Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm going to be putting on some ebay headers on the 99 RS this week. I've been spraying the manifold bolts with 50/50 acetone/atf.

Should I try to get them off with an impact gun, cheater pipe, something else? I'm just assuming they will be stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A few months ago. I looked at a pair of very nice ones on Saturday morning.

Odd, their official release wasn't supposed to be until this fall.

Autotrader doesn't have any listings for them in the entire country either.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

They really ought to bring the diesel version to the US, it would give it something to differentiate it from the Forester and Impreza.

"C&D posted:

Subaru also let us sample the diesel XV it will offer in Europe. Like the gas engine, the oil burner is a 2.0-liter flat-four, but this one gets a turbocharger. The compression-ignition version only gives up three ponies, but torque soars to 258 lb-ft at 1600 rpm. It’s a sweetheart. Plus, it delivers fuel economy that is roughly 25 percent better than the gas 2.0’s. If that sounds like something you’d be interested in, tell your dealer. Apparently, he has Subaru’s ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9hJlZdPTac

It makes a good noise too. Long live the Outback sport!

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 11, 2012

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

jamal posted:

Any updates? If there's no CEL I want to think it's more of an ecu/tune related issue. One thing that does come to mind is a cracked oil pickup not providing the avcs with enough oil pressure. You wouldn't happen to have an oil pressure gauge would you? I'm starting to think that should be mandatory for anyone with a newer turbo subaru.

I really hope it doesn't end up being a cracked pickup, though I guess catching it before the motor is toast would be positive. An oil pressure/temp gauge is one of the items up on my list when I have more car money - been trying to find something that's just an LCD output so I can run it continuously and not have 4 gauges out (including A/F and EGT) all the time, but nobody seems to make something like that for some reason. Except full dash replacements of course, which I don't really need.

I haven't started it since Saturday, taking care of some work and driving the fiancee's car, but I have some time to take a real look at it tomorrow.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I am in the process of fixing up my GL. Whoever warned me the thing is a goddamned money pit was spot on but I can't chose what I love!

Short version: I heard some Australian company called King makes springs that fit the GL. I have tried googling this info up and am having poor luck- anyone familiar with this outfit?

The online catolog shows they make G series Leone wagon springs? Is that some sort of Australian Psuedo-English for "GL"?

God I suck at Subarus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sudo Echo posted:

They really ought to bring the diesel version to the US, it would give it something to differentiate it from the Forester and Impreza.

I would tend to agree. I think the extra torque of the diesel would make it appeal to a broader audience. I have a friend that's looking to replace his Tiburon. He wants something somewhat sporty, but at the same time he wants something that can negotiate the several miles of rutted dirt roads up to his family cabin (which the Tiburon currently can't do so well.) He keeps bouncing more and more towards a Jeep since he really doesn't want a softroader SUV.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If any MD goons are interested I have 2-3 factory oil filters and at least a gallon of subaru 5w-30 synthetic that I no longer need (sold 2011 WRX). Anyone willing to collect in Bethesda or BWI can have it.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Well, it is finally here:

FP HTA Green (with dollar bill for scale). Installation is at the end of the month. I'm excited :dance:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
This is what happens when the highway department only places tiny 'slow' signs immediately next to a car-eating washout. Completely blew the sidewall out, and bubbled the back right. Time for winters I guess.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Roman Rambo posted:

Well, it is finally here:

FP HTA Green (with dollar bill for scale). Installation is at the end of the month. I'm excited :dance:

Well look at you mr show off look at me throwing benjamin's around. :colbert:

We're decent folk around these parts.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Apologies for the double post but I cannot remember if these have been previously discussed in here.

BEHOLD VW's can't fake fast ad campaign:

Just look at that obviously slow ricer with it's stupid wing and fake hood scoop. Those tail lights look familiar though...

Oh right that's an STI. That's not fake fast at all, it would destroy that GLI in limp home mode. Ugh.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jamal I'm throwing struts at my legacy (3rd gen). While I'm in there, you should try and sell me an ALK and other fun suspension bits because I'm going to need an alignment anyways.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just bought an 07 STi 6-speed tranny to do a swap. I am not very intelligent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kylej posted:

Just bought an 07 STi 6-speed tranny to do a swap. I am not very intelligent.

I'm stuggling to see why, apart from the dollar outlay, this gives a negative assessment of your intelligence....?

(Best performance mod any Subaru owner can do)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm stuggling to see why, apart from the dollar outlay, this gives a negative assessment of your intelligence....?

(Best performance mod any Subaru owner can do)

Because I have now swapped a vf39 and all its accoutrements (sti intercooler, etc), entirely new brake system, and a whole bunch of other stuff that the STi got stock into my WRX.

I should've just bought an STi to start with lol

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Amandyke posted:

Apologies for the double post but I cannot remember if these have been previously discussed in here.

BEHOLD VW's can't fake fast ad campaign:

Just look at that obviously slow ricer with it's stupid wing and fake hood scoop. Those tail lights look familiar though...

Oh right that's an STI. That's not fake fast at all, it would destroy that GLI in limp home mode. Ugh.

Here is one I posted that was in pop mechanics.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=317&perpage=40#post405893492

I cant get over the irony of these guys calling the WRX hood scoop "faux" and still installing a loving soundaktor in their GTI.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Slow is Fast posted:

Jamal I'm throwing struts at my legacy (3rd gen). While I'm in there, you should try and sell me an ALK and other fun suspension bits because I'm going to need an alignment anyways.

Can't go wrong with an ALK. What else were you thinking about?

In other news I started washing my car today and tried out that mother's back to black stuff on the side skirts. Works pretty good:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
drat, now I'm tempted to try it on my window trim. We used a heat gun set on "low" on plastic like that before and it turned out pretty well, though I bet it makes the plastic brittle over time.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Amandyke posted:

Well look at you mr show off look at me throwing benjamin's around. :colbert:

We're decent folk around these parts.

I apologize for my crimes. My other bills were too crumply! I'll post the dyno sheet and complain about my exploded engine in a few weeks.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Bought the 08 Legacy SE with 79K on it. Interior looks almost new, exterior very good. As posted before seller claimed lots of highway college commuting miles which I believe. Not sure how much maintenance other than oil has been done though so I'll probably do all the fluids soon.

The car drives really well. I was in a new camry yesterday and the much older Legacy looked so much better. The only complaint I have so far, and this is coming from an old LS400, the door pulls and shift knob could be a little more stout but that's really trivial. Engine and transmission both very smooth. Think I found a keeper and a terrific bargain in the price range.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The 4th Gen Legacy is a keeper. Looks great, drives great, reliable. There's nothing else out there that offers the same combination of attributes, to my tastes, anyways.

The 5th gen is an abomination, don't even get me started.

The 1st gen LS400 was Toyota's hail mary into the lux segment so is possibly the most over-engineered car of it's time. If your only complaints are door pulls and shifts knobs, I think you did quite well!

PS do all the fluids for peace of mind and at 76k, I'd do the spark plugs if it hasn't been done yet.

Sten Freak posted:

Bought the 08 Legacy SE with 79K on it. Interior looks almost new, exterior very good. As posted before seller claimed lots of highway college commuting miles which I believe. Not sure how much maintenance other than oil has been done though so I'll probably do all the fluids soon.

The car drives really well. I was in a new camry yesterday and the much older Legacy looked so much better. The only complaint I have so far, and this is coming from an old LS400, the door pulls and shift knob could be a little more stout but that's really trivial. Engine and transmission both very smooth. Think I found a keeper and a terrific bargain in the price range.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 13, 2012

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Speaking of spark pugs, are they pretty easy to do on an NA 2.5? The OBS needs a couple things...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Speaking of spark pugs, are they pretty easy to do on an NA 2.5? The OBS needs a couple things...

You have to take out some stuff (like the winshield wash bottle) to get at some of them. I've seen worse though.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

jamal posted:

Any updates? If there's no CEL I want to think it's more of an ecu/tune related issue. One thing that does come to mind is a cracked oil pickup not providing the avcs with enough oil pressure. You wouldn't happen to have an oil pressure gauge would you? I'm starting to think that should be mandatory for anyone with a newer turbo subaru.

Updates:

Not an oil pressure issue as far as I can tell - the car survived the 5 mile limp to the dealer. I couldn't find any loose connections. Things were dirty at the AVCS connections, but cleaning out the wiring and sockets made no difference. Might be the AVCS solenoid failed on one side (and is getting copied like CT said can happen)?

Reset/reflash of the ECU made no difference. Still no error code getting thrown. No codes at all, and the engine is definitely unhappy with AVCS nonfunctional.

I tried to get a video on my way of the weird noise the car is making - it DOES correspond to an increment of knock on every cylinder, every time it happens, which makes me think it's hopefully not real knock and is some component banging around. Preliminary suggestion from the non-STI mechanic at the dealer is that something in the clutch assembly might be broken - there is a persistent tinging noise that is not knock coming from the area where the trans bellhousing meets with the flywheel, so the whooosh-TING noise (which is loud as hell) could be that. The sound still happens even when the car is in neutral - the only time the sound does not happen if I am decelerating to a stop or coasting in gear.

Why both these things would happen at once is what confuses me though.

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 13, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Can't go wrong with an ALK. What else were you thinking about?

What ever you think I should put in. Right now I'm going to do struts and strut mounts all around because they're worn. ALK because I need to mess with alignment anyways. Other then that, I've got some vibrations I need to kill, so I'm thinking axles all around. Then if I still have issues with vibrations, I'll look into rear arms and bushings.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Do you already have the top mounts? The whiteline offset tops are pretty nice- a little more camber, a little more caster, and group n stiffness. I should have your e-mail around somewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BobTheFerret posted:

Updates:

Not an oil pressure issue as far as I can tell - the car survived the 5 mile limp to the dealer. I couldn't find any loose connections. Things were dirty at the AVCS connections, but cleaning out the wiring and sockets made no difference. Might be the AVCS solenoid failed on one side (and is getting copied like CT said can happen)?

Reset/reflash of the ECU made no difference. Still no error code getting thrown. No codes at all, and the engine is definitely unhappy with AVCS nonfunctional.

It's not a surprise there's no fault code - my car didnt throw a code until the ECU was so hopelessly lost in WTF is going on that it just shut down and gave up. I think the code I eventually got was P0106 - check back in this thread about April 2011 for when I hit this issue. It was very deeply frustrating for several months.

Looking back at it, you seem to be replicating another few people who had exactly the same issue, same lack of codes until the ECU gives up etc that I think what you should do is get a second hand stock ECU and try it. From what I recall that fixed the issue for most people with this one.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
What are alternatives to spending a grand on blizzak lm-60 tires for my STi for the winter? I thought about used wheels/tires but no tpms and accruing extra miles (oh noes) offsets the savings of buying some old BBS with snows on them.

I don't want a crap tire, but I don't want to spend 1000 bucks on lame winter tires either.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

smooth jazz posted:

Can you elaborate? I prefer the 4th gen styling, but were there mechanical defects in the new design?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If you don't beat the gently caress out of your winter tires, you should get a couple seasons out of them.

Assuming you get three years, it's only $330 a year to have substantially better rubber under your rear end.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

smooth jazz posted:

The 4th Gen Legacy is a keeper. Looks great, drives great, reliable. There's nothing else out there that offers the same combination of attributes, to my tastes, anyways.

The 1st gen LS400 was Toyota's hail mary into the lux segment so is possibly the most over-engineered car of it's time. If your only complaints are door pulls and shifts knobs, I think you did quite well!

PS do all the fluids for peace of mind and at 76k, I'd do the spark plugs if it hasn't been done yet.
Thanks for that info. Cleaned the interior yesterday and of course it's no 93 LS400 inside, don't get me wrong, but it still looks and feels pretty nice. The things you touch are where car designers should really put emphasis on I think - door pulls, arm rests, shifter, steering wheel (though the latter does feel nice on the Legacy). That's the lesson I'm taking away.

I'd say the most pleasant surprise is the smoothness of the engine and AT. Again, it's no Lexus V8 of course, but it's surprisingly smooth. The car feels lighter than it is. Overall I'm really happy and cannot wait to put some love into it. I have a suspicion like I said that the PO was an oil/filter and gas = maintenance gal.

OK so what's the deal with the tiny, metal center caps and availability? I'm guessing these are original 08 17" wheels. One is missing the cap and the other is dented. Some quick searches last night makes me think these are hard to find. Are they dealership items?

Snow tires: I used Altimax Artics on the LS and they worked great and were like $80 each 17" from tirerack as I recall. 3 seasons and they still have tons of tread but I don't drive that much.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

What are alternatives to spending a grand on blizzak lm-60 tires for my STi for the winter? I thought about used wheels/tires but no tpms and accruing extra miles (oh noes) offsets the savings of buying some old BBS with snows on them.

I don't want a crap tire, but I don't want to spend 1000 bucks on lame winter tires either.

I had the altimax winters as well, and they work great.
I don't like the studless blizzaks for around here because it gets too warm in the winter, and the super soft compound wears off in 3 months. The cheapo winters work better on the west coast as you can get 3 winters out of them instead of 1.

dokuja
Jun 2, 2004

PadreScout posted:

I am in the process of fixing up my GL. Whoever warned me the thing is a goddamned money pit was spot on but I can't chose what I love!

Short version: I heard some Australian company called King makes springs that fit the GL. I have tried googling this info up and am having poor luck- anyone familiar with this outfit?

The online catolog shows they make G series Leone wagon springs? Is that some sort of Australian Psuedo-English for "GL"?

God I suck at Subarus.

Primitive Racing stocks King Springs. Give them a call and see if they can get what you're looking for.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I had this same dilemma with my WRX last year. I ended up ponying up the cash for some Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's and am very glad I did. Great snow traction, great dry traction, and they wear like iron. Not cheap but I should be able to get many winters out of them at 4000-5000 miles/year, which makes the cost a lot more bearable.

I look at it this way: My tires are the only thing holding me to the road. Do I really want to cheap out on them?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sudo Echo posted:

A diesel forester would probably tow like a champ, too. I believe they're rated at 4,400 pounds for the diesel version available in europe, versus 2,400 for the standard.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
New word is, my VF48 is toasted. Bearing is dead - I caught it fast enough that the turbine is still doing fine, and no pieces have broken off (though it is seizing and rattling around a bit - apparently the whoosh-ting sound is the seizing noise). Bad news is that when they changed the oil while it was there, there appeared to be some appearance of deposits. Doing an oil assay as soon as I can, but in the mean time, it's time for a new turbo.

I'm shocked that I have any deposits at all - I have records backing up my oil change cycle at every 2500-3000 miles max, subaru synthetic. The dealer's STI guy said they may try to deny my warranty for any top end issues based on "poor maintenance," though I have no idea if they can blame me for the sudden appearance of sludging when I've got a much better record than the subaru-recommended oil change cycle. Again, if there's any recommendation on how to clean out the oil pathways without having to pull things apart, I'm eager to try it that way first.

Since there are deposits, and the turbo is dead, AND AVCS is non-functional, this leads me to believe one or both of the AVCS solenoids might be clogged. What are the chances of the top end being oil starved if this is the case? Or should I be safe to drive the vehicle (after I swap out the dead turbo) until I get the AVCS fixed and just deal with some poor performance?

Now that I know the problems, I can focus on the fun part of having to dip into the replacement part emergency fund: I am stuck making the difficult decision of whether to pick a blouch 1.5 XTR or a 20g XTR as my next turbo (though I'm open to suggestions). Qualifications would be this: the turbo has to make 400 whp (on E85) without blowing hot air, and preferably hit boost before 3500 rpm. I think these two choices may fit the bill, and should be okay with the very conservative tuning I plan to use until I need a new bottom end...

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 13, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I would look at the oil pickup.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

jamal posted:

I would look at the oil pickup.

Why would it be that? I'll take a look though.
Edit: unless you mean the banjo bolt screen. Which I just looked up, and appears to STILL be present on models all the way up to 2010. Jesus, I can't believe they didn't remove that thing - probably what killed my turbo. Probably what is preventing AVCS from working.

Edit2: And apparently they wash their hands of any responsibility for banjo bolt clogs at the AVCS or turbo, and write it off to improper maintenance or "abuse" in all situations - the TSB on these failures specifically instructs them NOT to honor the warranty if damage is caused by the screens.

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 13, 2012

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've got an 03 Forester X (with the 5 speed), and it's started making a strange noise I can't seem to track down.

At some point within about 30 seconds of cold-starting the engine, something in the front half of vehicle makes a kind of rasping hiss sound that lasts about half a second or so.

The noise most commonly happens when the vehicle is moving (usually in 1st or 2nd gear), but I've had it happen when sitting at idle as well. I don't think it's something in the clutch, since the noise has happened with the clutch engaged, disengaged, and anywhere in between, and it doesn't seem to be tied to engine RPM either.

When the noise happens, there is a brief vibration that can be felt if I have my hand on the shifter, and a very slight vibration that comes through the pedals as well. The sound and vibration don't act like a gear in the transmission is grinding, and since it doesn't seem to be tied to clutch engagement, I'm guessing it's not a syncro going out either.

I've got about 78k miles on the original engine, transmission and clutch (with all of the scheduled maintenance being done on time), and all of the fluids are at the correct levels and look normal, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what's happening here.

Anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BobTheFerret posted:

Why would it be that? I'll take a look though.
Edit: unless you mean the banjo bolt screen. Which I just looked up, and appears to STILL be present on models all the way up to 2010. Jesus, I can't believe they didn't remove that thing - probably what killed my turbo. Probably what is preventing AVCS from working.

Edit2: And apparently they wash their hands of any responsibility for banjo bolt clogs at the AVCS or turbo, and write it off to improper maintenance or "abuse" in all situations - the TSB on these failures specifically instructs them NOT to honor the warranty if damage is caused by the screens.

Well first pull that screen right off the line to the turbo/passenger side avcs and take a look, but given that the turbo is shot and avcs isn't working I feel like there could be a greater problem with lubrication. They don't always just break clean off and cause catastrophic bearing failure, it could just have a hairline crack that is pulling in air and limiting peak oil pressure. The turbo and avcs are the last things to get oil. It goes main bearings-> rod bearings-> cams-> then the turbo/avcs.

Regardless, if it is somehow due to the banjo screen and you have been buying the oil at the dealership I would be talking to corporate and lawyers if they're not going to fix it.