Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I contemplated saving them JUST IN CASE. I know smoeone else did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have some anger I want to work out. I think just beating the poo poo out of a punching bag is what I'm looking for. I imagine that a little bit of technique training would be good. Should I just find a boxing gym?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yes, find a boxing gym and give it a try. Be warned though, real life is not dragon ball Z, your anger does not give you power, it makes you look dumb and perform worse. So don't walk in and start going nuts on the bag or windmill punch while crying.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

Yes, find a boxing gym and give it a try. Be warned though, real life is not dragon ball Z, your anger does not give you power, it makes you look dumb and perform worse. So don't walk in and start going nuts on the bag or windmill punch while crying.

?

But yeah, I've got a pretty short fuse and the only thing it gave me in any martial arts class was frustration, sloppy technique and accidental elbow strikes to my training partner, which is pretty terrible in boxing or judo.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

windmill punch while crying.

I would give such a person a medal

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

IfIWereARichMan posted:

I have some anger I want to work out. I think just beating the poo poo out of a punching bag is what I'm looking for. I imagine that a little bit of technique training would be good. Should I just find a boxing gym?

I read somewhere that that poo poo isn't actually helpful with regards to anger management fyi

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

niethan posted:

I read somewhere that that poo poo isn't actually helpful with regards to anger management fyi

Right, it's not. Goes like this, which anyone reading this will probably recognize from own experience of anger with relative ease if they had any such feelings of anger in the past: they say that "the hunger grows the more you feed it" and while lashing out in anger is for the moment a pleasurable emotion and serves an urgent passing desire (to lash out on... something) the more you indulge in it...

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
... the more you're conditioning your mind towards being controlled by anger instead of the other way around.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jesus you guys are harsh. Like letting off a little steam by hitting a punching bag is so counter productive? None of you have ever done that? He didn't say he wanted to go super saiyan 12 and fight aliens. You guys are dicks.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
After reading through this thread I decided to go and sign up for the Krav Maga place near my work. I've only had a couple of lessons but goddamn it's a lot of fun. Not to mention it feels great to start working out again without being bored to tears on a treadmill or at the gym.

Only had a couple of sessions but so far it seems to be very reliant on boxing (same jabs, footwork, stance etc.), with the addition of elbow strikes and knee shots. They also showed us how to get out of chokeholds in a standing position, on the ground or against the wall. They always pair you up and they dont let you leave until you're sick and exhausted from pad work. A lot of the things taught so far are to get you out of difficult situations and give you an opportunity to get the hell away. Instructors seems to really stress the point that its all about ending a fight and getting away safely rather than beating the poo poo out of somebody or vice versa.

At this early stage its a heavy workout but I think as time goes on it will become a lot easier. What I love about it is the structure, which is bullshit-free. No belts, no uniforms, no smug titles for the instructors.

Just three classes: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. 2 core classes during the week, 6 others that are optional to attend that each focus on something different (sparring, strikes, conditioning, etc.). They dont let beginners into the sparring classes however.

My only complaint is that its not cheap but then again the concept of a bargain is nonexistant in my country.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Going to a gym to work out anger issues might not be a great idea. But getting a workout in is a great way to blow off steam from a long day. No matter how crappy my day has been, it is always going better once I hit the mats.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Going to a gym to work out anger issues might not be a great idea. But getting a workout in is a great way to blow off steam from a long day. No matter how crappy my day has been, it is always going better once I hit the mats.

That's how I feel too. Judo has been of tremendous help to my overall mood and outlook on life. It gives me something to look forward too each and every week and a lovely day isn't so lovely after an hour or two on the mats.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty posted:

500 loving dollars?? Please tell me bullshido is all over that

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117921

:smith:

I knew I should've saved them but I figured the original vid was taken by someone's grandma or something and would've been promptly forgotten about. I guess she/he somehow got wind of the mocking.

E: as far as the anger thing goes sometimes I'll throw a punch while "angry" or have emotions I might describe as anger right before trying to throw some weight into a strike? It's more of a focused, very brief flash of emotion or something like I'm trying to throw the strike with perfect technique and power I don't know I sound stupid I'm just saying it's never some sort of weird blind flailing rage thing, that would probably make you hurt yourself or look stupid at the very least. I definitely blow off steam/stress from work at the gym though, I figured everyone does?

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 17, 2012

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Every time I feel myself progressing in my bjj game I get injured. :( I must have pulled a muscle yesterday. As the day went on my hip flexor got really sore. I've been icing all day. I hope this is a quick one! /rant

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Christoff posted:

Jesus you guys are harsh. Like letting off a little steam by hitting a punching bag is so counter productive? None of you have ever done that? He didn't say he wanted to go super saiyan 12 and fight aliens. You guys are dicks.

To the best of my knowledge (as well as the other people's who have posted), the current state of psychological research holds that "letting off steam" is not actually therapeutic, as popular wisdom would have it, but actually has the opposite effect. If someone comes and says "Hey guys, I think it would be healthy for me to have an outlet to let off steam," it's only proper to warn him "Actually it probably wouldn't in the way you are thinking." Why should we give incorrect life advice here any more than we would give incorrect technique advice?

But I don't think anyone was actually harsh about it? I mean it's his life, if he wants some stress relief nobody will stand in his way. The DBZ thing in particular was so obviously a joke that I don't even know what to say about the idea of taking it seriously; except that it was meant to convey a different important truth: that a lot of your training time is going to be spent focusing on technique, and in that way it''s sometimes a source of frustration in its own right. It's not really just a time to turn off your brain and vent.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 17, 2012

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Israfel posted:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117921

:smith:

I knew I should've saved them but I figured the original vid was taken by someone's grandma or something and would've been promptly forgotten about. I guess she/he somehow got wind of the mocking.

On the bright side, I've been thinking about these videos non-stop for two days now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fn_BV2g6Hs

(This is the 9th Dan founder of World Martial Arts Association and every one of his videos is a masterpiece)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Anger management through martial arts?

Not in the "punch the crap out of someone and feel better" way, no. At least, not for me.

However, the absolute exhaustion that comes from BJJ, along with the whole "stay completely focused on what you're doing or you'll get choked" thing makes me calm down pretty fast even if I'm in a lovely mood when I show up.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Thisis a thread on training a sport/self defence. Go see a therapist if you have anger management issues, don't think what you see from movies is good for mental health.

If you hosed up your leg would you come here and say "Hey guys, my legs really hurting bad, I feel like its a good idea to strengthen it with kickboxing. Tips?". No, you'd see a doctor. Mental health is the same way, go see a professionnal.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The guys isn't picking up and uzi and looking for a solution before he puts it to use from a bell tower.

When I'm stressed and pissed off I find working a bag takes my mind of things enough that the poo poo outside of focussing on technique, breathing, everything else that goes into solid technique sends anything that's annoying me out of mind.

Working a heavy bag with proper instruction from a boxing trainer will probably be exactly the stress relief you're talking about.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I find the management aspect comes into play when I force myself to slow down and focus rationally on some technical aspect of my game. Tends to separate you from the negative mental state pretty well when you get preoccupied with something positive instead. Using a punching bag as an effigy of your boss or something and trying to beat the tar out of it does not help manage anything, only reinforce it. It's all about what you get out of it and how you get it. If the dude's sanity isn't a massive train wreck then it's totally possible to get that result from combat training. Or maybe I'm giving too much credit? I don't know.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swagger like us posted:

Thisis a thread on training a sport/self defence. Go see a therapist if you have anger management issues, don't think what you see from movies is good for mental health.

If you hosed up your leg would you come here and say "Hey guys, my legs really hurting bad, I feel like its a good idea to strengthen it with kickboxing. Tips?". No, you'd see a doctor. Mental health is the same way, go see a professionnal.

Anything that forces you to be very focused and gets you completely exhausted will help with mood. I'd agree with you if the guy was suggesting buying a heavy bag and punching it while cursing in his basement, but actual training in boxing will probably only be good for him.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lack of any medical/psychological training whatsoever here, but depending on your mindset, martial arts can be a fun recreational activity that can help brighten someone's day. While I cannot speak for those who have bad intentions for their training, I am pretty sure regularly exercising can help improve an individuals mood as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Lack of any medical/psychological training whatsoever here, but depending on your mindset, martial arts can be a fun recreational activity that can help brighten someone's day. While I cannot speak for those who have bad intentions for their training, I am pretty sure regularly exercising can help improve an individuals mood as well.

Gonna agree on this one, people are getting pretty :goonsay: about this. Working out in the morning is an awesome way to get yourself in a good mood for the day and working out in the evening is an awesome way to relieve the stress of a long day. Not because you get some catharsis from choking or punching somebody, but because working out just makes you feel good in general.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
For my part, I was just responding to niethan's comment about anger management and the psychology involved.

I readily admit that at least a few of my best training sessions have followed when I seriously needed to "let off some steam". It doesn't automatically follow that you flail about in a rage though, the feeling of anger (or stress or whatever) quickly subsides when you sink into your workout and is greatly diminished after.

In my case, anger or an extremely bad day at the office or whatever has helped me focus. I want to forget and leave behind whatever is causing my angst so much I give 105% effort at the gym. Does this make sense?

If that who-ever guy has issues with anger, he would probably learn how to deal with it better by learning boxing or some other MA discipline.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Space human being posted:

On the bright side, I've been thinking about these videos non-stop for two days now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fn_BV2g6Hs

(This is the 9th Dan founder of World Martial Arts Association and every one of his videos is a masterpiece)

I'm in complete and total awe of how anyone can clap at that........

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Sunday I was sparring with a buddy - and he went a little on the aggressive side and while doing a sweep on my legs, he torqued it too much and my left knee snapped. An inaudible "snap" that I felt in my calf and I was on the ground in absolute pain and tears for like ten minutes. Now I can't extend or bend my knee without extreme pain.

This has made me so depressed since I was really improving in both MT and BJJ and enjoying about 6-7 hours of classes per week. It was part of my routine now and ... gently caress I won't be able to do it for a while :(

I have a feeling this injury is going to take months to heal (don't know yet, seeing a doc soon).

I haven't felt this sad about a situation in a long time.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KidDynamite posted:

I'm in complete and total awe of how anyone can clap at that........

Read the bullshido thread I linked...that's barely scratching the surface and the abyss goes deep.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Go to a boxing gym or whatever and just focus on doing what they tell you to do as best you can. You'll forget about being pissy before it's done and you'll be too worn out to give a poo poo afterwards.

Don't expect Fight Club style catharsis, though.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The day after I buried my Dad I shotgunned some jack3d and rolled for like three straight hours with literally everyone who came into the gym. It was the best I'd felt all week, but that was more about taking care of short-term stuff than fixing any chronic issues.

Also I got a single-leg from the bottom of half guard so it felt like I was getting the spirit :respek: from Chael.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Sunday I was sparring with a buddy - and he went a little on the aggressive side and while doing a sweep on my legs, he torqued it too much and my left knee snapped. An inaudible "snap" that I felt in my calf and I was on the ground in absolute pain and tears for like ten minutes. Now I can't extend or bend my knee without extreme pain.

This has made me so depressed since I was really improving in both MT and BJJ and enjoying about 6-7 hours of classes per week. It was part of my routine now and ... gently caress I won't be able to do it for a while :(

I have a feeling this injury is going to take months to heal (don't know yet, seeing a doc soon).

That sucks, hope you have a good recovery.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I'm on crutches for a sprained ankle right now and it's driving me nuts. I never realize how much I need that endorphin rush (runner's high) until I'm deprived of it, and it still usually takes me a couple days of pouting to realize what's missing.

At least the downtime has given me some time to explore the arts. Have some Longfellow:

Be still, sad heart, and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2012

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

I'm on crutches for a sprained ankle right now and it's driving me nuts. I never realize how much I need that endorphin rush (runner's high) until I'm deprived of it, and it still usually takes me a couple days of pouting to realize what's missing.

At least the downtime has given me some time to explore the arts. Have some Longfellow:

Be still, sad heart, and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall

I have a feeling my downtime is going to be spent finally completing Skyrim. Maybe.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
There's a a whole new set of kettlebells of different size in the equipment locker at a gym I go to :woop: It's now apparent I'm too lazy to swing them about at home with any regularity, or at least have been for the past year, but after/before technique class it fits, like a fist in the eye.

I can hide behind a heavy bag during whateverclass and do my extending arms thing with kettlebells attached, without brining my own :dance:

The RECAPITATOR posted:

my left knee snapped.

:(

Here's hoping for a fast recovery...

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 17, 2012

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I have a feeling my downtime is going to be spent finally completing Skyrim. Maybe.

Good luck with the knee, my advice is to make sure that your doctor knows exactly how bad your situation is, if it's not obvious. I spent months training on a torn acl and meniscus because the first doctor(granted, it was at the on-campus health center) I went to was completely unhelpful(my leg would "lock up" but only temporarily and both times I went my leg was fine). Gave me a horribly useless knee sleeve that I paid like 40 bucks for and that was it.

My training sucked because whenever my leg locked up I had to stop and it kept locking up more and more as I kept training. Finally it got bad enough that I went to a real(orthopedics) doctor who suggested an MRI and then not long after that I had surgery to fix the ACL and meniscus. I was out of Muay Thai for 6 months and BJJ for 9 months, which really sucked, but I wish I had gotten the surgery sooner.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

The Darlok posted:

Good luck with the knee, my advice is to make sure that your doctor knows exactly how bad your situation is, if it's not obvious. I spent months training on a torn acl and meniscus because the first doctor(granted, it was at the on-campus health center) I went to was completely unhelpful(my leg would "lock up" but only temporarily and both times I went my leg was fine). Gave me a horribly useless knee sleeve that I paid like 40 bucks for and that was it.

My training sucked because whenever my leg locked up I had to stop and it kept locking up more and more as I kept training. Finally it got bad enough that I went to a real(orthopedics) doctor who suggested an MRI and then not long after that I had surgery to fix the ACL and meniscus. I was out of Muay Thai for 6 months and BJJ for 9 months, which really sucked, but I wish I had gotten the surgery sooner.

Gross.

I have an appointment with a sports medicine doctor wizard for October 12th. In the mean time I'm planning on dropping a visit at the ad-hoc clinic see if I can't get any work done earlier (xrays/mri/whatever)...

It's funny how I keep (kept) reading about knee injuries and being like... aww man that sucks. And now it's me. It's almost surreal. I know I'm a big whiny fucker, but it just seems like this sort of poo poo happens to people on the internet and not me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try to convey the gravity of the injury to the doc that will see me (Dr WOLF. I swear.)

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Hey, even if your recovery isn't fast I hope it goes well. They had to sink some anchors into my right shoulder, but getting the surgery done was the best decision I've made regarding my health in a long time, IMO.

Do what your doctor tells you and you'll be better off for it in the long run, no matter how many weeks you have to spend off the mat in the short term.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Darlok posted:

I'm trying really hard not to make a Skyrim knee joke here

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just sat in on a local judo class and I was really bummed out. They seemed like pretty nice guys and all but I'm used to and expect really taxing training. If you're going to train exclusively in competition judo I feel like you should be a competitive school. I'm holding out hope for the other schools I'm looking into but in the back of my head I'm worried I won't be able to find what I'm after. Am I being unreasonable?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My girlfriend was just watching some religious fundie on youtube (for laughs), and he made the claim that martial artists inhale demon's souls to gain strength.

That sounds awesome. Should I expect to learn that in BJJ or do I need to take Tai Chi or something too?

Edit: This is the video. I have no idea who this guy is but drat it's funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WToin3NbYY&feature=player_detailpage#t=549s

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe you should look into a righteous and Christian fighting style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_Kuk_Do

• Locked thread