Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

spite house posted:

It's a fantastic name. It just falls into the Menlo Park Anglo kid named Nazim category of situational dissonance. And would cause a lifetime of being addressed as "Uh".
You also can't become a bartender.

When I was about seven my favourite team added a new player named Nicky Butt which I found endlessly hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In my school when was a kid there was a girl named Kim Chi. I didn't know her, just that she was on the roll, and my 7th grade math teacher always intentionally pronounced it as one word.

TheDon01 posted:

At work I've processed orders for both Aaron Assman and Mamoth Panda.

A bunch of years back, David Letterman was fixated on a guy he or his staff found in a phone book named "Dick Assman."

anal toot
Sep 14, 2011
My old flatmate went to school with two girls called Flossie Topping and Honour Ferry.

My neighbour was called Peterette. I guess her parents really liked the name Peter but when they got stuck with a girl, well....

Of course there is also the German alpine skier Fanny Chmelar, and the radio presenter Fenella Fudge.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

jojoinnit posted:

Gay-Shufflebottom-Lord :allears:

I really hope he ends up a member of the upper house. Lord Gaylord.

Ubiquitous They posted:

There was also a guy with the last name Butt.

Just reminded me of another one I saw in the hospital: Anum Butt. I don't know if it was actually pronounced like "a numb butt", but I cracked up when I saw it. There was a fair number of Butts at the hospital, it's apparently one spelling of a Kashmiri surname.

Indentured Servant posted:

In the 1800s and early 1900s there seemed to be an epidemic of children named Lemon and Orange.

Dear anyone who thinks that awful names are a recent phenomenon: the Victorians did it first.
Here, have a Horrible Histories sketch.
http://youtu.be/QMp_xGeQ2v0

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

bringmyfishback posted:

I love that name, and my dad is Welsh, so it wouldn't be too terrible if I named my kid that, but I cannot imagine a child named Mfanwy running around rural Montana, fighting bears and poo poo or whatever it is people do here.

As a fellow Liz-Lemon-avatar-having-person, I had to read that post as Liz Lemon, and it made me laugh.

And for the record, I also think Myfanwy is a great name, and I would totally name a human child that. Although it would also constantly remind me of the Decemberists lyric that goes like, "Ugly Myfanwy died on delivery; mercifully taking her mother along."

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I've actually freely said my first name on the forums before, but now that there's an actual thread devoted to terrible names, I can feel a bit of dread welling up. Let me preface by saying that I don't mind my name, but I understand why it belongs on a list of terrible names. My only comforts are that I really like my last name and chicks seem to dig my first name, despite being terrible.

Rabbit

As I've been told, the other option that was heavily weighed when I was born was Wolfgang Amadeus, with the Amadeus being my middle name. I actually wouldn't have been entirely opposed to that had I not been a baby, although combined with my last name, it'd create a Teutonic trifecta that would have made even loving Hitler proud.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

fizzy-o posted:

Sisters named Sailor and Liberty

I'll post more if I remember them.

Do you live near the South Bay Area? Those are my friend's daughter's names.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I had a half-Japanese friend a while back whose first name was Kira. This wouldn't seem too out-of-the-ordinary, except for the fact that a) he was a dude and b) きらきら ('kirakira') is the Japanese onomatopeia for 'to glitter/sparkle'. I personally thought it was neat (well at first I thought he was just a huge Death Note fan), but he seemed to have a bit of a Boy Named Sue-style complex over it.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
No silly name will ever top Josephus Guzby in my eyes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
You encounter a good few people with silly names in the goth scene. Some of them, unfortunately, actually change their legal names to whatever their internet name is. I met a girl who claimed to have changed her name to Zillah Nephilim, and at a festival the girl checking into a hotel just ahead of me gave her name as Cassandra Borgia

A while back, my Dad phoned me and was barely able to speak due to laughing so much. He eventually managed to explain that his wife had accidentally cut off the tip of her finger and they were waiting for the local doctor to arrive (they live in a very rural area, so going to a hospital A&E wasn't an option). His laughter seemed somewhat out of place, but then he told me that the doctor that he'd just spoken to was called Dr Guillotine

Gen. Specific
Jan 17, 2004

Hello ladles.
Kanapol Likhitlersuang

Pronounced "can a Pol' lick Hitlers wang?" went to school with a friend.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The King of Swag posted:

I've actually freely said my first name on the forums before, but now that there's an actual thread devoted to terrible names, I can feel a bit of dread welling up. Let me preface by saying that I don't mind my name, but I understand why it belongs on a list of terrible names. My only comforts are that I really like my last name and chicks seem to dig my first name, despite being terrible.

Rabbit

As I've been told, the other option that was heavily weighed when I was born was Wolfgang Amadeus, with the Amadeus being my middle name. I actually wouldn't have been entirely opposed to that had I not been a baby, although combined with my last name, it'd create a Teutonic trifecta that would have made even loving Hitler proud.
I think it's cool, like you're straight put of an SE Hinton book.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do you live near the South Bay Area? Those are my friend's daughter's names.

Tell your friend he's a terrible person.

My favorites are:

Dea D. Blagerhoff - looked like Dead Blagerhoff on paper
Carmen Garmen
Wing Ding
Toshiro Sanchez - the guy looked completely white to boot

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST
One guy in my brother's university freshman picture had the name E. Lovett Gay, which 10 year old me found intensely hilarious.

When I went to uni myself I met a gentleman called Hakim Hakim Hakim. His name, middle name and surname were all just Hakim. He was a weird fellow.

Also a friend of mine has a sister called Caoimhe (pronounced Keeva). It's an Irish name, not unheard of in the UK, so not terrible but still very weird when I first came across it.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
I was a TA in high school and saw some interesting names, to say the least.

We had twins named Legion and Arrow, a girl named Baby [Lastname], a girl named Champayle, and a dude named Ricardo Pichardo.

My fiance worked with a girl named Eowyn-Rose Galadriel [Lastname], who's boyfriend proposed to her with a replica of Galadriel's Ring of Power. It was sort of very :3:

And personally, my middle name is America, as I was the first kid in my family born here.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
Found this in the paper once:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

madlilnerd posted:

Here, have a Horrible Histories sketch.
http://youtu.be/QMp_xGeQ2v0
I loving love Horrible Histories.

Anyway, the guy who voices Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants is named Roger Bumpass.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Celery Face posted:

"Okay" is a great name. If only it was paired with the surname "Goodenough"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Celery Face posted:

Anyway, the guy who voices Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants is named Roger Bumpass.

You just reminded me that the English voice of Happosai in Inuyasha is French Tickner. Now I'm going to try and forget that I watched Inuyasha years ago

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

There was a girl in my school whose unfortunate parents had double-barrelled their names to end up with Gordon-Brown. It obviously got changed pretty quickly when the man himself became Prime Minister.

My own family could be pretty sadistic. Naming one child Valentina is ok, but then naming the other Valentino is pretty dickish.

goodbyebluesky
Sep 14, 2007

There are a ton of terrible names out there, one of the funniest I've seen was a guy who's name is Lil'Rick Momo Morris . Legally this is his name (I saw his ID as proof) but he prefers to go by Rick most of the time.

goodbyebluesky has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Sep 16, 2012

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Coolboy Ngamole and Goodluck Jonathan are particular favourites of mine, especially as the latter is the President of Nigeria

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.
One of my wife's second grade students a few years back was named Canyon Kelley, which led me to wonder why the kid was even bothering with school. Some badass private eye should've taken him under his wing years ago.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

If your name is Al, you missed a perfect opportunity.

Oh, very clever :golfclap:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I went to high school with a Richard Simmons and a Susie Seaman.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

That is a photoshop.

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009
I went to school with a Princess Porter, a Hung Duong and a 6'8" blonde mohawked metal fan named Thor. There was also a girl a grade below me named Sapphyre.

And in names that match job descriptions my father-in-law had his vasectomy performed by a Dr. Richard Chop.

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~
Somewhat similar to unfortunate post-marriage names, business partners can get pretty weird. There are two nearby that come to mind:

Hyman & Johnson Construction
Burley-Stroker Chiropractic

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
A friend of mine (who gets quite nervous around doctors) went to get a keloid on her ear removed and the guy doing it was called Dr Cleaver :chef:

I remembered that just now and tried to look him up. Didn't look hard enough to find one in the UK, but there's a whole Cleaver dermatology clinic somewhere called Kirksville, MO, with no less than 3 Dr Cleavers who would probably hack off chunks of skin for you if you wanted.

Edit: Just noticed on Regretsy there's a story about a woman named Holley Biffle. Who the hell puts an "e" in Holly?

madlilnerd has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Sep 16, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

madlilnerd posted:

Edit: Just noticed on Regretsy there's a story about a woman named Holley Biffle. Who the hell puts an "e" in Holly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holley_Performance_Products
http://www.holley.com/

Probably someone who's really into cars/NASCAR.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

madlilnerd posted:

Also got confused by a patient who hadn't had her records updated and was still listed with the first name "baby". Turned out her parents had actually named her Baby.

My mom is a teacher and saw the birth certificate of an incoming kindergartener whose first name was listed as Infant.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia named a county for Samuel Butts. As of last check, no business in the county used it as part of their name.

I graduated from high school with a Rocky Stone, Rocky being his legitimate first name. That may be an awesome name, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My sister-in-law works with poor kids in the Coromandel. Her favourite: A-a. Pronouced: 'Adasha'.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

sebmojo posted:

My sister-in-law works with poor kids in the Coromandel. Her favourite: A-a. Pronouced: 'Adasha'.

That girls parents should literally be sterilized and sectioned. That is the absolute worst name I've ever seen. Electric Buttram is funny because it's there's a clear goonish lack of damns given on the part of the parents/guy who changed his name. But A-a is the epitome of "look how clever I am, look at what a unique and beautiful snowflake my child is, that's why she needs a name this clever. For I, you see, am so incredibly clever." but without any cleverness or humor to back it up.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

sebmojo posted:

This didn't happen.

Next person who posts Le-a or A-a or some other "the dash ain't silent" name gets a week probation. It's not true, and has been proven many times over the course of this thread to be false.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

This didn't happen.

Next person who posts Le-a or A-a or some other "the dash ain't silent" name gets a week probation. It's not true, and has been proven many times over the course of this thread to be false.
Thanks, that was getting really annoying.

Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspektor. That's like something you plan to name your kid when you're six.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Next person who posts Le-a or A-a or some other "the dash ain't silent" name gets a week probation.

Thank you.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
I remember a few years ago reading an article about a baby named "Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K," with that first part being pronounced "your highness." I think there is/was a college football player named Yourhighness as well. At least the first dude can go by Kendall.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

This is 100% real. As a person who was forced to attend many highschool international studies courses I can assure you he is a fairly prominent South African political leader and former anti-apartheid freedom fighter. And while his last name is pronounced closer to Seh-Wall-Ee, his nickname is pronounced just like the city (because he was into Karate as a kid).

I have the name of a fairly famous dead musician, so I'm almost un-googleable. And whats weird is that I am in no way unique, I have three other relatives close in age with the EXACT SAME NAME. I told my girlfriend that when we get married she can choose whatever name she wants and we'll get our name changed to it, because A) I Don't speak to anyone on the side of the family my name is from and B)It isn't our actual family name, my great grandfather changed it at Ellis Island in order to make sure we weren't the target of antisemitism (he was coming from Nazi Germany, and was also a staunch atheist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Back when he was playing for the Buffalo Bills, I had several people tell me Peerless Price was named after something his mother read off of the side of a van. Never heard it from a reliable source, but it's an odd name regardless.