Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
No, not even that because we don't all agree.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For the love of all that is holy, stay away from CASI sanctioning. They started off as a splinter group after the bean debacle of '87...

abadyn
May 21, 2008
Have you thought about putting some beans in it?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
My papa used to say "If you know beans about chili you know there aint no beans in chili". My papa was also a drug addicted alcoholic so I dunno...

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Made some chili last night, here's some of the specs:

Kidney beans
Chicken
NO ALCOHOL!!
Carrots
Onions
Some half-red jalapeno and "chili powder"
No fucks given ohoho

Overall, good chili build.

e: forgot tomatoes!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
If I sprinkle chili powder in a cup of water does that make it chili?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Texas rules say yes but only if someone sticks their dick in the cup.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

pr0k posted:

Texas rules say yes but only if someone sticks their dick in the cup.

You would probably have to leave your meat in the cup. Just dipping the tip in would give you spicy dick broth.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Here's the president's chili recipe: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/04/obamas-chili-recipe_n_89826.html

I made it 4 years ago with turkey and enjoyed it. It's a pretty standard Midwest style chili--not bland but not particularly exciting.

It's probably heresy but I really like Carrol Shelby's chili kit: http://www.amazon.com/Carroll-Shelbys-Original-Texas-4-Ounce/dp/B000H23Z1C The flavor is good, you can control the heat and consistency, and its super convenient. Shelby died earlier this year so ill definitely be making a batch this fall.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
A quarter-teaspoon of cumin? oh god it burnssss

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The 1/4 tsp. turmeric really brings out the, uh

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

The 1/4 tsp. turmeric really brings out the, uh

Kenyan Islamicness that is definitely not born in America :v:

edit: in all seriousness, that's not the worst midwest chili. at least it doesn't have cinnamon and other skyline chili poo poo.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 21, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if LBJ's is better or worse:

What kind of name is Ladybird anyway? posted:

4 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chile powder, or to taste
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, cut up
2 to 6 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
Salt to taste.

Cook the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned. Stir in the oregano, cumin, chile powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, salt and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks.

Yield: 12 servings.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Kenyan Islamicness that is definitely not born in America :v:

edit: in all seriousness, that's not the worst midwest chili. at least it doesn't have cinnamon and other skyline chili poo poo.

It's better if you think of it as spaghetti sauce.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

bunnielab posted:

I don't know if LBJ's is better or worse:

It looks slightly better until you do the double-take and realize it's for four pounds of meat. Which means the presidential ratio of 1/4 tsp cumin per pound of meat is an honored tradition I guess.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure what people think when they write/cook recipes like that. "Yep, this is totally not slightly flavored meat-water." :psyduck:

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

pr0k posted:

It looks slightly better until you do the double-take and realize it's for four pounds of meat. Which means the presidential ratio of 1/4 tsp cumin per pound of meat is an honored tradition I guess.

I was thinking it was kinda close to my chili colorado recipe, if a little under-spiced, and then realized the same thing. Even with 1 tsp of cumin per pound of meat, I don't know if the cumin flavor is overly noticeable in mine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The American midwest is where food goes to die right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Obama has an excuse, LBJ not so much.

I do recall the LBJ one using suet so maybe the one I posted is a false one?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
We should probably keep in mind that Obama has two young children who need to be able to eat it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

We should probably keep in mind that Obama has two young children who need to be able to eat it.

Lame weak children isn't what made America great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Lord Bude posted:

My kid eats spicy food, as do normal healthy kids from all over. Giving kids bland food ruins them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

The American midwest is where food goes to die right?
I know this is a joke but it still makes me sad. On that note, it's gotten chillier outside lately so that means it's chili season (which won't make any sense to you unless you live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

scuz posted:

I know this is a joke but it still makes me sad. On that note, it's gotten chillier outside lately so that means it's chili season (which won't make any sense to you unless you live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons).

Its both a joke and a real question. I'm from England and our Chilli is poo poo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

Its both a joke and a real question. I'm from England and our Chilli is poo poo.
The Midwest, in my experience, was the biggest "buyer" of the Betty Crocker mentality back when she hit the market; it's all in cans, cooking sucks, just add water, be done with it. As a result, some of today's Midwestern youth who grew up eating that crap feel like they could do better. We have started paying more attention to food as more than its basest purpose of keeping us alive, but as a hobby, art form, and avenue of self-expression. We fell the hardest, and while I think we're doing pretty great at the moment, there's a loooooong way to go.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
We all owe Julia Child a debt of gratitude for that.

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My kid eats spicy food, as do normal healthy kids from all over. Giving kids bland food ruins them.

Spicy and bland are not the only two options...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Duece Ex Machina posted:

Spicy and bland are not the only two options...

But if food is not spicy, then it is bland! False dichotomies ahoy!

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to be making a Chili and I was wondering if anyone had experience with including cheese rinds? I'd done it with success in soups but chili is enough different that I'd like a second opinion.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Never done it either; have in soup, same as you. I can't think of a reason not to. It's got glutamates. It's what plants crave.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BBQ Dave posted:

Well, it's chili cook off time in my town again. In 2010 I got people's choice, and in 2011 I failed to place at all with the same recipe

The bar I go to has a yearly chili-cookoff. By the 4th bowl of chili my tongue goes numb and I can't taste a drat difference between them, so don't feel bad.

I've decided there's no good canned chili. Surprise, surprise. I'll eat Hormel or Wolf at work, if I get a couple cans for $1, but it's not very good. At least as not as good as this guy thinks it is:

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10318323/wolf-brand-no-beans-chili-24-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

quote:

Best chili ever in a can.
07/24/2009
Camerageek
Kentucky
5 out of 5
I would recommend this over all other brands I have tryed this chili is the best esp. on hot dogs or frito pie.more walmarts should carry it esp. in Kentucky!!As far as canned chili you can't go wrong with it.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Are you surprised that your $0.50 meal isn't a delicious and high quality gustatory experience?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
There is good canned chili you make it your goddamn self and save it until you want it

Now you ahve me wanting to make chili rillettes

edit: and thats not even a good idea

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2012

Ono
Feb 8, 2012

You folks that are smoking your chili meat, do you fully smoke the meat, like you would with a smaller brisket (6-8 hours)? Or do you just smoke it for a couple of hours then cut it and grill or sear it?

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
I won a small chili cookoff yesterday. It was just an event in someone's basement. I got first place out of ten chilis. Most everyone's chili had beans or something in it. Many were made with ground meat.
Over the summer i developed a pretty good texas chili recipe, so i decided to use that recipe.

"Superfly Chili Snooka"
3 lb chuck roast
2 large shallots
6 cloves of garlic
1/2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 8 oz can tomato puree
1 1/2 qt chicken stock
salt

1st spices:
1 tbsp california chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin

2nd spices:
1 tbsp california chili powder
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
2 tsp smoked spanish paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp brown chipotle chili powder

The main thing you need to know is that all of the chili powder and cumin is ground fresh in a spice grinder. I took all my dry ancho, california, and chipotle chilis and cut the top off with scissors, then knocked all the seeds out and tossed them in a baking pan in the oven. I toasted them for about ten minutes, until i started smelling them with the oven door closed. Mostly this makes them easier to grind evenly, but it also intensifies their flavor.
I toasted the cumin in a pan and then ground that in a spice grinder. I'm not sure how much difference the fresh ground chili powders made over pre-ground, but doing the cumin fresh made a huge difference.

1. Heat up a dutch oven and brown your meat in the canola oil. I didn't salt the meat before putting it in and only flipped once. Don't crowd the pan, brown the meat in batches so it actually gets brown. Do this over med-low heat. Letting it get too hot at this stage will ruin the texture.
Once meat is brown, set it aside on a dish.

2. Increase the heat and toss your diced shallots in with a little salt and stir them around. You can crowd your pan a little, you don't want to brown the shallots themselves, just sweat them and get up most of the brown stuff the meat left on the bottom of the pan.
Cook your shallots until they're sweaty and translucent.

3. Add the diced garlic to the pan and cook it until it's very fragrant, but not burned. It should still smell fresh and pungent.

4. Add your first spices and stir them enough to incorporate with the shallots and garlic. Now add 1 qt of your chicken stock, and your 8 oz can of tomatoes. A lot of people like to go without the tomatoes, but i think it adds a nice color and bit of acidity and sweetness.

5. Bring the pot up to a light simmer, just a light simmer, not a boil. By light simmer i mean just a few bubbles coming up. A lot of times it was just steaming a lot without bubbling at all. This is, in my opinion, ideal chili cook temperature.

6. I cook this chili at the same light simmer with the lid off to prevent the temperature from getting too high, for about 2 1/2 hours. Having the lid off means that water will evaporate out, which is what the other 1/2 qt of chicken stock is for. While your chili is simmering, come back periodically and skim off the red foam that forms on the top. It's gross imo. Leaving it makes the chili worse.

7. After your chili has cooked for about 2 hours, the meat should be quite tender, but not falling apart into shreds. Add your second spices, then adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding chicken stock.

8. At this point you're almost ready to serve. Season with salt first, then use the vinegar and brown sugar to adjust the sweetness and acidity on your chili.
Finally, bring the heat level up by using your brown chipotle chili powder. Even if you deseed these before you grind them, they'll still bring a decent heat with a quality that i like. Also, chipotle have that great smokey flavor.

This chili was awesome, and easily one of the best things i've ever made. I was always skeptical of texas chili. After learning to make it myself, i've gotta admit that it can be really amazing, but totally different from the midwestern chili i ate growing up.

Exploded fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 30, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm making chili now, the ingredients I'm sure will cause an uproar.

beef
onions
habanero
ground arbol, ground cumin, salt, pepper
garlic
molasses
coffee flavored tequila
beef broth
liquid smoke
garden tomatoes
bell pepper
okra

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I've never worked with liquid smoke before. Sounds gross. The rest of it seems just fine though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heres Hank posted:

I've never worked with liquid smoke before. Sounds gross. The rest of it seems just fine though.

Liquid smoke is basically distilled smoke and condensation. Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on making liquid smoke at home with a couple of stainless bowls. I didn't do that though. Also my chili turned out too spicy for everyone else in the house, oh darn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

wormil posted:

Liquid smoke is basically distilled smoke and condensation. Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on making liquid smoke at home with a couple of stainless bowls. I didn't do that though. Also my chili turned out too spicy for everyone else in the house, oh darn.

I've never seen anything wrong with using liquid smoke, particularly in something like chili. As alluded to above; it's really just condensed smoke and can add a nice flavor in lieu of having other smokey ingredients available like chipotles or a nice smokey porter.