Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
You need only look to the hordes of mobile devices with a gecko renderer to realize that Firefox can only go UP UP UP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

idgi it's just a huge blank text field

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i legit use firefox because it is spergy.

it lets you do poo poo that other browsers dont that affect how it works, and i need that often.

its for a job i get paid money for.

if i didn't care about full http transactions and faking http headers and collecting header dumps for each transaction and making waterfalls of page loads and sorting by destination address and sorting by ASN they are on, and using varying proxy servers to test from remote networks and all of that garbage...

then i would just use safari

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Sniep posted:

i legit use firefox because it is spergy.

its for a job i get paid money for.

thats ok !

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CaptainMeatpants posted:

yeah like i said earlier, there was content but i instinctively backspaced it and hit submit so

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Ian McLean posted:

I start my masters degree in CS at UCI starting this fall.

lol come work at western digital like every other half-competent uci cs grad

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

yeah like i said earlier, there was content but i instinctively backspaced it and hit submit so

oh lol

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ian is ur undergrad in art history

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
his undergrad is in capitalism iirc

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Computer Information Systems (Business Administration with Laptops)

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
This sounds a lot like Gapminder, but

CaptainMeatpants posted:

ill-informed, confused MBA project idea i've ever seen

https://www.bit.ly/NbK4G5 make sure to hit play, and check out the different categories on the left and bottom. You can graph any development metric against any other one; its really loving cool and the guy who made it is really brilliant.

Gapminder has an extremely clear purpose. I don't see how they can do this without having a small army of people to comb for data. They somehow manage to assemble all of this data, keep it up to date, and the importantly keep it authenticateable. They specifically cite sources from the UN (WHO, FAO), as well as organizations like World Bank and BP.
Even more impressive, Gapminder has chosen to offer all of this data they've compiled as a download--for free.

Your idea seems to (as others have mentioned) gloss over the hard parts of the steps to doing useful analysis. Build it, and the data will appear.

Download the gapminder database. Literally all of the hardwork has been done. The data is all relatable, its up to date, and there is a fuckload of it.
Explain (or demonstrate) something novel and interesting that statpedia can do with entire global histories of different stats.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

This sounds a lot like Gapminder, but

https://www.bit.ly/NbK4G5 make sure to hit play, and check out the different categories on the left and bottom. You can graph any development metric against any other one; its really loving cool and the guy who made it is really brilliant.

Gapminder has an extremely clear purpose. I don't see how they can do this without having a small army of people to comb for data. They somehow manage to assemble all of this data, keep it up to date, and the importantly keep it authenticateable. They specifically cite sources from the UN (WHO, FAO), as well as organizations like World Bank and BP.
Even more impressive, Gapminder has chosen to offer all of this data they've compiled as a download--for free.

Your idea seems to (as others have mentioned) gloss over the hard parts of the steps to doing useful analysis. Build it, and the data will appear.

Download the gapminder database. Literally all of the hardwork has been done. The data is all relatable, its up to date, and there is a fuckload of it.
Explain (or demonstrate) something novel and interesting that statpedia can do with entire global histories of different stats.

Our avs are friends

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

Holla.

Thinking about that election post. I just saw it. Hmm

ok so you should drop statpedia and go with factler buuuuuut

with a twist :twisted:

have you heard: godwins law? basically many people (approx all of them) soemtimes need to compare someone to hitler to augment their argument. So what u do is scrub variuos trivia sites, social networks, imdbs and tvtropes for data on people and eventually you'll gather a seed db of data you can crossreference with facts on hitler.
Then your all set, all you need is for people to install ur greasemonkey script which adds special ubb code to be used in peoples posts like so:

code:
[flr]stevejobs[/flr]
- this will be translated by greasemonkeys into a meaningful factlet on why steb is justlike hitler therefor a bad man.

I recommend enticing the tvtrope community to update your db, you can offer a prize (some of ur kickstartler money) for the best hitler-some person overlay and that person will be the new hitler.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

CaptainMeatpants posted:

it's ok i fixed it :getin:

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

looking good

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ian McLean posted:

I am not going to spend countless hours fixing IE 6 bugs. That is just a waste of my time. They can trade in their horse buggy for something new.

Haven't you seen the statistics for broswer usage these days? I'll upload it to statpedia right now: http://statpedia.com/staging/week-2...wsers_stats.asp

You can also now do a search for browser stats within statpedia and it will pop up in the search

t-t-t-t-these arent browser stats at all :stonk:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

actually, they are.

you have to look between the pixels.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I've seen like 3 different browser stats and they all say different things. The majority say that chrome is the dominate browser now but idk what to thing.

*continues to use shim*

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i remember the horror of seeing goatse for the first time all those years ago

now it warms my heart like meeting an old friend

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

TjyvTompa posted:

all stats viewed in a browser are by definition browser stats

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
bayonetta

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

i've never played this but i watched my friend play through a lot of it

the graphics were pretty good and the boss fight scenes were all literally insane

MUMMY!

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

its a shame the SQL is a wii exclusive

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

0xB16B00B5 posted:

its a shame the SQL is a wii exclusive

I'm banking on the fact that it won't be for long. 3rd party "exclusives" on nintendo consoles (since the GC) have a history of actually not really being very exclusive at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
hey they never ported P.N.03 to anything else

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Yodzilla posted:

hey they never ported P.N.03 to anything else

yeah, the one of the 5 capcom exclusives that didn't get ported. That game looks cool actually, but i've never played it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
supposedly it was loving terrible

and didn't the capcom five only turn out to be three or four? i think it was RE4, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Killer7 and then something that never came out (had the word phoenix in the title?). but then nobody bought any of those games on the gamecube so they were ported to the PS2 super loving fast

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Yodzilla posted:

supposedly it was loving terrible

and didn't the capcom five only turn out to be three or four? i think it was RE4, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Killer7 and then something that never came out (had the word phoenix in the title?). but then nobody bought any of those games on the gamecube so they were ported to the PS2 super loving fast

Oh yeah apparently the other one was gonna be called Dead Phoenix but it didn't happen. RE4, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer7 were great though. Well i've never actually Played killer7, just seen an LP. But it seemed great.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

I'm banking on the fact that it won't be for long. 3rd party "exclusives" on nintendo consoles (since the GC) have a history of actually not really being very exclusive at all.

otoh nintendo is bankrolling the publishing costs for this since sega basically kinda went f u to platinum

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

just a butt posted:

otoh nintendo is bankrolling the publishing costs for this since sega basically kinda went f u to platinum

well that's a bad sign. Maybe I won't get to play it after all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
sega is the worst

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
can i get a badge or av for finding this Ian person :] tyia

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC