Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Went 2-1 at FNM with what felt like a not too terrible RG aggro deck. P1p1 Rancor, p2p1 Rancor, p3p1 Flinthoof Boar. I definitely should have been on the lookout for more creatures, I ran 13 for the first two rounds and dropped a Mountain for the lonely Timberpack Wolf in Round 3. Round 1 game 1 I got to live the dream of turn one Mountain, turn two Rootbound Crag/Flinthoof Boar, turn 3 Rancor/Rancor/take 7 against RW Sleeping Dragon/Red Ring. I lost round 2 to the guy who ended up winning our pod, he had a BG deck with more removal than I could handle given that I hit pockets of land 5-6 deep right out of the gate both matches. Round three was against a UW Fog Bank/Talrand's Invocation deck where I won by just putting down more tokens than he could handle. Seem t have a hard time pulling stuff out for sideboarding unless what I pull out is blatantly unhelpful against the other desk (pulling out Volcanic Strength for Smelt against a frequently used Jayemdae Tome against a deck with no Mountains).

Here's the list I finished with:

Maindeck

1x Arms Dealer
1x Bladetusk Boar
1x Goblin Arsonist
1x Mindclaw Shaman
1x Reckless Brute
1x Centaur Courser
1x Primal Huntbeast
1x Primordial Hydra
2x Flinthoof Boar
1x Timberpack Wolf
1x Vastwood Gorger
1x Yeva's Forcemage
1x Cleaver Riot
2x Krenko's Command
1x Trumpet Blast
1x Volcanic Strength
1x Fungal Sprouting
1x Prey Upon
2x Rancor
1x Ring of Kalonia
1x Primal Clay
1x Rootbound Crag
8x Forest
7x Mountain

Sideboard
2x Kindled Fury
1x Smelt
1x Turn to Slag
1x Volcanic Strength
1x Ranger's Path
1x Jayemdae Tome
1x Kitesail
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Erase
1x Harbor Serpent
1x Divination
1x Mind Sculpt
1x Mind Rot
1x Sign in Blood
1x Crimson Muckwader
1x Reliquary Tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Went 2-1 at FNM with what felt like a not too terrible RG aggro deck

I'd run Evolving Wilds here (and almost every other non-mono M13 limited deck). Sometimes it'll be a small pain, but other times it'll rescue a game.

I'd also run Turn to Slag - you have almost no removal, and it sucks to be drawing dead to a Krenko or something.

In general, I think I like Turn to Slag more than most... I've won a lot of games by over-stacking red removal and riding an early drop (Reckless Brute, more often than not) all the way. Especially online, you can pick up slags very late.

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.
I don't post here much so I hope sealed pool brags aren't considered in bad taste. I was just shocked at how much power was in these six packs.

I probably should have cut ghostly flicker for at least one stern mentor.

EDIT: Every mythic/rare was blue or white.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think Trident over Stern Mentor actually, plus Thraben Valiant over the wall at two drop slot in main.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
someone was just on Michael Jacob's stream complaining about your pool.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Trying to MTGO PTQ, opened this:

I looked at running Esper too, pland playing Invocation, archeomancer, scatter, and unsummons; but I think that would have put me far off my primary plan of exalted beats with removal. Also I probably would have dropped several more creatures, and been too creature light to play. I'm not running rise because no targets. Any other advice? Anything I'm missing?

Round 1 I lost 1-2 to Yeva.dec basically. Won game 1 on removal, lost game 2 to some misplays and general lack of gas. Lost game 3 to mull to 6 that I should have mulled to 5 and not getting a swamp until I was already dead.

Round 2: I lost 0-2. Game 1 I lost to Nefarox I wasn't able to answer. Game 2 We had on-color ring staredown that he broke with Ajani. I made a couple of completely stupid misplays, but I did manage to mutilate an Ajani ultimate.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 16, 2012

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I've been doing a lot of M13 drafting lately and one card that I previously thought blew is standing out to me. Veilborn Ghoul has just been crushing for me. I am pretty much always happy picking up 2 of these if I'm in black. Being able to recklessly turn them sideways and be happy trading for anything at all is awesome. Of course, they aren't particularly good in a control deck but when you're on the beatdown they are game breaking.

If you have any stories about you and your Veilborn Ghoul please post them here.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

I've been doing a lot of M13 drafting lately and one card that I previously thought blew is standing out to me. Veilborn Ghoul has just been crushing for me. I am pretty much always happy picking up 2 of these if I'm in black. Being able to recklessly turn them sideways and be happy trading for anything at all is awesome. Of course, they aren't particularly good in a control deck but when you're on the beatdown they are game breaking.

If you have any stories about you and your Veilborn Ghoul please post them here.

I drafted a mono black exalted deck and Ghoul was pretty good in it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I sat across from Liliana and a veilborn ghoul in sealed before. I somehow won that game, though I can't really recall how, it just involved a lot of turning dudes sideways and running them into a 4/1.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

LeafHouse posted:

Turn 3 Goblin Looter.
Turn 4: Discard Ghoul/draw, play Swamp, get back Ghoul, (cast something).
Turn 5: Discard Ghoul/draw, play Swamp, get back Ghoul, (cast something).
Turn 6: Discard Ghoul/draw, play Evolving Wilds/fetch, get back Ghoul. Cast Ghoul.

Card quality wins games, and literal card advantage makes it even easier. .

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Algid posted:

I sat across from Liliana and a veilborn ghoul in sealed before. I somehow won that game, though I can't really recall how, it just involved a lot of turning dudes sideways and running them into a 4/1.

That's a bit odd, I thought the ghoul couldn't block?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Getting back into drafting, thanks to MTGO, and I notice that War Falcon & Aven Squire are a huge & powerful opening. For two mana you're swinging for 3 in the air on turn 2. The fact that they're both commons doesn't hurt, either.

And in my last draft I ended up grabbing an Ajani, so... yeah. :getin:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just for kicks, here are a couple packs out of my Modern Peasant Cube. I'm interested in hearing some P1P1s (we usually do 5 packs of 9 with 4 drafters).

Pack A
Pyrohemia
Negate
Dread Statuary
Chandra's Outrage
Acidic Slime
Murder of Crows
Volition Reins
Talrand's Invocation
Wall of Omens

Pack B
Blind Zealot
Terramorphic Expanse
Penumbra Spider
Ballynock Cohort
Accorder Paladin
Trip Noose
Benalish Veteran
Sengir Vampire
Cultivate

Pack C
Moan of the Unhallowed
Pacifism
Wing Spicer
Crimson Muckwader
Merfolk Looter
Vivid Meadow
Sylvok Lifestaff
Arc Trail
Grasp of Phantoms

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

LeafHouse posted:

Likewise I thought he was pretty much trash at first glance, but on Friday I drafted a virtually monoblack exalted deck splashing a couple forests for a rancor. In the late game Veilborn Ghoul + Rancor is absolutely beastly; drawing a swamp is suddenly as good or better than drawing a spell.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

Just for kicks, here are a couple packs out of my Modern Peasant Cube. I'm interested in hearing some P1P1s (we usually do 5 packs of 9 with 4 drafters).

Pack A
Volition Reins

I don't know your cube, but normally they're slow and powerful enough to make this effect worthwhile. Volitions Reins costs more than the always-good Mind Control, but its benefits are worth the mana.

quote:

Pack B
Sengir Vampire

This was a tricky choice, but Sengir Vampire is a good uncommon bomb in limited.

quote:

Pack C
Merfolk Looter

I would normally grab Pacifism, but that pack is pretty low on white and I think looting is very valuable when you can draft decent cards.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

whydirt posted:

Pack A
Pyrohemia

Pack B
Sengir Vampire

Pack C
Pacifism

I don't think Pack A is even close. Pack B, about the same reasoning as Chamale; judging by the cards listed and it being a peasant cube, Sengir is bomby enough to take over Trip Noose. Pack C is even more sensitive to what kind of creature mix is in your cube, with Arc Trail possibly being better than Pacifism, but it seems like it'll always be a very solid answer.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vanilla Bison posted:

I don't think Pack A is even close. Pack B, about the same reasoning as Chamale; judging by the cards listed and it being a peasant cube, Sengir is bomby enough to take over Trip Noose. Pack C is even more sensitive to what kind of creature mix is in your cube, with Arc Trail possibly being better than Pacifism, but it seems like it'll always be a very solid answer.

Pyrohemia control is a strong archetype, but I wouldn't want a Pyrohemia without knowing what else is in the cube. Is it a safe pick when looking at an unknown set of cards?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If it helps, here's the master list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsGzjdmsCOkXdERGNVZDZzM3Y25aa19KNXdsa3JHMlE#gid=0

(It's actually not 100% since I'm sitting at 250 cards due to my LGS not getting all the sleeves I ordered - I've not put in any of the gold section yet, for example)

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

whydirt posted:

Pack A
Pyrohemia
Negate
Dread Statuary
Chandra's Outrage
Acidic Slime
Murder of Crows
Volition Reins
Talrand's Invocation
Wall of Omens

Pack B
Blind Zealot
Terramorphic Expanse
Penumbra Spider
Ballynock Cohort
Accorder Paladin
Trip Noose
Benalish Veteran
Sengir Vampire
Cultivate

Pack C
Moan of the Unhallowed
Pacifism
Wing Spicer
Crimson Muckwader
Merfolk Looter
Vivid Meadow
Sylvok Lifestaff
Arc Trail
Grasp of Phantoms

Do you have a list online? I want to get into cubing on a budget and am looking for pauper and/or peasant lists for inspiration.

Cube related sidenote: is there a definitive forum for cube stuff? I've browsed mtgs a bit but it's generally a shithole.

E: wow beaten by poster

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Chamale posted:

Pyrohemia control is a strong archetype, but I wouldn't want a Pyrohemia without knowing what else is in the cube. Is it a safe pick when looking at an unknown set of cards?

Yes. It's basically a repeatable Mutilate where you can customize the output level. It's not remotely archetype dependent, it's just an insane bomb all on its own.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

taladel posted:

Do you have a list online? I want to get into cubing on a budget and am looking for pauper and/or peasant lists for inspiration.

Cube related sidenote: is there a definitive forum for cube stuff? I've browsed mtgs a bit but it's generally a shithole.

I'd love to get some Cube construction chat going here in TG. I have no idea whether here, the Brewhaus, or a new thread would be best. I figure I'll stay here in the Limited thread for now, and if cubechat starts to annoy everyone I can make a separate thread.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vanilla Bison posted:

Yes. It's basically a repeatable Mutilate where you can customize the output level. It's not remotely archetype dependent, it's just an insane bomb all on its own.

Makes sense. I'm only used to seeing it in a format (TPF) where I know it has enough support, I wasn't sure about it in any other case.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Draftooooooooooo

http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

That's a bit odd, I thought the ghoul couldn't block?
Apparently neither of us knew how to RTFC :blush:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

3-0 drafting AVR last night. Didn't drop a single game, though I did tie one that I woulda won with enough time.

What am I going to do when I have to change sets and I'm terrible again?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
OK, I'm back with another draft because I believe all the commentary on my first 2 M13 drafts helped me out. My first opponent had a terrible white deck with zero removal, primarily white that was built around gaining tons and tons of life. I had to do like 40-50 damage each game, but had no trouble. Second match was against a really tough big-creature black-green deck with two black bombs that I just couldn't beat. (the gorgon, and that big black 5/5 flying creature-eating demon)

I think I had a good deck that just got beat by a better one, but if I made a mistake, tell me where things went awry.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3f8qg

p1p1: I like that lich. I'm not over-rating it, it might be hard to play in limited and I know I still need to get lots of good artifacts to play it at all, but nothing else blew me away, and I just wanted to play that lich, so if this is a mistake, I'm chalking it up to picking a potentially fun card. Probably will get something usable on the wheel. I'll get serious starting next pick.

p1p4: 3 straight good red cards. things starting to look good for red.

p1p6: At this point I think red is open. I'm picking the sail just to have a maybe kinda-sorta usable artifact for that lich, hoping I'll get a usable red coming back to me.

p1p7: pacify is good, but I love those boars

p1p9: not sure what my 2nd color is yet. Black is not looking good, took a usable white card then a usable green card. We'll see what happens.

p1p10: I do not like the brute. I'm still holding out hope for black because I'd like to play around with a lich, so grabbing a marginal black card.

p1p13: Sweet! I think that goblin jester is underrated. Its not a huge card, but it should not be going this late.

p2p1: Don't like the void stalker. I'm pretty firm on red now so grabbing the mindclaw. Aside from the rare, this is a good pack, I ought to get a 2nd useful card out of this.

p2p2: If I was AT ALL in blue, I might grab the clone, but pacify is too good to pass up. Still not committed to a 2nd color.

p2p4: Hedging my bets. My 2nd color is probably either white or green. At this point, I've sadly abandoned black and my dreams of trying out the lich. (that bat is not enough to interest me, I'm not getting jack for black) It is way too expensive on black mana to splash.

p2p5: Almost grabbed one of the goblins, but I still haven't given up on black, and if it doesn't happen, the artifact is usable.

p2p6: The red just still keeps coming. Good god, a pick 6 spear? Am I the ONLY one playing red?

p2p7: Pick 7 turn to slag. Jesus.

p2p10: I think I'm RW now. I can still go green if I open a bomb. Anyway, this could be a good sideboard card.

p3p1: I'm out of black. Hate to pass that gorgon. I'm normally hesitant to pick 3 of one card, but.... I will definitely play 3 boars. I'm also creature-light, and that is a hell of a red creature. I'm passing tons of good blue, but I'm not in blue AT ALL.

p3p2: I have a hilarious amount of removal in red, may as well get one in white, and hell, maybe that spear will come back.

p3p6: This one is a pure raredraft. Maybe the goblin will come back, but grabbing a shiny foil dual-land.

p3p10: spear didn't come back, but the arsonist is fine. I have a silly amount of removal.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 17, 2012

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So, P1P1 I think the real options are Arms Dealer or Knight of Infamy. I take Dealer because I think red is very strong, goblins are generally solid, and repeatable removal is excellent. Lich is one of the worst cards in this pack, but I'm not going to harp on that since you took it for fun's sake. The next few picks are interesting. I think I would've taken Spider over Turn to Slag and Courser over Boar, but if I'd taken Arms Dealer I would've followed your pick order. Your analysis that red is open seems very much correct by P1P4. I think picking Kitesail over Goblin Arsonist is incorrect-- the goblin is quite good and enables a lot of red's strongest features. I guess this comes back to the Lich thing. Pick 9 you see an Arbor Elf. This is one of green's strongest commons and an extremely strong signal. Red/green is very powerful and at this point I'd be somewhat set on drafting it. Arbor Elf that late is just stupid. Rest of the pack is just fine, although I think Brute can have applications when paired with Flunkies. Whatever.

P2P1: Mindclaw Shaman isn't really that great. It's an alright card but I won't always maindeck it. By contrast, Mogg Flunkies is absolutely stellar. I think the pick here is 100% Flunkies. Next pick you see clone vs pacifism vs Centaur Courser. After that very late Arbor Elf I take the Courser. It's one of green's best commons and I really don't love RW midrange. Oblivion Ring really rewards the white line, so I guess there's that. Pick 4 I absolutely go with Flunkies. You don't know if you're white or green and Flunkies will always be excellent. The next pick is just not right! Arms Dealer is one of red's best cards (you should now have 2, which is unbelievable!). The red ring is playable but mediocre.

P3P1: I would've taken RG Boar here in my draft, which is an excellent beater in RG. With the line you've taken I would pick Chronomoton. Bladetusk Boar is fine, but Chronomoton is absurd. I really don't think it's correct to pass Spear for Pacifism here. It's not coming back, there's just no way. I think it's a lot better than Pacifism in general.

Anyway, the rest of the draft shakes out from there. I think your evaluations in red are off. Arms Dealer is miles better than you give it credit for being, and Flunkies is also completely excellent.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheGame posted:

P3P1: I would've taken RG Boar here in my draft, which is an excellent beater in RG. With the line you've taken I would pick Chronomoton. Bladetusk Boar is fine, but Chronomoton is absurd.

I started writing up some thoughts about this draft until I saw Chronobro wheel P3P9.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

AnacondaHL posted:

I started writing up some thoughts about this draft until I saw Chronobro wheel P3P9.

I probably should have written something about being gobsmacked that the chrono came back, because I was. After I wrote off black, that chrono was #2 after my 1st choice.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheGame posted:

I really don't think it's correct to pass Spear for Pacifism here. It's not coming back, there's just no way. I think it's a lot better than Pacifism in general.

I agree with most of your post, but Pacifism is a better spell that Searing Spear. There are many bombs in the format with 4 or more toughness, and stopping them is more important than occasionally winning an otherwise lost game with 3 damage to the face.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Chamale posted:

I agree with most of your post, but Pacifism is a better spell that Searing Spear. There are many bombs in the format with 4 or more toughness, and stopping them is more important than occasionally winning an otherwise lost game with 3 damage to the face.

I went though all of the commons/uncommons looking for things that are relevant to your average game and don't die to Spear. Serra Angel, Sentinel Spider, Prized Elephant occasionally, Liliana's Shade very rarely, Garruk's Packleader (but really Pacifism is bad on that too), Crusader of Odric occasionally. I guess they could have a trick like Show of Valor or a giant creature with a ring on it. But Pacifism loses to the relatively-abundant enchantment removal available (including Naturalize and Unsummon being the most maindeckable they've ever been). Prey Upon, Roaring Primadox, Switcheroo, War Priest-- these are all pretty great against Pacifism. The potential of just going 3 to the face is icing on the cake, in my opinion.

So I guess that's a lot of words about why I think Pacifism is the worst it's been in recent memory and why Searing Spear is completely bonkers. Also, he knows he's red and not necessarily what else, so c'mon. If it was close before, it's not after that fact. e: actually I guess that's not actually true since we were discussing the Pacifism that he got after the other Pacifism and the Ring. But I'd still take Spear.

e2: also, he has 2 Turn to Slags that deal with the Angel, Spider and Ring situations nicely.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2012

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I just finished a surreal 4-3-2-2 M13 draft. Draft was bizarre, and I got pushed around in colors well into 2nd pack (5th pick Murder, 8th pick Searing Spear, there was 13th pick Sleeps but I didn't need stuff in all 5 colors). I ended up with a bomb-heavy (but otherwise mediocre) deck - Sublime Archangel, Odric, Gorgon, Intrepid Hero, not much removal, but a bit of exalted. I had bombs in every color but blue, but couldn't fill in my deck because stuff just kind of randomly appeared and disappeared. I got 3 Evolving Wilds very late, figured I might splash in my red, but didn't.

Anyways, first round is against crazy.dec. Dude's running: Sign in Blood, Volcanic Geyser, Fog, multiple Volcanic Strengths, the +1/+3 white enchantment and a bunch of white combat tricks (eg. Glorious Charge). Oh, and a bunch of green fat.

He crushes me first game by drawing whatever he needs while I'm color screwed. Second game I win on the back of Sublime Archangel (despite a 6 turn chain of fogs and re-animated blocker Dragon Hatchlings - it was very close). Third game he's going to win (on the back of intimidate Boar + Volcanic Strength) and then runs out of time because he's played ridiculously slow and has stops in every possible position.

Second match: 4 color crazy, again - though he did have a couple Farseeks to support it. I don't remember much about his deck, but it came down to the wire both games. At no point did either of these guys get mana-screwed (at least that I could tell, they both hit all 4 types seemingly at will).

Third match, against a competent, standard red-black deck... is bizarrely easy. I'm ahead pillar-to-post both games, and have the luxury of slowly playing around his possible cards - Toming until I have enough mana to play Odric backed by Faith's Rewards one game, and 1-turn Sublime Archangel win the other.

I love M13... though dang I wish the cards were worth something. You barely break even winning 4-3-2-2s.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

p1p1: Sorry this was indefensibly bad, no matter how "fun" the card may be (uncastable cards that rot in your hand are not my definition of fun). The arms dealer is the clear pick to me, but the squire, the elf and the prey upon are all possibilities.

p1p2: Turn to slag is fine, though I think I like the spider.

p1p6: probs goblin arsonist, though verdict could be fine.

p1p7: Pacifism

p2p1: Mindclaw shaman is okay, but not an early pick. I like the knight or the griffin.

p2p4: Have you picked your colours yet? Flunkies here as it's a good card in a colour you KNOW you're in.

p2p5: This is a terrible pick. Ring of valkas is one of the worst rings, and Arms dealer is potentially repeatable removal.

p2p10: Fire elemental is fine, much better than a narrow sideboard choice.

p3p1: I would be tempted to splash the gorgon. My second pick is probably chronomaton.

p3p4: I probably take lion here as I'm not sure you have a lot of early drop creatures.

p3p7: You already have a smelt, I like the show of valour here, and second pick for me is the volcanic strength as a sideboard option.

You were VERY lucky to wheel a bunch of playables in that last pack.

I think this was probably the worst of your drafts for me.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The latest LSV draft over at Channel Fireball - worth a watch for the first match alone. All the Divinations. ALL OF THEM.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I was kinda interested to see how much (colourless) fixing you can expect to go around a Return to Ravnica draft table on average, and did a rough estimation: Five Guildgates plus Transguild Promenade at common means about 14-15 common fixers opened in an eight person table. Five Keyrunes at uncommon means about six uncommon fixers going around.

Compare to triple Ravnica, City of Guilds: Four Signets and four karoos at common (not sure if I should include Terrarion) totals about 19-20 fixers overall on average, usually single Spectral Searchlight might or might not be making rounds too.

Going even further and comparing to triple Shards of Alara: five Panoramas and five Obelisks at common adds up to 23-24 opened on average, plus again about six uncommons in triple lands. Shards fixing was pretty well stacked.

This of course does not take into account things like green generally having more power to fix its mana, just roughly counting "colourless" fixers available to all by the size of the common/uncommon run and the amount of cards being opened.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Lunael posted:

I was kinda interested to see how much (colourless) fixing you can expect to go around a Return to Ravnica draft table on average, and did a rough estimation: Five Guildgates plus Transguild Promenade at common means about 14-15 common fixers opened in an eight person table. Five Keyrunes at uncommon means about six uncommon fixers going around.

Should I anticipate 3 colors being normal in Return to Ravnica?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Should I anticipate 3 colors being normal in Return to Ravnica?

Yeah. Think of it this way: in a "normal" set, most decks will have cards from 2 of the 5 colors. You'll generally have a primary color and a secondary color. In RtR, replace "color" with "guild". Which will put you typically in 3 colors. Of course sometimes you'll be the only one drafting a guild at the table, and in that case you might go "mono-guild" just like you can go "mono-color" in a normal format.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Playing a 4-pack M13 Swiss sealed right now. Opened a foil Chandra, an Akroma, Quirion, and a Phoenix. Foil mythic, mythic, 2 playable rares. :v:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Northjayhawk posted:

Playing a 4-pack M13 Swiss sealed right now. Opened a foil Chandra, an Akroma, Quirion, and a Phoenix. Foil mythic, mythic, 2 playable rares. :v:

Me too. Not nearly as good of a pool though. I need to figure out how these timestamps work.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Getting a bye in Swiss draft is the worst thing possible.