Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Though I walk through the shadow of the woods of Gillitie, I will fear no evil, for Coyote is my shepard. Thy laugh and thy shenanigans comfort me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I shall lay me down beside the still waters, but not for too long because there's a crazy ghost bitch down there.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
And for better or worse, this greatly explains how Coyote is able to foster unquestioning loyalty in Ysengrin.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I knew we'd be getting a page like this. Poor Ysengrin. :smith:

I don't think Coyote went so far as to force Ysengrin to do that, though. He knows that he doesn't need to.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
I read the last panel in the style of The Joker from The Dark Knight when he's captured a fake Batman and he's "comforting" him on the tv. It really adds an extra layer of creepiness.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Regy Rusty posted:

Next page Coyote snaps Ysengrin's neck. Chapter ends.

Tell me about the rabbits, Coyote.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Tell me about the rabbits, Coyote.

"I ate them all! AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" *crick*

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Interesting that someone brought up the possibility that Coyote's gifts bring some level of madness, since both Ysengrin and Reynardine have shown signs of instability, and Carver isn't exactly sane either. But then again, maybe it's just that he tends to give gifts to the crazies, presumably because they're more fun (i.e. less predictable)

I'm thinking the latter. Annie's psyche was kind of a mess even before Coyote got to her.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 12, 2012

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Oh no Ysengrin nooooo :qq:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
He's a trickster god. Really, what do people expect?

Other trickster gods: Loki, Eris, Anansi, the Raven, Hermes, Bugs Bunny - these are not nice beings.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

DarkCrawler posted:

Other trickster gods: Loki, Eris, Anansi, the Raven, Hermes, Bugs Bunny - these are not nice beings.

I sincerely, earnestly hope that after the collapse of civilization, there are tribes on the North American continent passing down the oral tradition of Bugs Bunny stories.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
You go Coyote! Screw the haters, you're just a good friend comforting your buddy Ysengrin after he couldn't kill that bratty little firehead girl.

:unsmigghh:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

I'm not naive enough to trust Coyote, but I'm also not silly enough to assume anything about Coyote at all. He's smiling, which is probably a bad sign, but a desperate part of me hopes that he planned this to help Ysengrin realize his problem and control his rage - we've seen Coyote annoyed with Ysengrin's anger problems before now. But again, with Coyote, it's probably never what it seems.

Interesting that someone brought up the possibility that Coyote's gifts bring some level of madness, since both Ysengrin and Reynardine have shown signs of instability, and Carver isn't exactly sane either. But then again, maybe it's just that he tends to give gifts to the crazies, presumably because they're more fun (i.e. less predictable)

Regardless of any of this, I'm impressed that Tom can so easily transition Ysengrin from a monster and villain to a desperate and sick victim. The dude comes from circumstances :(

Coyote's history leaves nothing silly about that bit of assumption. If things do turn your way, though, I'd imagine something along the lines of Coyote needing a truly severe ploy to get Ysengrin to give up his powers. I think, rather than having been gifted them as a cruel play, Ysengrin is the one who begged for control over the forest for whatever his reasons were (probably for the power to fight against the Court; remember that before, this guy didn't even have the small bit of calm he has now. It took Annie softening him a little). I'm thinking his hatred for humanity might've been enough to keep him stubborn on continuing with these powers even at the known expense of his body and mind. The only, and I mean only, basis I'm using for this is Coyote's desire to have Renard back in the forest and back with his body. I don't think Coyote is very keen on having his compatriots making shells of themselves.

But traditionally, the far simpler option is Coyote loves loving with Ysengrin, whose well being he couldn't give two shits about other than he might lose his toy if things are pushed too far.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ysengrin in this comic reminds me of my dog. She is old, has weak back legs and is blind and mostly deaf. Sometimes she'll get stuck somewhere or get upset and when I go pick her up and help her she calms down and relaxes because I'm there to comfort her. Fortunately my dog is just old and needs help, she is not a crazy forest spirit who is being manipulated by Coyote.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
loving Coyote, man. loving Coyote.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Jesus. Ysengrin had become one of my favorite characters since the Old Dog's Tricks chapter. I wasn't sure what to think after he snapped during this chapter. But seeing him looking so confused and upset... we've never seen this side of him before. :smith:

This makes me think of the whole thing about the "real" Ysengrin. Maybe he wasn't always this angry. I do think the tree body (or Coyote, really) has a lot to do with it. I want to believe he'll break out of his cycle of madness someday.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Rasamune posted:

I sincerely, earnestly hope that after the collapse of civilization, there are tribes on the North American continent passing down the oral tradition of Bugs Bunny stories.

Anthropologist all positing that Elmer Fudd and Wile E Coyote are both the same meta-character representing the god of bad hunting decisions.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually half expecting Coyote AND Ysengrin to turn into rocks at the chapters end.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
This page loving destroyed me when I tried reading Coyote's lines in Mark Hamill's Joker voice.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

This makes me think of the whole thing about the "real" Ysengrin. Maybe he wasn't always this angry. I do think the tree body (or Coyote, really) has a lot to do with it. I want to believe he'll break out of his cycle of madness someday.

Coyote most likely had his own pre-established idea about which version is the "true" Ysengrin and set about to prove it. By breaking him.

gently caress you, Coyote.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rasamune posted:

There's a similar great moment in Bunraku, which is set in the far future, where Woody Harrelson is telling a mythological fable to inspire/ teach a laesson the main character. It's about a spartan looking guy named Arachnos who falls into a cave and is bitten by a magic spider. He gains the spider's power and uses it for personal gain, which ends up getting his uncle killed. And so he learns that with great power comes great responsibility.

Modern figures ending up as myth is such a cool idea.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Regy Rusty posted:

Next page Coyote snaps Ysengrin's neck. Chapter ends.

Coyote wouldn't do anything to put Ysengrin out of his misery. His misery is one of Coyote's sources of entertainment.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Holy good god.

:stare:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Well.. I can't say I like Coyote anymore. That's all kinds of hosed up, jesus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw that's sweet of him. :3:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

:psyboom:

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Oooookay. How long has he been doing that?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This casts new light on every past event in the entire comic. I don't even know what to begin to think.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Coyote, you arsehole!

You used to be my favourite character...!

Ysengrin :ohdear:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Ya, I'm going to just assume that Ysengrin's rages and developing insanity are less caused by himself, and more a direct result of what Coyote is doing here.

Also, everyone's Coyote avatar is now of a rather evil character. (I still like him)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's not a trick, it's just straight up being an shithead.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I both love and hate this comic for taking judgments I'd made about the characters in this story and absolutely destroying them. I thought that Coyote was simply mischievous, not cruel. Jesus Christ.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AE-35 Unit posted:

I both love and hate this comic for taking judgments I'd made about the characters in this story and absolutely destroying them. I thought that Coyote was simply mischievous, not cruel. Jesus Christ.

Nah he's just into sustainable food. :3:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Well, GKC was losing me for a bit there, but god drat if this page didn't just wake me the gently caress up.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

AE-35 Unit posted:

I guess that's what we get for assuming the playfulness of a trickster god. He's all fun and games while things are going to his plan. But if something doesn't benefit his plan, well then you get this.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
So if Coyote has taken Ysengrin's memory then Ysengrin won't remember how he attacked Annie and how felt afterward. The next time he sees Annie and she is no longer friendly he will be confused and probably lash out and Coyote will get another snack. Then the cycle will repeat again and again.

This does not bode well for Annie's relation with the forest and would explain why the Court thinks Ysengrin is losing his mind as his memory is full of holes.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:
No wonder Ysengrin is going insane if Coyote just keeps literally messing with his mind.

His expression in first two panels. :smith:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, that is kind of a dick move, Coyote.

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Panel 2 is just destroying me. This feels super creepy after the "hush hush hush" on the last page.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

The "stars in the night sky" bit here sure looks an awful lot like memory snacks. Are the stars in the night sky actually memories? I might be going way out there with this, but I don't know what to think anymore. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

AE-35 Unit posted:

The "stars in the night sky" bit here sure looks an awful lot like memory snacks.

O. Totally batshit theory time. Do you think Jones could be a memory of someone?

Edit: Actually, that wouldn't explain her physical traits, but my mind is throwing out all sorts of wild theorys now. Such as, did Coyote want Reynard as a servant for more mind snacks?