Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah Chopper's whole thing is pretty unique to himself, being a doctor and knowing a lot about biology and the like. He might be able to create Rumble Balls designed for other Zoans (if we're working under the assumption that the ones he uses are meant specifically for him) but I doubt he'd come up with anything for the other two classes.

I'm betting once we see more of Vegapunk or his research, Chopper will be the one to learn about Devil Fruits while Franky is working on putting more sweet cyborg tech into his chest cavity or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

KoB posted:

Gear 2 was non-canon retconned by a movie to have been an accidental discovery (theres no way Luffy would have thought that up on his own anyway

What movie was that? Until now I thought it was his genuine invention. I don't follow the universe all that much so that's why I'm asking.

KoB
May 1, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

What movie was that? Until now I thought it was his genuine invention. I don't follow the universe all that much so that's why I'm asking.

The Mecha-castle one. He fights a giant metal crab thing and gets stepped on (compressing his legs) and blasts it away, noting that it was more powerful than normal.

I think it was movie 7, but it could have been 5.
5 was that awful Zoro one, it was 7 "The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I prefer the implication that he invented it by observing the sea train and trying to find a way to recreate soru. Luffy's not the brightest bulb, but even idiots can hit on a good idea occasionally.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Crocodile kicked his rear end because all his attacks were straightforward and the same 5 things

Anyone else miss Gomu Gomu no Shotgun?

KoB posted:

Gear 3 seems like a dumb Luffy idea that happened to work out

Every time Gear 3 happens I just can't get over the physics (or lack of it) and feel like his attacks are any stronger. He's just full of air. If he used the air like a balloon and used the force of air traveling rapidly as his giant arm decompressed or something, then that'd be acceptable, but how does he even get the air into his bones?
Not that physics ever make sense in One Piece (or shounen at all)

And does anyone else not like the art style for haki armament? The idea is fine - since he's made out of rubber, his normal punches should only hurt so much as being hit by rubber, but I just don't like the art for it.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

And does anyone else not like the art style for haki armament? The idea is fine - since he's made out of rubber, his normal punches should only hurt so much as being hit by rubber, but I just don't like the art for it.

It seems less dumb when you realize that he is vulcanizing himself, which is awesome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up. And that change that the manga readers bitched about towards the beginning of the arc comes home to roost. At least it was long enough ago that a lot of people might have forgotten about it.

Also Robin's newfound power levels are completely off the charts. Yes, a way was found to make her broken ability even more broken should it be used to full extent. Mother Fuckers best not be loving with any archaeological sites.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 9, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
What was the change?

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

User0015 posted:

What was the change?

Judging from the tease from a few episodes ago I'm guessing she can clone herself somehow. In addition to creating millions of limbs that can also form giant limbs. And forming limbs on others that then fold them in unnatural ways.

It's broken up and down really.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

User0015 posted:

What was the change?
Earlier in the anime, a flashback showed that one of Hody's friends had been kidnapped by (human) pirates and Hordy and the future New Fishman Pirates had tried to rescue him, only to get beaten until Arlong arrived. Of course, this directly conflicts with this episode's "Nothing".

Also, Robin. :swoon:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

seigfox posted:

Judging from the tease from a few episodes ago I'm guessing she can clone herself somehow. In addition to creating millions of limbs that can also form giant limbs. And forming limbs on others that then fold them in unnatural ways.

The forming regular limbs on others thing isn't new; I know for a fact she did it on Spandam at Enies Lobby, and she probably used it before that as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

seigfox posted:

It's cloning with probable teleportation abilities. Either she's sitting back and creating clones from the shadows or she was caught in the net and teleported behind whatshisface and then cloned herself for a double clutch. The giant limbs may or may not be new, depending on if they're just a whole bunch of parts working together in the form of something, like when she makes wings, or if they're actually giant appendages.

Also she thinks Jimbei is handsome. Sanji will be crushed.

bondster
May 6, 2007

FUN FACT: The girl fishmen with the suitcase is named Octopako, someone that Hachi tried to win over during a mini arc detailing how he and Keimi met.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

It's cloning with probable teleportation abilities. Either she's sitting back and creating clones from the shadows or she was caught in the net and teleported behind whatshisface and then cloned herself for a double clutch. The giant limbs may or may not be new, depending on if they're just a whole bunch of parts working together in the form of something, like when she makes wings, or if they're actually giant appendages.

Also she thinks Jimbei is handsome. Sanji will be crushed.

As far as I've understood it's more like she disassembles the original body and then creates an entirely new body somewhere else instead of just individual limbs, so it's less teleportation and more instant remote cloning.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Robin's abilities may be broken as hell, but that's countered by one glaring weakness, if I understand it correctly: her duplicated limbs transmit the damage to the actual limb.

So she can make a bunch of duplicates, but if even one of them gets shot, they all go down.

Basically she'll always be the "attacking from the shadows or in moments of surprise" type, not just make a 10,000 strong Robin army and steamroll the enemy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
All I can ever think about is how much processing power her brain has. She manages both input and output for those million limbs. If anyone remembers on Water 7 when she creates the million hands with eyes, I was wondering how strange an image that would have produced for her brain.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's best not to think about how DF users percieve things, because if you do start to bring real physics into things it inevitably leads one to wonder why half of them aren't completely bonkers by the experience.

Or maybe that's why Kizaru acts so stoned, the constant red/blueshifting he must experience probably makes him think he's at a rave all the time.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's best not to think about how DF users percieve things, because if you do start to bring real physics into things it inevitably leads one to wonder why half of them aren't completely bonkers by the experience.

Luffy stretches out his corneas and sees crazy poo poo

Smoker's eyes form a cloud and sees crazy poo poo

Some of these must be terrifying o.O

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Bobulus posted:

Robin's abilities may be broken as hell, but that's countered by one glaring weakness, if I understand it correctly: her duplicated limbs transmit the damage to the actual limb.

So she can make a bunch of duplicates, but if even one of them gets shot, they all go down.

Basically she'll always be the "attacking from the shadows or in moments of surprise" type, not just make a 10,000 strong Robin army and steamroll the enemy.

I totally agree with this. Robin rarely if ever participates in a battle directly. She is a stealthy stealthy woman who would put solid snake to shame.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if she was really hiding in a box the whole battle, and not a single Robin on the battlefield is the real one. :tinfoil:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

I totally agree with this. Robin rarely if ever participates in a battle directly. She is a stealthy stealthy woman who would put solid snake to shame.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if she was really hiding in a box the whole battle, and not a single Robin on the battlefield is the real one. :tinfoil:

Do you think Robins can bloom on the battlefield?

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Do you think Robins can bloom on the battlefield?

Yeah, we already know she can bloom half of herself. It would also explain how she can "teleport" across the battlefield too. She made a clone and killed it right before it was killed. Really she'd be just making a new clone and killing an old one while she is surveying the battlefield from a secret location.
It's the kind of strategy that is right up her alley, it's all subterfuge and it leaves her out of the battle.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Dukeofdummies posted:

Yeah, we already know she can bloom half of herself. It would also explain how she can "teleport" across the battlefield too. She made a clone and killed it right before it was killed. Really she'd be just making a new clone and killing an old one while she is surveying the battlefield from a secret location.
It's the kind of strategy that is right up her alley, it's all subterfuge and it leaves her out of the battle.

In other words: Yeah...you do. :allears:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

User0015 posted:

In other words: Yeah...you do. :allears:

Hence the yeah at the beginning of the paragraph.
I don't read the manga so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. It seems a little less OP to me than being able to teleport at the drop of a hat.
With this method she's doing a ton of work keeping up the facade and if someone figures it out she's in a world of trouble. Catch the real one off guard and she's beaten.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's why the real Robin is still hanging out with Dragon.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Dukeofdummies posted:

Hence the yeah at the beginning of the paragraph.

You missed a Metal Gear Solid reference, don't worry about it. :mmmhmm:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

You missed a Metal Gear Solid reference, don't worry about it. :mmmhmm:

This is just like one of my Japanese Animes!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I got bored so I figured I'd watch the new walk to Arlong Park in the Nami OVA. For some reason they changed the music from Overtaken to The Very, Very Strongest.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has it been subbed then?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Not yet to my knowledge. I was just looking at the pretty flashing colors and nonsense sounds out of curiosity.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's just an HD remake of the Arlong arc right? I would assume if you've seen the original you'd know what's happening anyway, subs or not.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I didn't realize how much I miss the old character designs until I've watched the OVA just now :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode. Wow, I really liked that. They finally did what they should have been doing all along and found a constructive way to pad out the episode. At least I don't remember that awesomely hosed up Hody musing from the manga. Got some nice shades of Pink Elephants on Parade in his psychosis.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Preorders for Season 4, voyage 3, to be released in December, are being accepted now. :woop: Amazon link

Is it just me, or are the episodes getting better as this part of the arc closes? :unsmith:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking, and it might be a while from now (and someone might have said this already), but if Oda's gonna do another movie of an arc, War of the Best would make a good film adaption. At least we got a redo of the Arlong Park, but it was good already in its original form. Before filler and boob inflation...

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I was thinking, and it might be a while from now (and someone might have said this already), but if Oda's gonna do another movie of an arc, War of the Best would make a good film adaption. At least we got a redo of the Arlong Park, but it was good already in its original form. Before filler and boob inflation...
To be honest, you could probably stick in Impel Down if you really wanted to strip out the padding during the war and have a good, 3-hour long movie, and it would give everything more context. I just don't know how'd they explain how Law shows up at the end to people who weren't familiar with the series.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Autumncomet posted:

Is it just me, or are the episodes getting better as this part of the arc closes? :unsmith:

I find it increasingly annoying to watch because it outstayed its welcome like 10 episodes ago. I'm sick of watching the conflict reasons beaten to death and "oh my god we are all doomed" every single episode without anythin of substance actually happening. Just loving kick his rear end already so we can move on... So far my least favorite arc, it's at best filler quality. Uninteresting villain, stuff that should've been explained in one brief flashback like the Queen's backstory is dragged out so much that I can't even bring myself to care about the characters nor their cause.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I find it increasingly annoying to watch because it outstayed its welcome like 10 episodes ago. I'm sick of watching the conflict reasons beaten to death and "oh my god we are all doomed" every single episode without anythin of substance actually happening. Just loving kick his rear end already so we can move on... So far my least favorite arc, it's at best filler quality. Uninteresting villain, stuff that should've been explained in one brief flashback like the Queen's backstory is dragged out so much that I can't even bring myself to care about the characters nor their cause.

Yep.

This entire arc was to showcase the crew after their 2 year time skip. These villains are a drat joke to Luffy and his crew. This should have been over in a quarter of the time, with the straw hats mopping the drat floor with everyone and moving on. This arc, like the previous one, should have gone by very quickly, to set the pacing and to display their growth. Part of the fight itself reminds me a lot of Enel, he's at a disadvantage so he's pulling out every trick and crazy idea to beat Luffy. In this case, it's dropping a large boat on the island. So fine, Luffy can kick his rear end in a straight up fight just like Enel, but he's fighting back without going toe-to-toe. So we get to see how bad rear end the crew is now by watching them beat the hell out of a bunch of enemies who stand no chance against them. I definitely want to watch that. Just get it over with already, drat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's definitely a victim of the anime's pacing - I remember it going by a lot quicker in the Manga.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Endorph posted:

It's definitely a victim of the anime's pacing - I remember it going by a lot quicker in the Manga.

It's 100% this. The arc in the manga went by just fine apart from the flashback chapters, but those always seem to last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reiche posted:

It's 100% this. The arc in the manga went by just fine apart from the flashback chapters, but those always seem to last forever.

It's all that extra ink lining the pages to signify it's a flashback. Makes the page turn much slower.