Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot some Delta 3200 at an event, developed it at 6400, and pushed further in LR by about 2 stops, so I guess making it 25600?

Listening by alkanphel, on Flickr

Rest of the set is here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjC2z4k9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

What's a good digital incident light meter I can find for $100 or less used? Is there one that cheap that has good low-light capability and can also do spot metering?

I think I got my Minolta IIIf for $100, and it's great.

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"
How is a look like this achieved? Simply overexposed? Or is it done in post?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

internetdrink posted:

This doesn't look overexposed or at least not by much. I think it's mostly a combination of the cloudy weather (directionless uniform light) and a bit of post. Too much sharpening, too from what I can see.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

internetdrink posted:

I think you have to be Asian or maybe just be in Asia. Every drat 400H or Portra 400 from Japan, Korea, or Hong Kong looks like this and I've never seen anyone able to say definitively how to get that look.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

internetdrink posted:

To me it looks like color negative film overexposed by a stop or two, plus flat, even, overcast sun.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Question regarding film scans - I have an old Epson CX7800 which is kind of a pain to deal with. I had been using it to scan b&w since I was developing it, but I am planning on shooting color for a while and will be taking it somewhere.

Do any of you know of retail places that offer high res scans? I have read that some people get them from Target but at mine I have only gotten small jpegs on cd in the past. That said, I never asked if they can do larger (and I do trust the guy there do would prefer to go there to begin with). Are there any other places I should look at?

There is a local camera place as well but I think the developing and scanning cost roughly 15 bucks and the owner could not give me the exact size of the scan, only that they were jpeg and "large enough to work with". I'm sure the quality is there but I would prefer it to not be jpeg for that price (unless that is standard, this is new to me so I don't know)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

rio posted:

Question regarding film scans - I have an old Epson CX7800 which is kind of a pain to deal with. I had been using it to scan b&w since I was developing it, but I am planning on shooting color for a while and will be taking it somewhere.

Do any of you know of retail places that offer high res scans? I have read that some people get them from Target but at mine I have only gotten small jpegs on cd in the past. That said, I never asked if they can do larger (and I do trust the guy there do would prefer to go there to begin with). Are there any other places I should look at?

There is a local camera place as well but I think the developing and scanning cost roughly 15 bucks and the owner could not give me the exact size of the scan, only that they were jpeg and "large enough to work with". I'm sure the quality is there but I would prefer it to not be jpeg for that price (unless that is standard, this is new to me so I don't know)

Unless you're only shooting one or two rolls of film, buy a V500 and don't look back.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If you only shoot 35mm a dedicated film scanner like a Plustek (7400,7600,8100, etc) will show more detail than a Epson V750 for V500 money.
V500 is probably a good overall suggestion because it also does MF but if you have no intention of getting into MF also consider a dedicated film scanner if quality is the most important.

For less than V500 money you may be able to find a used Minolta Dimage III or IV that will definitely show more detail.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yes, if you don't plan on shooting anything bigger than 35mm a dedicated scanner is far superior. It also just so happens that I will most likely have a Minolta IV for sale very soon...

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys - I am slowly putting aside some cash for a dedicated film scanner (baby + low summer income and all), so maybe I'll just not worry about finding a place that scans for now and do it myself when I yet one.

Also, I would totally be interested in that Minolta when you end up selling it Reichstag!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think I may have posted this or a different version before, but can you guys tell me if I was successful in cloning out all of the dark splotches in the sky? Does it look like there are nice, even gradients in the sky in the top right and on the left side as well? I've been staring at it for too long, can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

#2 by spf3million, on Flickr

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

I think I may have posted this or a different version before, but can you guys tell me if I was successful in cloning out all of the dark splotches in the sky? Does it look like there are nice, even gradients in the sky in the top right and on the left side as well? I've been staring at it for too long, can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

It looks like there's a sharp transition in the sky coming off of the tip of the spire, otherwise I think it looks good.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That transition is from the light hitting the building. It belongs there.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just to clarify, I can see the shadow down the middle/left.
I originally had a bunch of darker blotches in the top right and top left sky areas, maybe smudges on the negative or something? They'd appear and disappear depending on the angle I tilted the monitor. Apparently they're not obvious anymore, so mission accomplished. Thanks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It still looks mottled, almost like leopard-print shadows.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I hate you

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
My ME Super is being a crabby crabcake again is refusing to release it's shutter. Does someone have an link to the guide that was posted in one of these camera threads. (I couldn't find it in the Pentax ME Superthread)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Probably http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html , and that's a good idea to stick it in the other thread.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
This is my latest color pic scanned with the cheap Opticfilm 8100. Film is (super cheap) Fuji C200. Not much in the way of post processing other than removing the occasional scratch.

Right after sunset colors were already vanishing but it still looks great IMO.

Balloon burner at dusk di maxmars70, su Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Anyone shot Pro Image 100? It looks like there's a healthy dose of post in this shot, but I'm in love with that look. The stuff seems to be pretty drat cheap ebay.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Will using a polarizing filter with black and white film do anything for me?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

it will make your skies darker and your reflections less reflecty

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

Personally the way I use a polarizing filter is as a sky or reflection-cut filter. It still cuts the light the same way for B+W film. It'll more or less like using a yellow filter except it'll cut reflections too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Personally I would pick a yellow (or red for MAXXimum contrast!!) filter over a polarizer for b&w shots. But that's just from persona experience. I've never been 100% happy with my skies when I use a polarizer, but that could just me being terrible :downs:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Thanks guys, I want it primarily for color film, but didn't know.

I think I'm going to buy this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11278-REG/B_W_65062138_67mm_Linear_Polarizer.html

Is it worth an extra $20 for multicoating?

Also, what's a Kaesemann one do? They're like twice as expensive.

EDIT: I googled (don't know why I asked before doing that) and evidently it's use in tropical areas so moisture doesn't get between the glass pieces.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

Thanks guys, I want it primarily for color film, but didn't know.

I think I'm going to buy this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11278-REG/B_W_65062138_67mm_Linear_Polarizer.html

Is it worth an extra $20 for multicoating?

You probably want a circular, not a linear polarizer (matters in case you ever want to use it on an AF lens). Also, it looks like you misspelled "Marumi Super DHG" while you were searching, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 19, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

You probably want a circular, not a linear polarizer (matters in case you ever want to use it on an AF lens). Also, it looks like you misspelled "Marumi Super DHG" while you were searching, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS

Is that better than B+W? Looks like normal price is stupid high, but sometimes amazon posts crazy list prices so I don't know how realistic that $250 is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

Is that better than B+W? Looks like normal price is stupid high, but sometimes amazon posts crazy list prices so I don't know how realistic that $250 is.

Yeah, it tied with B+W's nicest filter. The linear polarizers are cheaper than the C-Pols because they're simpler, meaning for an equivalent filter B+W is much more expensive. The list price is unrealistic but the Super DHG is by far the best polarizer for the money.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just letting you know that my Marumi is awesome and you shouldn't spend more on anything that's not an upgrade anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just wondering if anyone has traded in gear at KEH, was their :10bux: offer reasonable? Did they quibble over the rating?

I'm looking to offload some older Pentax digital gear and hopefully get enough cash for it to pay for a Bessa R.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's not even rating, they just give you really, really low offers. The only reason to sell to keh is if you have no patience, though, for my sake, I hope people keep doing it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thanks to KEH by BGN branded film back was exactly that - a bargain for what I got. Same with the MF kit I got last year. KEH is great for buyers, so-so for sellers.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Compared to most stores which are bad for both (which is fair enough since they have to deal with customers rubbing their grubby hands all over everything).

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Why the hell did I go with WalMart to develop my negatives? Dropped them off on the 6th of this month. They didn't get sent out until the 11th (I didn't know they sent out their c41). Still not done yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dakana posted:

Why the hell did I go with WalMart to develop my negatives? Dropped them off on the 6th of this month. They didn't get sent out until the 11th (I didn't know they sent out their c41). Still not done yet.

On a related note: never pay for minilab scans, ever. They're so bad I can't believe they use them to make prints.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Well I might try my luck with ebay then, just a couple of zoom lenses and a k100d super body, which KEH offered around $300 for the lot in EX condition, I'll see if I can do better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think KEH offered me like $40 or $50 for my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Macro in EX+ condition. I mean that was like insultingly low. I'd almost rather they said "Sorry we don't want it".

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is there a way to add EXIF data to an image? It's not super important or anything, but I wouldn't mind adding camera info to film shots I've scanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Is there a way to add EXIF data to an image? It's not super important or anything, but I wouldn't mind adding camera info to film shots I've scanned.

Sure. If you're using Photoshop, go to File -> File Info and that should let you add what you want. Lightroom probably has the same feature but I'm between reinstalling it so I can't verify.

edit: Oh huh weird, I guess it doesn't let you edit the Camera Info. That's odd, I could have sworn it let me do that before.

Some rudimentary googling reveals http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ might be a good solution, though it's not really an elegant GUI as far as I can tell.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 20, 2012