Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because JL was greenlit before The Batman was, so there were no Batman shows airing at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They also wrote the Joker out of the picture after one appearance to spare the apparently brain dead public confusion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

They also wrote the Joker out of the picture after one appearance to spare the apparently brain dead public confusion.

Well, the embargo came down hard once the show retooled into JLU. I think they were at one point going to do Oracle, or at least have Batgirl in the show, so Simone could do her Birds of Prey episode. Instead, the only Bat-characters in JLU were Huntress and a 1-second cameo from Nightwing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the embargo came down hard once the show retooled into JLU. I think they were at one point going to do Oracle, or at least have Batgirl in the show, so Simone could do her Birds of Prey episode. Instead, the only Bat-characters in JLU were Huntress and a 1-second cameo from Nightwing.

The only thing I can find about a Birds episode is this message board post from (allegedly) Bruce Timm that the DCAU wiki links to:

Bruce Timm posted:

nightwing only had a TINY cameo in the original premise...

short version:
barbara gets injured, batman says "rest up, get well, NO CRIME-FIGHTING, YOUNG LADY" -- she's not just in a wheelchair, she's in traction -- barbara gets restless, defies batman's orders and starts working on this week's nefarious plot on her computer (some nonsense about kirk langstrom creating an army of man-bats) -- she realizes she needs "mobile" help, calls dick grayson -- cut to dick's apartment, where he's making out like crazy with some gorgeous new gal, the phone rings and rings and rings, he distractedly picks up the phone (still making out), barbara starts to talk, he doesn't even hear her, just drops the phone back on the cradle, barbara gives her phone the stink-eye and growls, "DICK!"

(at which point barbara recruits black canary and huntress to be her "field agents" and she herself assumes a temporary "oracle"-type role -- the army of man-bats gets their butts soundly kicked, yada yada yada....and for the record, gail simone had nothing whatsoever to do with that version of the story....all in all, "double date" is a MUCH better story)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Dick not being a man-slut was a great loss for DCAU canon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:qq: My fictional vicarious promiscuity :qq:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PicklePants posted:

Why? They got Justice League: Unlimited made just by showing Cartoon Network the toy line and how many new characters they were adding when CN was looking to cancel, because of how much the show cost to produce.

of course, Spidey could be far less.. blatant about it. I did like the BatB episode where he used his Street Louge, though!

Sorry if my response was too vague; in the phrase "it's terrible but it's for kids!", the "it's terrible" part is the reprehensible portion I was responding to (and the implied "we could maybe do better but we aren't even even gonna bother because :effort:, just let the dumb little shits watch a 22-minute toy ad and get their parents to throw :20bux: at us" rider).

When passionate, talented producers like the aforementioned B:TAS and BatB showrunners are involved you can have your cake and eat it too, everybody wins! Of course money's the bottom line, doesn't mean it has to be the only line.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 22, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hey when is Young Justice going to start up again, I've been missing it so much after the break :smith:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey when is Young Justice going to start up again, I've been missing it so much after the break :smith:

The 29th, I think. Sometime this month, anyway.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is Green Lantern on break too, or did it just have a shorter season?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Veotax posted:

Is Green Lantern on break too, or did it just have a shorter season?

Second half starts same day as YJ. Will probably finish earlier though because GL started airing against what were technically Season 1 episodes of YJ.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Just saw the screener for Dark Knight Returns Part 1.

Its great considering its basically a word for word transition of the original work. The animation is solid and the voicework grows on you.

One glaring omission though is:

Superman doesn't show up at all, which is actually leading me to think that he's not even going to be included. This might be a mandate from the higher ups that they can't have Supes be portrayed as a government flunkie right before Man of Steel comes out. Should be interesting to see how this alters the ending

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Its great considering its basically a word for word transition of the original work. The animation is solid and the voicework grows on you.

Superman doesn't show up at all, which is actually leading me to think that he's not even going to be included. This might be a mandate from the higher ups that they can't have Supes be portrayed as a government flunkie right before Man of Steel comes out. Should be interesting to see how this alters the ending

Could it possibly be just because its Part 1? Its been a while since I've read it but he doesn't really show up in the book until after the Joker is dead doesn't he?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Could it possibly be just because its Part 1? Its been a while since I've read it but he doesn't really show up in the book until after the Joker is dead doesn't he?

He pretty consistently showed up throughout the book, checking in as Bruce as Clark Kent from what I can recall. The movie covers the first two issues of DKR, ending right when Joker "wakes up", and I'm sure Superman had appeared a few times before that happened.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Granted, it might be hard to work in those random Superman scenes without breaking up the story's flow, especially with no payoff in the first half. It's not like they establish all that much anyway. Superman is the boy scout, listens to the President, etc etc etc. Batman isn't. While they may set the tone for later, the movie itself has the added benefit of music, voice work, and editing tricks to do that too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just flipped through my copy of DKR and in the first two parts Superman shows up a total of twice, one on an answering machine and another time "off camera" talking to Reagan.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

muscles like this? posted:

I just flipped through my copy of DKR and in the first two parts Superman shows up a total of twice, one on an answering machine and another time "off camera" talking to Reagan.
I'm guessing we're not getting Max Headroom Reagan either...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

E the Shaggy posted:

Superman is in part 2, Mark Valley is voicing him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dacap posted:

Superman is in part 2, Mark Valley is voicing him.

Let it never be said that Andrea Romano doesn't do her loving job. Mark Valley, man, that's the loving perfect casting for Dark Knight Returns Superman.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Seeing the fantastic Dark Knight Returns animated movie (part 1) just reminded me how poo poo Rises was.

An intelligent Batman using his mind, planning and the environment to negate his opponents advantages and his own disadvantages. Not some plot-driven lunacy where his only plan is to not use any tactics at all and hope he can win a fight.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So maybe it's because I watch too many cartoons in general, but I really, really dislike the way the DKR movie looks. It's too clean, too on-model... I realize that reproducing Millar's art style in animated format would be a severe pain in the neck, especially if you've got an established group of artists who don't feel comfortable working outside of their usual groove, but come onnn. Animation's a versatile-rear end format. Quit making everything look so... normal. The way they combine their slick, filmic visual style with the original art just makes things look WEIRD. See also: Fake Mahnke Superman in VS Elite, Fake McGuiness Superman and Batman in Public Enemies, etc. I'd almost prefer it if they just straight up did original takes on these stories instead, like how they did with Earth 2 and Tower of Babel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unsurprisingly both examples you listed were effectively scrapped JL/JLU scripts. WB animation had made it very plain that the only reason they make animated adaptations is as nerd-bait and that they aren't interested in actually using their medium in any way

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So is there anywhere I can find a translation for DKR slang?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
DC and Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers make me so goddamn mad. They make all these cool DC Nation shorts and then make it so you can ONLY SEE THEM ONCE and ONLY ON SATURDAY MORNINGS.

Why not put them up on your goddamn website? I know you're using them to build an audience for your DC Nation block but some people have poo poo to do on saturday mornings.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

DC and Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers make me so goddamn mad. They make all these cool DC Nation shorts and then make it so you can ONLY SEE THEM ONCE and ONLY ON SATURDAY MORNINGS.

Why not put them up on your goddamn website? I know you're using them to build an audience for your DC Nation block but some people have poo poo to do on saturday mornings.

What's worse is they show new ones during repeats of cartoons. I DVR'd all of YJ and GL so I was able to catch them but then a random Saturday I turned on YJ to a repeat and found they were running a new short. I was a little mad and very disappointed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is there even a list of shorts somewhere to at least know what you're looking for on youtube?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Why isn't Super Best Friends Forever being picked up as a full length series?!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

jscolon2.0 posted:

It would be lighthearted and fun, attract new fans to comics, portray female characters positively, and make shitloads of money given the magnetic appeal of faust's character designs and writing.

So DC cannot allow it.
It goes against everything they stand for.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I suppose attracting Lauren Faust's brony fanbase would inevitably cause a clash in fanbases, a fanbasepocalypse, which would destroy the world...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not seeing a problem here....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

I presume the answer is because someone at DC is a firm believer in Anti-Life.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wouldn't making a heavily watched and liked show and then hiding the anti-life equation in it be the best way to indoctrinate the most viewers though?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It would be lighthearted and fun, attract new fans to comics, portray female characters positively, and make shitloads of money given the magnetic appeal of faust's character designs and writing.

So DC cannot allow it.
It goes against everything they stand for.

Girls don't know about superheroes you silly people! So there's no reason to target them with a show.

By the way, whatever happened to that Batman series where Alfred would join him using guns and there was a female ninja or something.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Liar posted:

Girls don't know about superheroes you silly people! So there's no reason to target them with a show.

By the way, whatever happened to that Batman series where Alfred would join him using guns and there was a female ninja or something.

It's being retooled since Warner Bros. understandable don't want to be a marketing a Batman series where he teams up with a gun toting vigilante.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So this week's USM had a Miles Morales cameo (he was in the list of understudies for the Spider-Man role in the school musical, one slot above Parker.)

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 is pretty much a 1:1 adaptation of the first half of the book (so its loving awesome) and while there's no Conroy, Peter Weller as Batman was a really good choice. He kills it and even pulls off "old wiseass Bruce" well. Seriously, go get it.

Best animated film feature I've watched in years. I'm like way too excited for Part 2 already.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Finished The Dark Knight Returns, Pt. 1 and, while it was good, it reminded me of the one thing I couldn't stand in the comics: the annoying news reporter & pundit segments. I know they're a parody. I know it's personalities being exaggerated to their extremes. I know that they're supposed to be aggravating. And I know there's multiple layers (intentional or not) to most of the scenes about how both sides, both pro- and anti-Batman, are completely missing the point. It doesn't change the fact that the newscasters/pundits in the comic are some of the most unbearably annoying caricatures I've ever seen.

And now they're voiced and animated. My television almost didn't survive.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What did they do with the Cold War element of the book? Is the Corto Maltese incident intact as a crisis between Americans and Soviets? Is Reagan president? I'm so curious to know how they deal with that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What did they do with the Cold War element of the book? Is the Corto Maltese incident intact as a crisis between Americans and Soviets? Is Reagan president? I'm so curious to know how they deal with that.

That stuff hasn't come up yet, although it really seems like they're keeping it in the 80s (Gordon still gives the Pearl Harbor speech) so I would assume so in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

JustV posted:

Finished The Dark Knight Returns, Pt. 1 and, while it was good, it reminded me of the one thing I couldn't stand in the comics: the annoying news reporter & pundit segments. I know they're a parody. I know it's personalities being exaggerated to their extremes. I know that they're supposed to be aggravating. And I know there's multiple layers (intentional or not) to most of the scenes about how both sides, both pro- and anti-Batman, are completely missing the point. It doesn't change the fact that the newscasters/pundits in the comic are some of the most unbearably annoying caricatures I've ever seen.

And now they're voiced and animated. My television almost didn't survive.
Oh come on, if the Mayor saying "We're still polling opinions. Still polling opinions." didn't make you laugh you lack a soul. That being said, yeah it's a little wrapped up in its politics for sure. It cut a little too much to those scenes but I felt like they didn't detract from the overall package - I'm glad they kept them, actually, since it makes the adaptation seem all the more faithful.

Part 2 should incorporate all of the Reagan business since Superman comes to visit him right? It's been awhile since I read the book. Should be good.

• Locked thread