Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CombatCupcake posted:

Not sure if this has been covered....
I'd like to upgrade my HTC EVO 4g to the Evo LTE, but the site is telling me I'd need to upgrade my plan?
I'm on SERO Premium ($50/month). Is this right or do I need to call in? I don't want to upgrade my plan.

It's a quirk of going from a WiMax device to an LTE device. Your monthly fee won't change if the upgrade is done properly, but you're better off calling the employee care number regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I've tried searching for this, but the only answers were vague, "should work, maybe" or "in my opinion".

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - can it roam internationally to GSM? Verizon says "Yes, if you need to we can send an OTA update".

Theoretically, it has to support GSM in some capacity due to LTE, which means a SIM.

The HTC has a sprint-specific "embedded SIM", where has the same phone for verizon has a normal SIM, but I can't find anything about sprint's S3 - if I go international, can I get a local SIM and use it, or do I have to pay the hilariously outrageous roaming "deals"?

Edit:
On network.sprint.com, 4g towers are listed as "data speed upgrade" on the map? I may have one near me, cool.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 12, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Harik posted:

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - can it roam internationally to GSM?
Unlike all other SGS3 models, the Sprint SGS3 does not have an external SIM slot. That might be the simplest answer.

At present, I don't believe any of the CDMA SGS3 models can do GSM roaming out of the box. The hardware is capable of it (subject to the radio bands actually supported by the transciever, of which I don't know if any GSM bands are supported in the Sprint model), and there's a hack available for the Verizon SGS3 to actually do it. Furthermore, Verizon has said it intends to release an OTA update to make global roaming an option on the device in the future.

But with regard to the Sprint model, I don't believe Sprint has advertised it as global-roaming capable in any capacity. That, combined with the lack of an external SIM slot makes it not a particularly good choice for it.

For what it's worth, it seems the trend with Sprint is to use embedded SIMs and not include slots on future global roaming devices. At least, the Photon Q, which is advertised as a world phone, has an embedded SIM.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

I'm due for an upgrade next month, and I was wondering if now would be a good time to upgrade to a new android of if something significantly better was right around the corner. If it is a good time to upgrade which android phone is the best to get? I'm using an Evo 4G right now if that makes any difference.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Burger McAngus posted:

I'm due for an upgrade next month, and I was wondering if now would be a good time to upgrade to a new android of if something significantly better was right around the corner. If it is a good time to upgrade which android phone is the best to get? I'm using an Evo 4G right now if that makes any difference.

Use your upgrade to get a new iPhone 5, sell that poo poo on ebay and get whatever android device you want (and pocket the profit).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For what it's worth, it seems the trend with Sprint is to use embedded SIMs and not include slots on future global roaming devices. At least, the Photon Q, which is advertised as a world phone, has an embedded SIM.

Thanks. What fuckers. I've got a nokia dumbphone for GSM, was hoping that the US was slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into some sort of network compatibility. Nope!

Re-asking this since it was an edit to my original question:
On network.sprint.com, are 4g towers are listed as "data speed upgrade" on the map? If so, I may have one near me, cool.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Technogeek posted:

It's a quirk of going from a WiMax device to an LTE device. Your monthly fee won't change if the upgrade is done properly, but you're better off calling the employee care number regardless.

Wait, what? There are multiple types of SERO Premium accounts now? I'm looking to go from my EVO 3D to iPhone 5 and was hoping to not have to talk to anybody. Do you just ask for "LTE SERO Premium" and hope they don't gently caress up your account?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

rhombus posted:

Wait, what? There are multiple types of SERO Premium accounts now? I'm looking to go from my EVO 3D to iPhone 5 and was hoping to not have to talk to anybody. Do you just ask for "LTE SERO Premium" and hope they don't gently caress up your account?

Just call up the employee number in the OP and say "Hi I want to activate my iPhone 5" and they will take care of it. The people on the employee number are actually smart and wont gently caress up your plan. I've done it a few times switching between a 3G and WiMax phone and haven't had any problems.

The number also has a zero wait time which is pretty nice.

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Harik posted:

Thanks. What fuckers. I've got a nokia dumbphone for GSM, was hoping that the US was slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into some sort of network compatibility. Nope!

On network.sprint.com, are 4g towers are listed as "data speed upgrade" on the map? If so, I may have one near me, cool.

Supposedly, all NV tower upgrades are not shown on Sprint's official upgrade map. Those are just regular upgrades or something.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

ZeroAX posted:

Just call up the employee number in the OP and say "Hi I want to activate my iPhone 5" and they will take care of it. The people on the employee number are actually smart and wont gently caress up your plan. I've done it a few times switching between a 3G and WiMax phone and haven't had any problems.

The number also has a zero wait time which is pretty nice.

Sprint.com won't let me buy an LTE phone, so I'm thinking I'll need to call them to order or prior to ordering online.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I'm going to be upgrading to the iphone 5 and I'm a bit confused by my options or recommended upgrade path.

I have the SERO $30 plan and I don't want to screw up the upgrade. My contract has been fulfilled so I have $150 to use toward an upgrade. The only options I see online through sprint are upgrades to the Everything Plus plans, which are quite a bit higher than SERO premium. Should I call the SERO phone number in the OP and ask to upgrade to SERO premium, then just order the iphone when it becomes available?

Also, what are the plan details of SERO Premium? Same as regular SERO except with smartphone/iphone capability (unlimited text, unlimited data, etc)?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Harik posted:

No, those are just regular towers that are getting, like, a bit more backhaul bandwitdh so they're not quite as slow.

If you want to follow NV 4G tower upgrades, use the resources at S4GRU.com.

edit: Magicaljesus: Yeah, call in and ask to upgrade to SERO Premium ($40/mo). Then when you want to activate the iPhone on your account you'll probably need to call in again so that they can upgrade it to the SERO Premium plan with the LTE code with another $10/mo Premium data added onto that.

And you get the unlimited mobile to mobile when you upgrade to SERO Premium. Everything else is the same, as far as I can remember.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 13, 2012

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Magicaljesus posted:

I'm going to be upgrading to the iphone 5 and I'm a bit confused by my options or recommended upgrade path.

I have the SERO $30 plan and I don't want to screw up the upgrade. My contract has been fulfilled so I have $150 to use toward an upgrade. The only options I see online through sprint are upgrades to the Everything Plus plans, which are quite a bit higher than SERO premium. Should I call the SERO phone number in the OP and ask to upgrade to SERO premium, then just order the iphone when it becomes available?

Also, what are the plan details of SERO Premium? Same as regular SERO except with smartphone/iphone capability (unlimited text, unlimited data, etc)?

I followed the instructions here
http://mcguireslaw.com/2010/11/09/finally-a-solution/
about a year ago so I could add an EVO 3D to my account and it worked out pretty well. I did have to call in to get the $10/month data plan added so I could activate my phone, though.

I just sent an email today for my wife who will hopefully be upgrading her Touch Pro 2 to the new iPhone, but haven't heard back from Sprint yet.

And yup, same plan, you just pay more money for the privilege of being able to use a smartphone.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

rhombus posted:

I followed the instructions here
http://mcguireslaw.com/2010/11/09/finally-a-solution/
about a year ago so I could add an EVO 3D to my account and it worked out pretty well. I did have to call in to get the $10/month data plan added so I could activate my phone, though.

I just sent an email today for my wife who will hopefully be upgrading her Touch Pro 2 to the new iPhone, but haven't heard back from Sprint yet.

And yup, same plan, you just pay more money for the privilege of being able to use a smartphone.

Note that while these instructions aren't wrong, per se, they're only necessary if your sero plan got switched to a non-sero plan as described.

Guy, just call employee care; they can get you on the correct plan in like two minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

I've tried searching for this, but the only answers were vague, "should work, maybe" or "in my opinion".

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - can it roam internationally to GSM? Verizon says "Yes, if you need to we can send an OTA update".

Theoretically, it has to support GSM in some capacity due to LTE, which means a SIM.

The HTC has a sprint-specific "embedded SIM", where has the same phone for verizon has a normal SIM, but I can't find anything about sprint's S3 - if I go international, can I get a local SIM and use it, or do I have to pay the hilariously outrageous roaming "deals"?

Edit:
On network.sprint.com, 4g towers are listed as "data speed upgrade" on the map? I may have one near me, cool.

The S3 is not international. If you want international, either get the iPhone 4S/5, or don't get sprint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Hilarious. Sprint 3G is rear end on Freemont Street, but WiMax is incredible and I think it's actually giving me better battery life.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

brc64 posted:

Hilarious. Sprint 3G is rear end on Freemont Street, but WiMax is incredible and I think it's actually giving me better battery life.

Everyone on Fremont is old and drunk. You're the only one using the 4G up there.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sprint confirms its HD Voice is incompatible with the iPhone 5

quote:

Carrier spokesperson Michelle Leff Mermelstein told Phone Scoop that its version of HD Voice will not work on Apple's new wünderphone. While most carriers use WCDMA networks to achieve the greater definition, Sprint uses CDMA 1X Advanced, which unfortunately isn't compatible with the handset.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Sprint is like the drunken uncle who keeps making you think he's getting his poo poo together and turning things around and then BAM, he gets drunk and hi-jacks a police horse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
What ROM is everyone using for the GNexus right now? Just need plain jellybean and root really.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I'm using the stock FH05 with root. There are a few things I wish I could change like the battery icon, but overall it's good enough for me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Duckman2008 posted:

What ROM is everyone using for the GNexus right now? Just need plain jellybean and root really.
I went from a CM10 nightly to the official Jellybean, all is good.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So what's the trick to having text messages not show up in Google Voice? I just want GV to do voicemails only and it keeps showing all my texts as well.

Is there no way to do this :(

I have the app set to use the default messenger application for texts and the website I turned off receiving texts or whatever so what gives.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Interesting... I would guess that when Sprint deploys LTE voice that problem will go away. LTE voice is mostly just a VoIP call so there is no technical reason it can't support HD Voice... Or even full bandwidth audio. I have no idea why they aren't doing that from day 1 with LTE.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Screw HD. I want 3D voice. Come on guys!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So, Sprint iPhone preorders open on Friday too, right?

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
So I think this may have been asked before but I don't think I've ever seen a definite answer.

If I'm out of contract on my regular everything data line would it be possible to start an EPRP line and then after its active cancel my regular line? Or is Sprint wise to this and I'll have to be off sprint for like 3 months or whatever before I can get EPRP?

I could care less if I have to get a new number and will loose my discount from my old job if I renew my contract with the iPhone 5 so I'm just looking to save some money.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bobula posted:

So, Sprint iPhone preorders open on Friday too, right?

Yes 3am EST tonight. I am going to preorder mine from Apple.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

nate fisher posted:

Yes 3am EST tonight. I am going to preorder mine from Apple.

Pretty sure I can't do that with SERO, so I gotta go with Sprint's site.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Label Facing Right posted:

So I think this may have been asked before but I don't think I've ever seen a definite answer.

If I'm out of contract on my regular everything data line would it be possible to start an EPRP line and then after its active cancel my regular line? Or is Sprint wise to this and I'll have to be off sprint for like 3 months or whatever before I can get EPRP?

I could care less if I have to get a new number and will loose my discount from my old job if I renew my contract with the iPhone 5 so I'm just looking to save some money.
You should be able to do that. You can even keep your old number if you port it out to Google Voice and then port it onto your new line.

(also this)

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

Sprint is like the drunken uncle who keeps making you think he's getting his poo poo together and turning things around and then BAM, he gets drunk and hi-jacks a police horse.

From time to time internally its worse, at times its nearly malicious.

Example: "Hey guys well waive your activation fees if you order online or via telesales"
*Iphone 5 announced*
"By the way we canceled the online offer as of now"

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I read through the OP and my question was only partially answered so I'm hoping someone can help. I signed my wife up for an iPhone on EPRP last year and with the iPhone 5 pre-orders tomorrow I'm wondering how to get on her plan. I really, really would like to buy my phone through Best Buy as I can get a $50 gift card and a better trade in deal than I could if I bought the phone through the web. Is it possible for them to open a new line on EPRP? If not, could I possibly buy the phone and get it added to her account later that day or just switch it to an individual EPRP account at that point?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I read through the OP and my question was only partially answered so I'm hoping someone can help. I signed my wife up for an iPhone on EPRP last year and with the iPhone 5 pre-orders tomorrow I'm wondering how to get on her plan. I really, really would like to buy my phone through Best Buy as I can get a $50 gift card and a better trade in deal than I could if I bought the phone through the web. Is it possible for them to open a new line on EPRP? If not, could I possibly buy the phone and get it added to her account later that day or just switch it to an individual EPRP account at that point?

Not only will best buy not open a new EPRP line for you, they can't sell you a phone if you're on an EPRP plan. In fact, they probably haven't even heard of EPRP. As to your last question, I'm pretty sure you can't downgrade from a regular plan to an EPRP plan.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Has anyone been able to use the $50 Google Wallet credit that came with the Google Nexus preorders at Sprint? They're discontinuing Google Wallet and offering refunds for preloaded funds. However since its a credit I'm unsure if this will qualify for a refund. Has anyone heard anything?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quid posted:

Has anyone been able to use the $50 Google Wallet credit that came with the Google Nexus preorders at Sprint? They're discontinuing Google Wallet and offering refunds for preloaded funds. However since its a credit I'm unsure if this will qualify for a refund. Has anyone heard anything?

They're not discontinuing Google Wallet itself, just the prepaid card as Wallet now allows you to use any card on it.

I don't see why it wouldn't apply for a refund as it's all on that prepaid Google card.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

So I'm trying to get a new iPhone for two SERO accounts, 1 is SERO Premium, while the other is still on the old SERO 500. I just got off the phone with a nice Southern lady on the Employee Care line. I was trying to get both accounts upgraded to be ready for the pre-order tonight. She told me that since both accounts were employee accounts I wouldn't be able to pre-order. According to her the iPhone 5 will only be released to consumer accounts, not employee accounts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Quid posted:

Can you not just go buy a prepaid Visa gift card or something with it? Are you just unable to use Google Wallet on your phone?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Am I going to have any trouble selling my phone (blacklisted or whatever) after paying my ETF?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

supersteve posted:

Am I going to have any trouble selling my phone (blacklisted or whatever) after paying my ETF?

No, Sprint does not blacklist your phone for ending your contract early. They blacklist your phone if you don't pay your bill or you report it stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I have a question. While some people are attempting to upgrade from SERO 4g wimax to LTE and can't do it online, I can not DOWNgrade from 4g wimax to windows mobile.

Yes, yes, I know it're ridiculous that I am wanting to use a non android phone, but I have a Nexus 7 and windows mobile can do wifi routing and 4g wimax isn't all that great. I basically need something to make and receive text messages and phone calls sometimes.

Anyway, how is this accomplished? Can it be? I'll save 10.85 (roughly) per month, or 130 per year if I can pull this off. Also I am doing it because the evo 3D isn't that great. Any ideas?