Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

If you are worried about talking over cutscenes, go ahead and do it, but cut out your audio in post. The Tech Fort could help you on that end and I imagine it would be easier for you as well in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sats
Sep 13, 2012

Laugh, clown,
at your broken love!
So, um, I'm using IrfanView to capture these screenshots, and aaaall of them are too big. Is there a way I can, I guess, mass shrink all of these?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Sats posted:

So, um, I'm using IrfanView to capture these screenshots, and aaaall of them are too big. Is there a way I can, I guess, mass shrink all of these?

Yes, using Irfanview itself. If you hit "B" on your keyboard, it loads up into a batch converter.

Sats
Sep 13, 2012

Laugh, clown,
at your broken love!

Leavemywife posted:

Yes, using Irfanview itself. If you hit "B" on your keyboard, it loads up into a batch converter.

Well, I meant bigger as in actually larger images. Not file size.

Edit: Nevermind, it was under Advanced. thanks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, you can batch-resize too. Go look at the thing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Brainamp posted:

If you are worried about talking over cutscenes, go ahead and do it, but cut out your audio in post. The Tech Fort could help you on that end and I imagine it would be easier for you as well in the long run.
This is my method. Going from gameplay/intro into cutscenes normally causes a change in conversation topic anyway which tends to provide a good mute point. Plus, it's then really easy to encode 2 videos using the cut and uncut commentary so you can appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I upped my audio in the Chibi Robo video. How's this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jyWPBAVxY

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

BioEnchanted posted:

I upped my audio in the Chibi Robo video. How's this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jyWPBAVxY
You are definitely more audible, not sure what happened to your video resolution though. I assume though that was just meant so you could get a quick example video out. Also you don't necessarily need to edit out the audio for the speeding up as it sounds a little odd to suddenly get silence during the speed ups.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't edit out the audio there, I don't know how to speed up in Virtual Dub, and Windows Live Movie Maker automatically removes audio where sped up. If you can help me work out how to speed up video while keeping the audio, that would be great! Also, I made a custom WLMM setting to reduce filesize, as I couldn't get it small enough without halving the bitrate.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't edit out the audio there, I don't know how to speed up in Virtual Dub, and Windows Live Movie Maker automatically removes audio where sped up. If you can help me work out how to speed up video while keeping the audio, that would be great! Also, I made a custom WLMM setting to reduce filesize, as I couldn't get it small enough without halving the bitrate.
Hmmmm, well that might be a better question for the tech fort but you might be able to do things a bit easier via avisynth (though I know it can be sometimes cumbersome if you're dealing with a capture card that outputs mpeg2 files). What type of work flow are you using for your videos again? Or was this the same method you used for Haunted Mansion?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

-Record Video with Dazzle
-deinterlace video in Virtual Dub
-speed up sections in Movie Maker
-Record commentary in audacity while watching the final edit muted on my computer
-convert video to mp3/wav file to get audio only
-open in audacity and add to commentary track
-back in WMM add complete audio file as music track to final edited video.

That's my workflow currently.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.
Hey guys can you take a look over this and let me know where you think it needs improvement? I know the video isn't as good as it could be. The Roxio Game Recorder that we used apparently only outputs in 480, and not very well at that. We're probably going to replace with something that isn't god awful like a Dazzle for future eps.

quote:

Hello!

The Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) is a wonderful place where you can find many excellent games, such as I Am Alive, Castle Crashers and Rayman 3 HD.
There is however a darker side to the arcade, the side where users and companies upload the latest minimal effort game they've created in the hopes to make a quick buck. This ladies and gentlemen is where this LP will venture. Join me, Chaostime, and my every ready cohort Stiggs as we venture into depths unknown and play these terrible XBLA games for you, the viewing audience.

[

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
People more knowledgeable than I could give you much better advice on the technical aspect.

The main thing I'd do content-wise is explain the difference between the actual XBLArcade that has the more established quality games, and the Indie/Whatever it's called now section that is home to the horrible games. The OP pretty much lumps the two together, and it'd be a good idea to go into more detail on the latter half.

Commentary-wise, I enjoyed the video. You guys have nice relaxed commentary and do a good job with the weird-as-poo poo games you play. You may want to consider cutting updates down to one/two games an update, but others may disagree.

At any rate, I like this idea if only to see all the idiotic cash-grabs and batshit insane games some people have not only made, but had other people actually approve. There's certainly plenty of them on the service, which makes it more difficult to find the rare game on there that's actually fun and well-made.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chaostime posted:

Hey guys can you take a look over this and let me know where you think it needs improvement? I know the video isn't as good as it could be. The Roxio Game Recorder that we used apparently only outputs in 480, and not very well at that. We're probably going to replace with something that isn't god awful like a Dazzle for future eps.

I think you would be much better off trimming these to like 5 minute videos and only putting one game up per update as most of these games kind of suck and it makes watching the video a bit of a drag.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Chaostime posted:

Hey guys can you take a look over this and let me know where you think it needs improvement?

Kinda reminds me of the shovelware PS2 thread from a while back, and that's by no means a bad thing. I'd also recommend reducing the length a bit, since over 20 minutes was a bit much for a single video in this context.

Also, there's an article thing written by one of the two guys that does Silver Dollar Games that really should be linked. It's... certainly worth a read, alright.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ProfessorProf posted:

Steins;Gate test post.

The main thing I'm worried about is how to express Rintarou's dialogue; he doesn't have a sprite set, so I can't give him a talking icon like I have everyone else. I don't know if there's a better way to handle that sort of thing. His face does appear, but only in a handful of CGs.

Also, I'm taking a fair amount of creative license with the script, mostly for the sake of brevity. I don't know how well that goes over in VN LPs.

This is pretty bad and omits a ton of stuff that made Steins;Gate unique.

1. Don't edit down the script. Steins;Gate is so heavy with both obvious and non-obvious foreshadowing that it would be very easy to mess it up by paring down the text. Plus a lot of the script is pretty funny, you shouldn't edit down comedy.

2. Post links to music as the tracks change, Steins;Gate has a pretty good soundtrack.

3. Take videos of important/funny scenes. The voice acting in S;G is really good and a lot of scenes don't work as well without it. Also capture or link to videos of the two opening cutscnes.

4. The script that you have is partially unedited. Make sure you don't let any inconsistencies slip through later on. Edit the scripts yourself if you have to.

5. Make sure that you include the TIPS as they come up. Leaving these at the end of each update would be a good idea.

6. Give explanation as to how text messages are the "choices" for this game, as well as a deeper description of how the cell phone works as a gameplay element. Let the LP readers choose answers to important texts while going for as much completion as possible for the unimportant ones to unlock ring tones/cell phone backgrounds/background story/etc. As it is you haven't explained this at all in your test post and it is one of the coolest ways for player interaction in a visual novel I've seen (especially considering that a LACK of a response is also a choice). Don't try to force the true ending on a first playthrough either.

Steins;Gate is pretty drat great. If you're not willing to put as much effort into it as seorin did for his Fate/stay night LP, you probably shouldn't bother.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

jonjonaug posted:

This is pretty bad and omits a ton of stuff that made Steins;Gate unique.

I think he already started that thread

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Well, gently caress. What is it with the influx of low effort VN LPs? This isn't quite as bad as the Hatoful LP, but still.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

jonjonaug posted:

Well, gently caress. What is it with the influx of low effort VN LPs?

It's easy to do and Dangan Ronpa kind of opened the gates to VN stuff in general (not to say that orenronen hasn't put in crazy amount of effort in his own LP though)

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

jonjonaug posted:

1. Don't edit down the script. Steins;Gate is so heavy with both obvious and non-obvious foreshadowing that it would be very easy to mess it up by paring down the text. Plus a lot of the script is pretty funny, you shouldn't edit down comedy.
Wait, why would the tester omit sentences from a Visual Novel game, where the dialogue is the main part of the game? :stare: I don't even... whuh?? I can understand the need of editing things out for useless roaming around and stuff for VLP and RPG titles, but shouldn't the dialogue be the bread and butter for these types of games?

It's too bad that the poster have done their thread too early, but they could always improve on it for their later updates.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
A lot of Visual Novels like to repeat stuff over and over again, either due to the translators or just the writer themself. Fate/Stay Night is a pretty good example of something that could use a ton of garbage text sheared down. Don't know about Steins;Gate though since I haven't read it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sentrygun posted:

A lot of Visual Novels like to repeat stuff over and over again, either due to the translators or just the writer themself. Fate/Stay Night is a pretty good example of something that could use a ton of garbage text sheared down. Don't know about Steins;Gate though since I haven't read it.

The narration in Steins;Gate is nowhere near as overdone as in F/SN. Where Fate was basically a novel with pictures and music, Steins;Gate incorporates more adventure game elements in its style and presentation, so the narrative is a lot less heavy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I fixed up the screens (most under 10 kb, few exceptions) and tidied up the update.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2831

If it's all good I will go live (for reals this time).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking good to me, I think it's ready for posting. You've also chosen a game very close to my heart so I might be a little biased but oh well. :3:

Nobody said anything about my Crash Bandicoot Series test OP/test videos so I guess I'll post it as is unless there's any critiques anyone has.

edit: Posted!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 15, 2012

Sats
Sep 13, 2012

Laugh, clown,
at your broken love!
Before I go through the trouble of making the whole drat test post...

Can someone tell me if this image size is okay? I'm not sure how to get it smaller and I'm not sure if it's good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sats posted:

Can someone tell me if this image size is okay? I'm not sure how to get it smaller and I'm not sure if it's good.

You don't need 272 KB for a talking navel, no matter how unusual it is.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
If anything, I might make the images a little bigger. That's something like 20% smaller than the lowest resolution the game supports (640x480) and pretty much everyone ITF will be viewing that post on at least a 720p monitor, if not higher.

Also yeah go for high quality jpegs or something, 272k for that image is a little nuts

Also if you want a hand with that LP I would be happy to give it :3:

Sats
Sep 13, 2012

Laugh, clown,
at your broken love!
What size would you recommend? Like 15-20% bigger?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I fixed up the screens (most under 10 kb, few exceptions) and tidied up the update.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2831

If it's all good I will go live (for reals this time).

Better!

Things:

1) Spacing. Minor detail, but it goes a long way towards readibility; you want to have a carriage return after every screenshot and full line of dialog.

You posted:

Vanity check!

Good 'nuff. We'll head down stairs

: Claus has been up for a while, playing with the Dragos.

but you should have posted:

Vanity check!

Good 'nuff. We'll head down stairs

: Claus has been up for a while, playing with the Dragos.

2) A few minor missing punctuation issues. There's even one in the quote above.

3) This is an opinion of mine, so feel free to argue this point; I think you need screenshots of the battle (and all boss battles). I'd make the screenshots the main narration of the fight, and have the video be an optional thing. I also don't think we need to hear about the tactical applications of the Rolling HP Meter System just yet, although the actual best time to bring that up is not entirely clear (the same will be true of talking about the Combo system (if you're actually going to seriously demonstrate that on an emulator (god help you))). As is, though, your explanation is kinda surplus to requirement and just kinda ehhh.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Fedule posted:

Better!

Things:

1) Spacing. Minor detail, but it goes a long way towards readibility; you want to have a carriage return after every screenshot and full line of dialog.

2) A few minor missing punctuation issues. There's even one in the quote above.

3) This is an opinion of mine, so feel free to argue this point; I think you need screenshots of the battle (and all boss battles). I'd make the screenshots the main narration of the fight, and have the video be an optional thing. I also don't think we need to hear about the tactical applications of the Rolling HP Meter System just yet, although the actual best time to bring that up is not entirely clear (the same will be true of talking about the Combo system (if you're actually going to seriously demonstrate that on an emulator (god help you))). As is, though, your explanation is kinda surplus to requirement and just kinda ehhh.

Fedule pretty much summed up the points I was going to make. I am going to stand firm with him on point three, though, being a fan of screenshot boss fights; that lets you go deeper into a level of detail about the bosses, if you're aiming for a narrative style and for some bosses, a simple video will not be enough to cover it.

Make the boss fight videos optional, but still there, and have the boss fight in the update, all in screenshots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sats posted:

Oh god, has this become one of those games everyone kind of winces at whenever a test post appears yet?

Image size is fine to me though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sats posted:

Recettear

Yeah, you should probably take the screenshots at 640x480 without resizing:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SpaceDrake posted:

Also if you want a hand with that LP I would be happy to give it :3:
Weren't you planning one yourself ages ago? Not that it matters a lot but curious if I missed it. :)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

njsykora posted:

Oh god, has this become one of those games everyone kind of winces at whenever a test post appears yet?

No, as only one other person has tried.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brainamp posted:

No, as only one other person has tried.

Huh, feels like I've seen way more. Might just be because that first test post got so much talk.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

njsykora posted:

You dissin' Recettear, man? I better not be hearing anybody dissin' Recettear :colbert:

But seriously though, what's wrong with Recettear's default resolution? If they're JPGs, there shouldn't be a problem.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

You dissin' Recettear, man? I better not be hearing anybody dissin' Recettear :colbert:

But seriously though, what's wrong with Recettear's default resolution? If they're JPGs, there shouldn't be a problem.

I adore Recettear, don't mistake me here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've tried using AVISynth for my Chibi Robo vids and it's worked like a charm. When the video finishes 'baking' I'll redub the audio and repost the new vid. Anything else need changing in the meantime?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can certainly see why someone talking about LPing Recettear would cause shudders. At least with Phoenix Wright, there was a lingering consensus that there was a theoretical not-poo poo Phoenix Wright LP Concept, but the stigma it built up was equal parts the belief that no one would actually be able to go through with that without burning out (See: Mega64/no pressure, HelloWinter) and the slow buildup of low-effort abominations that several people thought they could get away with.

Recettear, though? I am not above putting aside real-life minutes to think about how an LP of [game] could be done well, and, with this... I got very little. OK, the game has a few quotable moments. But for the most part, it's just playing numbers games and engaging in repetitive, procedurally generated dungeon crawling for loot. Unless some very original Terrible-Secret-Esque narrative element is at play... it's going to get very boring, very quickly.

I'm just saying, though. By all means, someone prove me wrong. I'd be happy to look like a fool if it meant we got a good LP of Recettear out of it.

(anyone got a link to the previous test post?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fedule posted:

(anyone got a link to the previous test post?)

I think it was a video done several months back. It probably isn't worth it to crawl back.

• Locked thread