Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Useless Rabbit posted:

This feels like the same "outrage" that came up when the LOTR:SE BD box set came out and people were furious about the slight changes to the color timing. When seeing these screenshots side by side, the differences are obvious, but who watches movies like that? And who has the memory for really specific color and contrast differences, especially between all kinds of various media over the years? It's a lot of anger over a relatively minor thing.

Yeah. Unless the tinkering is particularly egregrious (original French Connection) or otherwise harmful to the film (Do The Right Thing's "hottest day of the year" looking like autumn) I don't think it's too bad in most cases, viewed in context without A/B comparisons.

There also tends to be a belief that the old master is *always* the correct colour timing which is certainly not always the case.

Aliens has a major teal+orange push, but still has to be one of the most fantastic transfers on the format. LOTR has some revised colour grading, but would you even notice? And look at the bitching about O Brother Where Art Thou, which looks quite a bit different from the old master, yet close to how it appeared in a decade-old article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

frumpsnake posted:

LOTR has some revised colour grading, but would you even notice?

The problem is, in my case atleast, it works like the Fedex arrow. It annoys me to no end when I watch the EE now, especially when you consider the segment during the extras where they can't stop talking about how they use digital grading to achieve a "magic" look for each goddamn shot. Which the green tint completely fucks up.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
You guys should relax.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

CPL593H posted:

Also, they removed the reflection of the cobra when it almost attacks Dr. Jones (but not Marion for some reason).
I'm 73% sure that isn't on the DVDs, either.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mustach posted:

I'm 73% sure that isn't on the DVDs, either.

Back when the DVDs were released, that was the only change that Spielberg mentioned.

Also, we have to accept that films will always look different in different masterings. Mastering is an art, not a science, and you'd be surprised at all the different decisions people make. I wouldn't be surprised if they did some work to make Indy look the way it did in the old DVD, just like they probably did some work to make Indy look the way it does on Blu-ray. Anything different will always be a bit of a shock.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

So, if any of you pre-ordered that recently delayed Marvel Phase 1 box set from Amazon, check your email. If you've kept your pre-order with them they've sent you a promo code to get a copy of The Avengers Blu-Ray/DVD combo for free. That is a pretty awesome move for people like me who were really irritated about having to double dip on that movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DFu4ever posted:

So, if any of you pre-ordered that recently delayed Marvel Phase 1 box set from Amazon, check your email. If you've kept your pre-order with them they've sent you a promo code to get a copy of The Avengers Blu-Ray/DVD combo for free. That is a pretty awesome move for people like me who were really irritated about having to double dip on that movie.
Wait, if you pre-ordered it, like, did not pay for it yet, they sent you a code for a free blu-ray? You can still cancel the pre-order, right?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Wait, if you pre-ordered it, like, did not pay for it yet, they sent you a code for a free blu-ray? You can still cancel the pre-order, right?

Sure, but they'll likely just charge you for the blu-ray at that point.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the Universal Hitchcock set has been delayed to Oct. 30. They're apparently fixing some of the problems with the films.

Nick Wrigley (former Masters of Cinema head) seems to have finished looking at the check discs. The following taken from his posts on HTF and Enthusiasm.org:

Saboteur - 8/10
Shadow of a Doubt - 7/10
Rope - 7.5/10
Rear Window - 8.5/10
The Trouble with Harry - 7.5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much - 7/10
Vertigo - no score yet, "incredible detail", but some color issues
Psycho seems to be the same existing disc.
The Birds - no score yet, "looks impressive, but some strangeness"
Marnie - 3/10 (very poor "fuzzy" encode)
Torn Curtain - 4/10 (heavy DVNR)
Topaz - no score yet ("pretty bloody good")
Frenzy - 3/10 (heavy DVNR, poorly re-done credits)
Family Plot - 4/10 (heavy DVNR)

Vertigo appears to have a new 5.1 mix that tones down the re-recorded foley compared to the 5.1 mix on the previous DVDs. Still no original mono track (Which is only on the 2005 box set version), but it'll be interesting to compare.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I got the UK version of of the Avengers box set today and the whole thing just reeks of :effort:. It's literally just the discs from the individual releases slapped together in a box - they didn't even bother given them new art to make them look like they're all supposed to be part of the same set (note how The Incredible Hulk sticks out like a sore thumb as it's a Universal release):

Iron Man 2's disk is still labelled "Disc 1", despite the fact that the UK set doesn't actually include the second disc.

That and the UK's release of The Avengers Assemble is missing special features (like the Joss Whedon commentary), and reports are that it's even been digitally censored in the UK.

Normally I wouldn't be so annoyed, it's just the US version is so much better compared to this - even if it is delayed!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, the Universal Hitchcock set has been delayed to Oct. 30. They're apparently fixing some of the problems with the films.

Nick Wrigley (former Masters of Cinema head) seems to have finished looking at the check discs. The following taken from his posts on HTF and Enthusiasm.org:

Saboteur - 8/10
Shadow of a Doubt - 7/10
Rope - 7.5/10
Rear Window - 8.5/10
The Trouble with Harry - 7.5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much - 7/10
Vertigo - no score yet, "incredible detail", but some color issues
Psycho seems to be the same existing disc.
The Birds - no score yet, "looks impressive, but some strangeness"
Marnie - 3/10 (very poor "fuzzy" encode)
Torn Curtain - 4/10 (heavy DVNR)
Topaz - no score yet ("pretty bloody good")
Frenzy - 3/10 (heavy DVNR, poorly re-done credits)
Family Plot - 4/10 (heavy DVNR)

Vertigo appears to have a new 5.1 mix that tones down the re-recorded foley compared to the 5.1 mix on the previous DVDs. Still no original mono track (Which is only on the 2005 box set version), but it'll be interesting to compare.

Am I mistaken or was this set supposed to include North By Northwest?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Am I mistaken or was this set supposed to include North By Northwest?

Nick Wrigley was talking about the UK edition.

North By Northwest is included in the American release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Nick Wrigley was talking about the UK edition.

North By Northwest is included in the American release.

USA! USA! USA!

So what's the word on the US set? Are they the same transfers as the UK set?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

USA! USA! USA!

So what's the word on the US set? Are they the same transfers as the UK set?

They're both from Universal so I can imagine they would be (minus the US quid pro quo licensing of North By Northwest from Warner)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

North by Northwest and Psycho will be the same existing discs.

If you haven't seen it yet, North by Northwest is flawless. They scanned the faded camera negative and replaced the faded layer with the corresponding color separation. Psycho could have used a bit less noise reduction, but still looks great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whoah, Fantastic Mr Fox looks incredible on BD. You can see the amount of craftsmanship put into the creation of the characters and set. I think its colour scheme helps too.

Anyone can tell me about Chronicle on Blu-ray? How big is a difference before and after Andrew gets a new camera?

Related to that, how does a movie like Paranormal Activity look on Blu-ray? The movie's premise is based on recordings made with low-res cameras, so how does that look in HD?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

North by Northwest and Psycho will be the same existing discs.

If you haven't seen it yet, North by Northwest is flawless. They scanned the faded camera negative and replaced the faded layer with the corresponding color separation. Psycho could have used a bit less noise reduction, but still looks great.

I've yet to pick up any Hitchcock films on blu-ray. I was pretty hyped about hearing about this set because a) I really loving want a Rear Window blu-ray and b) the idea of getting that many of his films all in one set is a pretty good idea. So I'm hoping they sort out what ever quality issues there are before this hits stores.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

The MSJ posted:

Anyone can tell me about Chronicle on Blu-ray? How big is a difference before and after Andrew gets a new camera?

Related to that, how does a movie like Paranormal Activity look on Blu-ray? The movie's premise is based on recordings made with low-res cameras, so how does that look in HD?

It's been a while since I've seen them but PA1 and 2 look pretty much like how they're supposed to. I think 2 was overall sharper but it still looked like it was filmed on a normal consumer hd camcorder. I think part of the plot of 1 was that the guy had a bunch of money to blow and bought a higher-end camera. 3 was supposed to be on VHS and is softer than the others but it still looks pretty close to 1.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Amazon.co.uk is having a big autumn Blu-Ray sale. $50 for the complete Harry Potter set, $16 for the Alien Anthology, and tons more. The one's that are region free are pretty clearly marked.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 17, 2012

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

morestuff posted:

Amazon.co.uk is having a big autumn Blu-Ray sale. $50 for the complete Harry Potter set, $16 for the Alien Anthology, and tons more. The one's that are region free are pretty clearly marked.

Thanks to your link, I discovered that the UK version of the Universal Monsters set not only comes in a sweet coffin, but is also region free and way cheaper. I think I'm changing my pre-order...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Does the shipping costs to the US negate any savings? I've never bought anything from UK Amazon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They seem to be fairly reasonable to Australia.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ApexAftermath posted:

Does the shipping costs to the US negate any savings? I've never bought anything from UK Amazon.

I just checked to see what it would cost to ship a box set, and it was about five dollars. I wouldn't expect the quoted shipping dates to be too accurate, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I still don't understand why Amazon UK's international shipping is cheaper than Amazon's domestic shipping. Or why the products are just generally cheaper. It's probably Obama's fault.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is the version of Zodiac on there the "good" version? I remember talk a while back about how one transfer was amazing and the other was poo poo but I could be wrong.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

morestuff posted:

I just checked to see what it would cost to ship a box set, and it was about five dollars. I wouldn't expect the quoted shipping dates to be too accurate, though.
I remember my Godfather set from them came like a week earlier than they said it was going to. Ymmv, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

About that Amazon UK The Thing double pack, the disc for each film is the same as in the standalone releases right? As in you get the exact same picture quality and bonus features if you buy the movies separately?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

yoohoo posted:

Is the version of Zodiac on there the "good" version? I remember talk a while back about how one transfer was amazing and the other was poo poo but I could be wrong.

Honestly, the UK release is fine, but the US release *does* have double the video bitrate and lossless audio.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

$16 for the Alien Anthology

Aw, the Anthology doesn't have the features discs that come with the Quadrilogy :(

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Max22 posted:

Aw, the Anthology doesn't have the features discs that come with the Quadrilogy :(

Aren't all the features just on the BD disc with the movie? I think they're in SD but all the documentaries and stuff are still there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tomtrek posted:

That and the UK's release of The Avengers Assemble is missing special features (like the Joss Whedon commentary), and reports are that it's even been digitally censored in the UK.

I was halfway through a long rant about hating the incompatible natures of the US and UK ratings systems, but it sounds like it's the German version that's censored and not the UK one. It's the spear scene that's different. Spoiler in link - http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149

I do hate it when the studios would rather shift more units by cutting an R down to a 15 than releasing it uncut at 18 though.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Max22 posted:

Yeah, it is a toned-down version without the two bonus discs and a slightly more mundane packaging. Still an excellent set for the price.

edit: And to clarify, the prettier set with the greenish box art and more extras is also called "Alien Anthology". This cheaper one just comes in a blue box.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 17, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The pHo posted:

I was halfway through a long rant about hating the incompatible natures of the US and UK ratings systems, but it sounds like it's the German version that's censored and not the UK one. It's the spear scene that's different. Spoiler in link - http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149

Apparently the issue is that the UK BD uses the same transfer and therefore has the same censorship as the German one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouch, poor effort. I'll see if my mate has any juice on it, he works for Disney UK still I think. Is the DVD the same? I think there's a copy in the house somewhere.

The aforementioned boxset looks a real cheap effort so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. I hope my mate gets a better deal when he buys the Phase 1 boxset from the States.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

The pHo posted:

I do hate it when the studios would rather shift more units by cutting an R down to a 15 than releasing it uncut at 18 though.

I've now watched the UK Blu-Ray and can confirm that it is censored exactly as that link describes - which doesn't really make any sense since the film got into cinemas uncut as a 12a, but yet they cut it for Blu-Ray and it's still a 12?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This is the kind of crap that makes me really wish we were past this nonsense and all discs were always region-free.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tomtrek posted:

I've now watched the UK Blu-Ray and can confirm that it is censored exactly as that link describes - which doesn't really make any sense since the film got into cinemas uncut as a 12a, but yet they cut it for Blu-Ray and it's still a 12?

Based on what Max22 posted, it'll be down to laziness. They'll possibly reissue it with the scene corrected and the usual disc swapout by mail. Weird how it's the German version that dictated this, interesting to know if the uncut master for UK is lying around unused somewhere.

This happens all the time sadly, the Community DVDs have the wrong cuts for some of the episodes (they used the syndicated versions by mistake) and the Arrested Development DVDs have an episode where the FOX TV on screen graphics are on there. You'd really think these things would be picked up...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

This is the kind of crap that makes me really wish we were past this nonsense and all discs were always region-free.

R.I.P HD-DVD - you were too beautiful for this ugly world

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

The pHo posted:

Based on what Max22 posted, it'll be down to laziness. They'll possibly reissue it with the scene corrected and the usual disc swapout by mail. Weird how it's the German version that dictated this, interesting to know if the uncut master for UK is lying around unused somewhere.

An interview with Lydia Rodrigues, the Disney UK home entertainment spokesperson, has her claiming that the UK Blu-Ray is exactly what we got in cinemas - i.e. that the censoring was there, too. Maybe it's my faulty memory, but I could swear I remember the uncensored version. More importantly though, the digital censoring isn't mentioned at all in the BBFC report, and it actually describes the scene pre-censor:

(Avengers spoilers)

BBFC posted:

A slightly stronger moment occurs when a man is stabbed through the back by the chief villain's spear. The detail of the impact is not shown, only the tip of the spear protruding from the man's chest with a small amount of blood on it. The image is not dwelt upon and serves an important narrative purpose.

So I've got no idea what she's talking about.

She also mentions why we don't get the Joss Whedon commentary - "Our DLT (Digital Linear Tape, required to replicate the disc) had to be delivered one month earlier than that required for the US pressing. So we missed out." - why the UK release doesn't have the Shawarma scene - "That wasn’t available to us at the time", and what people in the UK can do if they actually want this content:

"We also know that hardcore fans with Blu-ray players are probably going to end up buying the US release which has the commentary. The American Blu-ray is region-free."

Thanks, Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For those who don't read the Criterion thread, these are the December releases:

Brazil
Following
Purple Noon
The Qatsi Trilogy

• Locked thread