Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Soviet warships are so much more impressive looking than our own. Shame DNC can't tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah the soviets liked to have a lot of their missile tubes on full display, with stacks more CIWS all over the place.. A bunch of vertical launch tubes might make for a much cleaner profile but it doesn't pack a visual punch!

Plus I liked how the Sovs would have the reddish-brick colour on the deck, any reason they painted it that way?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

Yeah the soviets liked to have a lot of their missile tubes on full display, with stacks more CIWS all over the place.. A bunch of vertical launch tubes might make for a much cleaner profile but it doesn't pack a visual punch!

Meh. The Iowa class remains simultaneously the prettiest and baddest-rear end-looking warships ever put to sea. Udaloys are cool, I guess, but a Sovremmeny looks like someone built a bunch of stuff with an Erector set and then dropped a cinderblock on it.

quote:

Plus I liked how the Sovs would have the reddish-brick colour on the deck, any reason they painted it that way?

They probably just drunkenly slathered the deck in the same copper anti-fouling paint they used for the hull.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Meh. The Iowa class remains simultaneously the prettiest and baddest-rear end-looking warships ever put to sea. Udaloys are cool, I guess, but a Sovremmeny looks like someone built a bunch of stuff with an Erector set and then dropped a cinderblock on it.

Yeah they didn't look that pretty but they sure had a lot of stuff slapped all over the place.. Sort of flexing the guns, so to speak.

The Kirov-class was a pretty nice looking ship imo, and it had all the vertical launch tubes keeping the foredeck pretty clean.

quote:

They probably just drunkenly slathered the deck in the same copper anti-fouling paint they used for the hull.

Laff, so true.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

grover posted:

Soviet warships are so much more impressive looking than our own. Shame DNC can't tell the difference.

These days they look very similar to US/NATO ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steregushchy_class_corvette

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

Yeah they didn't look that pretty but they sure had a lot of stuff slapped all over the place.. Sort of flexing the guns, so to speak.

The Kirov-class was a pretty nice looking ship imo, and it had all the vertical launch tubes keeping the foredeck pretty clean.

See, to me that thing just screams "bad early 70s neo-futuristic." I'm picturing a nightclub populated by Slavic guys with thick chest hair and gold medallions. And they drive this to get there:

Except, you know, made by Lada and not Lotus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

To me it looks like something Hasbro would be selling as the "Cobra BattleCruiser(tm)", which would have been AWESOME.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

priznat posted:

To me it looks like something Hasbro would be selling as the "Cobra BattleCruiser(tm)", which would have been AWESOME.

This probably came close to existing, to provide a counterpart to the USS Flagg.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had an acquaintance who had the USS Flagg, that was pretty neat.

Never knew anyone who had that space shuttle monster though.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

priznat posted:

I had an acquaintance who had the USS Flagg, that was pretty neat.

Never knew anyone who had that space shuttle monster though.
I wanted the Flagg SOOOOOOOO bad as a kid, but was a deprived child, just because my parents didn't want a 7' piece of plastic awesome in the living room :(

A friend of mine had one, and it was most definitly the coolest toy ever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

priznat posted:

I don't know about the Soviets, but commercial shipowners use that color because rust doesn't show as much. It's also one of those colors that doesn't "get dirty". Less maintenance.

Anti-fouling is expensive as gently caress, I don't think even the sovs would use it on a deck.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Google Reverse image search brings back a book cover. Perhaps a really bad photoshop Job. However I am guessing the book cover image was originally from somewhere else. I have to chuckle at the Seapower in the Air power thread though.

http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415622622/

edit: It looks like we aren't the only ones who noticed either.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/09/navy-russian-warships-displayed-dnc-veterans-tribute-091112/

_firehawk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 13, 2012

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I will almost guarantee that it's just a stock image owned by Getty Images or one of the other big stock photo companies. Chances are they just told some intern to get a suitably good looking picture of navy ships as a backdrop for the speech and that was the first (and likely only) stop they made.

It's still pretty stupid that they didn't just do a GIS for a public domain photo from the Navy, but whatever.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I will almost guarantee that it's just a stock image owned by Getty Images or one of the other big stock photo companies. Chances are they just told some intern to get a suitably good looking picture of navy ships as a backdrop for the speech and that was the first (and likely only) stop they made.

It's still pretty stupid that they didn't just do a GIS for a public domain photo from the Navy, but whatever.

I'm sure if some Democratic Party lackey had called a public affairs desk at the Pentagon and asked for some stock navy images they would of been more then happy to point them in the right direction. It's just sloppiness.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
DNC isn't the only one to grab the wrong images off google...

http://www.bertisevil.tv/pages/bert038.htm

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So a octogenarian nun and two of her sister protesters successfully broke into the enriched uranium facility in Tennessee to protest the lax security there.

Uranium? Not plutonium?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I'm not asking if it's pregnant, but drat...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm not asking if it's pregnant, but drat...

It's a boy turbo-ramjet!

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

:drat: dat rear end... I have always had a soft spot for ramjets.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Museum at Le Bourget is full of such wacky projects.

(last one is a VTOL Mirage III)

:france:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gervasius posted:

Museum at Le Bourget is full of such wacky projects.

:france:

Ok, what the hell are these?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Ok, what the hell are these?

First one is a Payen Katy, early jet-age experimental plane, second one is Leduc 0.22, prototype ramjet interceptor.

One more:

Trident, prototype jet/rocket interceptor.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
All of those are wacky, but jesus that second one looks like something seriously out of the Thunderbirds.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

iyaayas01 posted:

All of those are wacky, but jesus that second one looks like something seriously out of the Thunderbirds.

Fabulous, isn't it? Look it dem cockpit:

There was a room for a man inside :)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Gervasius posted:

Fabulous, isn't it? Look it dem cockpit:

There was a room for a man inside :)

Yeah, that's what I thought I saw which is what inspired my comment...here's a ramjet, and cockpits are kind of draggy so we're just going to put the pilot in the nose cone, no big deal. The '50s: when airplanes were designed by 8 year olds.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought I saw which is what inspired my comment...here's a ramjet, and cockpits are kind of draggy so we're just going to put the pilot in the nose cone, no big deal. The '50s: when airplanes were designed by 8 year olds.
Wild that despite an ramjet literally the size of the entire aircraft, they were unable to get it supersonic.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yarr, th'Area Rule be a harsh mistress...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 17, 2012

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

"So I'm supposed to bail out right before I hit, huh?"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I have a quick dumb question related to the cold war. I'm watching an older discovery channel wings on the Mig-29 and Su-27 and they just got to the first demonstration of the Mig-29 in England and I started to wonder something. How did the logistics and permissions for getting military equipment from the East out to places like Paris and England for the shows during the Cold War?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LP97S posted:

I have a quick dumb question related to the cold war. I'm watching an older discovery channel wings on the Mig-29 and Su-27 and they just got to the first demonstration of the Mig-29 in England and I started to wonder something. How did the logistics and permissions for getting military equipment from the East out to places like Paris and England for the shows during the Cold War?

I don't really know enough to answer your question properly, but it was kind of accepted that neither side was going to surprise nuke an airshow or something. Also, all involved were pretty pumped about the air shows, from what I've read/heard because you got to play the game of trying to get as much info as possible about your enemy without revealing your own secrets. It was and still is common for aircraft attending international airshows to have very strict rules set about by the sending country's military about what the aircraft can/can't do, particuarly with regards to radar, certains sensors, etc in order to deny the enemy of opportunities to exploit your systems or collect ELINT or SIGINT.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Did NATO countries ever send aircraft over to Warsaw Pact countries for airshows?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Craptacular posted:

Did NATO countries ever send aircraft over to Warsaw Pact countries for airshows?
Yes, the US frequently did fly-overs of Soviet airshows with U-2s. :mil101:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

grover posted:

Yes, the US frequently did fly-overs of Soviet airshows with U-2s. :mil101:

They even donated a permanent display.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Craptacular posted:

I'm not sure there even were any major airshows in the pact area. I certainly haven't heard of any. Flyovers and military parades, sure, but airshows where the general public could see aircraft up close?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

mlmp08 posted:

I don't really know enough to answer your question properly, but it was kind of accepted that neither side was going to surprise nuke an airshow or something. Also, all involved were pretty pumped about the air shows, from what I've read/heard because you got to play the game of trying to get as much info as possible about your enemy without revealing your own secrets. It was and still is common for aircraft attending international airshows to have very strict rules set about by the sending country's military about what the aircraft can/can't do, particuarly with regards to radar, certains sensors, etc in order to deny the enemy of opportunities to exploit your systems or collect ELINT or SIGINT.

Don't forget the TU-144 incident at the Paris Airshow. We really, really wanted to get a better look at the canards on the TU-144.

Oops.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PhotoKirk posted:

Don't forget the TU-144 incident at the Paris Airshow. We really, really wanted to get a better look at the canards on the TU-144.

Oops.

Maybe or maybe not. The most that's been released to support that (popular in the USSR) theory is that there was a Mirage in the air nearby, not that it was actually involved in the crash which coincided almost immediately with the completed deployment of the canards.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the popular French theory was that the Soviets were fed flawed information about the Concorde, used it in the design of the Tu-144, and it resulted in structural problems. Probably also false, though the Soviet effort to steal anything they could about the Concorde to help with the Tu-144 appears to have been real.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 1, 2012

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Maybe or maybe not. The most that's been released to support that (popular in the USSR) theory is that there was a Mirage in the air nearby, not that it was actually involved in the crash which coincided almost immediately with the completed deployment of the canards.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the popular French theory was that the Soviets were fed flawed information about the Concorde, used it in the design of the Tu-144, and it resulted in structural problems. Probably also false, though the Soviet effort to steal anything they could about the Concorde to help with the Tu-144 appears to have been real.

Now there is another popular in Russia theory about this, that it was a WATCH THIS accident, where the crew was ordered to deactivate (or put in a experimental program) the load limiters to pull more impressive maneuvers off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNON6NTFIY

The part at the end where dude is just lighting up a cig is never not awesome.