Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chachi posted:

Which means now Koei needs to get From Software on the phone and license Solaire, Laurentius, Siegmeyer and Tarkus for the next crossover title :syoon:
Oh my god. They'd fit in perfectly. Also Sieglinde can be there for the necessary moe slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omp2
Sep 15, 2012

by T. Mascis
I don't care for the crossovers personally. The characters make a lot more sense in their own place and time. They're a part of it, and it's a part of them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's never stopped people from showing up-Lu Bu was a secret opponent in Samurai Warriors 1, for instance. A little thing, to be sure. Even so, it feels like they might have wanted this for a bit.

I look forward to seeing the Dynasty/Samurai/Northstar Warriors crossover.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game where you were able to create your own character?

It was definitely 4. Me and my friend put so many hours into that game, and I was using a created character. We 100%ed that game, and had even more fun with the opening movie editor.

The last Dynasty Warriors game I played was 5, so I'm looking into possibly getting 7 at some point. Since there's an Xtreme Legends, do I just need to get that? Or is it like just an expansion pack that requires the original game in order to play Musou mode?
E: The main dude I used in 5 fought with nunchaku, I can't remember his name for the life of me. Anyone have any ideas, and is he available in 7?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

MissileWaster posted:

E: The main dude I used in 5 fought with nunchaku, I can't remember his name for the life of me. Anyone have any ideas, and is he available in 7?

That's Ling Tong. He's in 7, although he's not nearly as ridiculous in terms of power.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh my god. They'd fit in perfectly. Also Sieglinde can be there for the necessary moe slot.

You could really make a case for a ton of Souls characters to show up in a musou game: Biorr, Patches, Logan and Quelana are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head who have enough personality or visually interesting design to fit the bill. Heck, even some of the humanoid bosses would work - considering Gyuki and Dodomeki, you could easily shove Ornstein and Smough in.

EDIT: And considering the whole "the fabric of reality is really thin" justification the Souls games use to justify their multiplayer mechanics you literally need only the flimsiest of excuses to have them show up. Yeah, Solaire wants to gently caress up some evildoers in crazy bizarro Chinapan, what of it? :colbert:

Chachi fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 15, 2012

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

MissileWaster posted:

The last Dynasty Warriors game I played was 5, so I'm looking into possibly getting 7 at some point. Since there's an Xtreme Legends, do I just need to get that? Or is it like just an expansion pack that requires the original game in order to play Musou mode?
It's an expansion pack that requires the original game in order to play Musou mode. I'm not certain because I don't have any friends, but I believe XL is required to play campaign in coop.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
I dream of a King Arthur-themed Warriors game. Lancelot, Arthur, and all their friends wrecking poo poo up.

(Robin Hood is a secret character.)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Exasperated Badger posted:

I dream of a King Arthur-themed Warriors game. Lancelot, Arthur, and all their friends wrecking poo poo up.

(Robin Hood is a secret character.)

I have told my buddies this forever and I want to echo this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Today was a good day for me, a bad day for my bank account.

After mowing my grandma's yard I decided to swing by the Gamestop in NC to see if they had any Warriors games I could pick up, since the one in my town is completely dry. I managed to snag DW7, 7XL, and WO2 for PSP. All three of them together set me back roughly 80 bucks, all three were used because hey it's cheaper.

I may have to wait until next paycheck for the DW7 DLC though, even considering I'm going to skip the stuff like music tracks and whatnot and just get stage and weapon packs. It'll still set me back quite a bit though I'm sure.

So yeah, I've finally gotten to play 7, and it's pretty great. Definitely great after how disappointing I found 6 to be. I'm still having trouble getting the hang of the new mechanics, but it's nothing too difficult. Though I do have a question. I purchased Attack Up ++ with Dian Wei, is this a passive skill that you don't equip? It didn't show up on my seal list so that's my assumption, but I just wanted to check and make sure.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I do have a question. I purchased Attack Up ++ with Dian Wei, is this a passive skill that you don't equip? It didn't show up on my seal list so that's my assumption, but I just wanted to check and make sure.

You're correct, anything you purchase with a character's growth points is a passive expansion that is always in effect.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

Hell, doesn't even need to be a political figure either.

Imagine if Bruce Lee was in a Warriors game? :swoon:

Guan Suo. Ling Tong.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just in case y'all didn't see it, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 and the brand new Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper are coming to Wii U.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone really needs to remind them that one-on-one boss battles aren't fun in Warriors games. Shame it seems completely bloodless too, unlike the TV series.

Have they made any mention of how far the story mode goes?

I dont know for sure but Im almost positive Ive seen videos with Marineford in it, so Ill assume it goes all the way to the end of the Grand Line.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Just in case y'all didn't see it, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 and the brand new Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper are coming to Wii U.
Weird, I wonder who the COMPLETELY new characters are? From the way they said it it sounds like characters not from any other Musou game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

God drat it. And it looks like it's a launch game too. Looks like I'll be buying a Wii U earlier than expected...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This was a while back but, I don't think DW should end with 7. But they do need to bring back the difficulty of the older games if (when) they continue.

I was playing WO1 a few weeks ago and it's almost impossible to start a fresh save on normal. That's the thing I miss the most.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird, I wonder who the COMPLETELY new characters are? From the way they said it it sounds like characters not from any other Musou game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they include Nintendo cameos. Fighting off demons and the Chinese/Japanese allied forces with Luigi and his trusty vacuum would be hilarious. :swoon:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they include Nintendo cameos. Fighting off demons and the Chinese/Japanese allied forces with Luigi and his trusty vacuum would be hilarious. :swoon:
That would be pretty far out there even compared to Orochi's current cast, but maybe Marth or someone?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Link or Ganondorf would be pretty :black101: too.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Samus would probably work out pretty well for a Musou Character too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmbFIUF74c

Duel Mode looks hype!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You know that that is how the Musou series started, right? It has appeared in various Musou games since then, and it always sucks as far as I know. It's the reason they moved to the current style of gameplay in the first place, they suck at doing one-on-one.

From the video, it doesn't look like it adds anything worthwhile to me, other than supposed new characters.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2012

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

An all Lu Bu army. :swoon:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

GoatLord posted:

An all Lu Bu army. :swoon:

Musou Battlefield is in the PS3/XBox360 version with this exact option. But the feature is really weird and no one uses it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know that that is how the Musou series started, right? It has appeared in various Musou games since then, and it always sucks as far as I know. It's the reason they moved to the current style of gameplay in the first place, they suck at doing one-on-one.

From the video, it doesn't look like it adds anything worthwhile to me, other than supposed new characters.

I just really love gimmicky card-based fighting systems ALA SNK Card Fighters/MvC3 Heroes and Heralds.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OneDeadman posted:

Samus would probably work out pretty well for a Musou Character too.

As long as it isn't the "Other M" Samus :v:.

I was curious...does anyone use block while playing a Warriors game?

As for WO3 Hyper, between this and Bayonetta 2, I think the Wii U has officially moved onto my "would like to get" list

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SirPhoebos posted:

I was curious...does anyone use block while playing a Warriors game?

The only reason the block button ever gets used is because it is also the reposition camera button.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I sometimes use it on higher difficulties to block the trash musou attacks if it's too late to get out of the way. So almost never.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think most action games are like that, there's a block feature but it hardly ever gets used because dodging is almost always better. Demon's/Dark Souls is the only counterexample I can really think of.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I'll block in a duel situation in 7, or when coming out of an attack that tosses around my camera to re-position and block any trash attacks. Otherwise? Nope. Unless I'm deliberately drawing out the fight for whatever reason, offense is the best defense.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think most action games are like that, there's a block feature but it hardly ever gets used because dodging is almost always better. Demon's/Dark Souls is the only counterexample I can really think of.

Wrestling games if they count as action games in this argument. Blocking/Countering is a fundamental aspect of the system and usually open the window for offensive return fire. Basically blocking needs to reward the player for doing so beyond 'you avoid damage' to be worth the time.

Wheresmy5bucks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2012

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I feel like I'm cheating by using Combat Resistance seals. Feels like it breaks the game. Even without them, though, I rarely block.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Isn't WO3 Hyper based on the PSP version?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I couldn't take the suspense and found out who the two new characters for WO3 Hyper are by using Google. They seem pretty okay I guess, though I would have preferred someone from a series not already represented, and the other one sounds like he has an interesting fighting style in theory but who knows how it plays out.

The two characters are Rachel from Ninja Gaiden and Seimei Abe, spoilered just in case some people might want to be surprised.

The GIG posted:

Isn't WO3 Hyper based on the PSP version?

Apparently it is.

Just wanted to mention I've been slowly going through the 2010 Three Kingdoms series and it's pretty good. It's a bit strange seeing Cao Cao being soft-spoken and treating Liu Bei like a close friend rather than looking shady and uncaring. It was the same way in the novel too, he wasn't portrayed in the best of light there either but he certainly had his good points. I wonder why the DW games try and make him out to be a huge jerkass.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Argh gently caress you, Koei. Still not getting a Wii U.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't even know what a Wii U is so I'll just wait for the next 360/PS3 release.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

I don't even know what a Wii U is so I'll just wait for the next 360/PS3 release.
Well, one thing we've never had to worried about in this series is console exclusivity, their 3d engine sure is a piece of poo poo in most respects but it appears to be extremely portable.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just wanted to mention I've been slowly going through the 2010 Three Kingdoms series and it's pretty good. It's a bit strange seeing Cao Cao being soft-spoken and treating Liu Bei like a close friend rather than looking shady and uncaring. It was the same way in the novel too, he wasn't portrayed in the best of light there either but he certainly had his good points. I wonder why the DW games try and make him out to be a huge jerkass.
Both the games and the TV series are based on the novel (plus it's easier to Flanderize Cao Cao to "ambition" and Liu Bei to "virtue", Ma Chao to "justice", et al., instead of giving them shades of gray), but the director and actor Chen Jianbin specifically wanted to diverge from the novel and treat him with a modern perspective.

Mind you, the later Sun family arcs and Lu Su are also divergent...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

Both the games and the TV series are based on the novel (plus it's easier to Flanderize Cao Cao to "ambition" and Liu Bei to "virtue", Ma Chao to "justice", et al., instead of giving them shades of gray), but the director and actor Chen Jianbin specifically wanted to diverge from the novel and treat him with a modern perspective.

Mind you, the later Sun family arcs and Lu Su are also divergent...

This. Koei figured out that in a game about plowing through hundreds of soldiers in a mission, the best tone to go for is melodramatic and incredibly hammy, which makes presenting a nuanced picture of the characters difficult.

EDIT:

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the God of War series, the block function is pretty important because there are some attacks that can't be effectively dodged, and the addition of a strong counter actually makes it preferable when you are able to master it.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 18, 2012

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently there's a Chronicles 2 coming, I pray it comes to the states and gives me a reason to dust off my 3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

In the God of War series, the block function is pretty important because there are some attacks that can't be effectively dodged, and the addition of a strong counter actually makes it preferable when you are able to master it.
I dunno, I can't remember any un-dodgable attacks (because your dodge-roll thing is so long range), but plenty of unblockable attacks, and the counterattack isn't as good as just doing a normal attack string after dodging, I think.