Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I hope something as superficial as ads on the lockscreen sinks it. They are already produced and sold for profit, tied to a profit making app ecosystem, shoe horn some more profit in with unavoidable ads. It will help bring the social/economic problems of our information rich consumer society to center stage.

Conventional TV needs to hurry up and die so we can pass a consumer rights bill that empowers individuals to levy advertisers for access to their personal information. You wanna charge me 300 dollars for an advertising platform, so that you can use my internet connection to make millions advertising to me?

Sorry either the platform(tablet) needs to be free or consumers deserve a cut. There is literally nothing I can do with their product as productive as Amazon is by beaming it ads. With an install base of however million Kindle varieties, Amazon gets free advertising and a load of advertisers willing to pay 50k for 3 months of rotation in a 24/7 ad space.

Had they introduced that dual display e-ink back device, I would be totally rooting for them at least pushing the envelope. This is just a futile shot across the bow of ships Amazon couldn't hope to sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

revolther posted:

I hope something as superficial as ads on the lockscreen sinks it. They are already produced and sold for profit, tied to a profit making app ecosystem, shoe horn some more profit in with unavoidable ads. It will help bring the social/economic problems of our information rich consumer society to center stage.

Conventional TV needs to hurry up and die so we can pass a consumer rights bill that empowers individuals to levy advertisers for access to their personal information. You wanna charge me 300 dollars for an advertising platform, so that you can use my internet connection to make millions advertising to me?

Sorry either the platform(tablet) needs to be free or consumers deserve a cut. There is literally nothing I can do with their product as productive as Amazon is by beaming it ads. With an install base of however million Kindle varieties, Amazon gets free advertising and a load of advertisers willing to pay 50k for 3 months of rotation in a 24/7 ad space.

Had they introduced that dual display e-ink back device, I would be totally rooting for them at least pushing the envelope. This is just a futile shot across the bow of ships Amazon couldn't hope to sink.

Is this a slashdot blog? The Fire is more than likely selling at cost or a loss. By your own admission the ads on the lock screen are superficial. They're targeting people who are too cheap to buy a full cost tablet, in which case you can live with ads on a screen you spend less than 1% of your time looking at.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2012

revolther
May 27, 2008
At launch, the original Kindle Fire was selling at a loss. As is, the new low-end Fire HD which appears to be using some less powerful components than the low-end Nexus 7(which sold at a small profit) at the same price, could presumably be produced for profit.

The 8 gigs of flash memory difference as a component cost is broken down as about an additional 7.50 per unit. So adding that, and extrapolating from the data here and allowing for some wiggle room in price means that Ad-space is probably what pushes the devices from profitable to a real money maker.

edit:

Sorry for the hyperbole, I misread, it's just rather disappointing to see another chance for serious driving competition in the hardware arena crippled by price point when it has a money printing ad service tacked on.

revolther fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 8, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

revolther posted:

At launch, the original Kindle Fire was selling at a loss. As is, the new low-end Fire HD which appears to be using some less powerful components than the low-end Nexus 7(which sold at a small profit) at the same price, could presumably be produced for profit.

The 8 gigs of flash memory difference as a component cost is broken down as about an additional 7.50 per unit. So adding that, and extrapolating from the data here and allowing for some wiggle room in price means that Ad-space is probably what pushes the devices from profitable to a real money maker.

Also, exactly when are all these people spending 200 bucks going to be considered as owning a real tablet? What makes it a real tablet? The OS? Was the Nexus 7 still not a real tablet? What's a world like with real tablets and how much do real tablets cost? Apparently the newest devices are missing the mark.

edit: If someone didn't pay for a high-end stereo, or got a v4 engine instead of v6, would they be too cheap for a real car? A real truck has a big engine, so anything less than a Diesel isn't a real truck? What kind of thinking is that?

The only person on this or the last page not calling it a real tablet is you. I believe the other poster referenced 'full-cost' tablets, which is reasonably apt.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Crackbone posted:

Is this a slashdot blog? The Fire is more than likely selling at cost or a loss. By your own admission the ads on the lock screen are superficial. They're targeting people who are too cheap to buy a full cost tablet, in which case you can live with ads on a screen you spend less than 1% of your time looking at.

Are too cheap and too poor the same in this paragraph?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Amazon did a 180: You can opt out of amazon ads for $15.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/08/amazon-has-change-of-heart-will-allow-opt-out-of-kindle-fire-hd-ads/

There are often good deals with amazon ads though, so no real reason to do this unless you are the ultra sensitive type.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The original plan was extremely deceptive and they're doing this ASAP before it ships to avoid getting the hammer dropped on them by FTC. I love the ideal of a ad-supported variation of devices, but this needs to be largest bullet point on the loving box.

If I were google, I'd drive this loving point home. Hard. They don't have a 199 tablet device. They have a 215.99 tablet.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Good news everyone the Asus lovely build issue is also present in the $500 Transformer Infinity!! :thumbsup: As of this weekend, my screen is lifting in the bottom right and upper left corners.

Amazon was cool enough to refund me $99 but would not exchange it since I've had it ~2 months. Now I need to decide whether to roll the dice with Asus' warranty program or just live with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Good news everyone the Asus lovely build issue is also present in the $500 Transformer Infinity!! :thumbsup: As of this weekend, my screen is lifting in the bottom right and upper left corners.

Amazon was cool enough to refund me $99 but would not exchange it since I've had it ~2 months. Now I need to decide whether to roll the dice with Asus' warranty program or just live with it.
Just pile some books on top of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

That's irritating. I like everything about the Asus tablets I've handled. They feel nice and high quality, but I guess the feel isn't everything.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

Try a different rep.

I had one willing to exchange my TF201 for another because it kept crashing. This was after I had it for between 6 and 7 months. They didn't have any in stock, so they gave me a 100% refund, including shipping, a free label to send it back, and I got a TF700 in it's place.

If they were willing to do that with one that old, I don't know why ~2 months should matter at all.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Using Chrome on the N7, I don't get any video playback controls on Vimeo videos embedded on web pages (example: http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/dark-vengeance-painting-chaos-hellbrute-tutorial-part-13)

Is there a plug-in or app that will let me fix this so the Vimeo stuff operates more like a Youtube video?

Also, someone on XDA figured out how to do 720p recording on the front camera: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1868962 I might give this a try, if I ever decide to take video (I've never used a front-facing camera for anything)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Whats the consensus on the ASUS Transformer TF101-A1?

I heard someone say the build quality was bad. How is it speed/performance wise?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't buy a Tegra 2 tablet in TYOOL 2012.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't buy a Tegra 2 tablet in TYOOL 2012.
Or ever, really, since Tegra 2 was pretty much garbage when it finally shipped after like a year of delays.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
For those of you buying the Kindle Fire HD 7, are you buying the 16gb now or waiting for the 32gb?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I don't do much 3D gaming but I'm pretty drat happy with my Tegra 2 Tab 8.9 running the ICS update released recently.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Trypsin posted:

I don't do much 3D gaming but I'm pretty drat happy with my Tegra 2 Tab 8.9 running the ICS update released recently.
I love my OG TF101 to death but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one now because noticeably better tablets have come out since then.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Which is the best ~10" android tablet these days?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

randyest posted:

Which is the best ~10" android tablet these days?

I'd say one of the Tegra 3 Asus models (which depends on budget I guess)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

I'd say one of the Tegra 3 Asus models (which depends on budget I guess)
Is the asus transformer infinity the top of the line? Anything new on the horizon that might challenge it?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

randyest posted:

Which is the best ~10" android tablet these days? ... Anything new on the horizon that might challenge it?

It's one inch short, but based on its internals, the 9" kindle fire will almost definitely be a contender (if you root it).

edit:
Wow, I didn't realize it wasn't being released until late November!! I don't think it's exciting enough to reveal that early, Amazon!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The difference in screen area between the 8.9" Fire HD and a Transformer is over 20%. Just something to keep in mind. It's not just 1 inch.

That being said I'm pretty annoyed at the TF700 having the same stupid screen lifting problem as the Nexus 7. Hopefully Asus gets their poo poo together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Syrinxx posted:

Hopefully Asus gets their poo poo together.

Hopefully Google brings the "we know how to make poo poo that works" talent of Motorola Mobility to bear, and we get an Android tablet that A) kicks rear end and B) doesn't have build issues.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Hopefully Asus gets their poo poo together.

Speaking as an owner of a $1000+ Zenbook Prime with little/not-so-little build quality issues marring an otherwise fantastic ultrabook... don't hold your breath :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Timby posted:

Hopefully Google brings the "we know how to make poo poo that works" talent of Motorola Mobility to bear, and we get an Android tablet that A) kicks rear end and B) doesn't have build issues.
I'd like to see a Nexus 10 from Motorola. I don't think the solution to the problem is very hard:

1. Make a 10.1" tablet at 1900x1200 or higher resolution
2. Make it not loving fall apart

Congratulations you just beat Asus

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So what are the odds the new Kindle Fires are root-able? Or is it unlikely anyone will put much effort into it if the bootloader is locked as expected?

Is it possible that putting Jelly Bean on one becomes about as difficult as jailbreaking an iPhone?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Syrinxx posted:

I'd like to see a Nexus 10 from Motorola. I don't think the solution to the problem is very hard:

1. Make a 10.1" tablet at 1900x1200 or higher resolution
2. Make it not loving fall apart

Congratulations you just beat Asus
3. Use Krait Pro instead of Tegra 3.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

bawfuls posted:

So what are the odds the new Kindle Fires are root-able? Or is it unlikely anyone will put much effort into it if the bootloader is locked as expected?

Is it possible that putting Jelly Bean on one becomes about as difficult as jailbreaking an iPhone?

Seems very likely the bootloader will be locked, considering Amazon is selling at cost/loss to get media revenue. And honestly, with the Nexus 7" I can't see a lot of people caring about hacking the Fire to do something you can already buy for ~$50 more.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
So has anyone who ordered a Treegloo case for the Nexus 7 actually gotten theirs yet, or even a shipping notification? I ordered mine on July 29. I emailed them on Monday and they replied claiming that high demand and bad weather are causing delays, but that my order will be done and shipped by the end of the week. Which is exactly what they told me when I emailed them about it in August.

Edit, here's the email:
" We sincerely apologize for the delay. We have been inundated with orders, and are working as efficiently as possible without compromising the high quality that we (and our customers) expect from our products. This higher order volume, combined with our vastly fluctuating weather conditions (most of our sealing and curing processes are natural or water-based processes), has affected our production schedule. 

We are expecting to ship your order this week. Again, I apologize for the delay. Your patience is greatly appreciated!"

Since I pack it around with me almost daily now I'm considering picking up a cheap case until the Treegloo one gets here / I give up and cancel my order. Any suggestions for a cheap Nexus 7 case?

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 14, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Talking of cases, I was whining a while back about the lack of a simple but decent quality zip pouch with a bit of padding that was available in the UK and not sold by some dubious far-east eBay account. I travel with my N7 but I don't really use it in situations where dropping it is likely.

I eventually found that Case Logic make this thing and it's pretty much a perfect fit. I've been throwing it in my rucksuck and everything has stayed well protected so far. It has enough space to fit a USB cable and cloth behind the tablet but not bigger stuff like the AC adapter, for example.

So in case (haha!) anyone else is looking for something like this, there you go.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Konjuro posted:

Any suggestions for a cheap Nexus 7 case?

Look on eBay/Amazon for the 'LuvTab', people ITT seem to like it. I got a slightly cheaper version of that and it works OK. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to be really deliberate about touching the edge of the screen, such as when you're moving icons or clearing notifications.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Konjuro posted:

So has anyone who ordered a Treegloo case for the Nexus 7 actually gotten theirs yet, or even a shipping notification? I ordered mine on July 29. I emailed them on Monday and they replied claiming that high demand and bad weather are causing delays, but that my order will be done and shipped by the end of the week. Which is exactly what they told me when I emailed them about it in August.

Edit, here's the email:
" We sincerely apologize for the delay. We have been inundated with orders, and are working as efficiently as possible without compromising the high quality that we (and our customers) expect from our products. This higher order volume, combined with our vastly fluctuating weather conditions (most of our sealing and curing processes are natural or water-based processes), has affected our production schedule. 

We are expecting to ship your order this week. Again, I apologize for the delay. Your patience is greatly appreciated!"

Since I pack it around with me almost daily now I'm considering picking up a cheap case until the Treegloo one gets here / I give up and cancel my order. Any suggestions for a cheap Nexus 7 case?

This is not something I wanted to read. I ordered 24 August and haven't heard anything since. It's been a month and half for you, that's nuts. If mine doesn't ship within a reasonable amount of time, I'm going to cancel it and order a dodo case.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I was deciding between a dodocase, treegloo, and portenzo, and I chose the latter and couldn't recommend it more. No glue like the dodocase, and it arrived in 2 weeks, as advertised.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got one of these cases http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automati...ds=nexus+7+case

No glue, light weight, doesn't feel cheap, the sleep/wake works fine, only 15 bucks, and the benefits of amazon's shipping.

I mean, it's not a handmade book case or something, but it works really well.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mr. Despair posted:

I got one of these cases http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automati...ds=nexus+7+case

No glue, light weight, doesn't feel cheap, the sleep/wake works fine, only 15 bucks, and the benefits of amazon's shipping.

I mean, it's not a handmade book case or something, but it works really well.

Seconding this.
Apparently, this very exact case goes by several different brand names.

Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Nexus 7
IVSO in the UK.

I think it was recommended in this thread before and Amazon in the UK only recently started to carry it.

So far, it's pretty, pretty, pretty good.

It's my first tablet and therefore my first sleeve/case, but it's really well thought out - two tilt levels (no swivel, though), the leather clad clamps are holding the Nexus securely in place, the clasp fits snugly without any danger of scratching the side or glass surface...

And all that for $15/GBP12.99.
Definetely worth checking out if you don't want to spend a small fortune on a solid Nexus case.
I even find myself using the hand strap on the inside of the cover flap, it's helping to keep a grip on the tablet.

Edit: No problems with the sleep/wake up magnet so far.
Some people reported that the magnet would send the tablet to sleep when the front flap is opened all the way and touching the back cover, but I can't confirm this behaviour with my case.

And in case you're wondering what the elastic band on the inside of the front flap is for
(click for huge picture)

In one of the first videos I found for the case the reviewer used the strap to reinforce the clasp when the case is closed, but this makes even more sense, especially if you're using the wide hand strap - the part that's holding the tablet won't wobble around this way.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 15, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That case rules.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

I also have that case and am quite pleased with it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
How well does the flap wake/sleep the tablet? Color me sold if isn't flaky about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How well does the flap wake/sleep the tablet? Color me sold if isn't flaky about it.

I have a variation of that case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2POAS/

The sleep/wake magnet works 100% of the time. It's a great case.