I get LTE speeds, or is this an extra tier of service that they want additional monies for?

As a meta-point: Rogers is incredibly vague about pricing and what's actually available.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lexicon posted:

How does LTE work on Rogers, in terms of access/payment? I have the $30/6GB plan. If I put my sim into an LTE-capable device and I'm within range of an LTE tower, will I get LTE speeds, or is this an extra tier of service that they want additional monies for?

As a meta-point: Rogers is incredibly vague about pricing and what's actually available.

They initially tried to have separate LTE plans, but stopped. You might still need a new SIM for an LTE device though.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Yesterday my Bell Galaxy Nexus updated itself from 4.01 to 4.02, a mere nine months after the official release. Yay! But then just now it updated itself to 4.1.1. I was not expecting that.

Does anyone know if the GNex can now do the fast multiple camera shots that the S3 can do, or is that a hardware thing?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Lexicon posted:

It depends on the specific code of the data plan on your account. There have been multiple versions of the 6GB plan. Your plan will likely support LTE if you signed up / switched to it in the last 8 months or so.

You also need an LTE sim card, but you may already have one, since they are backwards compatible.

Initially Rogers would only allow devices with Rogers branded IMEI's access LTE, but this may have changed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I know it's probably pretty hard to tell before hand but if I can upgrade to a Galaxy S3/iPhone 4S right now with Rogers (using their hardware upgrade option on the website account info) that more than likely means I can get the iPhone 5, eh?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shadok posted:

Yesterday my Bell Galaxy Nexus updated itself from 4.01 to 4.02, a mere nine months after the official release. Yay! But then just now it updated itself to 4.1.1. I was not expecting that.

Does anyone know if the GNex can now do the fast multiple camera shots that the S3 can do, or is that a hardware thing?

Burst mode depends on how big of a cache the phone has for picture/video, as well as the write speed to the SD card. So yes, there is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010
So, my Rogers contract ended a few months ago, and now with the release of the new iPhone, I'm getting ready to start haggling... I've been paying close to $80/mo for the past three years for 6GB of data, and nearly bare bones everything else. Looking at Wind's offerings, I can get a fully decked out plan for half that. I'd really love to stop over paying. My one issue with Wind is that I leave the Wind Zone pretty often, and would prefer not to be roaming half the time.

Anyone have any experiences or tips to share when arguing with Rogers? Is there any hope that I can get my monthly rate reduced, or will I only be looking at some beefed up subsidies on a new phone?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you're using an iPhone note that it won't work on Wind's network at all. Have you considered Koodo or Virgin? They have pretty reasonable plans without all the bullshit fees Rogers nails you with, and they both support LTE for the new iPhone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crumbles posted:

So, my Rogers contract ended a few months ago, and now with the release of the new iPhone, I'm getting ready to start haggling... I've been paying close to $80/mo for the past three years for 6GB of data, and nearly bare bones everything else. Looking at Wind's offerings, I can get a fully decked out plan for half that. I'd really love to stop over paying. My one issue with Wind is that I leave the Wind Zone pretty often, and would prefer not to be roaming half the time.

Anyone have any experiences or tips to share when arguing with Rogers? Is there any hope that I can get my monthly rate reduced, or will I only be looking at some beefed up subsidies on a new phone?

Rogers' retention department has pretty well stopped trying to plan-match with Wind and Mobilicity. If you're set on sticking with Rogers you'll end up with a minimum $50 plan to get a subsidy on any decent smartphone. If you stick with it you can probably get your plan down to ~$60 or so with a decent amount of data but it works best if you can get them to match a plan from another non-AWS provider like Telus.

If you switch to Wind or Mobilicity plan on spending more upfront on the phone to get the cheaper plans, but the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus are both available.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Crumbles posted:

Rogers won't give any meaningful discounts right now. You might get a 'new activations only' plan, but nothing better. They are right now trying to play up a political angle to block challengers.

Wind and Mobilicity will never get the iphone unless T-Mobile miraculously becomes the #1 in market share in the United States. No reason to make a new model with slower data speeds and less than 1 million potential customers.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Update to the Fido Saga:

Just called Fido to have the remaining charges removed from my account (as they said to call up when they appeared so they could reverse all charges). A sumable total of $250+

Woman on the phone: I don't see any note on your account that says to remove any charges, as we've already credited you back the cost of the phone

:shepicide:

I now get to humbly wait for their accounting folks to call me back tomorrow they won't

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I just got a call from some third party that stated they were calling on behalf of Rogers and the offered me a *FREE* Samsung Galaxy 2 if I signed up for 36 more months. They had all my details so I don't think it is a scam, and I used to get calls like this often but asked them to stop 2 years ago. This is the same company that tried to sell me a third line so I could attach the phone to our beagle in case he got loose during our hikes so that whoever could find him could call us from the dogs phone. I was skeptical at first and declined the offer of yet another 3 year contract as I am almost done our current ones. Then the lady noticed I was paying 6 dollars a month for early evenings and tried to get that charge off, her attempts failed like they always do when they try to remove it. Instead they tacked on 100 additional daytime minutes for free with no added commitment or cost. I will be paying attention to my bill next month for sure, perhaps if they called offering an iPhone 5 or Galaxy 3 I would have bit. Why is Rogers starting to bug me again? :(

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Space Cadet posted:

I just got a call from some third party that stated they were calling on behalf of Rogers and the offered me a *FREE* Samsung Galaxy 2 if I signed up for 36 more months. They had all my details so I don't think it is a scam, and I used to get calls like this often but asked them to stop 2 years ago. This is the same company that tried to sell me a third line so I could attach the phone to our beagle in case he got loose during our hikes so that whoever could find him could call us from the dogs phone. I was skeptical at first and declined the offer of yet another 3 year contract as I am almost done our current ones. Then the lady noticed I was paying 6 dollars a month for early evenings and tried to get that charge off, her attempts failed like they always do when they try to remove it. Instead they tacked on 100 additional daytime minutes for free with no added commitment or cost. I will be paying attention to my bill next month for sure, perhaps if they called offering an iPhone 5 or Galaxy 3 I would have bit. Why is Rogers starting to bug me again? :(

Check your contract. That person may have renewed you.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, rule of thumb should be to never deal with those 3rd party calls because the 'deal' they are offering is usually poo poo, and they will take almost any answer as you 'agreeing' to renew your contract.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

DarkJC posted:

Yeah, rule of thumb should be to never deal with those 3rd party calls because the 'deal' they are offering is usually poo poo, and they will take almost any answer as you 'agreeing' to renew your contract.

Is it even legal to enforce a three year contract without a signature?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hahaha legality *takes a bath in $100 bills* that's a riot *snorts coke off a hooker* I like you

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does Rogers have any option at all for a 2 year contract with a reduced subsidy?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I did specifically ask at every level that this did not extend my contract and the lady told me my comittment was up august 2013. This bothers me so very much, I hate when they call and pull this poo poo. Tomorrow I will head down to the rogers store and have them look it up in person and fix it if they hosed it up.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Space Cadet posted:

I did specifically ask at every level that this did not extend my contract and the lady told me my comittment was up august 2013. This bothers me so very much, I hate when they call and pull this poo poo. Tomorrow I will head down to the rogers store and have them look it up in person and fix it if they hosed it up.

They'll likely just tell you to call. When I wanted changes made about six months ago the store couldn't do anything.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I will call in the morning I suppose since apparently rogers doesn't offer customer service in the dead of night. Worst case scenario is I have been renewed and I will turn this into an iphone 5/galaxy 3 for my trouble. Best case scenario I have an extra 100 minutes for free, and if they try to tell me I have been extended I will tell them that I specifically only agreed to the addition so long as it didn't extend my term and their drones promised me that much. Good thing we have those great new cell phone laws where I can drop the contract for 50 dollars and then take my business to a different type of lovely provider.

Also Evis, my local store is pretty great and is generally happy to take the calls for you if you ask. When my wife got her blackberry the rogers guy put it on a regular data plan and we took it to the store and the fellow there fixed it over the phone for us while we had lunch. Now she has the blackberry data and can bbm with all her friends.

Early morning update:

I called *611 when I woke up this morning and confirmed what you guys warned me about in this thread yesterday. The lovely outbound department DID extend my contract despite being explicitly told that I did not want to make any changes that would extend my current obligation. The guy who took my call said that he was sorry they called as he read the note on my file about never being contacted with special offers, called his supervisor and had my contract reverted back to the original end date. All in all this mornings call was easy, fast, and got me off the hook for trusting that third party company for just a second. Judging by the guy on the other end of the phone this isn't an unusual occurance, he said sorry and went right into fixing mode.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 14, 2012

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have a retentions plan with Rogers.I have about 14 months left on a three year contract. I haven't done a hardware upgrade since 2006/07. I don't know how upgrades or the new tab/contract policy works now. I'm interested in doing an upgrade to the Iphone 5 and I'm going to be lost.

Do I have to pay a cancellation fee/early upgrade? Would I like be locked into a contract? Or is a tab policy? And how would it be calculated?

Help me.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Well if your call goes anything like mine they wont offer you a discounted iPhone5 considering I am closer to my end date then you are. You could buy the phone with no subsidy and buy a new sim card for it, or you could pay the outlandish cancellation fee for your contract which is probably the same as buying the phone outright and then jump into a new contract which will likely save you nothing. Rogers is getting stingy, particularly if you already have a retention plan if redflagdeals is correct.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Space Cadet posted:

Well if your call goes anything like mine they wont offer you a discounted iPhone5 considering I am closer to my end date then you are. You could buy the phone with no subsidy and buy a new sim card for it, or you could pay the outlandish cancellation fee for your contract which is probably the same as buying the phone outright and then jump into a new contract which will likely save you nothing. Rogers is getting stingy, particularly if you already have a retention plan if redflagdeals is correct.
I thought you were eligible for an upgrade (at the discounted phone price) with Rogers after 2 years of your 3 year contract? I'm a little over 2 years into my contract because I got an iPhone 4 at launch, so I assumed I was due for an upgrade. If I'm not eligible for an upgrade then I might as well buy an unlocked one from Apple, then switch to whoever has the best plans next year when my contract is up. I guess I'll have to give them a call to find out for sure. Good thing I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

iLikeMidgets posted:

I have a retentions plan with Rogers.I have about 14 months left on a three year contract. I haven't done a hardware upgrade since 2006/07.

Why/how did you get a retentions plan with a 3 year contract without getting a new phone in the first place?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
My original contract had a hardware and when that contract was up I had planned on renewing with a hardware upgrade. Then I basically had some issues with them and I was offered this current deal which I took.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Space Cadet posted:

Rogers is getting stingy, particularly if you already have a retention plan if redflagdeals is correct.
You're right, they are getting stingy. I just called and they told me there would be a $180 fee if I upgrade before my three years are up. I think that's a different policy than the last time I upgraded.

I think I'll just get an unlocked iPhone. It's expensive, but it will probably still be worth at least $500-$600 if I sell it in a year. My contract will be up so I can switch without any penalties (or maybe get a good retentions deal) and get a subsidized iPhone 6 or 5S or whatever.

Hell, maybe by then all our phone companies will be offering two year contracts, and they'll all have Wind-style unlimited plans at reasonable prices! Also, the Leafs might win the cup! Actually, the Leafs winning is the more likely scenario.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The competition bureau is suing the Big Three for $10 million a piece for misleading customers over premium text messaging services.

Drop, meet bucket.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Article posted:

He added: “Due to the Competition Bureau’s actions today, we may have no choice but to cancel premium text message services in Canada altogether.”

That...sounds like a good thing

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

DarkJC posted:

That...sounds like a good thing

Oh the humanity! How will we cope without JokeADay or Daily Horoscopes!

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

some Telus spokesperson posted:

“Due to the Competition Bureau’s actions today, we may have no choice but to cancel premium text message services in Canada altogether.”

Oh no! Please anything but that!

This is good news because I loving hate these companies and have no clue why they are legal. What are the chances of this getting off the ground?

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010
So I finally got around to calling Rogers retentions....

After a little bit of haggling, they offered to bring my plan down $65/month before tax. The plan includes bare-bones voice, 6GB of data, and callerID + voicemail. No additional discount on the iPhone 5, just the same subsidy everyone else gets when signing a 3 year contract. I've been a Rogers mobile subscriber for 9 years. I'm going to sit on this for a few days and mull over switching to Wind and grabbing an S3. Gonna have to crunch some numbers and figure out if I still net a saving despite leaving the Wind zone pretty regularly. Any chance Rogers may call back in a while with a more interesting offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Crumbles posted:

So I finally got around to calling Rogers retentions....

After a little bit of haggling, they offered to bring my plan down $65/month before tax. The plan includes bare-bones voice, 6GB of data, and callerID + voicemail. No additional discount on the iPhone 5, just the same subsidy everyone else gets when signing a 3 year contract. I've been a Rogers mobile subscriber for 9 years. I'm going to sit on this for a few days and mull over switching to Wind and grabbing an S3. Gonna have to crunch some numbers and figure out if I still net a saving despite leaving the Wind zone pretty regularly. Any chance Rogers may call back in a while with a more interesting offer?

For $65 at Koodo you could get 6gb data, 150 minutes daytime, unlimited after 5pm, canada wide calling, callerid/voicemail (no visual voicemail though) and unlimited texting.

How does that compare to the Rogers retention plan?