Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I forgot what the name of the webcomic was that I used to make my avatar. It's a one page piece about someone losing joy and interest. At some point he meets a deer and takes a photo of it I think. He also rides a bycicle and watches TV at the end. Perhaps some of you know it.

Why is cold water from a faucet clear but not so much when it's hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Why is cold water from a faucet clear but not so much when it's hot?

Is it cloudy? There may be air dissolved in the hot water tank which is released when you open the driver, evident as millions as tiny bubbles, i.e. cloudy.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
A lot less oxygen can dissolve in hot water compared to cold water. If you heat water up, it will form gaseous oxygen to release. That's why it appears 'cloudy': there is gas formation inside the liquid which breaks the light.

This is also why you should make ice cubes from hot water, as they will be nice and clear! And it doesn't matter for the time it needs to cool, because the gas normally present inside cold water will reduce the speed it cools. Hot water for ice cubes is the way to go.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am going to make some ice cubes with boiling water right loving now!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Boiling water to clear ice never worked for me by the way. presumably when the water cools it reabsorbs oxygen. I've been told demineralised water might work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreenCard78 posted:

Why hasn't The Burn been canceled yet?

It has to stay on long enough that enough people remember it well enough to laugh when Daniel Tosh name-checks it before a commercial break.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

Boiling water to clear ice never worked for me by the way. presumably when the water cools it reabsorbs oxygen. I've been told demineralised water might work.

I've never tried it, but I've been told that using a vibrator to agitate the water makes the clearest ice.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Very Strange Things posted:

I've never tried it, but I've been told that using a vibrator to agitate the water makes the clearest ice.

Nah, that just helps the ice get more clear-headed :v:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Nah, that just helps the ice get more clear-headed :v:

You should have gone with the obviously bad joke that it gets the water wet. :suicide:

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A little bit of backstory is needed:

A guy (second in command) in my unit just wrote, in response to a private answering a question in a facebook group that it turned out was only supposed to be answered by NCOs and above. His error was pointed out with some laughs and the person who wrote it acknowledge it and moved on

then this was said after someone pointed out there was always someone who didn't catch the 'only NCO and above' qualifier:

'it's like saying "free milk and bread at the grocery store. No Somalis" they're the first people in line anyway, screaming for their free poo poo'

Now my question is, should I report this up the line or is it in any way acceptable and I just didn't get it? It could have some huge repercussions for me if he finds out, and him if it goes far enough.
(Norwegian Army, if it matters. Not a conscript division, a professional unit)

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I have a serious problem with grinding my teeth at night. Can I buy effective mouth guards to prevent this over the internet, or do I have to go to get one through the dentist?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I was stripping my bed earlier, and I saw a small bug of some kind. It was only a few mm long. Any idea what it is, and whether I should be worried about an infestation?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Jiriam posted:

Now my question is, should I report this up the line or is it in any way acceptable and I just didn't get it? It could have some huge repercussions for me if he finds out, and him if it goes far enough.
(Norwegian Army, if it matters. Not a conscript division, a professional unit)

I don't know about how the Norwegian Army works and it's incredibly easy for me to look down from my office chair and say this, but I think you should report it. It doesn't look morally ambiguous in any way and is conduct unbecoming of an officer.

Giant Squid posted:

I have a serious problem with grinding my teeth at night. Can I buy effective mouth guards to prevent this over the internet, or do I have to go to get one through the dentist?

When I got mine about 13 years ago, I went to the dentist. They had to do detailed molds of my teeth and then grind down the guards a bit for a proper fit; the way it was explained to me is that if they didn't fit well, they could grind down my teeth more on the sides and/or wear away at my gums. That was about a decade ago, though.

Since then, I've learned a trick that usually helps me not grind at night -- I rest the tip of my tongue on the bump behind my upper front teeth, which forces me to relax (oxymoron-like, I know) my jaw and keeps me from grinding.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

unpronounceable posted:

I saw a small bug of some kind. Any idea what it is

I think those sorts of questions can go in the Critterquest thread in GBS.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Giant Squid posted:

I just grabbed one from the store and it worked. It's certainly worth trying, as cheap as they are.

Edit: I got mine in a two-pack at Target. You heat it in water and bite into it to form the mold. Works great.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Giant Squid posted:

I also grind my teeth terribly, and I have a night guard from my dentist. Infinitely more comfortable than any boil and bite mouth guard I've ever had.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
edit: ^^^ that will teach me to keep tabs open for a long time

Wyatt posted:

I just grabbed one from the store and it worked. It's certainly worth trying, as cheap as they are.

Edit: I got mine in a two-pack at Target. You heat it in water and bite into it to form the mold. Works great.

Yeah I got one of those for football and it seems a lot better to form your own than to make a dentist appointment and wait for a "custom fit" when you can just make it home for practically free.

If anyone knows why the above is a bad idea please let me know. (I am not a dentist)

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
e: Already answered, nm

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 13, 2012

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Giant Squid posted:

Don't take teeth grinding lightly, my mother ground her teeth into nubs. When she goes to the dentist now it is always a major deal. What made me start taking care of my teeth was watching my mother cry her eyes out after painful dental visits. It has cost her tens of thousands of dollars and countless hours of agony. All of this could have been avoided with a custom made mouthguard 20 or 30 years ago. You have to get a real one made by your dentist and it will cost a lot. Just do it, go into debt if you have to. I mean get into the car and go to the dentist right loving now.

Edit: oh god don't listen to anyone that tells you to use a football mouthguard!!!!! They will gently caress up your mouth even more. Mouthguards for sports are COMPLETELY different than dental ones. I repeat, you will gently caress you're jaw, tooth enamel, gums and inner cheeks to absolute poo poo with the wrong mouthguard. Buy a real custom one from a dentist. If money is an issue call around to dentists and plead your case, maybe one will take mercy. This poo poo is NOT A JOKE, it will have life long consequences.

My question: How do I make a thread show only the OP's post?

TheHistoryChannel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 13, 2012

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TheHistoryChannel posted:

My question: How do I make a thread show only the OP's post?

Down in the lower-left corner of a post, to the left of the dateline ("Sep 13, 2012, 01:13") you'll see several symbols. The '?' will display all posts by the selected user in the thread. If you're after just the original post, then click the '1' button to the left of that.

e: I hope that's not an SALR feature. I've been using it so long that I'm not sure what is and what isn't.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 13, 2012

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

gently caress yeah thanks a lot, I owe you a favor.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there a twitter web app or site or something that saves my unread tweets instead of me having to use the plain twitter site? When I put my computer to sleep and then turn it on again, there's a gap in unread tweets that I end up having to load manually. I only get about 100-200 new tweets every day.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dudebro posted:

Is there a twitter web app or site or something that saves my unread tweets instead of me having to use the plain twitter site? When I put my computer to sleep and then turn it on again, there's a gap in unread tweets that I end up having to load manually. I only get about 100-200 new tweets every day.

http://www.twittertape.co.uk/

Here's a real-life version made from some sort of receipt printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3Y2mZ8xxI

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
If you had to sum up social media in a sentence or a picture, what would it be?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Tots posted:

Probably this:

(Does this break rules as it's a meme? Sorry. Seemed appropriate.)

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
At least in the US: Every time you see two water fountains, is it from when they had segregated fountains?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zewle posted:

At least in the US: Every time you see two water fountains, is it from when they had segregated fountains?

When I see them in pairs, one is usually set lower for handicapped people.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zewle posted:

Seems incredibly doubtful, some are far too new for that, and besides my understanding is segregated fountains weren't directly next to each other in general. It's part traffic and part height differential (usually one is significantly lower than the other).

mappertyst
Aug 18, 2006
I recently bought an office chair from Ikea. I have hard laminate floors which I have now learned aren't quite even. Because the rolling casters on the new chair are so smooth and functional, I'm sliding all over the place when I'm trying to sit at my desk and work.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than buying a new set of casters for the chair? Aside from casters being relatively expensive for such a little thing, there is the additional problem of compatibility; I've read that caster stems aren't always uniform, and Ikea chairs in particular won't always accept third-party stems.

I've considered getting a rug, but I'm afraid it will bunch up when I do need to roll around. Anyone have any experience here?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

mappertyst posted:

I recently bought an office chair from Ikea. I have hard laminate floors which I have now learned aren't quite even. Because the rolling casters on the new chair are so smooth and functional, I'm sliding all over the place when I'm trying to sit at my desk and work.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than buying a new set of casters for the chair? Aside from casters being relatively expensive for such a little thing, there is the additional problem of compatibility; I've read that caster stems aren't always uniform, and Ikea chairs in particular won't always accept third-party stems.

I've considered getting a rug, but I'm afraid it will bunch up when I do need to roll around. Anyone have any experience here?

Maybe look into a chef's mat? They're beefier than rugs and have rubbery bottoms so they don't slide easily.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What is it called when a building has businesses on the ground floor and residents on the higher floors? Is that mixed-use?

Where can I learn more about city planning? Any good books or documentaries?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TheGame posted:

e: I hope that's not an SALR feature. I've been using it so long that I'm not sure what is and what isn't.

I believe the single post thing is, but it just uses existing forums functionality and puts it in a convenient place. If you can remember the url syntax you can construct out manually (I never can).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caufman posted:

What is it called when a building has businesses on the ground floor and residents on the higher floors? Is that mixed-use?

That's a form of mixed use building yes. Never heard of a specific term other than "over shop apartment" or sometimes "shopkeeper's apartment" (which gets used regardless of if the shopkeeper actually lives in it).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Caufman posted:

Where can I learn more about city planning? Any good books or documentaries?

Urbanized (documentary) is awesome.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Can someone recommend a nice basic DVR that I can set up for my parents? Believe it or not they're still using VHS tapes to record a show they won't be home for. Note: anything that requires a cable or satellite connection is out, since they only get broadcast TV. (An Internet connection can be done, however.)

Ideally, the device would be able to save videos to a USB stick or network drive in case it's something they want to keep, but that'd just be a nice extra. All they really need is to tell it to record channel 2 at 6pm for one hour, and then be able to play it back.

(I didn't see a DVR thread in IYG, but I apologize if I somehow missed a better place to ask this.)

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Powered Descent posted:

Can someone recommend a nice basic DVR that I can set up for my parents? Believe it or not they're still using VHS tapes to record a show they won't be home for. Note: anything that requires a cable or satellite connection is out, since they only get broadcast TV. (An Internet connection can be done, however.)

Ideally, the device would be able to save videos to a USB stick or network drive in case it's something they want to keep, but that'd just be a nice extra. All they really need is to tell it to record channel 2 at 6pm for one hour, and then be able to play it back.

(I didn't see a DVR thread in IYG, but I apologize if I somehow missed a better place to ask this.)

You can buy a cable card for a desktop computer. Windows Media Center can be used to record shows, and it's actually really easy to use. The only difficult part is installing the card (which isn't even that bad). Just toss it in a cheap computer with an okay graphics card.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

TiVo works just peachy with OTA breadcasts, but there's a monthly fee involved if you want guide data. You CAN use a TiVo as a dumb DVR without the service however. Your options are are just like you want, "Record channel 2 at 6pm for one hour" but you can't tell it "Record Golden Girls every monday" or something like that. Plus you'll get nagged a lot.

Last-gen TiVo units are dirt cheap on the used market too.

There are some DVRs built exclusively for OTA use, but they seem to run in the $200-$300 range.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 14, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tots posted:

Remember when we used to talk to our real friends about things that mattered to us?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

mappertyst posted:

Put big plastic bottle lids on floor, rest casters in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is it possible to sync an iphone with a PC but instead of the PCs files syncing to the iphone, can the iphone sync with the PC by uploading the data on the phone to the PC?