Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Had a gig this weekend: squire at a knight's tourney for some country fair in Bumfuck, Idaho. We decided to do a warm-up act, squire knife fight! At some point, in between shows, we're putzing around with the daggers and a knight in plate steps into the ring, asking if anyone wanted a fight. Long story short, I took down and armbarred a fully armored knight to the surprise and amusement of several dozen onlookers. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My Training school has had a promo youtube video made I think it shows what there trying to achieve fairly well (Fitness and family oriented muay thai training) it's been online for a while now not sure how I haven't come across it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwEVWjJFSRw&list=UUbzgqtpwYhYZk2B5RcsFQUA&index=3&feature=plcp

As a film student something just doesn't sit right for me with it (apart from the terrible royalty free music) there's a few shot's I wouldn't have used personally (like one near the end that involves me getting kicked in the balls) what do you guys think? does thie promote the place pretty well?

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Rhaka posted:

Had a gig this weekend: squire at a knight's tourney for some country fair in Bumfuck, Idaho. We decided to do a warm-up act, squire knife fight! At some point, in between shows, we're putzing around with the daggers and a knight in plate steps into the ring, asking if anyone wanted a fight. Long story short, I took down and armbarred a fully armored knight to the surprise and amusement of several dozen onlookers. Fun times.

poo poo this is awesome. How did the knight take it. I'd could see him being pissed and confused.

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus

Gaz2k21 posted:

My Training school has had a promo youtube video made I think it shows what there trying to achieve fairly well (Fitness and family oriented muay thai training) it's been online for a while now not sure how I haven't come across it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwEVWjJFSRw&list=UUbzgqtpwYhYZk2B5RcsFQUA&index=3&feature=plcp

As a film student something just doesn't sit right for me with it (apart from the terrible royalty free music) there's a few shot's I wouldn't have used personally (like one near the end that involves me getting kicked in the balls) what do you guys think? does thie promote the place pretty well?

I'd probably take out the shots where people getting hurt, like the ball-shot you mentioned, and the guy getting punched in the face. That kind of thing might deter new people.
Here's a promo video for my former Muay Thai gym that I think works really well. It convinced me to go there at least!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozhqlZcCAw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Am I the only one that hates doing burpees, sit-ups, and other calisthenics at my Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu classes?

I have an hour for training. I'm an adult that's not in High School wrestling anymore. I'd rather learn technique or spar. I suppose it's easier for an instructor to tell you to go off running and then do 50 burpees or some poo poo.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

The music is a bit weird. The bits with writing look terrible. It's not just the font choice, it's also the colour, the arrangement of it. You shouldn't show people getting hurt, and that first shot with people in the ring looks brutal. A person who already has some muay thai experience will look at this, see that you train aggressively and that there's plenty of good technique on display, and they might check your gym out. But first timers, girls, and anybody who's still shopping around for a martial art will probably be scared away. The video that jejeje just posted is a much better example. It shows normal looking girls getting a decent workout, it shows a few dudes with really good technique, it gives the viewer an idea of what a class will be like, and you can see the facilities are pretty nice.

You could keep in some footage of some hardcore ring fighting if you want, but put it at the end, and try to work out some way to show people that they could step up to competitive fighting if they want, but that it's also fine to avoid that. You have to remember who you're really advertising to. I'd love to get in a ring and get the poo poo kicked out of me, but a lot of people don't. You're looking for people who want to learn a cool martial art, you're looking for people who want to do something interesting for a workout, you're looking for girls who have an interest in self-defence (but they also don't want to feel threatened by the environment, and they want to see that there are other girls there too), and then lastly of all you're looking for people who are interested in seriously fighting. There's a lot more money in the first three categories, and they also help promote a friendly gym atmosphere. The serious fighters will already know what to look out for, they'll just be looking at the style of teaching and the quality of the technique, so you hardly need to concern yourself with advertising to them, they'll come to you. You want to show a combination of people having fun/smiling with people exercising hard, so they know it's going to be a sweet workout, but not a scary place.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Christoff posted:

Am I the only one that hates doing burpees, sit-ups, and other calisthenics at my Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu classes?

I have an hour for training. I'm an adult that's not in High School wrestling anymore. I'd rather learn technique or spar. I suppose it's easier for an instructor to tell you to go off running and then do 50 burpees or some poo poo.

No not really given that conditioning is an essential part of it?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Israfel posted:

No not really given that conditioning is an essential part of it?

Well the problem is that a lot of people will never ever do conditioning outside of class and instructors get frustrated as gently caress when they want everyone to do technique but all the normies are too busy sweating and grunting to do anything right.

That being said I agree with Christoff; in a perfect world instructors wouldn't need to throw in conditioning and everyone could work pure technique with a bare minimum of rest periods or heavy breathing. I do enough conditioning outside of class that it's sort of a pain in the rear end having to waste time on sets of burpees with obscene rest periods so that everyone feels properly exercised.

edit: And it sucks having the train everyday for 4-5hours and every different class has an arbitrary 10-20minutes of conditioning without even getting into sparring or rolling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I dunno I guess in an hour class I just hate wasting 20 minutes of it doing burpees like I was doing in High School (Where the classes were 2-3 hours)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Christoff posted:

I dunno I guess in an hour class I just hate wasting 20 minutes of it doing burpees like I was doing in High School (Where the classes were 2-3 hours)

I agree with you and Fontoyn. I've luckily never had to deal with this unless it's time for the gloves and then it's for the specific reason to get the fight team ready.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If they didn't warm the class up thoroughly there'd be a higher injury rate and they'd probably be more likely to get sued or something. I totally agree though, it would be cool to not waste paid class time with that poo poo when I can work out at home.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The music is a bit weird. The bits with writing look terrible. It's not just the font choice, it's also the colour, the arrangement of it. You shouldn't show people getting hurt, and that first shot with people in the ring looks brutal. A person who already has some muay thai experience will look at this, see that you train aggressively and that there's plenty of good technique on display, and they might check your gym out. But first timers, girls, and anybody who's still shopping around for a martial art will probably be scared away. The video that jejeje just posted is a much better example. It shows normal looking girls getting a decent workout, it shows a few dudes with really good technique, it gives the viewer an idea of what a class will be like, and you can see the facilities are pretty nice.

You could keep in some footage of some hardcore ring fighting if you want, but put it at the end, and try to work out some way to show people that they could step up to competitive fighting if they want, but that it's also fine to avoid that. You have to remember who you're really advertising to. I'd love to get in a ring and get the poo poo kicked out of me, but a lot of people don't. You're looking for people who want to learn a cool martial art, you're looking for people who want to do something interesting for a workout, you're looking for girls who have an interest in self-defence (but they also don't want to feel threatened by the environment, and they want to see that there are other girls there too), and then lastly of all you're looking for people who are interested in seriously fighting. There's a lot more money in the first three categories, and they also help promote a friendly gym atmosphere. The serious fighters will already know what to look out for, they'll just be looking at the style of teaching and the quality of the technique, so you hardly need to concern yourself with advertising to them, they'll come to you. You want to show a combination of people having fun/smiling with people exercising hard, so they know it's going to be a sweet workout, but not a scary place.

I definitely agree with this, I personally didnt have any involvement with the production (apart from training that day) of the video it was made by one of the owners Karate students he seems to produce promo video's as a sort of side-business to his main job, all of them seem to have the same style to them.
When they filmed it they seemed to have some quality equipment and some of the shots do look cool (the ring fights at the beginning were actually from a fight night) but the editing is flat out horrible.

As much as i love the place they are pretty old school about promotion (flyer drops etc) and seem terrible when it comes to new technology.... the website isn't great.

Cheers for checking it out guys!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A guy from my gym had his first fight this past Friday. I would have gone if I wasn't working. It's a small dinky gym. He's the one you don't want to spar with because of his long arms. He's fairly new to BJJ, just got his blue belt.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/weeklybeatings/Zeth-Martin-vs-David-Bollea-From-Tachi-Palace-Fights-14-4217

(he's the first guy to get introduced)

I have high hopes. His kicks are devastating. I'm surprised how tired the guy is into the first round. He has ridiculously lanky arms/legs. Apparently he has an interview with some fight groups or some poo poo after this bout.

-edit - I guess he lost a fight a while ago.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 11, 2012

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Kali11324 posted:

poo poo this is awesome. How did the knight take it. I'd could see him being pissed and confused.

Pretty well, dude's an old HEMA instructor I had 4 ago, confusion mixed with amusement when he found himself unable to move. That's what you get for sitting on your rear end and not training.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

What I take away from this is that you're sparring in an overcrowded gym with mirrors & there's a general tough guy attitude (which isn't that bad in itself, but doesn't fit well with overcrowded space & mirrors). People who watch this and want to train there are likely to be meatheads.

What I take away from this is a really friendly atmosphere, but probably not the ideal gym if you're an amateur fighter. The video will attract girls, the boxercise people & basically every goon who's ever asked for advice ITT.

Christoff posted:

Tabata style exercise at the end of the class is fine by me, it takes up 10 mins max and helps you in fights. Sure, you can do it in your free time, but hardly anyone does and if you're a guy that goes to several classes per day, the trainers typically let you skip that part at my gym. What I do hate is any kind of HIT poo poo before sparring, that's retarded.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Gaz2k21 posted:

I just wanted to point out that every single throw demonstrated in this video is illegal or doesn't score in trad muay thai.

Edit: those films are extremely frustrating to watch.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 11, 2012

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So does anyone have any advice about workouts I can do to improve my form/speed with sprint kicks? I'm definitely getting better at them over time but I'm not where I'd like to be, still have a hard time pushing more than 20 on each leg in 30 seconds.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Israfel posted:

So I'm a natural leftie and I fight southpaw and I've been looking around the net for tips on how to take advantage of it to its fullest extent. So far it seems southpaws are bad at jabbing vs. an orthodox but have great straights and rear kicks. Been watching vids of southpaw fighters like Yodsanklai Fairtex and their combos, any other southpaws itc with some tips?

Your power rear kick can go right to the liver. Enjoy it, cause it rules.

I like (well, not really, but it's useful) doing conditioning before a class because I work and get pushed way harder with a coach than any poo poo I would do on my own, but I was also never an athlete when I was a kid so I don't have the discipline that some serious people do.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 11, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guilty posted:

I just wanted to point out that every single throw demonstrated in this video is illegal or doesn't score in trad muay thai.

Is there a page that quickly explains legal MT throws? I might have even asked you before IIRC, it's all above the waist, with no leg reaps allow as part of a throw.
When our sanshou fighters train for MT matches, the coach has to review which of their throws won't be allowed.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

Id like to beat up that big fat guy in the green shirt

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Is there a page that quickly explains legal MT throws? I might have even asked you before IIRC, it's all above the waist, with no leg reaps allow as part of a throw.
When our sanshou fighters train for MT matches, the coach has to review which of their throws won't be allowed.

What I've heard from my coaches is that it's no trips, but kicking someone's leg as you shove them off balance is kind of in a grey area depending on the ref. Sometimes a kick to the leg while you shove them looks like a trip, while other sometimes people trip you and pretend it was just a kick.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A sport that allows throws and leg kicks but not sweeps makes me cross eyed.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

manyak posted:

Id like to beat up that big fat guy in the green shirt

Hahahaha I don't know what it is about him that you've taken a dislike to from the video but hes dropped a shitload of weight since that was made and is a very pleasant chap (and talented fighter) his primary reason for training is to not be "that big fat guy" and hes done incredibly well

Guilty posted:

I am aware of this, they may be illegal in traditional Muay Thai but there fun as hell to drill the youngster's love it.

Paul Pot posted:

What I take away from this is that you're sparring in an overcrowded gym with mirrors & there's a general tough guy attitude (which isn't that bad in itself, but doesn't fit well with overcrowded space & mirrors). People who watch this and want to train there are likely to be meatheads.

There's never that many people in a class everyone got called in to attend on the filming day I'd say a general class is about 40%-50% of the people you see in the video, and I wouldn't say there are meatheads (there's another local school that people with a meathead mentality can train) but I absolutely see what you mean, Like i said in my first post I wasn't sure about the video it's quite interesting hearing people's opinion of it, I've got to admit if I didn't already train there and saw that video it wouldn't appeal to me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Yeah, at the place I train now we stretch as a class, do shadow sparring, then light hand and feet sparring. Then we get into technique. Haven't had an injury since.

Also since staph is getting mentioned a lot I posted this in this thread about a year ago. It's my experience with the infection. If you think it's not a big deal, or not something to be vigilant with you're going to be in for some discomfort down the road.

BlindSite posted:

Crossposting from the punchsport Grappling thread:

Just wanted to make a post about reminding anyone who runs a school or who trains to make sure their club practices proper hygine. I'm just getting over a Staph infection that I undoubtedly picked up from training. I'm an extremely cautious dude, I wear a rashguard, long sleeve and shorts (no gi) under my t shirt and shorts and I shower once at the gym and again when I get home.

There's plenty of websites that have guides to what to look for but if you notice something that looks like a pimple but gets much more painful, warm to the touch and bigger within 24-48 hours after a training session get your rear end to a doctors as soon as you can. I went from something roughly the size of pen nib to a hole that they packed gauze the size of a coaster into in that time.

I got hosed around a little bit due to a doctor insisting it was just an infected hair follicle, given the wrong anti-biotics and told I just had cellulitis. At this point in time I had a fever and couldn't walk at all on my left leg.

I ended up having two shots of penicillan in my rear end, a course of Keflex and other treatments to cure the cellulitis before pathology results (I insisted they get) told them what I'd been afraid of.

By that time I had to have an ultra-sound on my knee to check if it had spread since the initial infection was just under my knee on my calf.

I've just had my first day back at work, my energy levels still haven't returned to normal, I haven't been able to have a beer for 2.5 weeks and I've spent all but the last three days unable to sit up, walk or do anything without discomfort.

I got told by my docs I was lucky the infection wasn't far worse after the first doctors missed it as staph and pathology took over three days to tell me what it was. According to them it was only because I've got a high level of fitness and really solid dietary intake my immune system was pretty resistent.

Not a lot of fun and to be honest it's pretty loving terrifying to go from walking with some slight muscle pain to being in agony in the space of about 3 hours.

The treatment isn't a lot of fun either. To speed up the process they have to remove as much of the core of the infection as possible, this is done by lancing and then squeezing the pus out by hand without anesthetic. They then stuff it with gauze, stick a dressing on it and tell you to come back the next day for more fun.

The after effects are pretty hosed too, I've had to wash everything in my house with hot water and anti-bacterial washes, have to be careful wearing gloves when changing dressings, cleaning my hands before and after with special soaps etc so I don't infect my eyes, sinus and other body parts. Truly loving lame. All because the gym I go to got lazy with their cleaning practices.

When my wound finally heals (staph now clear) it'll probably be 3-4 weeks since I've been able to train, almost $500.00 in medical expenses and just under 2 weeks of missed work.

tl:dr be proactive and don't gently caress around.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gaz2k21 posted:

There's never that many people in a class everyone got called in to attend on the filming day I'd say a general class is about 40%-50% of the people you see in the video, and I wouldn't say there are meatheads (there's another local school that people with a meathead mentality can train) but I absolutely see what you mean, Like i said in my first post I wasn't sure about the video it's quite interesting hearing people's opinion of it, I've got to admit if I didn't already train there and saw that video it wouldn't appeal to me.

I assumed something along those lines, but I took it that you were interested in the perspective of a person who strictly watched the video on youtube.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

BlindSite posted:

Staph Infections

tl:dr be proactive and don't gently caress around.

Thanks for this post! It's always good to have reminders like this. I had a talk on hygiene at my club a few months ago, and it did not only did it lead to something as basic as cleaner equipment all around. I think it's also something that bears repeating every so often, because a surprising amount of otherwise reasonable people who do martial arts and fight sports have a very limited understanding of how gross they can be.

Also, I may have said this before, but drat it feels good to see a move you taught someone be applied. I had a class with a mounted triangle and spiral armbar, and a dude in the class has just made it his own since, and he keeps hitting it on people, it's great.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
One thing that story reminded me of :

I had a pus blister thing on my knee and went to the Dr fearing staph. He said it was an ingrown hair too but I insisted they test it and explained that I'm a higher risk than average due to my hobby and I need to know ASAP so I can warn the gym.

He agreed and sent it off, it was nothing but the point is that you should tell your doctor about the circumstances because it's a higher risk and reaches more people.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since I've never known anyone whose gotten a staph infection, I had to GIS it. Wow! Looks pretty lovely.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

entris posted:

Since I've never known anyone whose gotten a staph infection, I had to GIS it. Wow! Looks pretty lovely.

It really and truly is. The staph gave me a fever but motrin handles that. Antibiotics, on the other hand, don't give you any way to beat the nausea

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Skin infections are lovely, but at the same time no need to get crazy paranoid or germaophobic about them either. Just shower ASAP after training, like, right when you step in the door at home (even better, shower if you can at your gym). If you do get it, while there are some crazy strains of it like above, it can also come in a milder form of impetigo or whatever, where its just a week off on antibiotics.

So just basic poo poo guys, don't walk around barefeet off the mat. Wash your loving stuff after every session. Wash your hands after using the bathroom in class, and shower ASAP. Bacterial cultures doubles within 30min on your skin at body temperature. Regular soap, you dont need antibacterial stuff. Also, don't shower RIGHT before class either, because as I understand it gets rid of good bacteria which can help stave away infections.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
As for a rarer type of infection and/or damage, you can ask me about what the gently caress to do if you seem to get yours eyes hosed up too often - and I don't mean blacked and swollen shut which is "normal". Eyes are very resilient, I have learned, but if you get problems with them often (pinkeye, pain, sand inside the eye -feeling) feel free to ask...

Though most people here and not just me would probably just say "use eye-drops?" which is the correct advice.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swagger like us posted:

Clean your poo poo.

I wouldn't say that it removes the 'good' bacteria. (A hygiene specialist could tell me if I'm wrong here.)

Rather most people tend to take hot showers, which open up your pores and increases your chances of getting germs/contamination through your pores into your body. Also some people scrub too thoroughly which can cause micro abrasions, again causing a path for stuff to infect.

TLDR, use some common sense about your cleaning habits.

Like washing your hands right before class, after work, after using the bathroom, before eating food. This would seem obvious, but you would be sadly surprised by the number of people that don't. At least in the United States.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Xguard86 posted:

A sport that allows throws and leg kicks but not sweeps makes me cross eyed.

I can kind of understand it. My neck got hosed up pretty bad taking a fall from a leg sweep.

We can all look back on "sweep the leg" from Karate kid and laugh, but my neck isn't laughing :(

Then again sweeps are loving awesome too.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I am fortune to never have gotten more than ringworm.
On another note I'm going to be sparring tonight foe the first time in years. The school I am currently at does not spar often and it seems like every time they do it happens to a class I miss.
One of the other guys volunteered to get to class early so we can train together. We agreed to go super, super light. He said basically it will like a game of tag, so let's see how it goes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kali11324 posted:

The school I am currently at does not spar often and it seems like every time they do it happens to be a class I miss.
What art/style is the school?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Can anyone give me ideas on what to do once in a "scissor guard". It's my go to guard when I start to feel pressured and while I'm good at doing the scissor sweep (both the normal one and the "reverse scissor" one if that's what it's called), people are starting to catch up and are good at defending against it by now. They rarely pass me, but I always have to go back to regular open guard to start pushing pressure on people again. That's fine I guess, but I'd like to add a couple of new tricks to my scissor guard since I feel so drat comfortable in it.

this whole thing seems interesting, anyone better than me at BJJ thinks it could work? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8oOBaqhK0

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 13, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KingColliwog posted:

Can anyone give me ideas on what to do once in a "scissor guard". It's my go to guard when I start to feel pressured and while I'm good at doing the scissor sweep (both the normal one and the "reverse scissor" one if that's what it's called), people are starting to catch up and are good at defending against it by now. They rarely pass me, but I always have to go back to regular open guard to start pushing pressure on people again. That's fine I guess, but I'd like to add a couple of new tricks to my scissor guard since I feel so drat comfortable in it.

Have you tried standing up from scissor guard? Usually if I can get pressure on their head fast enough I can push into them in order to get to my feet. I don't know if that's your game, but transitioning from there to sprawl control is just kicking your other leg back and I like being there.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fontoyn posted:

Have you tried standing up from scissor guard? Usually if I can get pressure on their head fast enough I can push into them in order to get to my feet. I don't know if that's your game, but transitioning from there to sprawl control is just kicking your other leg back and I like being there.

Forgot to mention this is judo so standing up is not super practical since I'll get called for a mate and resume the fight standing. I'm still quite a bit better at ground work than the vast majority of the people at my level so I really try to focus my ground game on what will help me get a win in competition.

I might start trying that in BJJ though, I really never do any standing stuff but I should because it's annoying as hell when people do it to me.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Well, being realistic, you're rarely ever gonna get to play guard for an extended period of time in a judo competition anyway so there's not much point to worrying about what to do if your first two guard sweep attempts fail. If you want to win tournaments you practice turtling and disengaging on the ground and trust in your standup to carry you through. That said, follow your scissor sweep with a kimura to their posting arm.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CivilDisobedience posted:

Well, being realistic, you're rarely ever gonna get to play guard for an extended period of time in a judo competition anyway so there's not much point to worrying about what to do if your first two guard sweep attempts fail. If you want to win tournaments you practice turtling and disengaging on the ground and trust in your standup to carry you through. That said, follow your scissor sweep with a kimura to their posting arm.

I know this is usually what people suggest, but I found I had time to do more ground work than most people would imagine if it showed that I was working it hard. I've been able to do sweeps, arm bars and chokes without too much trouble. Getting people in my guard was the hardest part honestly. It probably wouldn't work at a high level, but I'll never be there so I don't mind + we do a lot of ground randori at my club and if I can do the techniques there it'll be enjoyable. I'm 27 years old and I only plan to do competition for the next three years or so to get enough points for my black belt and then I'll stay in the dojo.

That said, I'm up for anything that could potentially work in a judo match. As long as it's within the rules/won't get a mate called I don't mind the move being considered too slow to pull off in a competition.

• Locked thread