Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Metrication posted:

They are. Apparently he has made his way into politics since then according to a Guardian article.

I like that, I like it a lot. He did say he would spend the rest of his life dedicated to ruining Olly's. First step, join another party and take his out of government! Haha.

I really don't like that Glenn is still at DOSAC though; it just feels wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have a feeling something nasty is going to happen to poor Glen, like always. I do hope the Lib Dems will get a more interesting character later on in the series.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Bit like your hair. What is it you ask for? The Disney Prince?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Metrication posted:

They are. Apparently he has made his way into politics since then according to a Guardian article.

Can't wait to see how that ties in with Levenson

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

WastedJoker posted:

Bit like your hair. What is it you ask for? The Disney Prince?

Yeah? What do you ask for? Ah.. the.. the.. wanker?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I can't wait for Ollie to return too. He had some utterly amazing lines.

"It's not that easy to come up with Das Kapital in the back of the cab, Glenn!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope Julius comes back as well. Pissy biscuits and all.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
This olympic parade has been brilliant. What a turnout for the athletes!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I can honestly imagine something like this real world event happening in the program right now too.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The picture on that article is fantastic. I had no idea that the Telegraph had an in-house acrylics-on-canvas artist.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
PG 5pm Gordon Ramsay is really weird. You can tell he wants to go "mmm loving lovely" but instead it comes out as "mmm *agonisingly long pause* delicious"

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Curse all you cookery programme lovers :argh: My pc died a few weeks ago and won't be replaced immediately so I started looking out some telly to watch and caught a mention in here of the Bake Off series. Fast forward a couple of weeks and now I find myself sat waiting for Celebrity Masterchef to pop up at 6.30 each day and wondering what cakes will be on this Wednesday, what has happened to me >.<

Seriously though, these two programmes are way more entertaining than I ever expected. Daft question probably but is it worth tracking down previous seasons of these shows or is whats on now probably the best they've done?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Fazana posted:

Curse all you cookery programme lovers :argh: My pc died a few weeks ago and won't be replaced immediately so I started looking out some telly to watch and caught a mention in here of the Bake Off series. Fast forward a couple of weeks and now I find myself sat waiting for Celebrity Masterchef to pop up at 6.30 each day and wondering what cakes will be on this Wednesday, what has happened to me >.<

Seriously though, these two programmes are way more entertaining than I ever expected. Daft question probably but is it worth tracking down previous seasons of these shows or is whats on now probably the best they've done?

The previous season of the Great British Bake Off was great and very much in the same mould. I think I remember reading the one before that was a bit different to the current format though

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Fazana posted:

Don't watch Masterchef, but Bake-Off Season 2 was golden. If you watch no other episode, try to find the one where they make croquembouches (basically two-metre high profiterole towers decorated with spun sugar).

The Bake-Off is making Wellingtons right now. Wanna stick my face in all of them. Especially that seabass-filled one.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think its well worth watching the previous 2 seasons for Great British Bake Off even though they're only slightly different, if only because its just such a lovely show. Its all about the joy of baking and they just want to share that with you. Even the judges are lovely and are very supportive of the contestants and give constructive criticism, which is so refreshing on TV these days.

There is no other TV show on the planet that makes me happier than The Great British Bake Off. If I ever meet Paul Hollywood or Mary Berry I'm going to have to fight the urge to hug them.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Doh, it is indeed on right now! Oh well, hurrah for BBC iplayer, will watch it in 30 mins.

Cheers for the info, will go looking for the previous 2 series.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fazana posted:

Doh, it is indeed on right now! Oh well, hurrah for BBC iplayer, will watch it in 30 mins.

Cheers for the info, will go looking for the previous 2 series.

You don't need to wait, iplayer now has a "watch this program from the beginning" that kicks in as soon as it starts. I came in at ten past eight and was able to watch from the start straight away

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Found the first Monkey Dust sketch I ever saw at 1AM on BBC3.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

That doesn't feel like almost 10 years ago :ohdear: Back then I really thought BBC3 was going to be one of the best things the BBC had ever come up with, once it got going. That sure as gently caress didn't happen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I rewatched the Noodles shorts afterwards, Monkey Dust and BBC3 really did show promise.

When did the rot set in with that channel anyways?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

The rot was there from the start (Swiss Toni) but there was always something worth watching for a while with Monkey Dust, The Smoking Room etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for reminding me about Swiss Toni. I was having a pretty good day so far too.

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I rewatched the Noodles shorts afterwards, Monkey Dust and BBC3 really did show promise.

When did the rot set in with that channel anyways?

When they started appointing controllers straight from E4 with Julian Bellamy and Danny Cohen.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Whisper the name of That-Which-Killed-BBC3's-Credibility...

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Whisper the name of That-Which-Killed-BBC3's-Credibility...

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps.

Hey now, the first series wasn't that bad the actors in that thing needed the money.

The rest of that bollocks wasn't needed though.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Did anyone catch Panorama last night? It was about the lives of residents of a really deprived estate in Blackburn. The whole thing weirdly came across as quite heartwarming, yet quite mean-spirited (the lingering shot of the "Doner Kebab pizzas" the family were buying from Iceland seemed a bit "HAHA POOR PEOPLE LOL").

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Double Happiness posted:

(the lingering shot of the "Doner Kebab pizzas" the family were buying from Iceland seemed a bit "HAHA POOR PEOPLE LOL").

Woah there, Iceland sell donner kebab pizzas?! Ive been shopping in the wrong supermarket all these years!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Double Happiness posted:

Did anyone catch Panorama last night? It was about the lives of residents of a really deprived estate in Blackburn. The whole thing weirdly came across as quite heartwarming, yet quite mean-spirited (the lingering shot of the "Doner Kebab pizzas" the family were buying from Iceland seemed a bit "HAHA POOR PEOPLE LOL").

Seemed like a bit of a pointless episode to be honest

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

StrawmanUK posted:

Woah there, Iceland sell donner kebab pizzas?! Ive been shopping in the wrong supermarket all these years!

They also sell microwave fish finger sandwiches. As a student I found this to be a turning point in my life so far.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Double Happiness posted:

They also sell microwave fish finger sandwiches. As a student I found this to be a turning point in my life so far.

You mean to say you hadn't discovered ready meals? What a deprived life you must have lived.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

There's ready meals and then there's ultra lazy ready meals. Like Rustlers and those fake panini things that you put in a Microwave and smell like the Zeebrugge ferry disaster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Double Happiness posted:

I grew up on that estate, so I definitely watched it, looked about the same to me. The main thing I took away from the episode was wondering if their were many North West goons, or even any from Blackburn. I know the idea of a Northern goon meet has been thrown around before.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

There's ready meals and then there's ultra lazy ready meals. Like Rustlers and those fake panini things that you put in a Microwave and smell like the Zeebrugge ferry disaster.

I know I have no taste in what I eat, but my nose must be broken as everyone I meet says those things smell wrong.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Double Happiness posted:

Don't forget the culinary masterpiece that is chicken tikka lasagne.

yes.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Double Happiness posted:

Wait, what the hell. Like, two slices of white with actual fish fingers in the middle?

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh hey a goon mentioned food guess that's the thread for the next four pages.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I grew up on that estate, so I definitely watched it, looked about the same to me. The main thing I took away from the episode was wondering if their were many North West goons, or even any from Blackburn. I know the idea of a Northern goon meet has been thrown around before.

Born and raised in St Helens. Currently a scouser!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Double Happiness posted:

As a student I either ate instant noodles bought in bulk from chinatown, or if I was feeling flush, rice, tuna and sweetcorn. Food of the gods. Best thing is that neither of these things require any cooking implements other than a kettle/microwave.
We didn't even have an oven in my first/third year, let alone have the wont to use one.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tentish klown posted:

As a student I either ate instant noodles bought in bulk from chinatown, or if I was feeling flush, rice, tuna and sweetcorn. Food of the gods. Best thing is that neither of these things require any cooking implements other than a kettle/microwave.
We didn't even have an oven in my first/third year, let alone have the wont to use one.

I know somebody who thinks he can cook, but can't. That's far worse.

Highlights include putting pasta in a pan, filling it with water and then boiling it (the pasta turned into a starchy sirup), boiling chorizo, and adding large amounts of skimmed milk to spaghetti carbonara.

He's also addicted to The Great British Bake Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Iceland's Christmas adverts are always the highlight of the holiday season. I always wanted to try a hoisin duck christmas tree. We once had a very depressing end of term party in my old student house, catered exclusively by Iceland. The American party platter was quite nice, but the defrosted plate of sandwiches was grim. I suppose it saved us the supreme effort of just loving buying some bread and cheese.

Since we're on the food subject. Any recommendations for cooking shows which actually teach you recipes the average human can use? I like Nigella, because although a few of her ingredients are odd, most of the stuff she cooks is quite basic and looks impressive. I tried Jamie's 30 min meals, but I can't stand the twat and he moves at such a fast pace it's hard to follow what he's doing.