Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
drat, the Ayane segments look like they could have come from an Xbox game. She looks like she's made of plastic and the environments are really sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chaltab posted:

drat, the Ayane segments look like they could have come from an Xbox game. She looks like she's made of plastic and the environments are really sparse.

Sadly, that would make it a perfect port of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Honestly though it looks like the same model/assets/challenge map from Sigma 2 on PS3. The plastic skin is their style though. You can see it in the Dead or Alive series too where the male characters all have a variety of complexions but the female characters are all flawless porcelain dolls.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Chaltab posted:

It cannot be said enough: Nobody, but nobody should be buying Ninja Gaiden 3. The regenerating health on its own can be excused, but it is just nothing at all like the first two games, and especially the second. I remember being both impressed and a little confused at how they were going to make a Ninja Gaiden game playable on their iPad thing.

The answer is that NG3 plays like an iOS game where everything is just "go forward and swipe to win" because there are no physical controls... except in this case, there *are* physical controls. It is a borderline visual novel with one sword, one generic red dragon ninpo spell, no challenge and a ridiculous story that could not be in a more mismatched franchise. (An anti-war, you-are-the-real-bad-guy parable in a Ninja Gaiden game? Impossible!)

It would not surprise me if Nintendo had Tecmo put in a mode where they mirrored your screen and all you had to do to advance was swipe and tap enemies on the screen. Even with the 360 controller, NG3 was pretty much this.

I am actually kind of shocked that Nintendo is still publishing it. I get why having "Ninja Gaiden" on a marketing plan for a Nintendo system was a big deal... before the game came out. Perhaps they think their usual customer won't care that it's an awful game. Either way, it's the polar opposite of their brilliant nabbing of Bayonetta 2, a move that actually gives me the slightest bit of hope that we'll get some compelling content on the system outside of Nintendo franchises.

Edit: Forgot to add that it's QTE city and the camera is like every bad editing trick from the past 15 years of ADD music videos/Michael Bay films.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 17, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I guess Ninja Gaiden died once Itagaki left Team Ninja. Or was NG2 as good as the first one? I can't remember I never played it, but I don't remember hearing it praised like the first one was.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PonchAxis posted:

I guess Ninja Gaiden died once Itagaki left Team Ninja. Or was NG2 as good as the first one? I can't remember I never played it, but I don't remember hearing it praised like the first one was.

It's initial release was plagued with a number if issues. It was less forgiving than the first game in a lot of ways, which to this day staggers my mind. I recently tried to fire up the first Ninja Gaiden and I don't know how I beat that game on the original X-Box. I don't think I ever properly beat the second game.

Despite that, honestly the Wii U would be better served just getting a proper port of the original Ninja Gaiden 2 minus all the slowdown, or another port of Sigma 1 and 2, rather than getting what amounts to a mea culpa for a lovely game.

Maybe there's some DoA fans who are getting a Wii U and they want to see Real Doll Ayane cut poo poo up and QTE her way to victory?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6c_4tGIto

During this video they mention downloadable levels. Huh?
If you're talking about the beginning, it sounds like they're referring to NSMB2 getting downloadable levels, which was announced after E3 I think. I figure the Wii U one would get DLC too but I don't know if there's been any confirmation.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Neo Rasa posted:

All I'm saying is that after the Wii's life post NSMB, Nintendo needs to work much harder if they want to keep the third party stuff coming after the first year or so. Making sure customers perceive it as a "real" system and not an add-on for the Wii or another handheld (this is still happening regularly at retailers everywhere) is still a hurdle that has to be overcome because, frankly, I don't think Nintendo itself has what it takes to meet or exceed what they accomplished with their DS library. IF they can then it won't matter if they have third party support or not, but after the second half of the Wii's life I doubt that that's possible.

Let's say the truth: Wii wasn't a real system, it was a joke of a system, and most of its power went away to triangulate that loving wiimote instead of graphics. The design decision was self conscious, it still targeted motherfucking CRT televisions with an analog signal. In 2006, when everyone with money to burn was investing in LCD panels.

Had it had a more powerful processor or gpu third parties would have not ignored Wii as a platform for porting blops or Assassin's Creed. Instead most Wii games had to reduce number of enemies, the geometry of levels, things that seriously impacted the gameplay. That meant to do a new version of the same title.

WiiU is almost a real system. The input system is there (WiiU Pro Pad), the power is there. It also has a real online. Nintendo's bet is that future games will still, at their core, mantain the current level complexity and target the current 720p/1080p, so that Activision can safely poo poo a new Blops on the platform, downscaled a bit for detail, without sacrificing too much (maybe some shader or some clever atmospheric vapour trick), and call it a day. And probably they are right, there is just so much you can cram in a level/in gameplay complexity without a player going :psypop: anyway.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

Not forgetting on how Gamestop treated PSPGo (that is: they did nothing at all, not even acknowledged it existed).

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah, apparently me and my sources were confused because the sensor bar is being included in that supplemental package with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Not sure why they'd sell the sensor bar separately if it was included in both packages. Or maybe that's just for Europe?

Chaltab posted:

Note to Angry Catterpillar: The OP indicates that the Wii IR sensor bar doesn't come included in the Wii U Basic box. Nintendo's official website says that it is.

The European stream confirms that Wii IR is limited to the Premium bundle.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're probably handling the sensor bar in the same way they're handling the 3DS XL charger: it's a pack-in in regions that mandate it, and it's not in regions that don't.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

limaCAT posted:

The European stream confirms that Wii IR is limited to the Premium bundle.

That's what I thought I heard in the stream. At least now I don't have to go back and check.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any recommended external hard drives? I was looking some up yesterday and the prices seem to vary wildly. 500gb is probably enough, but 1tb might be nice and I could throw on all my wife's music.

Also I couldn't really tell, will I need to plug these suckers in or will they draw power from the Wii? Finally I suppose black will be best since my WiiU will be black.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

greatn posted:

Does anyone have any recommended external hard drives? I was looking some up yesterday and the prices seem to vary wildly. 500gb is probably enough, but 1tb might be nice and I could throw on all my wife's music.

Also I couldn't really tell, will I need to plug these suckers in or will they draw power from the Wii? Finally I suppose black will be best since my WiiU will be black.

A large one ( 3.5 inches ) would have better performance, load speeds, and lower price per GB, and have it's own power adapter. Just buy a western digital elements or something, and you'll be set.

E: of they follow the USB standards, it should be no problem to use a smaller one, that only has 1 USB plug, either.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 17, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It annoys me that it would be drawing power even when not in use however. My god drat cable box does enough of that.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

It annoys me that it would be drawing power even when not in use however. My god drat cable box does enough of that.

Then turn it off? I've got a toshiba 1tb hard drive that is plugged in, and it has an on/off switch. Unless i'm missing your point.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Just buy a 2.5" drive - which can be powered by the USB bus (they are tethered to the console via one USB connector in the likely case that the Wii U provides enough power that way or, unlikely, two USB connectors with a Y-cable). You won't need an external power supply.

The performance difference to a bigger 3.5" drive as well as the speed differential between a 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM disk shouldn't matter all that much for console use. The latter drives might be very slightly noticeable (barely, they really aren't noisy) when near the console (noise, vibration) but will likely reduce load and access times a bit when compared to the former (5400 RPM version).

SubNat posted:

E: of they follow the USB standards, it should be no problem to use a smaller one, that only has 1 USB plug, either.

If Nintendo follows the USB 2.0-standard, their ports won't provide enough power to run an external laptop drive on a single plug. Luckily, nowadays practically every device allows peripherals to draw more current via the USB bus than specified.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Sadly, that would make it a perfect port of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Honestly though it looks like the same model/assets/challenge map from Sigma 2 on PS3. The plastic skin is their style though. You can see it in the Dead or Alive series too where the male characters all have a variety of complexions but the female characters are all flawless porcelain dolls.

Oh Team Ninja.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd imagine Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U was part of a deal relating to Team Ninja working on Metroid Other M.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

[edit] I misread... sorry.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 17, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FPzero posted:

I'd imagine Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U was part of a deal relating to Team Ninja working on Metroid Other M.

That's probably the worst deal in gaming history.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

They obviously wanted something incredibly violent to try and attract core gamers, but forgot how terribly Mad World sold for the Wii.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FPzero posted:

This is what we call a lose-lose.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MUFFlNS posted:

They obviously wanted something incredibly violent to try and attract core gamers, but forgot how terribly Mad World sold for the Wii.

Like Ninja Gaiden 3 is gonna sell any better? If Nintendo wanted a game to attract core gamers, throw From Software a ton a cash and make the next Souls game WiiU exclusive. That would do the trick.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Like Ninja Gaiden 3 is gonna sell any better? If Nintendo wanted a game to attract core gamers, throw From Software a ton a cash and make the next Souls game WiiU exclusive. That would do the trick.

From seems like they're in a position where they want to make their games available to as many people as possible, I don't think they'd go for any exclusivity deal again, boatloads of cash or not.

Also, that would be a hugely powerful exclusive to have, but more people should really experience From's games. I hope they're all multi-platform.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Let's see how this Bayonetta thing plays out and Nintendo might just get a taste for exclusive ip's that "hardcore" gamers want.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What's surprising is that they didn't upgrade the Fatal Frame 2 Wii remake for this instead. It's pre RE4 but still enough of a known horror game that anyone who picks up RE/Silent Hill/etc. would get it day one. I'm surprised that even came out on the Wii (just this June I think?).

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus
I'm definitely interested in pre-ordering, and I don't mean to threadshit, but I'm looking for either a non brick and mortar pre-order solution which ships on launch day (or close to it)? Any advice?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://kotaku.com/5943529/nintendo-doesnt-think-your-wii-u-will-collect-dust

Kotaku interview with Reggie. The TL;DR version:

Kotaku: Wii sucked towards the end, will that happen with the Wii U?
Reggie: Tell me more about these consoles that don't suck at the end of their life span.
Kotaku: Alright alright. But is the Wii U going to compete with Sony and Microsoft's next offering? (if you read between the lines he's going "Dude you saw what happened with Dreamcast")
Reggie: Let's look at the last generation: Xbox, PS2, and GC. Gamecube and Xbox were further ahead technologically than the PS2, by a large amount. But that doesn't matter. It's the install base that matters.

i.e. if a console has a huge install base it won't matter which console is strongest, developers will go where their games will sell. Seems like common sense but people don't get it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Reggie: Let's look at the last generation: Xbox, PS2, and GC. Gamecube and Xbox were further ahead technologically than the PS2, by a large amount. But that doesn't matter. It's the install base that matters.

i.e. if a console has a huge install base it won't matter which console is strongest, developers will go where their games will sell. Seems like common sense but people don't get it.

It's Reggie who doesn't get it. Wii had an install base that eclipsed the PS3 and 360, but third party publishers abandoned it. Why? Because Wii owners only bought games made by Nintendo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Reggie: Tell me more about these consoles that don't suck at the end of their life span.
Kotaku: Alright alright. But is the Wii U going to compete with Sony and Microsoft's next offering? (if you read between the lines he's going "Dude you saw what happened with Dreamcast")

It's common sense that didn't prove out in the current generation. The Wii has the largest install base but 3rd party support is primarily on the 360, PS3, and PC.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

It's common sense that didn't prove out in the current generation. The Wii has the largest install base but 3rd party support is primarily on the 360, PS3, and PC.

Because the Wii was bought largely by casual gamers that only play Nintendo titles and fit stuff.

The Wii U is catering to the core audiences again, and since there won't be a huge graphical jump or a gimped online between this and the other consoles, I think third parties will stick around as long as their games sell.

And since the U is going to have a whole year and a half+ to itself to build up a crowd, I think those games will sell.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony's consoles will be much more powerful than the Wii-U, but I would expect the functional impact of that to be less than last generation. Titles developed for those consoles will still have to be scaled back, but I don't think they'll have to be straight-up gimped in the way that Wii ports had to be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The graphical difference was absurd from Wii to Other this gen. No matter how big the leap the ps4/xbox is it wont be as significant.

Wiimote also didn't work well for all games. Hopefully people get used to using the gamepad/procontroller and realise the WiiU wont have lesser controls for the games they want. That alone should help 3rd party. As well as the year see that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Reggie doesn't get it. And I can name a bunch of consoles that don't suck by the end of their lifespan.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony's consoles will be much more powerful than the Wii-U, but I would expect the functional impact of that to be less than last generation. Titles developed for those consoles will still have to be scaled back, but I don't think they'll have to be straight-up gimped in the way that Wii ports had to be.

Yeah. As reggie said it's going to be a PS2 ~ Xbox difference, not a Wii ~ 360 difference that makes ports gimped/impossible.

quote:

Reggie doesn't get it. And I can name a bunch of consoles that don't suck by the end of their lifespan.

Reggie was in complete denial during the interview. Kotaku kept politely trying to say "Look no gamer was happy with the Wii" and Reggie kept kind of cutting him off and saying "But look at skyward sword sales!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wii U is catering to the core audiences again

There's no guarantee of that yet and you know it. If Nintendo keep titles like MHTriU and Bayonetta 2 on the console CONSISTENTLY throughout its lifespan, then you can say Nintendo is catering to us again.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryBooch posted:

If the Wii U has the biggest install base again, that means Nintendo has nothing to worry about. They sold the most consoles at a full profit.

Isn't the whole change in focus because Nintendo doesn't believe they can blue ocean the market again?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

There's no guarantee of that yet and you know it. If Nintendo keep titles like MHTriU and Bayonetta 2 on the console CONSISTENTLY throughout its lifespan, then you can say Nintendo is catering to us again.

Uhhh right now they are catering to us? No one can tell what's in the future? But I guess that's a good idea. Wait seven years for the Wii U's life to end and THEN say Nintendo did a good job, go out and buy the console.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's far too early to make statements like this since we know next to nothing about the next X-box/PS4, so saying something like "I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony's consoles will be much more powerful than the WiiU" without anything to back it up and then make the point that 3rd parties won't have to scale back their ports isn't a safe bet. It honestly sounds like the engines being made for the "next gen" consoles will eclipse the current generation which, whether you agree or not, the Wii-U shares more similarities to than differences, so I think we'll still see scaled back ports on the WiiU relative to what's on the next X-Box/PS4.

What WILL push the WiiU and its userbase is having well known, huge 3rd party franchises that push sales in Japan (Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc.) along with strong ports of the huge 3rd party franchises that push sales in the US (COD, Assassins Creed, GTA, etc.). One massive hurdle that Nintendo needs to overcome (which I don't think they will) is convincing those that currently own a Wii that purchasing a WiiU is worth it and won't sit and gather dust like how your Wii is now. While the WiiU may cater more to the 'hardcore' audience, it's really that casual audience that pushes sales over the brink, so capturing that is imperative for the WiiU to succeed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

While the WiiU may cater more to the 'hardcore' audience, it's really that casual audience that pushes sales over the brink, so capturing that is imperative for the WiiU to succeed.

Another thing that's imperitive to software sales (especially third party ones) is giving people incentive to trade in their 360/PS3 for the Wii U, with, like you said, excellent exclusives that cater to the core.

Also their first step in getting Casuals would probably be explaining that this is a new console and not just a tablet for the Wii that gives the user magic powers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uhhh right now they are catering to us? No one can tell what's in the future? But I guess that's a good idea. Wait seven years for the Wii U's life to end and THEN say Nintendo did a good job, go out and buy the console.

Your points aren't making much sense. Here is a huge fact: Nintendo has a hard time consistently releasing games and catering to a specific audience, so just because they've shown off a couple games doesn't mean they necessarily are back to catering to a 'hardcore' audience.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Isn't the whole change in focus because Nintendo doesn't believe they can blue ocean the market again?

Yup, exactly. They know they can't capture the same audience that the Wii did, which is due to a lot of factors, so they're trying to be more inclusive to all audiences in the hope they reel in a consistent base that will drive software sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
To all the people who are saying 'Reggie doesn't get it', you do understand what PR is, don't you? He's not an idiot, he knows the facts and figures behind the Wii and he knows the attitude gamers and none gamers have. It's his job to spin this in a positive way. Of course he's not just going to go "Yeah, the Wii was a bit pile of poo poo".

• Locked thread