Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ghost Pig must be the worst movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
It's probably a parody of McDull, a very popular cartoon character.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This might by my control pad (PS3) but I bought the game yesterday and while it seems awesome has anyone else experienced 'clunkiness' in combat? By which I mean Wei sometimes not acknowledging you pressed counter and sometimes despite pressing a direction with the analogue stick he will stand still, which is extremely frustrating when fighting 5 people at once.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Lofty132 posted:

This might by my control pad (PS3) but I bought the game yesterday and while it seems awesome has anyone else experienced 'clunkiness' in combat? By which I mean Wei sometimes not acknowledging you pressed counter and sometimes despite pressing a direction with the analogue stick he will stand still, which is extremely frustrating when fighting 5 people at once.

If you press counter when nobody is attacking you, Wei goes into a fighting pose and can't move or attack for a second or so. Don't mash counter.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Oceanbound posted:

It's probably a parody of McDull, a very popular cartoon character.

First time I've ever heard of it. Then again I've never lived or very knowledgeable about popular culture in HK. My problem with the movie poster was that I was expecting some classic movie poster, 70's or 80's HK movies or the such. Instead I got some cheap cartoon. I just got trolled and conned at the same time. By the game developers.

Guess I gotta give them that atleast.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished the game. I liked it, though it was a bit shorter than I expected and the side missions were short, few in number and unimaginative. I liked the Hong Kong setting and that I felt I was in a city, not a big toy box as in Saints Row 3. I liked the combat, and was really getting a good rhythm going towards the end.
I was a bit pissed off when Jackie was killed after right after I saved him in the previous mission and there was one terrible QTE near the end where I died fifty times because I wasn't tapping spacebar at exactly the right speed.
I found the ability to kill innocents with no consequences really took me out of the game. The serious tone of the game and gang members saying repeatedly 'cops don't kill people' was undermined somewhat when I ran over three people on my way to the mission. I would much rather pedestrians ran out of the way like in Crazy Taxi or Driver.
I think I wanted it to be Shenmue 3.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oceanbound posted:

If you press counter when nobody is attacking you, Wei goes into a fighting pose and can't move or attack for a second or so. Don't mash counter.

You are correct, I just suck. If you fail drug busts they don't respawn. Should I worry about failing my first two or is it not essential?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/10/sleeping-dogs-mod-adds-first-person-perspective-trackir-support/ Looks like mods are starting to come out. This one adds first person view. Has anyone tried this one yet?

3D Budgie
Sep 11, 2011

Lofty132 posted:

You are correct, I just suck. If you fail drug busts they don't respawn. Should I worry about failing my first two or is it not essential?
They do respawn.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Lofty132 posted:

They do. Just wait a few hours and come back.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Stumbling Block posted:

Someone may have talked about this already but you know how you can come across people in the street selling off things that "fell off the back of a truck" to furnish your homes?

Where do you find these people? I ran into a guy early on selling an A/C unit near the Night Market, but never found him again. No one else has offered to sell me anything of dubious origin and quality since.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Each apartment has four "upgrades" you can buy for it from these special dealers. They don't appear on the minimap, so you just have to look for someone with a speech bubble over their head that doesn't have a food stand or stall.

The vendors only appear in the same district as the apartment, after you've unlocked the apartment for that district. That narrows things down a little, at least.

I only had to ask for help to find one of them, thankfully. Just explore everywhere. Wander down alleys. Walk in the park, or down the boardwalk. Most of the upgrades don't actually do anything, but if you're a completionist you'll probably want to find them all.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Finally got around to finishing the main story. I'm surprised you don't get with Inspector Teng; I would have bet money that would happen in the end. In fact, I think it would have been neat from a plotline point of view if you were romantically involved with her from the start and she had to deal with increasing tensions as you rose within the Triads. IMO that would be better than the random dating minigames.

Additionally I thought Wei was uncharacteristically cold as hell to Pendrew. Even though "revenge served cold" is a classic Hong Kong cinema trope, he was just trying to make the city better!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

nous_ posted:

Additionally I thought Wei was uncharacteristically cold as hell to Pendrew. Even though "revenge served cold" is a classic Hong Kong cinema trope, he was just trying to make the city better!

Well, given that Pendrew sold you out (which ended up with you getting brutally tortured), killed Uncle Po, and probably had a hand with Jackie, I don't think it was too cold. The guy betrayed him.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, given that Pendrew sold you out (which ended up with you getting brutally tortured), killed Uncle Po, and probably had a hand with Jackie, I don't think it was too cold. The guy betrayed him.

Now that you mention it, that last bit makes a lot of sense. Pendrew doesn't seem the type to let things go, especially when being made to do something he doesn't want to do. Wei forcing him to release Jackie likely just made him respond in an 'If I can't have him nobody can' kind of way.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah while Pendrew may die a quick and violent death, which more merciful than what he deserved since he not only gave up Wei, but also possibily Jackie and the former undercover cop, I won't be surprised if he turns up again if there is a sequel. Especially since the 18K issue is still unresolved.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Spoilers:

Pendrew talks a good game about "doing what must be done" and "making the city safer", but it all rings hollow. Pendrew cut that deal with Uncle Po so that he could become Superintendent. He made Wei jump through hoops to ensure Pendrew would get big splashy arrests of Sun On Yee members, and then hung Wei out to dry at the funeral, though I suspect that was pettiness over Wei defying him more than anything. Pendrew put Wei and Big Smile Lee at each others throats, and used the unraveling of the Triad to get himself a spot at Interpol.

Pendrew did it all to feed his own ambition. In the end, he was no better than Uncle Po or Dogeyes or any of the Triads he held in such contempt. He only made one mistake; he bet against Wei Shen. That cost him his career, his freedom, and more than likely his life. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
In a way, he's worse than Uncle Po, since there was no doubt as to who Uncle Po was. He harbored no illusions of his morality, he did not pretend to be trying to bring about the law while breaking it left and right.

The only flaw with the game is that Pendrew doesn't get explored enough. It really should be a shock, but he's sort of just serves as a deus ex machina. This event must happen, and Pendrew is the reason why it can happen. I think if they spent more time, it would have felt more natural.

But that's the only major flaw I see with the storytelling, and it doesn't take away from their definition of Wei's character.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

In a way, he's worse than Uncle Po, since there was no doubt as to who Uncle Po was. He harbored no illusions of his morality, he did not pretend to be trying to bring about the law while breaking it left and right.

That scene in the hospital at the end was awesome and really summed up Pendrew's character.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

It doesn't help that Uncle Po treated Wei fairly -- recognizing and rewarding Wei as a loyal, self-disciplined and forward-thinking foot soldier before eventually promoting him to Red Pole alongside Big Smile Lee and Broken Nose Jiang, while in contrast Pendrew treated Wei condescendingly, abandoned Wei at the construction site in "Chain of Evidence" to flee the police himself after shooting the corpse with Charlie Peng's handgun which had Wei's fingerprints on it (though Pendrew held it briefly), was arbitrary about wanting to pull Wei out after Sonny Wo was taken down, then out of pettiness or not at Jackie's release and at Wei "unnecessarily" cursing him to keep his cover, he abandoned Wei to die at the hands of 18K, which sealed his fate even before compromising Wei.

* I can't help but think that in effect, Wei turned against his original mission of taking down the Sun On Yee after the events of the funeral, and that Pendrew abandoned Wei to die because Wei (by being able to force him to release Jackie) had power over Pendrew, just like Uncle Po.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This game is fantastic and I'd pay for a DLC that lets you add your own music so I can play the opening theme from this on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2puaI9V8Osc

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
I agree with what everybody's saying above, but I still think that Pendrew didn't do anything particularly terrible in the grand justice scheme of things. He assassinated the kingpin of a criminal syndicate, and he "betrayed" an undercover operative who was dangerously close to switching sides and becoming an insanely competent Sun On Yee boss. Most of Pendrew's actions (until the last cutscene) could be those of a man fanatically dedicated to bringing the triads to justice.

The very last cutscene makes Pendrew's character explicitly villainous but it felt a little added-on to me, like they just needed to wrap up the plotline. To be honest, I thought for sure that the previous cop killed by the Sun on Yee was going to turn out to have been Pendrew's son - therefore revealing that Wei isn't the only one with personal stakes in this mission. It would have been a nice complement to Pendrew's "by any means necessary" attitude if it was shown that he's motivated/haunted by a personal vendetta just like Wei.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

nous_ posted:

I agree with what everybody's saying above, but I still think that Pendrew didn't do anything particularly terrible in the grand justice scheme of things. He assassinated the kingpin of a criminal syndicate, and he "betrayed" an undercover operative who was dangerously close to switching sides and becoming an insanely competent Sun On Yee boss. Most of Pendrew's actions (until the last cutscene) could be those of a man fanatically dedicated to bringing the triads to justice.

The very last cutscene makes Pendrew's character explicitly villainous but it felt a little added-on to me, like they just needed to wrap up the plotline. To be honest, I thought for sure that the previous cop killed by the Sun on Yee was going to turn out to have been Pendrew's son - therefore revealing that Wei isn't the only one with personal stakes in this mission. It would have been a nice complement to Pendrew's "by any means necessary" attitude if it was shown that he's motivated/haunted by a personal vendetta just like Wei.

In regards to Pendrew not being "terrible in the grand justice scheme of things", do you get your definition of justice from 24 and Fox News?

Pendrew was not exactly a great guy. Murder is both illegal and immoral, framing and betraying employees/friends is unethical, and in case you somehow missed it, Pendrew made deals with criminals solely to procure power for himself. If you thought the last scene was added-on, you somehow missed the most important theme of the game: there are no good guys or bad guys, only eerily similar cops and criminals. I guess you probably also missed the part where Wei is also doing things "by any means necessary" and that both Uncle Po and Wei Shen himself served as counterparts to Pendrew's attitude. If you think those actions make Pendrew a good guy, you're seriously loving mistaken or don't understand something fundamental about treating other human beings with respect.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 16, 2012

nous_
May 14, 2010

(and herpes)

Pickled Kittens posted:

If you think those actions make Pendrew a good guy, you're seriously loving mistaken or don't understand something fundamental about treating other human beings with respect.

Easy there, slugger. We're talking about the plot of a kung fu video game here.

And that's technically a spoiler so please hide the first bit.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

nous_ posted:

Wei was tested. Pendrew asked him to turn over Jackie, and he did so, under protest, but he did so because it was his duty to do so. So, that fear of him becoming a Sun On Yee does not justify Pendrew's actions. If we were to look at Pendrew's actions, they are not the actions of a police officer.

Also, we are given Raymond to further contrast Pendrew with. Raymond's primary concern with the mission is Wei's ability to handle it. He says "That's what I'm afraid of, you are one of them." He's worried about Wei's ability to protect himself and keep himself on the right side of the law. And yet, Raymond never resorts to any tricks or anything like that. Rather, he confronts Wei in a safe spot, he provides Wei with the support that he needs, and at the end, he bails out Wei from being arrested.

Pendrew was just as crooked as the Sun On Yee. We are given no signs before hand that show him to be any different. In fact, he has Wei tamper with a murder scene! I agree with you that the scene feels tacked on, but that's because they never really established Pendrew's character.

Ultimately, the theme of the game is identity. Who are we, and how do we define ourselves? The mechanics and the story seem to support that we are defined by our actions. Thankfully, the game allows us to determine to some extent who Wei is, by the final question of the game. When he says that Hong Kong feels like home, Teng asks him "Which Hong Kong?"

As for Pickles No Good Guys or Bad Guys point, I think he makes one flaw. It's not that the cops and the gangsters are eerily similar. They are not all crooked. Rather, morality comes from something other than your affiliations. Take Jackie for instance. When he kills a man, he is traumatized. This is supposed to be normal for him, it's an expectation that men will be killed. But until that point, his involvement in the gang was simple harassing people for money and theft. But when things get serious, he realizes that he can't carry on this way. Even though is Sun On Yee, he ends up being a moral voice in the organization.

It's the same thing with Raymond and Teng. We are given no sign of them being corrupt or terrible or lacking dedication to the side of justice. But once again, it is not their affiliation that defines them, but rather, their actions.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 16, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Having fun with this so far. Not done much yet, got a bit sidetracked with the hilarious ram thing with vehicles. Haven't even had a gun yet. Beat up some monks, hacked some security cameras, committed insurance fraud, stuffed a guy's head in a fan (several times), did some flying kicks (including a few on some old men with walking sticks), delivered someone's lunch money, and ended up at a fight club where I threw most of the opponents off the balcony. I've thrown people into boxes, telephone booths, and vending machines. I love that one where Wei picks up the phone and clocks the bad guy with it.

Running around with a silly hat and a blue t-shirt with a dinosaur in it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Note re: Wei: I believe that he doesn't have any "offensive" kills story-wise (stuff that might legally be premeditated murder) where he wasn't provoked except for Johnny Ratface and Dogeyes (at Mrs. Chu's hands) and Yung Lee On in "Initiation"? Otherwise his story-mandated body count is basically the guards in the warehouse where Siu Wah was, the gunmen at Winston's wedding, 18K at the funeral & subsequent fighting, then Tong, Ponytail and finally Big Smile Lee?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
It's interactive because you decide

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There seriously need to be a sequel for this if it sells well enough. I mean like I said before, there is some serious unresolved issues with the 18K, especially with the Water Street now seriously crippled, with their only possible leader that can get them thru it, is an undercover cop. And remember how it was mentioned that weapons are an irregularity in HK? Yet look at the advanced assault rifles going around. Where the hell did they come from? Related somehow?

That's some serious foreboding there...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Stumbling Block posted:

There seriously need to be a sequel for this if it sells well enough. I mean like I said before, there is some serious unresolved issues with the 18K, especially with the Water Street now seriously crippled, with their only possible leader that can get them thru it, is an undercover cop. And remember how it was mentioned that weapons are an irregularity in HK? Yet look at the advanced assault rifles going around. Where the hell did they come from? Related somehow?

I forget if I saw it mentioned here or another place where I discussed Sleeping Dogs, but I saw an idea someone had for a sequel where you play as "Broken Nose" Jiang in 80s Hong Kong.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Stumbling Block posted:

I believe it was said that, if not heavily implied that somebody who may or may not have been an rear end in a top hat superior officer was supplying the 18k with government issue weapons in order to start a gang war and push the police to crack down on the triads so that they could get a nice shiny promotion.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I bought a new car, drove around for a while, saved and went to dinner. Started it back up and the car isn't in my garage. :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:stare:

While driving around like an idiot, I got my supercar stuck in a very narrow staircase with walls on both sides of me

I tapped Y and... smashed and climbed out the front window. I love this game :haw:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Brotip: You can run up a wall to do a spinning kick, but you can also hold away from the wall and hit A to jump off of it, and then hit attack to do a delayed kick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe you can. I've got all the coordination of a sea cucumber and just get by with mashing buttons. :smith:

nous_
May 14, 2010

(and herpes)

Chortles posted:

Note re: Wei: I believe that he doesn't have any "offensive" kills story-wise (stuff that might legally be premeditated murder) where he wasn't provoked except for Johnny Ratface and Dogeyes (at Mrs. Chu's hands) and Yung Lee On in "Initiation"? Otherwise his story-mandated body count is basically the guards in the warehouse where Siu Wah was, the gunmen at Winston's wedding, 18K at the funeral & subsequent fighting, then Tong, Ponytail and finally Big Smile Lee?

Assuming hand-to-hand combat kills people (since it counts as "Innocent Killed" in cop scoring), the Buddhist monks you kill in order to steal a flower for the wedding. He is OK with putting innocent people in the ICU.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And depending on how you play, half the pedestrians he meets.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
As an actual cop, the wedding, hospital, and funeral were the only situations Shen was ever in where I would have felt "It is acceptable within my duty to shoot these people." Dude is a mass murderer, no way around it. The "I had to do this to infiltrate a gang as part of an undercover operation" defense for the warehouse would not fly in a courtroom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The court found that those gangsters held their own faces inside the furnace as part of a bizarre initiation ritual. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

nous_ posted:

Assuming hand-to-hand combat kills people (since it counts as "Innocent Killed" in cop scoring), the Buddhist monks you kill in order to steal a flower for the wedding. He is OK with putting innocent people in the ICU.
Couldn't you technically just run away from them to Peggy's car?

• Locked thread