Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

PaybackJack posted:

Clash of Cultures is a Civilization building game that's designed by the same guy who did Merchants and Marauders, which is the best pirate game ever(think Sid Meier's Pirates! the board game). It's published by Z-Man games and has some really nice components.

Player Board/Tech Tree

Back of the box which shows off the nice pieces and the setup.

THAT LOOKS COOL as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2013

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah. I bought over the past month and a half:

Mage Knight
Space Alert
Resistance
Dixit
Nexus Ops
Twilight Struggle
Netrunner
X-Wing (still pre-ordered)

Ive played them all :smugdog: (Except x-wing)

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Well, that's much more reasonable. Shame, though, I thought I was sitting on something special.

So, what are the thoughts on Quarriors? I happen to dig the game, but it's over too soon. If you go over 20 points, though, you have way too many dice to work with. By that, I mean too many creatures, and not enough quid dice to summon them.

I ask because the newest xpac is coming out soon.

Also, I'm looking for an easy card game for two to four peeps over 30 - 40 minutes. Easy setup and take down is a must.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
To buy:
Andean Abyss
Claustrophobia: De Profundis
Space Alert: The New Frontier
Various Summoner Wars factions

Have a huge maybe list :(

Kickstarted (both finished and unfinished):
Tammany Hall
Ground Floor
Viticulture
Damage Report
Dreadball

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Campbell posted:

Merchants and Marauders does have some cons though, mostly that it's a 4-6 hour play from what I've read.

You can definitely get it down in time if everyone knows how to play and plays quickly. We did a 3er game a month ago and it was over in an hour and 40 minutes because we all knew what we were doing and played quickly.

It's a easy game to get dragged down in when people are playing casually and having to look at the board everytime it's their turn to see what's going on. If you're group is focused it can easily be under 3 hours with 4 players.

If you haven't played it, definitely check it out. Don't try to introduce it to players with AP, or Chatterboxes.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Nitis posted:

Also, I'm looking for an easy card game for two to four peeps over 30 - 40 minutes.

Domin... :eng101:

Nitis posted:

Easy setup and take down is a must.

ion. :eng99:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ant Species the card game.:eng101:

Dominant Species The Card Game was quite good. I find the board game a bit to fiddly and long. Hard to say how well it would scale though, you might see a bit too much of the luck of the draw with just two people.

Other Suggestions:

Race for the Galaxy
Eminent Domain
Core Worlds
For Sale

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2012

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nitis posted:

Also, I'm looking for an easy card game for two to four peeps over 30 - 40 minutes. Easy setup and take down is a must.

How about Gloom?

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Nitis posted:

Guillotine isn't too difficult of a setup, but it might take up a bit of room. Bohnanza is good but might take more than 40 mins if you have slow players. I know it's and old game, but I really like Mille Borne for a medium-length card game. Some more I like are Set, Rook, Wheedle, Triversity, and Scrabble Slam. Also Uno would fit under that category I think.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nitis posted:

I haven't got to play my copy yet, but the SD&SH review of Mundus Novus makes it sound like what you're looking for.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought but not played yet:
Ares Project
Chaos in the Old World
Dungeon Lords
Dust Tactics/Warfare
Mermaid Rain
Power Grid: Factory Manager
War of the Ring

Preordered:
Glory to Rome: Black
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Revised

Kickstarted but not here yet:
The Resistance: Avalon
Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
FInally got to play my copy of Agricola a few times that's been sitting for a month. (We were preoccupied with La Havre)

I really like the mechanics. A lot. But the game feels way too short. We all agreed that just when you felt like you got something going, and your farm was going to get kickass, the game suddenly ends.

On the plus, the game ends in about an hour. Unlike La Havre where we're still going 3 hours later.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Philthy posted:

FInally got to play my copy of Agricola a few times that's been sitting for a month. (We were preoccupied with La Havre)

I really like the mechanics. A lot. But the game feels way too short. We all agreed that just when you felt like you got something going, and your farm was going to get kickass, the game suddenly ends.

On the plus, the game ends in about an hour. Unlike La Havre where we're still going 3 hours later.
My gaming group is going to get a kick out of this. How many people did you play with?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Philthy posted:

Can I have your gaming group?

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
If you want a pirate game, Libertalia was just released and its HELLA fun and no all day slog.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Clanpot Shake posted:

My gaming group is going to get a kick out of this. How many people did you play with?

Seriously, what? Maybe you somehow trapped yourself in a chrono-temporal patch of space or something on accident? I mean a 2 person game with people who know how to play can definitely finish in an hour, but new people (especially more than 2)? God drat.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the reason why I like Agricola over Ora is because building an engine is fun, running that engine, less so. Agricola ends before it gets boring, the only time I played Ora everyone built their engine and then there was still one hour in which not much of anything was really done except people running their engine.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

djfooboo posted:

Bought but not played yet:
Ares Project

Let me know how this one plays, I've been wanting it for a while now.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sorry, it was just two people both times. I guess I'll have to see how long it goes when we get more together. We just breezed through it. Slap your piece down, grab your sheep, next person slaps their piece down, grabs a pile of wood, repeat, flip a card, slap your piece down, build a fence, etc.

I guess after playing La Harve, it just seems more streamlined for turns. Move your boat, distribute the goods, look over all the cards everyone owns two times, look at your pile of goods, look over everyones cards again, do an action, figure out how to pay energy, ten minutes later your turn is done.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

People with analysis paralysis kill any desire for me to play Agricola. I was at a friend's house, and we had to split up into two groups, one group of three, two of which are major APers, playing Agricola while the rest of us played London (boring game, but I digress). The card draft portion took them like 30 minutes. Playing Ora et Labora with them was similarly a slog, and I was actually in that game.

It makes victories against them so hollow because you lose no matter what :smith:

Basically the moral of the story is to play games with people who can think outside their turn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We got a guy in our group with AP, forget-the-rules-ites AND constant what-should-I-do-now syndrome? He wins most games because people just outright tell him what to do (in a bid to get the game moving), telling him the best move to counter their strategy. I avoid him like the plague.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Philthy posted:

Sorry, it was just two people both times. I guess I'll have to see how long it goes when we get more together. We just breezed through it. Slap your piece down, grab your sheep, next person slaps their piece down, grabs a pile of wood, repeat, flip a card, slap your piece down, build a fence, etc.

I guess after playing La Harve, it just seems more streamlined for turns. Move your boat, distribute the goods, look over all the cards everyone owns two times, look at your pile of goods, look over everyones cards again, do an action, figure out how to pay energy, ten minutes later your turn is done.

This, by the way, is why I disliked Ora the only time I played. Every single turn, I had to try to figure out if any buildings were worth using, and I'd imagine the same would be true (if not truer) in Le Havre. Agricola, many fewer choices but it doesn't seem less complex, particularly.

Also, Tek, that sounds awful.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

San Juan is a fine little card game that plays 4 and is pretty quick.

Plus you can transition to RFTG if you ever get bored of it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just realized Gordian Blades strength bonus is for the entire run. Argh.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm going to be playing my first game of Netrunner tonight -- neither of us has ever played the game before. We'll be using the Shaper vs. Jinteki starter decks like the manual suggests.

We've both read the rules and they seem pretty straightforward, so I wanted to ask a couple general questions about the game.

Are there any rules that aren't obvious from the rulebook and/or are easily messed up or played wrong? Is there anything that might lead to a rules dispute early on that we should be aware of?

Would someone mind laying out some really basic strategies for the first few turns for each side? I'd imagine the corp spending all three actions on the first turn to draw a card is a terrible idea, but just from reading the rules it doesn't quite seem clear what I should be doing. I know it will be dependent on my hand, but a little guidance and strategies/cards to look for would be great. Same for the runner. We're both pretty good at games, but I want to make sure our first games aren't total blowouts because someone did something really stupid on the first or second turns.

Thanks!

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Aerox posted:

I'm going to be playing my first game of Netrunner tonight -- neither of us has ever played the game before. We'll be using the Shaper vs. Jinteki starter decks like the manual suggests.

We've both read the rules and they seem pretty straightforward, so I wanted to ask a couple general questions about the game.

Are there any rules that aren't obvious from the rulebook and/or are easily messed up or played wrong? Is there anything that might lead to a rules dispute early on that we should be aware of?

Would someone mind laying out some really basic strategies for the first few turns for each side? I'd imagine the corp spending all three actions on the first turn to draw a card is a terrible idea, but just from reading the rules it doesn't quite seem clear what I should be doing. I know it will be dependent on my hand, but a little guidance and strategies/cards to look for would be great. Same for the runner. We're both pretty good at games, but I want to make sure our first games aren't total blowouts because someone did something really stupid on the first or second turns.

Thanks!

The Corp gets what amounts to a free card draw every turn. If at all possible, the Corp's first turn should involve installing Ice on HQ (your hand) and/or R&D (your deck). Maybe play an Event card or pick up an extra credit if needs be; worst case scenario, you can always draw another card.

The Runner's first turn is more than likely setting up for future runs by playing equipment or Programs, picking up credits, or drawing cards. If the Corp didn't have the Ice necessary to protect one of their initial servers, do a Run on it immediately. At worst you deprive them of a card; at best you score easy Agenda points!

For the Corp, as you play, keep in mind you almost never want to install Agendas without having the actions to get at least one bit of Ice installed. This can chance if you run with traps, but if your Runner knows you have traps, they may not go for easy bait. This can lead to all sorts of mind games, but I'm getting ahead of myself. As the Corp, you have the hidden information and you must be careful about what you choose to reveal and what you keep hidden.

For Runners, speed is your ally. The Corp can only advance Agendas slowly, but you score Agenda points instantly when you snag one from a successful Run. So the goal of the Runner should be to get some equipment and at least a couple Icebreakers on the table, then start Running on the Corp's servers. If you can break their Ice, score some Agendas, and generally keep them off-balance, you can make things easier for yourself, because as they're scrambling to protect one server, you're prepping to run on another. Or maybe the same one! The Runner's more flexible than the Corp. Keep that in mind.

That's just general stuff from the top of my head. When I actually play the new version myself, I'll have more in-depth tips for you. Good luck, and have fun!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats good advice. I stole a 3-agenda on turn 1 in my last game because there was no ice on their HQ and I got lucky drawing it from their hand :lol:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Not sure who asked but The Ares Project loving rules. It's what Starcraft the board game should have been.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
To buy:
-Galaxy Trucker expansion
-Space Alert expansion
-Dixit
-Pictomania (hahaha)
-Dominion
-Mundus Novus

Bought, haven't played:
-Galaxy Trucker
-BSG

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
[quote="Tekopo" post=""407493861"]No Retreat 2[/quote]

As I liked the GMT-published first game in the series, I thought about giving it a try on vassal. And I'm sure I understood the rules wrong, as my solo rules-trial did not have sense. Starting on first available date I found that axis player has really nothing to do in terms of meaningful stalling, as general british superiority combined with high supplies made their rushing in quite consequence-free. And then I draw the card that gave brits another offensive, effectively ending the game.

Any ideas on what could I get wrong? As I'm fairly sure te Italians are supposed to have some meaningful decisions to make, even during hasty retreat. Also, how's the card play, without using them as resources and Malta stuff?

On topic though, I think I'm falling in love with Red Winter. It's a Grand Tactical, purely hex'n'chits game of Battle of Tolvajärvi, during the Winter War. It's fairly quick playing (it's got about 20 pages of rules and only one counter sheet), yet meaty in the decision-making department. It feels like a nice, classic game with some extra chromey rules - all of which really do feel they're in for a reason. My favourite little touch is that the units get a better chance to recover by standing far from enemies, forcing the players to rotate his reserves like a proper commander.

The really interesting part is the presented situation, though. First off, the map is pretty interesting. It forces you to either slog through rough terrain around frozen lakes (literally everything that's not lakes is LoS-blocking, MP-eating harsh terrain of arious sorts), or take shortcuts/raid exposed flanks through them, bearing in mind they're the biggest death traps known to grogking.

Secondly, the forces involved are vastly asymmetrical - something I enjoy a lot in games. The Soviets are the juggernaut, swarming with units and having powerful indirect fire support and armored forces at their disposal (the Finns have literally only two AT Guns, represented by a single chit, and no other way to harm them apart from risky close assaults), yet eventually doomed to crumble as the losses keep mounting. The Finns on the other hand, are heavily outnumbered and outgunned, yet enjoy greater mobility and are better prepared to cope with supply and winter attrition problems. So one player tries to mantain his momentum and trying not to bleed out, while the other one struggles with controlling it's withdrawal, unable to sarifice neither men nor territory, while at the same time guerillaing his way into possible counterattack.

All in all, it's a sweet game. Simple and familiar, yet full of flavour and unique touches, as well as constantly throwing interesting problems at you.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
My wife and I got in our first play of 1960: The Making of the President this morning and we both really liked it. I'm used to the style after playing a few games of Twilight Struggle, but she's completely new to CDGs. She caught on fine and I figure after a couple more games, we'll be more familiar with the cards and open to different strategies. We had NO IDEA what was going on with the Debate this first time and I was also lost on the "issues"-track for most of the game, which led to me not having many momentum tokens. I still pulled out a win as Nixon because I kept 45 point New York a priority and I just had more votes in the end. Can't wait to play again (and then eventually spring Twilight Struggle on her).

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Aerox posted:

Thanks!

If you are the corp, look at your starting hand. Less than 2 pieces of ice? Mulligan.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Deviant posted:

Not sure who asked but The Ares Project loving rules. It's what Starcraft the board game should have been.

I did and that's awesome.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I had my second game of Dungeon Petz tonight; it went a lot better than my first game. I still really don't know how the buying platform action space works (does your imp get the x3 multiplier on the turn you place the imp there or do you wait a turn?), but other than that the rules went over well with everyone and there were no real moments where someone got confused on a rule and got screwed. Honestly I've had a better experience with Dungeon Lords than Dungeon Petz (even though they're pretty different), but I definitely see myself growing to like this game.

EDIT: I also have played The Ares Project. Honestly? I got a lot of plays from it, but it's not my thing. It's got the fog of war construction part down great, but when combat starts I feel the game falls apart to just a slog of dice-chucking. If only the battle system was anywhere near as good as the construction system :sigh:

Trynant fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 14, 2012

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Trynant posted:

I had my second game of Dungeon Petz tonight; it went a lot better than my first game. I still really don't know how the buying platform action space works (does your imp get the x3 multiplier on the turn you place the imp there or do you wait a turn?), but other than that the rules went over well with everyone and there were no real moments where someone got confused on a rule and got screwed. Honestly I've had a better experience with Dungeon Lords than Dungeon Petz (even though they're pretty different), but I definitely see myself growing to like this game.
With the buying platform, your imp gets the x3 multiplier on the following turn (or whichever subsequent one you choose to use him on, since you can leave him there until you sell a pet, I believe). You move them to the x3 space, from the spot you place them on initially when placing your workers, during the reset phase.

I had a really poo poo first game of Dungeon Petz for a multitude of extraneous factors outside my teaching of the game and understanding of the rules, but my second game went over pretty well. I wish I could get it to the table more often, since it's a pretty fun game with some unique mechanics and brilliant flavor, but I think the bad taste from the first game still tends to linger a bit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Trynant posted:

It goes like this:
  • You send an imp or group of imps to the light square on the platform.
  • If you have any imps anywhere on the platform during the sell phase, you can sell a single pet from the platform (getting x3 points instead of x2). If you do so, you move 1 imp from the platform to sold pet's cage. There is otherwise no way to get those imps back once they're on the platform.
  • During the double-sell turn of the game, you can only sell a single pet from the platform.
  • Any imps on the light square of the platform move to the right side of the platform at the beginning of the next turn, allowing another group of imps to be sent there by a player.
  • At the end of the game, imps still on the platform count against you in the business exhibition.

Basically, it gives you a million billion points and essentially guarantees you'll win the game but you have to sacrifice workers for a number of turns to use it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
For ages I treated the selling platform square exactly the same as every other square; that is, you get all your imps back from it on the turn you place them, and they don't stay there. Haven't played the game again since I discovered the actual rules yet.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I did not know you could place more than one imp on the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I was out tonight and I came across "Zombies!!!" it looked pretty interesting and quick googling showed it having tons of expansions. I'm pretty interested in it but I was wondering what the goon consensus was on it. Worth picking up and buying tons of expansions or should I go with another zombie game such as last night on Earth or something.

• Locked thread