Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
I got the opportunity to shoot the Vancouver International Rugby Sevens a couple weeks ago. Sevens is great for photography because there's lots of open field running and scoring, plus the field isn't as crowded as 15's.

Only real problem with the day was that the conditions changed so much. It started with rain, went to overcast, to sunny, to overcast, and then partly cloudy with some sun. Makes for lovely pictures when you forget to update your settings as time goes on.

Here's a small sample of the 2500 (of which about 800 were worth keeping) that I shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Skinny Bins posted:

I got the opportunity to shoot the Vancouver International Rugby Sevens a couple weeks ago. Sevens is great for photography because there's lots of open field running and scoring, plus the field isn't as crowded as 15's.

Only real problem with the day was that the conditions changed so much. It started with rain, went to overcast, to sunny, to overcast, and then partly cloudy with some sun. Makes for lovely pictures when you forget to update your settings as time goes on.

Here's a small sample of the 2500 (of which about 800 were worth keeping) that I shot.

Oh hell yes, Sevens rules.

A few of these can use a much tighter crop. Notably the 2nd, 8th, and 11th shots. This way you get right in on the action and we don't see empty seats, wide open field (unless it adds to the shot) background walls or buildings, etc. Love the scrum shot and pregame huddle. :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

A few of these can use a much tighter crop. Notably the 2nd, 8th, and 11th shots. This way you get right in on the action and we don't see empty seats, wide open field (unless it adds to the shot) background walls or buildings, etc.

100% agree.

There are some really great moments in there, nice work.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Here are a few from this week's lot. I like to think they're a little better than the first ones, but it could just be my eyes too.

IMG_2124 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_2139 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_2336 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_2352 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_2372 by efcso1, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
#4 and #5 are the strongest of the lot. You're getting the action, but the problem is still the background. I know I shouldn't be saying this, but you should consider getting one of the expensive white lenses from Canon... :(

I got the chance to take pictures at the friendly between Vålerenga Fotball and Manchester United:

Vålerenga Fotball - Manchester United by azathosk, on Flickr

Bonus:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Sorry for the watermarks..I shoot for an agency. Couple shots from the latest DC United match:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I figure this is worth posting...

Usain Bolt posted:

Ever wonder what it’s like to be the world’s fastest man winning a gold medal at the Olympics? Usain Bolt wants you to know.

After sprinting to victory in the 200m race today, Bolt proceeded to run over to the photographers’ pit, commandeer one of the photographer’s Nikon DSLR, and snap super wide angle views of what he was experiencing. The photographer, Jimmy Wixtröm of Aftonbladet (Scandinavia’s largest paper), left the event with memories of a lifetime and a memory card containing epic images that are the envy of many a sports photographer.

Here are a few of the photographs captured by Bolt, showing fellow Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake joking around, a sea of fans cheering him on, and a wall of photographers trying to capture the moment for their organizations:

Original Article
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/09/usain-bolt-nabs-photographers-dslr-snaps-awesome-pov-shots/

Link to the gallery of Bolt pics.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/os2012/article15239832.ab

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That owns so loving hard.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGsbcTJZMM

Pretty interesting and awesome!

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
So, the owner of a local LCFL (regional American football) team has been referred to me to take pictures of an upcoming game this weekend. I've been told that the "price is negotiable," which is nice, because I was thinking that I'd do it for free.

I just have no idea how much to ask for. Any thoughts?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

n0n0 posted:

So, the owner of a local LCFL (regional American football) team has been referred to me to take pictures of an upcoming game this weekend. I've been told that the "price is negotiable," which is nice, because I was thinking that I'd do it for free.

Depends on what they are using it for. If they are going to use the photos for advertising, then you can ask for much more than if they are just using it for editorial. I have no idea how the finances look for that league. Have them make an offer, and see if it seems worth it to you.

Good luck!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

n0n0 posted:

30% of all ticket revenue and concession sales.

...so yeah, free :v:

Pukestain's right though. See what they're looking at, and what they want to do with the photos. In other news, photo credentials for the ND/Navy game in Dublin didn't come through. Ah, well. It was a pretty long shot anyways.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the tips, everybody. I don't know what I'd do without this thread :)

So, it looks like it's a night game, and the stadium is apparently a high school, so... I'm really nervous that the lighting situation is going to seriously suck rear end. I'll probably rent a 70-200 2.8, but I'm considering bringing an 85 1.8 too. Though I'm afraid that wouldn't focus fast enough for what I want.

According to some other forums, a price of US$100/hr is about average... so since it's my first paying sports gig, I'll probably give him a pretty hefty discount. And it's like 150 miles round trip.

Any tips for shooting sports in poor lighting? I'll probably have to use a flash.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

n0n0 posted:

Any tips for shooting sports in poor lighting? I'll probably have to use a flash.

For the love of god, don't do this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

n0n0 posted:

Thanks for the tips, everybody. I don't know what I'd do without this thread :)

So, it looks like it's a night game, and the stadium is apparently a high school, so... I'm really nervous that the lighting situation is going to seriously suck rear end. I'll probably rent a 70-200 2.8, but I'm considering bringing an 85 1.8 too. Though I'm afraid that wouldn't focus fast enough for what I want.

According to some other forums, a price of US$100/hr is about average... so since it's my first paying sports gig, I'll probably give him a pretty hefty discount. And it's like 150 miles round trip.

Skip the flash. It won't really help and if anything will prove a distraction to players and officials. High School football, by and wide, suuuuuccccks for lighting. Keep that f/2.8 wide open and crank your ISO.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Pukestain Pal posted:

For the love of god, don't do this.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Definitely don't use on-camera flash. If it's even allowed, which it shouldn't be by the venue and/or league, it will prove a distraction for the players. Even if you did, the photos would be lovely in their own right. High school lighting blows, it's just a fact of life. :smith:

Shoot wide open and crank up your ISO. Don't try to underexpose and then correct in post, because at the ISO you'll likely need, you'll lose so much detail that the result will be garbage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then once you get home, beeline for lightroom's noise reduction.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
yay for football preseason!

49ers fan fest:

5D3_3638 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3757 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3754 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3733 by capacity4action, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Preseason football you say?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

A little soccer from today:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Been a busy week shooting soccer:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how his left hand looks like it's trying to make the VW logo. That's some hard core sponsorship.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Been a busy week!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Been long since I've posted pictures in here, better do something about it:

Norway - Greece

Norway - Greece by azathosk, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

A bit of a celebration.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Punching teammates in the face is celebrating? :confused:

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Been a busy week!

I love this. The fog for player entrances makes for excellent backdrops.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I shot a shitload of sports this weekend, I still need to go through them all again to put together some blog posts but here's one I tossed up on facebook that I liked:

I couldn't figure out a good way to crop it so I just embraced the square.

(loving rough background, thanks DIII sports!)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I shot a shitload of sports this weekend, I still need to go through them all again to put together some blog posts but here's one I tossed up on facebook that I liked:

(loving rough background, thanks DIII sports!)

This looks like it ended painfully for both of them :ohdear:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

I would say that square crop was A Good Thing for this picture.

A few pictures from Saturday's match between VIF and Sandnes ULF:

Vålerenga - Sandnes Ulf by azathosk, on Flickr

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I tried taking some panning shots at a roller derby bout last weekend. The trouble with skaters is that, unlike cars, they change shape while they're moving, so the pans have to be pretty short, and still come out kinda crappy.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

azathosk posted:

I would say that square crop was A Good Thing for this picture.

Editors tend to *hate* square crops. It doesn't fit at the head of a story and doesn't work as side photo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

a foolish pianist posted:

I tried taking some panning shots at a roller derby bout last weekend. The trouble with skaters is that, unlike cars, they change shape while they're moving, so the pans have to be pretty short, and still come out kinda crappy.

All the same, roller derby bouts are so so fun to shoot at. When you get an awesome picture of a collision or angry face or a cool panning shot, it's so satisfying.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Pukestain Pal posted:

Editors tend to *hate* square crops. It doesn't fit at the head of a story and doesn't work as side photo.

Yep, which is why I never like to use them. If I were filing that I'd probably crop up from the bottom to make it a landscape orientation.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Not sure where to put this. I wanted to put it in PAD but I don't have a critique ready.

Portrait? Lighting? Show Yourself? It certainly wasn't low effort so I don't think it's good for the photo dump thread.

Self-portrait:

IMG_9840.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

This was actually much harder to pull off than I thought (and I was expecting lots of trouble). Later tonight I'll do a write up of how I did it, what went wrong, and ask for some advice. I will probably post it in the lightning thread because that's what a lot of my questions are about.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
It's hockey time again :woop:

Couple pics from first preseason. Oh boy, did I suck without any offseason shooting. Also, gently caress glares. :argh:

There is few more on my flickr.

IMG_9789 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9757 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9763 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9725 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9685 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9577 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9694 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9739 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9783 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

e: VVVVVVVVV I know guys, I know :smith:

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 17, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not hockey time in Canada/US. :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's not hockey time in Canada/US. :smith:

:smith::respek::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I've been mobbing with bike racers recently and had the chance to try my hand shooting a couple events.

First was an enduro - timed downhill runs with rally-style ascending liaison stages.

With a memorial dock-jump competition afterwards!

This past weekend there was a nighttime cyclocross race, which was way laid back and a total blast. Turns out PBR is race fuel. And panning is hard.