Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Thank you Clanpot Shake, 100% right.

Aw poo poo, sorry. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this new phone of mine and must have accidentally quoted the wrong post. It definitely was not directed at you, but the goon with the crazy rape fetishist players. One day I will learn how to use this drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman posted:

PDQ #: Talking Heads

The cast:

The GM: An experienced guy who translates and writes RPGs for a living. Never shot down our ideas, and we love him for that.

Venustiano: Fencing dandy detective with strong morals and a soft spot for women. Something of a foil for the rest of the party.

Corto Alberto Balicci: Mute gunslinger and daredevil. Shares a bizarre telepathic connection with his parrot, Parrot, a smartmouth who speaks for both of them. Specializes in trickshots and action movie scenes.
With an additional pair of bird-eyes, Balicci has a superb sense of space and distance, allowing shots that would otherwise be impossible.

Chuck D. Head: This guy. No, really. Chuck is the body, Head is the detachable head that can be used as a throwing weapon. Chuck specializes in being a scary monster and dealing with other monsters. Head specializes in being a very aerodynamic smartass.

Coming up:
Cardinal BRIAN BLESSED
Chasing a naked assassin with an air gondola
Hunt for the knife man, who is made of knives
The invisible assassins and their seeing-eye animals

Balicci believed the Sightless (as the invisible assassins called themselves) were using the organization's old hideout in Venice: The clocktower of the abandoned old town hall. We moved out.

So Balicci and Chuck took the air gondola to the clock tower. When there, they heard a voice, out of nowhere! As it turned out, it was Mother Owl, a former matriarch of the Sightless. This was actually a pretty neat little detail, as I had just improvised her into existence when I was trying to intimidate our captive assassin in the previous session. The GM decided to use her in the actual game. Pretty cool. The assassins had managed to kill her bird and drive her off. She was far from helpless, though, as here she was, standing on the top of a tall tower, completely blind.
Before disappearing, she mentioned that the Procedure performed on Balicci was highly experimental, and that his and Parrot's symbiosis and Parrot's enchanced intelligence were something unexpected that the Sightless were unable to replicate. It was Balicci's escape from the group that sort sparked the whole mess, prompting the new generation into action. This might have become important later in the game, had we gotten that far. It's really a shame, because the GM and I had fun building up Balicci's backstory and the assassins.

We snuck inside the tower through a maintenance door on the clock. It seemed there was one on this floor, but when we heard footsteps on the floor below. One of the young assassins was there, on patrol, he hadn't seen us yet. Balicci plucked a feather from Parrot (despite its protests) and let it fall on the floor. The assassin (named Lorenzo, for the record) thus distracted, Chuck konged the heaviest object he could find at the poor sod. The killer received a barrel of acid right in the head. Why was there a barrel of acid in the clock tower? Well, it was apparently intended for metal maintenance and polish.
We managed to avoid the assassin's avenging companion, a snake, and then we thought of something: We knew were going to be chased by a bloodhound, as our captive, Giuseppe, had mentioned that. We still had some of the acid left, so we spread it over our footsteps, hoping that the strong smell would wreak havoc on the doggie's sensivitive nose.

Continuing further into the tower, we came to the old training room of the assassins. It was dark as hell and featured complicated mechanisms and several tall bladed cylinders that the pupil would have to learn to avoid. Figuring this would be a trap, Balicci decided to crawl under the floor, where the machinery was located. Wouldn't you know it, it was indeed a trap and the cylinders started spinning.
Balicci was stuck crawling under the nasty spinning gears and machinery, while Chuck was stuck above, trying to avoid the cylinders and the attacks of the assassin hidden in the room. Chuck had to take some nasty cuts, but he managed to discern the assassin's location and grapple the bastard. Meanwhile, Balicci tried to stop the machine by jamming it with his beloved coat. It didn't work, the coat was torn to shreds, except... The ammunition he had stored in his coat was eventually crushed and exploded! The trap was no more. Balicci crawled back up, and Parrot engaged the assassin's albatross companion, whose enchanced magnetic sense had allowed the assassin to navigate the dark room. Now, only one assassin was left: Levantine, their leader.

We entered his sanctum. It was full of alchemical equipment and the obligatory stuffed alligator was hanging from the ceiling. We could detect a strange, loud hum, but we weren't sure where it was coming from. We were wary. As the leader of the Sightless, Levantine would no doubt be a devious motherfucker. After a few taunts from our unseen foe, the mouth of the stuffed alligator suddenly opened. That was unexpected. Out flew a murderous swarm of Azlanti death fire bees.

...this guy's mental link was with loving BEES. Good grief. Well, what choice did we have? We rolled for initiative.

We decided to split up: The alchemically gifted Head would instruct Balicci and Parrot on how to use the equipment in the lab to make a weapon against the bees, while Chuck would try to fend them off. It wouldn't be easy, as Levantine apparently had another ace up his sleeve: Invisible weapons, such as swords and guns. drat. Chuck took some nasty hits, but being a hulking monstrosity, he managed to survive. Once again using the enemy's attacks to locate them, Chuck grappled Levantine and threw him at the bees, and Balicci chucked the explosive he had just cooked up at them. Boom! Levantine was done. The assassins were finished. That's good, that's fine. It's just that the rather volatile lab was now on fire.
Grabbing their companions, Balicci and Chuck rushed to the front door, passing a whimpering assassin and her dog. Chuck managed to get out in time, but Balicci was just a bit too late and was propelled out by the explosion. His bare back was badly burned, but he was alive, and he had managed to protect Parrot with his body.

We found out that our nemesis and ally of the assassins, Doctor Genesi, had escaped to the Middle-East. Our adventures would have taken us there, next, but unfortunately the campaign ended here. I'm still hoping I can manipulate the GM into returning to the setting and characters at some point, but we'll have to see about that. All in all, it was a pretty loving :black101: conclusion, so I have no complaints.

Here's hoping you enjoyed these stories! I've still got a bunch of other games to talk about, so I'm not out of material just yet.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This may seem terse and disjointed - I wanted to get it posted before I got to bed. I ask for ideas/advice at the end.

My homebrew Dark Heresy adventure of Occupy Batman Street 40,000 continues. When we left off, the players had discovered the seedy motel residence of the terrorist they'd been sent to capture or kill in the lower hive, and got the address of a warehouse he was having deliveries made to. The psyker and cleric had walked in and scoped it out, then left. Elsewhere, the techpriest got the contact info of an adept who'd be able to tell them about the shipments into the warehouse.

The next day, the techpriest heads to meet with this adept, while the psyker and cleric, along with their new assassin buddy (psyker's new roommate) head to scope out the warehouse and motel.

At the motel, they find it in much the same condition as the night before, with the exception that everybody who was there has been expertly executed where they sat, without even time to draw their weapons. They search the place and discover two rooms of note. The first, apparently inhabited by a very large man with a very large machine gun who left in a hurry. The second door had an improvised frag grenade tripwire trap on the door, and a nail bomb in the desk drawer, the first trap was detected and disarmed, and the second failed to detonate. This man also left in a hurry, apparently out the window, this room having the only fire escape. They can't track him from there.

They figured someone must have come for him shortly after they left and killed everyone to get to him. This was an angle I hadn't considered when planning for this. In my mind, he saw the acolytes had found where he lived, knew they were getting close, and cleaned up any trace of anyone who'd seen him there. They don't consider this possibility.

Elsewhere, in the mid hive, the techpriest is meeting with the senior munitorum adept in charge of shipments to and from the planet. Under questioning he is increasingly nervous and tries to whip up some fake documentation making the shipments in question look innocuous. When pressed, he attacks the techpriest! After a brief combat in which the techpriest electrocutes the poo poo out him into unconsciousness, they find documentation proving the nervous adept had been re-routing materials which could be used to build a bomb to that warehouse, and another warehouse address in the mid hive, this one apparently empty. They have him arrested by the Arbites and all meet up to interrogate him.

Under interrogation, he claims to be working for the Imperium, is confident that his soul is secure, and refuses to talk about who he's working with. They have him placed under 24/7 watch.

Back at the safehouse, there's a note on the table. It's from the terrorist they've been looking for! And he left them a note on their coffee table! He says to back off, leave the planet, they can't stop what's coming and so on. He ends with a question: How much do you really know about the man you work for? (note: they've never directly interacted with their Inquisitor).

They leave and spend the night in the cathedral from my last post. They left a note of their own with a means to contact them (encrypted microbead channel).

The next day, they decide to check out the warehouse on the mid-hive, the one that's supposed to be empty. They enter under the cover of a Mechanicus worker and crew sent to look at a broken forklift. The workers let them in. Firstly, there are workers, and secondly, the place is packed to the rafters with boxes. Odd.

Two of them sneak a peak in the office and see two heavily armed guards, much like the ones they'd seen when they scoped out the lower hive warehouse. The techpriest says he needs a part, and they leave, intent on coming back at nighttime.

Nighttime rolls around and they're able to sneak in and get past the alarm system. There's only one guard in the office this time, and he's asleep. The assassin (new player), climbs to the time of a box stack and takes him out. They start opening boxes and find empty heavy weapons ammo packs. Not drained - empty. Like someone had taken the capacitors/plasma/whatever out and left the chasis. The place is full of them. In the office, they find 5 crates marked on a map. Checking them out, two are empty, and 3 contain the most sophisticated explosives they've ever seen.

They phone in the arbites to take care of the bombs, and right after they get off the phone, the terrorist rings them up, expressing his disappointment with them. Sensing he isn't entirely evil (after all, he hadn't killed them in their sleep at the safehouse), they try to arrange a meeting. After a brief discussion, they have a meeting the next day with him at a seedy bar in the underhive.

So, they go to the meeting. He makes a grand entrance and is suitably intimidating and presents them with a choice. They can either allow him to continue his work and report their failure to their Inquisitor, move against him (which would surely be suicide, he assures them), or help him - move against their own Inquisitor in exchange for protection. He justifies this future bombing and the past bombings he's committed as the greater good - he says this world will fall to chaos is he is not allowed to continue. The upper hive has been corrupted (they've seen other evidence of this) and must be destroyed if the world is to be saved. He spoke of a storm coming to the planet, and was doing everything he could to make sure the world was ready, then showed them his own rosette (gasp!). He left the bar, giving them a day to consider.

I hadn't planned on my players meeting this guy yet, but they acted faster than I thought. I haven't fully planned out this guy's agenda, but managed to whip together a real moral quandary for them (or at least the appearance of one). For the next session, I need to figure out his position in the Inquisition, his angle (what exactly he was referring to with the storm), why he sees bombing a hive city as the greater good, and I have no idea what my players will decide to do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Clanpot Shake posted:

For the next session, I need to figure out his position in the Inquisition, his angle (what exactly he was referring to with the storm), why he sees bombing a hive city as the greater good, and I have no idea what my players will decide to do.
Hive cities are basically the definition of stagnation and decay. Hint.

Also, I love your players.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Order Xenos? Caught up with the whole 'Greater Good' bit might hint at a Tau connection. No idea if that would fit your setting though!

Also hive cities are good for every type of cult, since they are so incredibly dense.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It occurred to me last night I could also use the Tyrant Star. The terrorist told them that bad things were coming to the planet, was vague, but could have been taken to mean bad things were not yet upon the planet. He dropped hints of psychic foretelling (he himself is not a psyker).

I've also got some ideas for who exactly he works for, but I don't want to write too much here if any of them are goons.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
He could also be working for the Alpha Legion, knowingly or unknowingly. They love to use regular human auxiliaries, and have a knack for impersonating people high on the totem pole. Could be that they're pretending to be a high rank Inquisitor, and have fed him info saying that your PCs Inquisitor is his rival, and thus the PCs are trying to thwart his holy mission.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It could be he found out about a Chaos cult on the planet that is planning on performing a large ritual at several sites to summon a greater daemon, and is preemptively takeing out possible sites in order to force the cultists to use a specific site so he can take them out in one shot, while making it look like it's just terrorist activity so as to not raise the suspicions of the cult?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Another week another session, this one shorter due to schedule constraints.

The acolytes were given a day to think over the prospect of joining forces with the terrorist bomber who revealed himself to be an Inquisitorial acolyte. They spent the day researching his past actions (they'd found a couple bombings over the years where his aliases cropped up) - in each case people who died in the bombings had open Inquisitorial files. They were being investigated, and toward the end heresy was suspected, but no solid evidence. Then the bombings, and since the target was dead the file was closed.

They then tried to find currently open files for potential targets on the planet, but their clearance doesn't allow them access to ongoing investigations that are not their own, so they don't know who, if anyone, this guy is targeting this time around.

Meanwhile, the sniper and psyker are investigating the warehouse in the lower hive. When a truck leaves, the sniper decides to take out one of the tires and rolls a 01 (in Dark Heresy this is the best possible roll). The bullet goes through the rear driver's side tire, ricochets off the pavement into the front tire, and the truck screeches to a halt in the middle of the road. Since the shot was silenced and there's a bustle of activity in the hive, nobody is quite sure what happened. The two guards in the truck jump out, and one stands guard while the other sets to changing the tires.

The psyker moves up the block using his stealth powers, and when he's in position in an alley the sniper takes the shot on the guard standing watch, rolling another ridiculously good roll, taking him out. Panicking, the guy changing the tires runs to get into the truck cab with the intent to drive away on 2 flat tires. Unfortunately for him the psyker has moved into position on the other side of the cab. When the guy steps up, he's looking down the barrel of a sawed-off shotgun-pistol. Another ridiculously good roll later, his shredded body slumps out of the cab.

Now, this is only like 3 blocks from the warehouse, so the guys there start to notice something's up. They send out a contingent of guards to recover the truck, so the psyker quickly rifles through the dead guard's pockets and finds a piece of paper and disappears into the hive. The guards recover the truck.

The group reconvenes and shares intel. The paper has written on it an address. They look it up and find that it's a high-rise apartment complex that spans the height of the mid hive that also happens to contain a structural support beam supporting the upper hive.

Now, at this point there's a lot of arguing about whether to accept the terrorist's offer to join him, to outright try to kill him, or join him with the intent of later betraying him. His actions appear to be sanctioned on some level, but if they help him they'll be complicit in the killing of millions of people. Hard choice.

They settle on joining him with the intent of later betraying him and set up a meeting. They meet him in the same bar as last time, and after some threats (he knows they killed his men at the warehouse, but he didn't lose any materials so he's not too angry about it), the terrorist tells them they're going to make up for the trouble they've caused him. Thanks to the acolytes, three of his bombs are now in Arbite (elite Imperial police force) custody, and he needs three more bombs. They need to either recover get them back from the Arbites, or acquire the materials so he can build new ones.

Little did I know this played right into the psyker's plan. The player was quite happy that he had foreseen this possibility, and had a plan for it. The plan was this: they'd use their Inquisitorial authority to get the bombs back from the Arbites, modify them so that they could be remotely detonated (and note wipe out a good portion of the hive), delivery them to the terrorist and kill him with his own bombs. Pretty good plan. They set to it.

At the Arbites headquarters they found that the Arbite techs couldn't make heads or tails of the bombs they'd recovered, so they called in high-level assistance from the local Mechanicus shrine. Fortunately, one of the players is a techpriest, and after some beep boop talking got some information on how the bomb worked. The short of it was that it was composed mostly of heretofore-unknown parts, the explosive material was re-purposed plasma ammunition (tech heresy), and it had a device which would receive some signal to start the detonation sequence. The bomb would take about 15 minutes to spin up to detonation, after which it would obliterate several blocks - enough force to take out a hive support beam. The construction of the bomb strongly hinted a Mechanicus hand building it.

Upstairs, they work on convincing the Arbite chief to release these incredibly dangerous bombs to their care, and since they've already shown their rosette it amounted to telling this guy what he was going to do. He starts on the paperwork. This is where we stopped for the night.

The plan for next time is to convince the the Mechanicus techs to build in some kind of inhibitor to limit the power of the explosion (plausible, given how they understand the bomb to work) for "safety during transit", and to decipher the signal receiver so they can "block that frequency" (detonate at will). Then all they need to do is delivery the bombs and blow them up when the terrorist is standing in the same building. Easy.

So, question about acolyte power in Dark Heresy. These guys have revealed themselves to the heads of two law enforcement agencies, which as I understand Inquisitorial authority gives them almost unlimited power to order people around. Several times now they've relied on that authority to keep themselves out of trouble, and in this case just have them hand over 3 incredibly dangerous (not to mention heavy as gently caress) devices to like 4 guys. It feels too easy. How can I make things more difficult for them while not making them feel like their badges are worthless? They're ordering around the Arbite chief on this planet like he works for them, and with the bomb thing had him do something his decades of experience would tell him is a terrible idea.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

They've forced the chief to take responsibility for handing over incredibly dangerous evidence and either lost them to the terrorists or used them for their own illegal demolitions. He's going to be pissed.

You can have all further requests for aid take so long to happen that they may as well stop asking, the chief may demand to be fully informed of the case and their actions before he rubber stamps anything else, he may force them to be accompanied by an arbite officer if they're conducting any operation with the arbiters help, he might start getting leaned on by another power in the hive to cut that poo poo out or he might declare the acolytes are working with or simply are the terrorists and take steps from there.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Another option is to have the Arbite bounce the thing up the chain, letting his superiours know that some acolites are messing around, and trying to get someone to check this out with their Inquisitior. The request may not get far, but it gives you a nice "security leak" if your BBG has a spy in the mix.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Some months back I was playing some good ol' homebrewed 3.5 (has psionic spellcasting with reworked classes and spells) at level 1 with none of the members of RapePunk, it's been kinda sweet. Even if I've been the unluckiest of players.

We started the campaign off as 4 travellers that cross paths as we're being summoned by a baron to go with his son and 17 soldiers to check out why word hasn't come from a local village. We were all excited to try the new casting system so we all rolled casters. Toots made a soulful halfling chef (who just happens to be a sorceress) inspired by British soul performers.
Hawk rolled out an elven moon cleric on a quest, with focus on support like spells and fear (her domains had slim pickings), Gutworm also joined the cleric train with a more Inquisitive bent (if you follow my meaning) a clean Lawful Neutral prosecutor. I put together a character concept I'd wanted to play since before I began playing, a racist disowned elven noble (class: bard.) Thankfully this is very appropriate for the campaign world, seeing how uncivilized races are simply "orks" don't matter if you're green or not.
Most of us were quite sensible with starting funds, purchasing horses if possible (I went with a mule and a shitload of beer.) The DM decides that since we're all magical dudes, it makes sense to send for us. We'd have experience, tricks and knowledge that the normals don't. We arrive at the town, everything loving gone except for a lone ork herding sheep. We question him (I suggest ten lashes on principle) and learn that it might've been some orks from the mountain range that could've come and stolen the people away. They force him to work for us as a guide (against my protests) and soon we're scaling mountains, taking cold damage from weather and losing horses. At the end of a gruelling day, we set up camp and encounter a problem.

We don't know where to put the ork, I figure he's lead us into a trap and that we could all be in a heap of trouble soon. I better get on the orks good side and find a way to make him like me the most, so I'd either get a quick death or allowed to live. Figuring I had a tent on my donkey, I offered it to him while I slept with some of the soldiers (again figuring this would maximize my chances of survival) and what do ya know? Five giant orkz come for us in the night, the goatherder ork had a magic sword in his boot all along and a battle broke out with some very groggy dudes vs. raging giants with three levels on the soldiers, at least, and a much better class.
We pull every trick we have out of our collective arses, colour sprays, auras, demotivational dancing and strategic whipping. I even managed to kill one of the big orks. The soldiers don't last long, and one by one the PCs fall, leaving my PC, the Baron's son and his guard huddling in a tent. I convince the two of them that we should all make a run for it from the back of the tent, and then snuck out the front while they got clobbered. My escape attempt didn't last much longer as I fail my hide check and wind up unconscious.

We wake up in a prison cell with the Baron's son and shortly thereafter are brought before goatherder, King of Orkz (up untill this point we've believed that orks were all decentralized barbarian tribes.) His vast armies and monstrous war beasts make the largest groups of non-ork soldiers we've seen look like the Fab Five. The Ork King brings us to his dining room, tasking us with bringing a message to the Baron. In seven days, the Orkz are coming to gather food and supplies, if there'll be an army there, everyone will die.

:whip: Are you going to let him humiliate your father and your family like that?
:chef: Bard, nooooo!
:hist101: Well... no... but we're his hostages.
:whip: You should stand up to him, put him in his place. He's an ork, they respect strength.
:chef: We should all just try to keep our head low and follow their orders till we get back to civilization.
:whip: What would your father do?
:chef: You're not an elf, you're a troll!

We make the appropriate skill checks, trying to convince him one way or another, and I just narrowly beat the chef.

:hist101: I'm not going to bow before some green monkey just because he calls himself king. How dare you treat me like this? My father will have your head.
:black101: GUARDS, hold his hand down to the table.

The King then chops the Baron's son's right hand off, in front of us (though it takes two or three attempts to remove it) though someone was polite enough to pull the tablecloth in front of the grizzly scene so we only heard the meat-y sounds. Gutworm's prosecutor wrote down every word the King said, doing all the proper things to make it a legal document and then we left as quickly as we could with what equipment the orks hadn't stolen (mostly just my whip, seeing as them ork boys didn't have the weapon proficiencies) and getting some of it replaced by inferior quality products. Such as the prosecutor's greatsword being replaced by a big club.
The ride back is rather uneventful, save that the moon elf's horse (which I think was named and everything) slid, broke her leg and had to be put down. She tries striking the horse down, without success over a few attacks where we find ourselves trapped between crying and laughter.

We make it down just before nightfall and make camp in an abandoned castle that's rumored to be haunted. We're smart adventurers on an important mission that could save lives, so we even enter the castle itself and huddle up in one of the dining rooms with a nice view of the courtyard. Sometime after midnight we start hearing sobbing, we all know this isn't good and start preparing ourselves for the worst and it's even worse than that. The ghost is an ork service girl moaning and sobbing about not being able to find her daughter and that [b]he[/], some unnamed man, said he'd take care of their daughter while she worked. My party members try unsuccessfully to calm her down, and eventually she snaps and everyone but the moon elf fail their saving throw, forcing us to run away from the ghost.

:whip: I leap out the window, it's the best way out of here.
The DM looks up some stuff about glass.
:ughh: Make a jump check and a strength check.
:whip: Sweet! My dice love me tonight!
:ughh: You take five damage, three from the shards of glass, two from the landing.
:whip: uh oh...
:ughh: Toots, Gutworm, make jump checks.
:chef: ... 15?
:catholic: ... 16?
:ughh: You both leap out the window and land on the bard. You take 2 damage, Doktor Per, you're and elf, how many hitpoints do you have left?
:supaburn: I'm loving dying man!

But thankfully liberal healing once everyone ceased losing their poo poo and the ghost had been blown to pieces by magic missiles. But nothing could have prepared me, or any of us for what happened next.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
--

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 17, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LordZoric posted:

*No, the player knew nothing about this. The GM just tossed that into his backstory to further his own story he wanted to tell.
Was this purpose so he could have an Evil NPC steal that immortality, because Stolen Immortality is more dramatic than "Oh, the Villain is already immortal"?

Or would this be giving them too much credit/you never got far enough to find out?

I'll be honest though, I was expecting the BIG NO to be because it was the designated dramatic moment for the Headmaster to die. While I don't remember the details really of them, there has been a strange trend of whoever was running the plot to put somebody in peril, then get all uppity the stack of SUPER HEROES just might be able to save them.

EDIT: Some light small low quality content. Just some usual generic "Only Designated NPC can save the day, you're just doing filler" stuff. Turns out the latest case of NPC Saves The Day was to be Illyana Rasputin ganking some Demon leading a small army from behind.

Before they had narrated that outcome to us though, I had a simple question "So, when is my attack going to resolve?"

The local friendly mage had turned my Cyborg 2 stories tall. My Cyborg had just fired Godzilla breath scaled plasma flamer at the demon army and it's general.

After like, an hour, they finally agreed to resolve the attack. They declared I narrowly missed my allies and... I don't think it went anywhere near the demons, and went on to describe Illyana Rasputin Ganking the End Boss and oh look we were useless again.

I was more impressed by the fact I had apparently missed so bad I fired BACKWARDS towards my teammates who were all behind me, than I was with the unsurprising fact that us players were good for nothing but beating up an endless supply of minions until NPC or GMPC Saves Day. Or getting kicked (but not banned) off the text game for mentioning meat around our Crazed Vegan GM

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 7, 2012

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

--

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My last game of M&M was superb. It was a one shot Kwyngame, so there was a LOT of property destruction. It also featured an AA sponsor throwing a Burger King at his entire team.

The moral of the story is that supervillains will always lose when outnumbered due to action cost.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LordZoric posted:

*No, the player knew nothing about this. The GM just tossed that into his backstory to further his own story he wanted to tell.

So... the guy broadened his horizons so he could steal from X-Force as well as the X-Men? This PC wouldn't happen to resemble Cannonball at all, would he?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

--

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 17, 2021

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LordZoric posted:

The kicker is he entertains the idea of publishing the campaign's exploits as a novel someday. :psyduck:
One of my friends has the same delusions. His system is a direct ripoff of MSHRPG, half his NPCs are characters from major movies/games/books, and his setting is literally "every comic book, movie, novel, and video game I have ever played, stuck together spelljammer style." And yet he really thinks he's gonna pitch this to a big name game production company and get it distributed. :downs:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

One of my friends has the same delusions. His system is a direct ripoff of MSHRPG, half his NPCs are characters from major movies/games/books, and his setting is literally "every comic book, movie, novel, and video game I have ever played, stuck together spelljammer style." And yet he really thinks he's gonna pitch this to a big name game production company and get it distributed. :downs:

While that is dumb as gently caress, a game that is actually set in that world could be pretty amazing. Done right, the final battle could look like The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRH47J_zuI

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

While that is dumb as gently caress, a game that is actually set in that world could be pretty amazing. Done right, the final battle could look like The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny
Oh don't get me wrong, his game, when it was good, was drat fun to play in. It's just that when it was bad, it was proportionately bad. I've posted about it before, in this thread and those that came before. The only reason I'm not still in his game is that I had to move way away from there.

And yeah, we've had fights that were extremely reminiscent of The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny but with more Marvel/Dark Horse/Joss Whedon influence.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

While that is dumb as gently caress, a game that is actually set in that world could be pretty amazing. Done right, the final battle could look like The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRH47J_zuI

Eugh. I can't believe I recognized Lowtax in this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I meant that the idea of turning your RPG campaign into a novel is usually stupid, and becomes incredibly stupid when you're using thinly veiled copyrighted characters.

If the group was good, I can see that style of thing being really fun. Hell, we usually have the most fun playing something completely unserious and over the top.

Phy posted:

Eugh. I can't believe I recognized Lowtax in this.

I never noticed that until you pointed it out.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
A short C:tL anecdote:

The group consists of two Changelings, a Darkling named Vilma Craft and an Ogre who goes by Ersatz. The two have had a number of adventures so far and, while some have been interesting (such as trying to restart a magic lighthouse to banish a shadowy Keeper back to Arcadia), this one was particularly memorable.

It didn't start that way, mind you. Ersatz's reason for returning from Faerie was to help her seven younger siblings out of their lovely situations and, after saving one, she found out about her Fetch. Ersatz doesn't care about getting her crappy life back but the reason her siblings turned out so terribly is because of her Fetch's cruelties to them while they were growing up. She wanted to go and take revenge.

By this point, it needs to be stated, Ersatz is a somewhat established Changeling. She's developed a reputation for being a combat-beast and being able to take a few gunshots without slowing down. This is why the side-venture was expected to be no big deal until her Fetch pounced on her, shanked her in the back, and then turned out to be quite invulnerable. Despite not being impervious to pain, Ersatz's Fetch was more or less indestructible, due to being bound to the same oaths as its Keeper creator, so that all things of this world could not harm it. This did not deter Ersatz. After a long and bloody brawl, Ersatz subdued the Fetch, bound its wrists and ankles in chains, and gagged it. She then sent Vilma into the woods with her axe.

Now, here's where it gets memorable and kind of hosed up.

Ersatz instructs Vilma to dig a five by six by seven foot hole in the woods. By the time Ersatz arrives with the Fetch bound in chains, she has a broken arm and multiple bleeding wounds, but still finishes digging the hole herself. She then ungags the Fetch and throws it, screaming and begging, into the grave. The Fetch offers to tell her Sreng's weakness for mercy, and Ersatz agrees, but then fills in the hole anyway, promising to return in 35 years (the length of time the Fetch has had in the mortal world) to dig her up instead of just leaving her forever.

Suffice to say, a roll for Clarity was called for, but... loving hell. It was an uncomfortable moment.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Just tell me that Rat Church have a savior named Cheesus.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Feeple posted:

Just tell me that Rat Church have a savior named Cheesus.

The judges would also accept "Rats Tafari."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In addition to being a rat, jesus was also a snail.

Salivanth
Jun 28, 2011
I have a few good ones from solo campaigns, because my DM is awesome. I also have a bad one, which I'll start off with. You see, my DM? He plays for keeps. In all our early adventures, if your character died, he died, and he didn't cheat the dice. In the later ones, he mollified slightly, and instead doing something stupid just led to your character managing to get himself even deeper into a messed up situation.

But this wasn't one of those times. We were playing World of Darkness in a modern setting, which was basically a Deus Ex ripoff. I was an experienced field agent, but both of us made large mistakes: He didn't give me the experience or in-game training my character should have had, and I acted like World of Darkness was real life, and not, say, World of Darkness in terms of combat mechanics. This proceeded to backfire when, in the first mission, I tried to bust in through the front door of a complex by knocking out two guys before they could react. In real life, when one good blow can knock a guy out this may have worked. In WoD, much less likely. I got shot to death with SMG's. Meanwhile, the DM had been dropping hints of alternate entrances which I ignored.

The campaign was scrapped. (Happy ending, he eventually made a similar, better campaign which ran through the start in a much more intelligent fashion, and it turned out to be a great campaign.)

Now that you know this, we can move on to the best experiences.

Story One

The first one comes from our first campaign together. It started out as fairly generic D&D stuff. My character was washed up on shore after a shipwreck and busted a local bandit ring with the help of some local lizardfolk. Their leader had instructions to ensure nobody from the shipwreck was left alive. Uh-oh. So I told the lizardfolk they could choose her fate, and they chose that since she was a "warm-blood" she should face our justice, and I took her to the local town. A couple more adventures were had, and after fighting off assassins, I was told to go to the largest city on the continent (I forget exactly why) where I met Caelun, another shipwreck survivor.

Now here comes the genius part. My character Quirion was a ranger who got his animal companion while in the city (Really cool scene of druid training actually, but I won't get into that.) and took it to a warehouse full of Mysterious Note Guy's thugs with Caelun to clear it out. It was easy. Like, ridiculously easy. At Caelun's suggestion, I was leaving my bear at the Grove, a part of the city taken over by the druids and turned all lush and green. It was better for him and the citizenry to not have a giant bear walking through streets all day. So when Caelun came to me saying he'd found another warehouse, and they had to attack it right now, Quirion left his bear behind. Because why not? The other warehouse was so easy.

So we cleared a few rooms, and entered the final room, a barely lit dark room, whereupon Caelun closed the door and locked it. Caelun and I had become friends at this point, so when he turned on me and attacked, Quirion was very surprised. Caelun, who was a shadowdancer (Despite being at five levels, this was a modified prestige class thing) started making Quirion's life hell by disappearing into the shadows. After some brief exposition on the fact that his family's life was in danger by one of the antagonists and he was being ordered to kill me, I came up with the idea to use the torches I'd bought with my starting character (Because you NEVER KNOW, right?) to light up the room and restrict his movement in the shadows. Through ignorance of the rules, we ruled the torches only lit up a few squares, but that made the fight far more awesome. I ended up sticking a torch into the shadow-man that Caelun summoned, one-shotting him under Rule of Cool, and then we wailed on each other until the DM informed me of two things OOC.

Firstly, both Caelun and I were now at exactly one hit point.
Secondly, if I lost here, this was game over.

This campaign had been going for 20 hours, and was probably going to go for another 40. And he was willing to throw it away if I lost here. So I and my character had the same agonising choice, and despite intending to subdue and interrogate him all fight, my character went for the kill to have a better chance of scoring the blow. He did.

Later on, the DM informed me that he had not only expected me to break the encounter, but planned on me doing so. Caelun was higher level than me, because he had to be for the story, AND he'd robbed me of my most important class feature. (He was totally lying about being a shipwreck survivor too, the bastard.) If I'd had my bear, he wouldn't have had a chance. He literally came up with an encounter where he didn't know how to win, because he trusted that I'd find a way. I've never seen that level of difficulty before or since. (You know, real difficulty, in a fight you have to win, not a fight you're expected to lose.) To this day, every final boss this guy builds is designed to be 50/50. We realised it was bad design to put a fight like this 1/3rd into the campaign, but he doesn't shy away from sad endings. (Very few of my characters have actually survived the endings of his campaigns, and my actions choose the ending, too.) It definitely ups the stakes when the boss isn't a typical boss, who's designed to challenge you before dying and dropping loot, but is actually designed to have as good a chance of surviving the fight as you.

Story Two

So later on in that same campaign, things had come to a head, and it was about to end. My character had found out that he was known as a Fateless. The gods controlled the lives of basically everyone except for these Fateless, who were spread across different worlds. Though everyone whom he altered the life of significantly enough became a Fateless as well. This was basically an allegory for NPC's vs. PC's, and the power of the DM to control everyone except for me. So the main antagonist had been turned Fateless by my actions: Mysterious Note Guy. The funny thing is that before I intervened in his plans, the gods had preordained everything. So when I chose to interfere with the bandits, that's what set off the whole campaign. If I'd said "Screw you guys" and headed off into the marsh, he would have had to come up with a whole new campaign. And he would have done it, too.

So Mysterious Note Guy was named Bartell, and he essentially had a plan to collect a huge amount of enchanted weapons (Which were exceedingly rare in this world) and melt them down and infuse them into his skin to become a demigod and rule the world: Benevolently, he claimed. Time for some backstory on the Fateless thing. The guy responsible for engineering the Fateless was known as Zylvir, a powerful draconic wizard who existed on another plane of existence called the Twilight Realm. He actually became the first Fateless by breaking through the pre-set limits the gods had set on the power of mortals, which was level 20. This had been told to me by a mysterious being known as the Shadowed One, who actually existed, but had never appeared to me. Instead, it was Caelun. Turns out that if a Fateless is killed by a Fateless, you don't go to the regular afterlife: You go to the Twilight Realm that Zylvir set up. This is important.

So Quirion knows that the important fight against the gods is still to come. Zylvir wants to free everyone from their predestination, and Quirion wants to help him. He just has one more thing left to do: He has to kill Bartell. But killing an ultra-powerful wizard is difficult: Until Bartell left him the opportunity. He'd sealed himself up in a big tower with wards nobody could break, but allowed Quirion in. Quirion had no idea why, but went to the tower, with about six different people telling him different things they wanted him to do. Kill Bartell and take over, Kill Bartell and end the government entirely, free Bartell, etc. So Quirion goes in, armed to the teeth, and faces no resistance at all. He goes to the centre of the tower, only to find Bartell helpless as the magic metal streams into him in a ritual that's almost done. At this point, the DM informs me that at X time (About 5 minutes from now) the ritual will be done, and the choice will be out of my hands.

So Bartell and I talk for a bit, and Bartell reveals his plan: To turn the entire plane Fateless under his rule. The metal, sadly, will render him unable to ever go to the Twilight Realm, but one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Quirion asks how he knows he can trust him: He likes this world and it's people. Bartell says that Quirion can't. So it's decision time. What does Quirion do? And after thinking, Quirion wishes Bartell good luck, and stabs himself with his short sword. At this point, the ritual finishes, and Bartell kills Quirion and his companion instantly, ensuring both go to the Twilight Realm.

Turned out this was an absolute mindblower of a symbolic ending that neither of us engineered. All through the game, the gods were symbolic of the DM, and this ending was one the DM never expected me to take, thus basically being a huge gently caress you to both of them controlling me. Quirion took control of his own destiny as a Fateless, and left to join the fight with Zylvir.

So what happened there? Well. That happened months later, and it's a pretty funny story.

Story Three

So months and a couple of campaigns later, we finally decided to do Twilight Requiem, the sequel of the campaign I just described. I wanted to call it Lord of the God-Kings, a Penny Arcade reference that was too light-hearted for the DM's serious campaigns. To this day, we call it Lord of the God-Kings after what happened. You see, the DM had actually planned this ahead of time. I had predicted several times that the main character of another campaign, Prophecy of the Sleeper (Which was really good, but it's stories are less understood by someone who didn't go through it. You had to be there.) was actually a Fateless. Turns out I was wrong, but another character in it was. There was even a character in a for-fun evil campaign we were doing on the side where I had to kill a king who was backed by angels and trying to eradicate evil, and she was Fateless. Because it was technically the same cosmos as Lord of the God-Kings, the evil campaign would never undergo a second session. Ever. It couldn't.

So Quirion winds up on the Twilight Realm and meets Lel'Torel, the archmage who was one of the main engineers of Sleeper's plot and supposedly long dead. (She was actually a member of my party, and in a convoluted chain of events, got my character to kill her while doing what needed to be done. At this point, he'd been turned Fateless by her actions, because she changed his whole life to fulfill a prophecy.)

God, this just keeps getting longer as I have to go on tangents. I forget how intricate this really was. Remember, this was done over multiple campaigns, playing 1-2 times most weeks for about half a year. So Quirion meets Lel'Torel. They talk, he gets some sweet magic items to bring his power up to par (Remember, his own world is supremely magic-light) and Lel'Torel reveals she has a scrying glass, and Quirion wants to use it. He doesn't trust Bartell. So he does use it, and it turns out Bartell was fulfilling his end of the bargain. Bartell told him, as he could see the scrying. Fortunately, Bartell couldn't leave the plane, so it was okay for Bartell to know. Then Quirion scried on another character, Sorana: The deeply troubled anti-villain who'd basically turned to a totally loathsome path because she thought it was best. They'd actually bonded after Quirion saved her from her own plague. And Sorana spied the scrying glass too. Quirion immediately splashed the water out of the device. This was NOT supposed to happen. And then she appeared in the Twilight Realm.

This was just the beginning. A chance remark by Quirion caused Lel'Torel to scry on the plane of Prophecy of the Sleeper. You should know at this point. At this stage of his development, the DM did not use Schrodinger's Dungeon. What his characters should do, they would, no matter what. I think it was this campaign that changed his mind on that. Anyway, Lel'Torel spoke with Muldaya, my character from Sleeper who had essentially become a demigod in his own right. But Muldaya, unlike Bartell, could planeshift. And so he did.

At this point, Muldaya made us all a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion so we could talk, as I wasn't quite sure how Zylvir would react to the sudden population explosion. At this point, Muldaya pulled some magic and summoned the other Fateless characters, and we discussed what to do. This was an interesting discussion, including the paladin type trying to kill Quirion for his heresy (Suggesting the killing of the gods) which everyone else was fully in favor of. So we decided on the course of action of "Kill them all, we can't trust Zylvir."

This still could have been saved, but then, without thinking, I came up with an idea. "Hey, guys. If Muldaya is a really powerful wizard, and he can summon people from other planes here, can't any really powerful wizard do that? So, couldn't we just explain the situation to some other really powerful wizards from across all the planes, and get THEM to help us? And they can summon MORE wizards, and we could gather them together from all the planes we can!"

The DM looked at me like I'd grown a second head. And so the Magebomb happened. We didn't even narrate the fights. There was no point. If any of you have played 3.5, you know how retarded wizards are. And even with a spell resistance that takes a natural 20 to break, we had thousands of these wizards. Even if it took TWO twenties to break, how the hell are you going to kill 5,000 wizards before they kill you? You're still getting hit with about twelve Meteor Swarms every turn. The gods themselves didn't stand a chance. We obliterated every major potential antagonist and the entire plotline in a matter of minutes in real time.

And that's why, to this day, the DM knows that you don't always have to be true to your characters. We were split on it for a while, but eventually agreed it was awesome. You haven't really played 3.5 until you've shattered the world asunder at least once.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Salivanth posted:

You haven't really played 3.5 until you've shattered the world asunder at least once.

I liked that nice conclusion to your string of stories. Good post, thanks for sharing your adventures. One question: What do you mean by "Schrodinger's Dungeon"?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I have one story that, particularly, I am pretty pleased with.

I was in a Pathfinder game, playing an Ifrit Inquisitor. Ifrit are a breed between fire elementals and humans, which made writing background a little weird. Essentially, he came from Piren's Bluff, which borders the evil demon-worshipping nation of Cheliax, and the good nation of Andoran. My mother was an evil cultist who served Asmodeus, and my father was a fire elemental, who was a notable blacksmith (he used himself as the forge), and a preacher for Sarenrae.

So, when my character was born, my father stole me away in the dead of night, and my character grew up living being told my mother was a cleric of Sarenrae, and she had died when cultists raided her temple, and now they were after me. I grew up working with the church, and hating cultists and worshipers of evil, but also having some dark impulses in my mind (with no idea where this influence came from), so I became an Inquisitor (essentially, hit-men of the church who don't adhere to moral codes like Paladins). It was a fun character, because he was notable for this bipolar streak, where he could be all charm and smiles one minute, and the next had someone pressed against a wall, glaring at them with literal fire in his eyes.

Unbeknownst to me, my DM had a twist in store. We were on a quest to gather these magical weapons, so we could stop an angel who had fallen from grace from returning, before the groups that had been promised power and riches by him gathered them first.

One of which was located in a desert temple. After a bad encounter with sand giants, our group made camp, and decided to rest up, and replenish our depleted spells...

Little did we know, one of the adversary groups had already infiltrated the temple. So... we woke up surrounded by a group of powerful looking soldiers...headed up by a Hellknight, who looked oddly like me.

So, while my father had saved me, he had not known about my older brother, who my mother sent away to be raised by a Hellknight order, in the dead of night. She told my father the baby had died in birth.

He presented my character with two options: Either surrender the artifacts we claimed... or I fight him one-on-one. Any interference from my group, and he would order his men to slaughter them.

I chose to fight him.

What proceeded was the most dramatic fight I've ever experienced in a role-playing game. The DM had made this guy a bit stronger than me (Hellknights are pretty awesome). So, I only got a few hits on him before I was knocked unconscious. What followed was the best subtle trickery and drama I've seen play out. The cleric and I had these "friendship" bracelets, that allowed her to make touch based heals on me at a range. So, when I fell, she pretended to collapse in shock, and cry on the Rogue's shoulder... and secretly heal me. So to the Hellknight, it looked like I just rose from the dead, with a vicious grin.
Later, he crits me, and it's sure to kill me. But the Paladin, who had been hit with an aging touch earlier, used Paladin's Sacrifice, causing him to take all the damage, and passes it off as "Oh, my old hip going out". Everyone helped a little; the bard started doing some trickery to distract people with a song that, unbeknownst to them, was Inspire Greatness, the Rogue managed to sneakily roll a potion of cat's grace into my bag, when I was collapsed on the ground, to improve my AC, the Cleric's heals, the Paladin's sacrifices... it all came together awesomely. And all my brother saw was his little brother get knocked down, and then come back up, every time with more murder in his eyes. Finally, when I dropped him to his knees, he asked me how I could have possibly taken those hits, and how he could have been bested. I told him that, while he opposed the Goddess's will, he would be doomed to failure, and then I knocked him out, choosing to show him mercy.

Long story short, were it not for this beautifully acted out scene, where the party subtly saved my life, it would have been a moment of sacrifice, not a moment of triumph. My DM confessed to me that it could have played out either way, and if I fell in battle, he would actually have given me control of my brother, the Hellknight, who had some reason for wanting me dead, rather than actually wanting to serve that evil angel we were after.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nietzschean posted:

I liked that nice conclusion to your string of stories. Good post, thanks for sharing your adventures. One question: What do you mean by "Schrodinger's Dungeon"?
Schrodinger's Dungeon is the dungeon full of rooms in a state of quantum flux until you enter the room. So if you enter with full health and spells it will be one thing, but being at almost zero might make it something else (because the DM is moving encounters around so you all don't die).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So, having decided to "work for" the Inquisitorial acolyte/terrorist they were sent to kill or capture, my players were sent on a mission. Plant one of the super bombs in a corrupt noble's apartment attached to one of the hive support struts and kill him him, leaving the bomb somewhere in the apartment.

That took two sessions. In the first they made their way up the strut and used the bomb (which they'd modified to yield a much lower payload) to blow a hole in the wall. They shoot their way inside, make their way to the noble, and after a firefight in which the noble demonstrates clearly evil warp powers, all the guards are dead, the noble took 2 grenades to the face, and the acolytes recover an evil book.

The next session, they have to make good their escape. They go back the way they came and run smack into 5 heavily armed guards (with 3 players). After an ill-advised shootout, the group's two tanks are grievously wounded with 1 in critical damage, and the psyker is totally fine because he spent the whole fight using a power that made him nearly invisible. But they got out, so there's that. They drop the tech priest off at the mechanicus to get a replacement nose (the critical table said his nose exploded) and the cleric at a hospital, while the psyker figures out what to do with the book they found.

The psyker quickly realizes the contents of the book are beyond him, so he copies down a few of the complicated diagrams and takes the pages to the Administratum to hire an adept who can tell him what they mean. While this is happening, the tech priest phones the terrorist they work for and tells him everything - that they modified the bomb (against his orders of planting it), that they're in the hospital, that they found a book (he thought the cleric still had it and told him that too). Really just spilling the beans to the campaign antagonist.

So, the pysker's hired adept tells him to come back in an hour, so he goes to visit his friend cleric in the hospital. Shortly after he arrives, two goons come stomping down the hall followed by protesting nurses. The psyker leaves the room and hides in the adjacent room, totally leaving his cleric friend at the mercy of these guys. They barge in and start asking the cleric about the book and are generally pretty rough with him. He tells them he gave it to the psyker, who just left and if they hurried he's probably still in the building.

This is me: :ughh:

So the goons split up and start searching room to room. The psyker, listening from the room next door, knows he's about to be found and tries to use his power that makes him mostly invisible but :kamina: OH poo poo PERILS. What happens? He gets the one where he falls out of sync with time and completely disappears for one minute. The goon enters the room, sees it empty and leaves. Couldn't have planned it better.

After winking back into existence and knowing these goons were looking for him, the psyker decides to get the drop on one of them. He moseys down the hall and when the goon crosses the hall from one room to the other blasts his head off with a sawed-off shotgun. The other goon comes running from the other end of the hall, and the cleric gets out of bed and grabs his rifle. After a brief shootout the goons are dead and the acolytes get the hell out of there, leaving a dozen or so witnesses and two bodies.

They make their way to a hotel room and the psyker goes back to the adept he hired. Using the information from him, plus some of the passages he managed to translate, finds that this book is a complicated book of astromancy, attempting to match and predict the movements of astral bodies (planets and stars and such) to the ebb and flow of the warp. Interesting, but nothing he can use at the moment.

They decide to try to enlist the aid of the crime boss they worked for before, given that everyone they've encountered thus far is either in their target's pocket or has in some way been compromised. They explain the situation: he's going to destroy the hive and send it back into the dark ages. An exaggeration, but they wanted to scare her into helping. She's surprised to learn the man they're hunting is an Inquisitorial agent (she knows him by reputation as a very dangerous, long-lived man. Not one to cross and so has been avoiding him) and refused to help until they reveal their own Inquisitorial status. She agrees to help them while at the same time wondering what kind of poo poo she just walked into.

The man clearly wants the book. Why? There was a note inside, signed with the initials of one of the aliases he uses, implying that he gave the book to the noble he sent the acolytes to kill. Preventing the spread of tainted knowledge, or tying up loose ends? So, the plan is to lure him out to get the book, in person, then jump him with their power combined with that of the local crime lord.

Will it work? I don't know! But, I don't think a man as canny and as dangerous as he is would do much in person, and anything they cook up will reek of being a trap.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 14, 2012

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Clanpot Shake posted:

While this is happening, the tech priest phones the terrorist they work for and tells him everything - that they modified the bomb (against his orders of planting it), that they're in the hospital, that they found a book (he thought the cleric still had it and told him that too). Really just spilling the beans to the campaign antagonist.

Uh, why? Did he think it was a good time to go 'neener neener neener'? Was that his idea of a clever backstab?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

FredMSloniker posted:

Uh, why? Did he think it was a good time to go 'neener neener neener'? Was that his idea of a clever backstab?

He's "in character" as a robotman completely devoid of wiles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Clanpot Shake posted:

He's "in character" as a robotman completely devoid of wiles.
And here I had some vague hope that the terrorist target turning out to ACTUALLY be an evil warp slinging so and so convinced the guy Mr Terrorist was actually on the Up and Up about his claims.

"Guys he wants to blow up everything because everything is crazy and evil"
"Well that's just ridiculo-holy poo poo Warp Wielding Noble"

But that would be crazy.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Section Z posted:

And here I had some vague hope that the terrorist target turning out to ACTUALLY be an evil warp slinging so and so convinced the guy Mr Terrorist was actually on the Up and Up about his claims.

"Guys he wants to blow up everything because everything is crazy and evil"
"Well that's just ridiculo-holy poo poo Warp Wielding Noble"

But that would be crazy.
Well, everything they've found out about this terrorist points to his actions being justified. All of his past targets they've dug up have had Inquisitorial files opened on them, signs pointing to heretic, and in this case the noble they were sent to kill had committed enough bribery, coercion and blackmail to warrant his death. The terrorist also said he suspected the man was involved in heretical activity, as he suspects most of the upper hive is. When they killed him, they found he was indeed a heretic (in addition to being a scumbag), so the terrorist's claims have been pretty much verified. It's just that his methods are so extreme.

Basically, they're nominally on the same side but don't want him to carry out his plans of killing millions of people in an effort to "save the planet", and he's been tight-lipped about exactly how much info he has on the people in the upper hive - the targets of his bomb plot. They don't trust him one lick, and after this last session it looks like they're leaning more toward putting him down and dealing with the fallout than allowing or participating in his plot to murder millions for the nebulous reason of "saving the planet".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clanpot Shake posted:

Well, everything they've found out about this terrorist points to his actions being justified. All of his past targets they've dug up have had Inquisitorial files opened on them, signs pointing to heretic, and in this case the noble they were sent to kill had committed enough bribery, coercion and blackmail to warrant his death. The terrorist also said he suspected the man was involved in heretical activity, as he suspects most of the upper hive is. When they killed him, they found he was indeed a heretic (in addition to being a scumbag), so the terrorist's claims have been pretty much verified. It's just that his methods are so extreme.

Basically, they're nominally on the same side but don't want him to carry out his plans of killing millions of people in an effort to "save the planet", and he's been tight-lipped about exactly how much info he has on the people in the upper hive - the targets of his bomb plot. They don't trust him one lick, and after this last session it looks like they're leaning more toward putting him down and dealing with the fallout than allowing or participating in his plot to murder millions for the nebulous reason of "saving the planet".

That's fair, except that widespread heresy can doom the planet just as surely as collapsing those pylons can destroy the city.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

That's fair, except that widespread heresy can doom the planet just as surely as collapsing those pylons can destroy the city.

Better that millions of innocents die than a few heretics go free to infect further millions with their heresy and doom the entire planet to Exterminatus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nietzschean posted:

Better that millions of innocents die than a few heretics go free to infect further millions with their heresy and doom the entire planet to Exterminatus.

Its basically the thesis of 40k. One latent psycher kills a planet. One genestealer cult prepares it for the tyranids. One heretic cult of greedy nobles brings the planet to chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BattleMaster posted:

Space travel in many fictional universes is fairly slow, except most writers/GMs have the sense to fast-forward through it. In my BattleTech campaign, the entirety of the way the last journey was described was "okay, it takes 115 days to get there and absolutely nothing of note happens along the way."

Its better when you get something more like "it takes 115 days to get there. You spend a lot of them in the commissary flirting with one of the staff but it doesnt work out. The last few weeks are torture as you try to avoid each other on a tiny ship, and you are relieved when you can strap yourself back into your mech and kill some davion scum

You know, something human for the player to embroider their sheet of numbers a bit