Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks. Flashing franco right now. Irritated that unlocking the Gnex bootloader triggers a mandatory full device wipe.

You can (should) just plunk down the money for Titanium Backup's paid version, and that way you can just back everything you want up, move it off the device, and then after the wipe install it from the market and restore the backup.

I can see the personal data security reasoning behind the wipe but yeah it is irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

TheReverend posted:

My friend is on Verizon and wants a new phone that will last him a while (in terms of aftermarket upgradeability). Is the GNex still the way to go or should he get a Galaxy S3?

If he can hold out, there should be some new Nexus devices in a month or two that might be a better choice over an S3. Otherwise it comes down to whether always getting the new version is more important than somewhat improved specs/screen of the S3. Or if he needs an SDCard slot.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

The Entire Universe posted:

You can (should) just plunk down the money for Titanium Backup's paid version, and that way you can just back everything you want up, move it off the device, and then after the wipe install it from the market and restore the backup.

Except rooting requires unlocking too, and you can't backup without root. I learned this the hard way.

Unless there's a way to root without using the galaxy nexus toolkit? That's what told me I had to unlock first.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can someone recommend a good kernel for the i9100 (Running CM10 if that helps/matters) which has BLN support and good battery life?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Frozen-Solid posted:

Except rooting requires unlocking too, and you can't backup without root. I learned this the hard way.

Unless there's a way to root without using the galaxy nexus toolkit? That's what told me I had to unlock first.

Coulda sworn it didn't need root to do a basic backup of apps/data. Maybe not the system settings, but apps and data shouldn't need root. I could be wrong - last time I backed up without root was when Samsung was doing its thing with the Epic 4G and not getting 2.2 on it until some ridiculously late date. Didn't use TB, though. Used My Backup Pro, which I am not sure exists or is maintained anymore.

Maybe there's a temporary root that will work - it would typically last until a restart which should let you do a backup. That's beyond my knowledge though. I would imagine a GNex would have gotten at least some kind of temp root so you can back up, but I haven't a clue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

My phone (HTC EVO ) is actin up and the Sprint store told me I need to unroot it for them to look at it. I googled for guides but the ones I found had dead links. Is there a goon recommended link to unroot and return my phone to stock?

HTC Evo 4g/Cyanogen is what I have.

thanks
Any particular reason why you're taking a three year-old phone to Sprint? At this point it's new phone time.

Frozen-Solid posted:

There is, you can ADB Backup. Not that it matters now anyway.

If you have a Nexus it's ridiculous to not unlock the bootloader right away.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My Galaxy Ace (bought in China) has a model number of S5838 instead of S5830, will I be able to use S5830 resources to mess with it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mozi posted:

My Galaxy Ace (bought in China) has a model number of S5838 instead of S5830, will I be able to use S5830 resources to mess with it?

Probably not, if I had to guess it would be due to the radio.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Probably not, if I had to guess it would be due to the radio.
Names mean nothing, model numbers mean everything. I'm sure there will be mention on xda what can and can't be done but until you're sure, figure on only having available to you what is specifically for the model number of device you have.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Names mean nothing, model numbers mean everything.

This should really be Samsung's corporate slogan. It seems like they've gotten a bit better this year, at least in the US, but man...what other company is anywhere near as responsible for this phenomenon?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

They're the only Android OEM with a name that has any cachet with the public so I have a tough time with blaming them for putting it on every piece of poo poo they can squeeze out. Verizon's Droid is probably more well known but it's been completely generified and I don't think it's as well regarded as Galaxy as a branding.

On the whole it's probably best for Samsung as most people don't have any idea the Galaxy Ace isn't the Galaxy R which isn't the Galaxy S etcetera and they really don't need to. The variations only matter to an incredibly small sliver of the market and really those that do care look into such things before they purchase.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

but man...what other company is anywhere near as responsible for this phenomenon?
Here's four:

Verizon Wireless
AT&T Mobility
Sprint Nextel
T-Mobile USA

Err, if you specifically mean technology companies, I'd probably point the finger at Qualcomm. Although frankly, the FCC is really responsible for all of it.

Samsung is not the only handset vendor where products with different internals go under similar names. Motorola and HTC both do this. Hell, even Apple is releasing three "iPhone 5"s under different model numbers.

Let's not forget that as recently as two years ago, carriers insisted on exclusive handsets with different names and other superficial differentiations. At least now an SGS3 is called such on every carrier and pretty much looks and works the same, consisting of mostly radio hardware differences. That's really quite a step up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

Names mean nothing, model numbers mean everything. I'm sure there will be mention on xda what can and can't be done but until you're sure, figure on only having available to you what is specifically for the model number of device you have.

Bummer. There seem to be plenty of Chinese resources available, so now I just have to figure out which is remotely trustworthy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mozi posted:

Bummer. There seem to be plenty of Chinese resources available, so now I just have to figure out which is remotely trustworthy.
I don't envy you at all. Godspeed.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

I figured out why the flashes keep failing when attempted automatically.

Somewhere along the line, the open recovery script that GooManager uses to pass commands through to recovery tells recovery to mount a USB drive instead of the SD card.

So, when I have the ROM in /sdcard0/goomanager so on and so forth, that path gets sent to recovery, but instead of /sdcard0/ it's /usb-otg/ :psyduck:

:bravo:

I am having the exact same problem with goomanager and the latest TWRP on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It tries to use the /usb-otg/ instead of the /sdcard0/ and fails every single time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is the jelly bean radio for the Verizon GNex?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/33228-jro03o-radios-for-toro-ff02fg02/

It was linked earlier. There's also a link to the rest of the stock radios in that thread somewhere, just in case. So far they've been working great for me, no changes in actual performance but the handoff between wifi/3g/4g is very much improved.

e: forgot to mention I'm on CM9.0.0. Probably going to stay until CM10 hits RC stage, since it's my only phone.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

For some reason I have limited signal and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the rom I flashed this morning? I have the One X and I flashed CleanROM V earlier, and I was running CleanROM 4.5 final before that. Everything else seems to be okay and my fiances phone has a good signal. I was thinking about re-flashing and seeing if that will do anything but I don't know.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
So do you really get a $10 Google card on each Wallet device? I recently bought a Nexus 7 and liked JB and wallet so much I rooted my s3 and installed CM10 and got the hacked wallet working. I've used the S3 wallet and my N7 still says it has $10 on it while the other one correctly reports having 4 and change left.

Am I stealing from the Googs? I'd feel pretty bad about that.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bobert51 posted:

So do you really get a $10 Google card on each Wallet device? I recently bought a Nexus 7 and liked JB and wallet so much I rooted my s3 and installed CM10 and got the hacked wallet working. I've used the S3 wallet and my N7 still says it has $10 on it while the other one correctly reports having 4 and change left.

Am I stealing from the Googs? I'd feel pretty bad about that.

I just became inspired trying to set up google wallet on my s3. i found this quote from the xda thread :

-if you have used google wallet on another device, your prepaid card on the sgs3 is not the same...so balances will not carry over on the prepaid card

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Nerdrock posted:

I just became inspired trying to set up google wallet on my s3. i found this quote from the xda thread :

-if you have used google wallet on another device, your prepaid card on the sgs3 is not the same...so balances will not carry over on the prepaid card

Yeah I saw that too, but it was unclear on whether that is by design or if using the hacky wallet makes it happen. Would I get two $10 cards with an N7 and a Gnex?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I don't think Google is giving out prepaid cards anymore now that all credit cards are working properly. I got an email the other day saying that prepaid card balances will depreciate by $2 a month after the end of October or something. I took my free :10bux: and bought two double quarter pounders at Mcdonalds for $9.98.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Well, I got my :20bux:

In other news, anyone have any idea why the quick reply option seems to have disappeared from the notification shade in cm10? The quick reply a la sms popup works, and the reply from the shade worked when I first installed but now it seems not to. The launcher wouldn't play in to that, would it? I did switch from the cm10 launcher to apex.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just rooted my GNex GSM and did a wipe and all with a shoddy back up of some files here and there. What kind of ROMS do you goons roll with? I'm trying a Cyanogen Mod 10 Monthly build. However, some apps always crash when I hit the settings button (even true when it was stock)

Mozi posted:

Go to the China Megathread and ask PRO PRC Laowai. That guy is like the walking encyclopedia of all sorts of things. Think he's actually running some China Android and a whole bunch of Chinese apps.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

Just rooted my GNex GSM and did a wipe and all with a shoddy back up of some files here and there. What kind of ROMS do you goons roll with? I'm trying a Cyanogen Mod 10 Monthly build. However, some apps always crash when I hit the settings button (even true when it was stock)

I like Codename Android ROMs just because they still look and feel stock, but have all the mods and enhancements you'll get with Cyanogen and others.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, when I texted an acquaintance from work today, the CM10 messaging app chopped off his area code, so I'm not sure if he got the text. I tried once or twice more, but as soon as I tap his name, it changes to just a 7-digit number. If I type out his number, it seems fine (only just tried that, though; no response yet). I haven't seen this behavior with other contacts. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm sorry if a lot of this sounds stupid but I'm an iPhone user since the 3G and have no idea about Android for the most part.

I bought a Galaxy S3 and have to say I love it. I got it through Rogers (Canadian carrier) so it has Touchwiz (I think) and was wondering if the stock OS would be better.

I'm not looking to do crazy hacking or change launchers or anything - I just want the standard OS that Google pops out and not have these annoying ROGERS PLAY TV PLUS or whatever apps.

I took a look online and also checked out the OP - I don't think it's up to date and I'd rather get advice from Goons. The thread also has a lot of pages. Please don't hurt me - I know a lot of this stuff is second nature to you guys but I am weary of screwing up my phone and bricking it.

How easy is it to jailbreak my phone to then install a stock OS? Is the newest version (Jellybean?) available as a leaked final OS, or should I still wait till its released in October to bother with any of this stuff? What if I jailbreak now, will it then just act like a normal stock phone and when the new release comes out it just updates normally, or will my phone set fire because Rogers is expecting my phone to be on Touchwiz and the update will break everything?

The only thing I think I want with my phone is that Titanium Backup so it can act like iCloud backup in a way - that has saved my rear end many times and I find it to be a helpful tool, and thanks again for the help guys

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm sorry if a lot of this sounds stupid but I'm an iPhone user since the 3G and have no idea about Android for the most part.

I bought a Galaxy S3 and have to say I love it. I got it through Rogers (Canadian carrier) so it has Touchwiz (I think) and was wondering if the stock OS would be better.

I'm not looking to do crazy hacking or change launchers or anything - I just want the standard OS that Google pops out and not have these annoying ROGERS PLAY TV PLUS or whatever apps.

I took a look online and also checked out the OP - I don't think it's up to date and I'd rather get advice from Goons. The thread also has a lot of pages. Please don't hurt me - I know a lot of this stuff is second nature to you guys but I am weary of screwing up my phone and bricking it.

How easy is it to jailbreak my phone to then install a stock OS? Is the newest version (Jellybean?) available as a leaked final OS, or should I still wait till its released in October to bother with any of this stuff? What if I jailbreak now, will it then just act like a normal stock phone and when the new release comes out it just updates normally, or will my phone set fire because Rogers is expecting my phone to be on Touchwiz and the update will break everything?

The only thing I think I want with my phone is that Titanium Backup so it can act like iCloud backup in a way - that has saved my rear end many times and I find it to be a helpful tool, and thanks again for the help guys

Welcome to Android. I have no experience with the S3, but isn't Touchwiz just a launcher for Android? Switching launchers is super easy, basically it's just installing a new app. If you want to get rid of the bloatware apps, then you'll need to root. (Side note, the term "jailbreaking" isn't used for Android phones, it's just "rooting".) I have no idea how easy it is to unlock the bootloader and root an S3, but if you read the last couples of pages, others have discussed it fairly recently.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You can deactivate whatever bloatware apps you'd like in Settings > Apps, All.

Also changing launchers is just a thing you're allowed to do and will for the most part give you a close to stock experience. I'd recommend either Nova or Apex. Changing a launcher isn't hacking, rooting pretty much is.

If you root updates break. You can go back to stock if you want to get official updates but the beauty of it is there will never be current updates for your phone so won't ever have to worry about it. You'll get this next one and after that every update will come many, many months behind official releases then they'll just stop altogether after you're two versions behind.

Titanium is nice but of course requires root. I don't find it incredibly useful unless you're switching ROMs a lot. It's not like you're going to be factory resetting your phone often but yes, when you want to it is invaluable.

You might be best served looking into a rooted stock ROM for your phone and maybe using Nova or Apex to see if you like AOSP and then if you do figure you want to switch out to an AOSP-based ROM try CM10 or AOKP or any of the others.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you root updates break. You can go back to stock if you want to get official updates but the beauty of it is there will never be current updates for your phone so won't ever have to worry about it. You'll get this next one and after that every update will come many, many months behind official releases then they'll just stop altogether after you're two versions behind.

I'm sorry, could you clarify this a bit better? If I put on stock ICS (I downloaded Odin and am currently downloading the stock Rogers image, I will not get JB when the time comes?

Basically, put it this way - I just want to have the stock experience with nothing added on top - I don't care for newer launchers or homescreens or whatever, just what Google puts out and nothing more.

e:

I found these instructions...sounds like it's what I want...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

DashingGentleman posted:

Having said that, it certainly does restore the kernel, so if that's all Zero VGS flashed, it really should revert.

On my Xperia Arc (2011), Nandroid definitely does NOT backup or restore the kernel. So I think Nandroid's could be device specific.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm sorry, could you clarify this a bit better? If I put on stock ICS (I downloaded Odin and am currently downloading the stock Rogers image, I will not get JB when the time comes?

Basically, put it this way - I just want to have the stock experience with nothing added on top - I don't care for newer launchers or homescreens or whatever, just what Google puts out and nothing more.
If you stay stock you'll get updates as they get released but Samsung won't keep the device current.

When they say "stock" they mean "stock from Samsung". If you want what comes from Google you'll have to get a community-built ROM that hacks that together for you.

I found these instructions...sounds like it's what I want...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
That is exactly what you have plus root.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you stay stock you'll get updates as they get released but Samsung won't keep the device current.

When they say "stock" they mean "stock from Samsung". If you want what comes from Google you'll have to get a community-built ROM that hacks that together for you.
That is exactly what you have plus root.

Yeah, I ran through that tutorial and it literally restarted my phone (after a bit of time) with everything the exact same way it was, except I was able to download a "Root Checker" and now my phone is rooted. I assume all I did was flash the same thing on my phone but rooted it. Am I basically back to where I started, and everything will update normally when new versions of Android come out, except now I'm rooted so I can potentially do more to my device down the road?

Is it worth me trying to flash JB on it or just stay where I am and not bother with this stuff? What would you do in my shoes? Again, I'm not interested in customizing the phone with different launchers or anything, I just didn't really want TouchWiz and wanted the stock experience.

The more I type this out the more I'm wondering if I should just stick with Touchwiz and let it ride.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah, I ran through that tutorial and it literally restarted my phone (after a bit of time) with everything the exact same way it was, except I was able to download a "Root Checker" and now my phone is rooted. I assume all I did was flash the same thing on my phone but rooted it. Am I basically back to where I started, and everything will update normally when new versions of Android come out, except now I'm rooted so I can potentially do more to my device down the road?

Is it worth me trying to flash JB on it or just stay where I am and not bother with this stuff? What would you do in my shoes? Again, I'm not interested in customizing the phone with different launchers or anything, I just didn't really want TouchWiz and wanted the stock experience.

The more I type this out the more I'm wondering if I should just stick with Touchwiz and let it ride.

So at this point, you've done what I did back when I got mine, and are on a stock rooted image. Your next step is to find a way to (i've already forgotten the procedure) get clockworkmod recovery on it. It didn't sound important to me at first, but it is.

Find a proper guide and get clockworkmod. With CWM, you can start loving with it to your heart's content, and be safe with about 98 percent certainty that you can bring your phone back to a point where it works fine. So : get clockwork going. Learn what you can do with it, and how to get into it (hold volume up and home key and power at the same time when booting from power off). Make a backup.

Now : you can experiment with whatever custom ROM your heart desires. CM10 is a great one, but I've found little issues with mine that keep pissing me off JUST enough to roll back to stock. (on Verizon at least, I get frequent drops of data connection with cm10).

CM10 and many recent custom roms are based on Jelly Bean. Try one if you like, or don't. It's fun enough to play with for a bit. Touchwiz is the "samsung stock" experience. Personally, i'm on stock rooted 4.0.4 right now, and using Apex Launcher instead just because it offers a slight bit more options than Touchwiz (5x5 icons rather than 4x4, and a persistent google bar at the top like JB has). I've found myself more and more just buying poo poo that makes using the phone better, and I hadn't even intended on it. I found myself suddenly buying and using WidgetLocker, Apex Launcher, and ChompSMS without even intending to customize stuff so much.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So here I am, hours later, with jelly bean installed on my phone.

Now I'm going to back it up then try CM just to see what the differences are.

E: How do I take a screenshot in CM 10?

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 16, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So here I am, hours later, with jelly bean installed on my phone.

Now I'm going to back it up then try CM just to see what the differences are.

E: How do I take a screenshot in CM 10?

Enable it in the power menu (system settings>System>Power Menu) and you can long press the power button to do screen shots.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Otherwise it's volume down and power by default I believe.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sperg Victorious posted:

I like Codename Android ROMs just because they still look and feel stock, but have all the mods and enhancements you'll get with Cyanogen and others.

Loving Codename, it's even got a custom slide lockscreen with added widgets! And you can edit how many of those buttons you want besides the default 3 in your GNex

Thanks, I really like it. CM10 for me had weird issues with bluetooth devices. Hopefully this one I will be better off. I know that it's good to get titanium backup for app and data, but is there something more "less overwhelming" for SMS/photos/messaging stuff?

One thing that did occur to me because of installing a CM10 and then another custom rom is that I have 2 bars of notification toggles and notification widgets. Is there a way to eliminate one of them besides unenabling?

All in all, fun stuff. I was at first aprehensive to rooting/modding/customizing because I didn't want to bother and just want a smart phone but I guess that's the spirit of Android, tweak stuff.

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 17, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If I want to flash the leaked JB update radios on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, do I need to wipe anything first? Or can I just boot into recovery and flash them over the old radios? I'm running the latest Bugless Beast jellybean nightly, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drifter287 posted:

If I want to flash the leaked JB update radios on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, do I need to wipe anything first? Or can I just boot into recovery and flash them over the old radios? I'm running the latest Bugless Beast jellybean nightly, if that makes a difference.
Just flash over top, that's it.