Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Recently learned that Sir Pounce is incapable of draining his anal glands when he poops, so looks like I've got that to look forward to for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

It's getting a bit boring now, Kitten is here again. I really want to Frontline him, but I don't know if Stupid Neighbour will get ants in her pants about it. I think I'll ask her when she inevitably comes over - I have a couple of spare hits.

I need to weigh him first. Their website says 1 kilo, but I'm not too sure if he is yet. If it comes down to it I'll just get a new flea comb and sit there with a bucket of water picking him over (if I can get him to sit still long enough).

His name from SN is Biscuit, but I've taken to calling him Travis Bickle. He's a psycho, but means well.

I've since discovered he hates the hoover in that it turns him into a small ginger ball of psychoticness. He forgoes all toys in order to play with my face instead. Ouch.

If you're getting tired of the cat showing up, to encourage them to keep the cat indoors you might check your local laws because a lot of places do not allow unrestrained cats outside (city of Houston comes to mind), to at least try and encourage them to keep the windows closed. God knows if it were the unquestionably moral and legal thing to do I would tell you to just keep the thing :(

If you live out in the country this wouldn't work, but it's the only thing I can think of

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
I'm in the UK and although there may be laws about not taking your pet for treatment when they're ill, there is nothing about making sure they are safe indoors when they need to be.

He's been here all day and nobody has come to retrieve him :( I thought his little girl may turn up when she came in from school*. They seem to see him as a toy.

In happy news: I'm very much closely monitoring the potential ear mite situation. He is still not scratching his ears or tipping his head. He has food and a clean loo**. A metric shitton of toys. Today I practiced my karaoke and sung him 'I Go to Sleep' Pretenders and Kinks versions, 'Straight Outta Compton' and the log song from Ren and Stimpy (one of his favourite toys is the catnip log). He seemed to like being sung to because he fell asleep on my knee.

My Nice Neighbour has a catflap and she is happy to keep an eye on him. I'm out at all hours and he's attracted by my garden wind chimes, so he knows where he can go if he gets out.

* I will feel like a complete shitheel if I take away a little girl's pussycat :( It's not her fault her parents are buttheads.

** Obviously right when I typed this he took a massive dump in the cat loo.

Edit: Ooh, I do actually have a question. As I said, he is about 4 months or so. Do I still feed him kitten food or can he have big boys' food?

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 11, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: one weird thing she's been doing is, whenever we're in the kitchen, looking at me and meowing. Maybe it's the smell of the food? I don't know. Weird, though.
So I'm still wondering about this? I don't feed her in the kitchen, but the FIRST TIME she walked into the kitchen she meowed like crazy, and still does it when I go in there. Is there something wrong with my kitchen, or is it just the smell of food that drives her nuts?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sybil's new favorite toy is my reusable shopping bag from target.

:shrug:

Aelia
May 13, 2008

toplitzin posted:

I got one for free online... some Organic company. It's that plasticy fabric and my cats love the way it crinkles. Just watch out for them getting caught in the handles.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

toplitzin posted:

My cats' new favorite toys are a pen and a piece of poster board. Despite a bin full of things I've bought for them. Cats are weird. (Naturally, I learned of their affinity for these objects while I was trying to use the posterboard to make something for work. Needless to say, it was difficult)

Video evidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQlMSCN-5s

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So, Leela has been kept in the bathroom for several days now. She's going to stay there until we get the dishwasher blocked off. She's still hiding under the bathroom counter, but she really likes scratches and pets. Like, leaning into them, loud purring, the works. How long before I should just let her roam the apartment?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Voodooschmoodoo - he's still not old enough for big boy food yet, unless it's got the 'for all life stages' thing. If he's only 1kg at 4months that's quite small (or my kittens were fatasses)

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

jrr posted:

My cats' new favorite toys are a pen and a piece of poster board. Despite a bin full of things I've bought for them. Cats are weird.

For some reason, small fluffy toys get my cats interest. He's on his second kong brand daddy pom pom legs. The previous one he reduced to the velcro strap that holds the catnip inside. He punted it over the couch earlier today, wish I got it on video. Only time he seems remotely vicious.

The first time he destroyed one of the poofy legs I was worried about him eating it and getting blocked, then I found the fluff he pulled off all over the couch, some of it under the cushion.

My sisters cats on the other hand are only interested in the plastic rings off of milk bottles. Which in my experience is more normal. It's kind of strange really, only cat I've known in a while who prefers the fluffy storebought toys over shopping bags and milk container rings. I'm never sure if some of his behavior is odd or not because every cat I've known since I've been alive has been different. The ones I knew before I was alive I don't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jex7ACKYqFw

Edit: Forgot the odd behavior example. There are times when he'll be in my lap and I'll be talking, either because I'm on the phone, commenting on something on the TV, or just out of my mind and he'll try to knead me and miss. Then paw right on the mouth. Like he's telling me to stop talking. Pretty sure he's just trying to knead and misses since he's tried to knead me in the face before but still...

Steezo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 13, 2012

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Steezo posted:

Edit: Forgot the odd behavior example. There are times when he'll be in my lap and I'll be talking, either because I'm on the phone, commenting on something on the TV, or just out of my mind and he'll try to knead me and miss. Then paw right on the mouth. Like he's telling me to stop talking. Pretty sure he's just trying to knead and misses since he's tried to knead me in the face before but still...

Hugo also does this foot-in-mouth thing, maybe it's a derpy fluffball breed feature :iiam:

He doesn't tend to do it with talking though, he likes to do it when I'm nearly asleep. If he's not at the foot of the bed he likes to sleep curled up against my shoulder, which unfortunately brings him into RELENTLESS VIOLENT FACE SUCK :black101: range and he'll try to go my cheeks or earlobes. If I move away from his horrible attempts to slurp/bite on me, I get a paw in my face or right in my mouth. Sometimes he sticks his paw up my nose when I'm nearly asleep.

Come to think of it I'm not actually sure why I let him sleep there.

Edit: \/\/\/ :gonk:

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 13, 2012

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Voodooschmoodoo - he's still not old enough for big boy food yet, unless it's got the 'for all life stages' thing. If he's only 1kg at 4months that's quite small (or my kittens were fatasses)

Oh, he is bigger than 1 kilo. I think he is about two but I can't remember now. I can't re-weigh him at the mo because:

OH MY GOD, THE FLEAS. THEY ARE FAR WORSE THAN I THOUGHT.

gently caress my loving crappy neighbour. I woke up this morning to find my bed literally full of flea eggs. He likes to sleep on my face, which is kind of inconvenient and is also gross.

Bed is hoovered, kitten is Frontlined. His new name is Greasy Fleabag.

edit: he helped type this post. Ick, I can't stop itching. He is pissed off now on account of his greasy Frontline spot.

other edit: I just realised if they take him back within the next few days, I'm going to have a major flea outbreak soon. I've always found those carpet treatments to be utterly useless.

other other edit: oh god, it's like rats (dying fleas) leaving the sinking ship. I'm gonna have to sleep on the sofa and hoover (and possibly napalm) in a day or so because it's pointless right now. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to wake up covered in dead fleas and eggs. Poor little bugger is all super itchy. I was woken up this morning to a flea biting my cheek. The things we do for pussycats.

I will fight the good fight. Against the fleas.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 13, 2012

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Oh, he is bigger than 1 kilo. I think he is about two but I can't remember now. I can't re-weigh him at the mo because:

OH MY GOD, THE FLEAS. THEY ARE FAR WORSE THAN I THOUGHT.

gently caress my loving crappy neighbour. I woke up this morning to find my bed literally full of flea eggs. He likes to sleep on my face, which is kind of inconvenient and is also gross.

Bed is hoovered, kitten is Frontlined. His new name is Greasy Fleabag.

edit: he helped type this post. Ick, I can't stop itching. He is pissed off now on account of his greasy Frontline spot.

other edit: I just realised if they take him back within the next few days, I'm going to have a major flea outbreak soon. I've always found those carpet treatments to be utterly useless.

other other edit: oh god, it's like rats (dying fleas) leaving the sinking ship. I'm gonna have to sleep on the sofa and hoover (and possibly napalm) in a day or so because it's pointless right now. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to wake up covered in dead fleas and eggs. Poor little bugger is all super itchy. I was woken up this morning to a flea biting my cheek. The things we do for pussycats.

I will fight the good fight. Against the fleas.

That sucks, and yeah it's totally like rats fleeing a ship. Luckily their flea outbreak wasn't that bad, but yeah dead and dying fleas were turning up everywhere. Frontline worked for us too, though :)

Logan pooped right outside of his litterbox again today. We've also caught him peeing on my roommate's towel once, though we think that was him marking his territory (though maybe not, they're probably 7-9 weeks or so.) We keep the litterbox clean and he's used it, so why is he sometimes deciding he doesn't want to poop in it? Is it because it's kept in a trunk? Like is it too dark or smelly in there or something? Is something wrong with him? :ohdear: his brother, Oskar, has used it fine.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a little cat, Niko, and he's about 2 years old now. We had him in Iowa and we have moved to Idaho and he's been fine. Playful and all that stuff.

Well sometimes when we get up quickly or go down/up the stairs he'll follow us as if we're playing when we're just going up or down the stairs. Well, the other day I got up to go downstairs and he took off running away to hide which I thought was strange. Well, it turns out he stayed hidden behind the washer and dryer for a few hours! He has never gone back there as far as I know. He was terrified! It was as if we had shown him some unspeakable horror and he's afraid to come out. This was all last night at about 7:30.

I grabbed him and we got him out, but ever since then he's been a skiddish little guy. The slightest movement scares him, he slinks close to the ground and he keeps looking at the doors/corners/hidey spots as if there is something there to get him. I have no idea what caused this sudden change in behavior.

What could cause Niko to become a terrified cat in his own home? Why would he go to hiding spots he has never been to? We've made sure he has food, water, and we hold and cuddle him, but what else can we do to get him to not be so scared?

Thanks!

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

Oh Jeebus. My cunty neighbours were here a moment ago ringing my bell and hammering on the window. I did the completely mature thing and hid with the pussycat. I have no idea what to do. He's been here 2 days and this is the first time they've bothered to show. I guess they miss their toy. I always intended on giving him back if they showed, but now they're just taking the piss.

What do I do? I've taken him back several times. poo poo, maybe they'll call tha cops and wring their hands at them on the phone: OMG, OUR EVIL, CRAZY NEIGHBOUR IS A CATNAPPER.

In happy news: he is a LOT better after his flea treatment. He's been a lot more relaxed.

edit: OK I realise I sound like a crazy cat lady here and will have to hand him back if they call again. I just wanted him to be safe :(

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 13, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Wait do they KNOW that you have their cat or can you just lie to them.

I am hangin on my back porch with a neighborhood stray that I'm totally going to nab, neuter and possibly keep. Him name Mushroom. I can't bring him in yet because he still won't let me touch him, how can I help him be more comfortable outside? Can I put some old lovely blankets out or something, someplace out of the rain?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh god, my cat is such an rear end in a top hat. She has found a new way to wake me up at will by purposely stepping on the keyboard of my laptop when I fall asleep while leaving it on my bedside table playing a movie or a TV show or something. The laptop doesn't go to sleep when I do this, and so when Jackie steps on the keyboard by accident she'll trip all kinds of hotkeys and maybe open a random program or something - but it inevitably results in that continuous dinging noise Windows makes when an ineffective key is held down after a warning window of some sort comes up. Which is a noise that ALWAYS causes me to wake up in a panic.

So basically, she recently discovered how to do this on purpose. After an exhausting day recently I had only been asleep for about 2 hours when she started doing it repeatedly for no particular reason. This is annoying because we usually have a very respectful relationship and she's generally more respectful than this. And she has a dozen other ways to wake me up, too - it's like she wanted to use the most alarming possible method! Cats :argh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie took two weeks before she would even be in the same room as me, and then comes running up to the pet sitter a few minutes after they arrive for their first real visit. Silly kitty.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Picked up the Catit fountain for Darkly. It's a newer model, with a base wider than the mouth, and blue top.
The thing is as quiet as one of those desktop Zen waterfall/fountains asians sell at flea markets, though not nearly as pretty.

I've yet to actually catch him drinking from it, but the indicator appears to be going down faster than evaporation would suggest.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 14, 2012

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
SHE'S EATING ON HER OWN! :neckbeard:

I last tube fed her yesterday morning, then around lunchtime I got a text from the gf and a picture of Eew chowing down. She ate about 1 1/2 cans yesterday, and today she's had 1 so far. She just cleans her plate...I'm so relieved. So goddamn relieved.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My cat was all stretched out and sleeping on the floor today. drat, he's almost four feet long from fingers to toes when he's like that and he's only one year old.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

HPL posted:

My cat was all stretched out and sleeping on the floor today. drat, he's almost four feet long from fingers to toes when he's like that and he's only one year old.

I will never quite understand how cats can almost change their relative size at will. There are time when my cat stretches out and she's just absurdly long, I'm not sure if she's four feet, but still. And then she can also curl up into this little ball with her head and legs all tucked away, where I swear she's less than a foot in diameter. And she really looks and feels like a much smaller cat in that position. It's one of my favorite cat-skills.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Oncoming Storm posted:

SHE'S EATING ON HER OWN! :neckbeard:

I last tube fed her yesterday morning, then around lunchtime I got a text from the gf and a picture of Eew chowing down. She ate about 1 1/2 cans yesterday, and today she's had 1 so far. She just cleans her plate...I'm so relieved. So goddamn relieved.

I too know this feeling, and it is the best goddamn feeling. Happy for you :neckbeard: :radcat:

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
My husband and I have been having issues with feeding our cats. Basically, we have one that we think is overweight and one that is uber skinny.

First off, cat stats. Both are a bit over a year and neutered. We got the male in February, he's always been pretty skinny and we've had issues with diarrhea before so he has to be fed special food (Science diet i/d), which seems to be helping tremendously. But he's still underweight (his waist is readily visible and he barely has any fat on his ribs) and a peckish eater. We adopted the female around May, she gets fed whatever decent dry food we can get at the moment meaning she's been fed wellness, science diet or purina depending on what we have coupons for and if we get stuck buying at a regular grocer. She had kittens before we adopted her and was spayed right when we brought her home, and she's ballooned since then. This cat will seriously eat anything and, when we went away for our wedding/honeymoon, chewed a hole into the bag of food within a day.

We need to somehow find a way to even out their weights-have the boy gain some and the girl lose some. We try to feed them separately but usually end up leaving out his food because he eats maybe a few nibbles at a time and the girl usually ends up eating some of it.

Any tactics for getting them to normal weights despite their opposite eating habits?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Timed feedings, separate rooms. If you still feel you need to free feed, is there a decent difference in size? You could put skinny's food in a carrier or box or something with a hole too small for fatty to sneak into.(or a higher ledge, etc)

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Timed feedings, separate rooms. If you still feel you need to free feed, is there a decent difference in size? You could put skinny's food in a carrier or box or something with a hole too small for fatty to sneak into.(or a higher ledge, etc)

We usually feed them separately twice a day (before work and when we get home) but skinny will only nibble and then keep begging for food all night if we take it away. I think part of it is he doesn't like this food, but it's either the gross food or gross poops for him. I don't think we have any spaces our fatty can't get to and he can.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

My one year old cat used to love to be petted on my computer desk and on her cat tree nearby. Now, sometimes when I try to pet her in either place, she bites me and sometimes, even hisses if I don't stop quickly enough. She is not drawing blood, but she is clearly saying "stop" and calms down once I do. I have no idea why. She does not do it every time, I don't see any obvious pattern.

She is still happy to be played with and petted elsewhere. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this sort of change in behavior? I am sure you'll need more information but I don't know what else to add.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arkham Angel posted:

We usually feed them separately twice a day (before work and when we get home) but skinny will only nibble and then keep begging for food all night if we take it away. I think part of it is he doesn't like this food, but it's either the gross food or gross poops for him. I don't think we have any spaces our fatty can't get to and he can.
Can you make one? I was thinking of getting a big Rubbermaid tub (kind of like the DIY litterbox thing) and cutting a hole small enough to fit Skinny in, but not Tons of Fun.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Can you make one? I was thinking of getting a big Rubbermaid tub (kind of like the DIY litterbox thing) and cutting a hole small enough to fit Skinny in, but not Tons of Fun.

I guess we could try, though she is REALLY food motivated and it wouldn't surprise me if she found a way to get to it anyway. Also, I thought the head/chest area was really what determined the spaces a cat can squeeze through?

Looking at the body sizes on the first page I'd say he's probably about a 3 and she's probably about a 7.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maybe you guys can quell my fears.

I desperately want to get a cat after not living with any for 5 years. I have a living situation that accepts it, and a job that offers free veterinary care and a discount on pet food. I'm just really, really concerned about getting a cat and having it eat something when we're not home. I'm trying to cat-proof the place as best as I can but I still see places they can get into and make a mess of - my desk, my yarn basket, basically anything on the floor.

My family has 3 cats and I grew up with cats, but I've been horribly spooked after having our one cat, Bonus. When I say he gets into things it's an understatement. When he was younger he ate 3 feet of upholstery thread and had to have major surgery. Just yesterday he managed to eat some sunflower seed shells. He knows how to take waffles out of toasters, open doors and somehow, I have no clue, he knows how to open jars to get food inside of them. He pulls books off of the bookshelf to chew them. Paper towels? Bread in bags? They all have to go on the highest shelf possible so he doesn't eat it. He'll eat the food right off of your fork if you don't pay attention. Finally, after dealing with this for years (he's 13 and has been like this his entire life), he's on thyroid medication for hyperthyroid and it's gotten slightly better.

I guess I'm not sure how unusual this is. Our other cats we've had were not nearly as bad - thinking about it, our oldest cat I don't think has ever gotten into anything she wasn't supposed to. My mother is severely obsessive compulsive so the house I grew up in had absolutely nothing on the floor for the most part.

Do any of you have recommendations on what I should cat-proof before bringing a cat into the home? Maybe a checklist or something? We're definitely getting an adult cat and live in a 2nd story apartment.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Shnooks posted:

Do any of you have recommendations on what I should cat-proof before bringing a cat into the home? Maybe a checklist or something? We're definitely getting an adult cat and live in a 2nd story apartment.

If it helps the only cat I've know that was anywhere near this food motivated was the family calico, Cal, who was a poor starving kitten once, once, and never forgot for the rest of her life. Every other cat I've known has had a much more relaxed behavior around food. So you're not as likely to find another cat that food motivated and making sure they get the best quality food can reduce that food motivation if you do win that lottery twice. Which might happen since cats seem to pick people when you walk into the enclosure at the shelter rather than the other way around...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Steezo posted:

If it helps the only cat I've know that was anywhere near this food motivated was the family calico, Cal, who was a poor starving kitten once, once, and never forgot for the rest of her life. Every other cat I've known has had a much more relaxed behavior around food. So you're not as likely to find another cat that food motivated and making sure they get the best quality food can reduce that food motivation if you do win that lottery twice. Which might happen since cats seem to pick people when you walk into the enclosure at the shelter rather than the other way around...

Well that's good to know :ohdear:. I just can't deal with having a cat that's going to munch on plastic bags and books when I turn around.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Sully likes to tear up paper, but I don't think he ever eats it. Just don't leave out anything that they can really swallow like twist ties, hair bands, rubber bands, plastic bags, etc.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Shnooks posted:

Well that's good to know :ohdear:. I just can't deal with having a cat that's going to munch on plastic bags and books when I turn around.

The chances of this kind of behavior are reduced if you go in looking for an older cat. Ask to see their older, chilled out cats and you'll likely get a lazy well behaved house kitty. :)

As long as you don't leave anything ladyweapon mentions hanging around, you don't have much to worry about. Adult cats spend most of the day sleeping anyway.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Thanks everyone. You think I'd know about this stuff already after owning about 5 cats, but Bonus is a nutcase. I love him dearly but I can't deal with such a special snowflake cat like him, Aaaaaa.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shnooks posted:

Wires. Definitely cat-proof your entertainment center and/or PC setup.
Darkly doesn't do this, but my old cat loved to pounce and bite them.

Possible methods:
- Keep them bundled together at least 1-3 feet off the ground
- Channel them together into a PVC pipe to cover most of them
- Wrap 'em in aluminum foil. Cats generally can't stand the poo poo
- Keep the space for the wires too narrow for a cat to squeeze into

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I just got off the phone with a vet about my 14 year old cat Trixie. It's not good. I got Trixie a few months ago from a friend since it was a pretty stressful environment due to a new dog. Since then, Trixie hasn't eaten well. She lost a lot of weight, but was otherwise fine. Within the past 2 days, she's been throwing up alot. It just looks like water. Tonight, she has been acting extremely lethargic as well as being barely able to move, dizzy, and weak. She can't get a sure footing even just standing up. She refuses to touch everything I put in front of her. The vet mentioned several different things could be causing it, including kidney failure. She needs blood work which isn't possible until Monday. She suggested force feeding her aluminum hydroxide and corn syrup until then, but I don't think that's going to work since she spit out the food that I put in her mouth. She is the only vet taking calls on a Saturday night within an hour's drive, and car rides are extraordinarily stressful for Trixie.

I'm not expecting her to last until Monday. I don't know if she's suffering or in pain or anything and I desperately want to do something for her. I feel like I'm just waiting for her to die in the next 24 hours and I hate that.

love ya trixie

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 16, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is there not an emergency vet anywhere near you at all?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

ladyweapon posted:

Is there not an emergency vet anywhere near you at all?

No, it's rural Ohio. The best I could get was an on call vet, but she can't really do anything without bloodwork.

She puked up the corn syrup/antacid combo. :smith:

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I've got a cat pee problem.

We occasionally have a friend stay at our house, and we have a sleeping bag for her. The sleeping bag was on top of a blanket, and my cat had an accident on the sleeping bag and it soaked all the way through to the blanket. (He is normally excellent about using the litter box, but our other cat really takes her time in it and he couldn't hold it. We have two litter boxes but he refuses to use the other one.)

Before I had a chance to spot clean with Nature's Miracle, my boyfriend stuck both the sleeping bag and the blanket in the washer, and then dried them. Now every square inch of the sleeping bag and the blanket reek.

I hung them out on the clothesline and doused them both in Nature's Miracle but it didn't seem to help at all. Before I try this again, does anyone else have any ideas? That stuff is expensive and I don't want to waste it if I don't have to. They've been on the clothesline for about three days and still smell awful.