Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Cryin Burnigan posted:

i only read a little of that but you mentioned particle accelerators in there. You really think you are somehow going to be able to handle, not even parse, the terrabytes of information a single event contains? If so you should be working at CERN because thats amazing

I think it is important to have a healthy disregard for the impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i used a goto in some c# code at work and my boss made me change it :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CamH posted:

i used a goto in some c# code at work and my boss made me change it :(

you could always do a

///hey boss, GOTO hell

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Iuan MacLean

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

you could always do a

///hey boss, GOTO hell

u need a space before hey or u won't pass stylecop rules

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress da police :c00lbert:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

BooLoo posted:

if i buy you platinum will you make a stat just for me

ok. I feel like you are going to try and trick me into some ridiculous stat way over budgeted time spent. That's fine. How's this work? You PM me for my login info, in exchange for this stat you want me to upload?

Forum Rules:
Account Ability: Only one person may use a forum account. Account sharing is a bannable offense, so please keep your password secure.

Does that mean they will ban me if I let you log into my account?

Or does that fall under this rule:
Crazy Catchall: Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rule listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible.

So.. as long as you are logging on to my account to give them money, then log off, I am sure it is chill.

:)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

ok. I feel like you are going to try and trick me into some ridiculous stat way over budgeted time spent. That's fine. How's this work? You PM me for my login info, in exchange for this stat you want me to upload?

Forum Rules:
Account Ability: Only one person may use a forum account. Account sharing is a bannable offense, so please keep your password secure.

Crazy Catchall: Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rule listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible.

So.. as long as you are logging on to my account to give them money, then log off, I am sure it is chill.

hmm, yase, it will be chill... what's ur pw?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no way

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Ban ian

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
ban for thought-crime account sharing

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
lol

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

we have always been at war with iyg

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
apple always made good products

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

0xB16B00B5 posted:

the 1990s never happened

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

0xB16B00B5 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-tKLISfPE

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ian McLean posted:

Forum Rules:

and again you have failed to read and comprehend. if you had spent any time at all reading and understanding, you would know that people on the SA (somethingawful dot com) forums can buy each other upgrades with no shenanigans at all. on the other hand, maybe you are an expert puppet master, trolling these forums in search of comedy gold. did you find any yet?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
by the way ian when you've finished being byob and chillaxe could you give us a quick run down of what you're going to use the kickstarter money for? why do you need it, and what are you going to spend it on?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

0xB16B00B5 posted:

ian i spent 100 dollars on app.net and you havent convinced me yet to give you even 10
spend $10 buying him an avatar

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2012

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

someone buy me some kickass forums upgrade

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i offer nothing in return besides not being ian

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
http://www.kaggle.com/about

Kaggle is an innovative solution for statistical/analytics outsourcing. We are the leading platform for predictive modeling competitions. Companies, governments and researchers present datasets and problems - the world's best data scientists then compete to produce the best solutions. At the end of a competition, the competition host pays prize money in exchange for the intellectual property behind the winning model.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
kaggle exercises

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
wii won't succeed because it sounds like pee

ipad sounds like a girl product lol

kaggle has been written about by forbes and wsj

they partnered with harvard business review

so yeah make fun of the name if you feel like it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

what is this posted:

kaggle has been written about by forbes and wsj

they partnered with harvard business review

so yeah make fun of the name if you feel like it

counterpoint: RIM

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

what is this posted:

make fun of the name if you feel like it

thanks for your blessing

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Dr. Honked posted:

by the way ian when you've finished being byob and chillaxe could you give us a quick run down of what you're going to use the kickstarter money for? why do you need it, and what are you going to spend it on?

Once again, I did not make this spreadsheet. I just added my name in at the top, and threw in the rightscale + amazon combo (open for suggestions on this). Currently using justhost for 40 bucks a year plus their all new cloud flare for 14 bucks a month! The project manager made this budget: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDR76NleZQsdDJRNGxHakw2T1Y3OXltamFIRk1SV1E#gid=0

I trust him. He is a good trustworthy person. He said he still wants in house servers even if we are using cloud services.

17k a month for everyone, 4k a month for the office expenses. 23k for initial one time expenses. 30k for server reserve.

It would also be nice to have one individual developing android and and one on the iphone app full time. The project manager said to include another 53k for those two individuals full time.

Even if statpedia raises 20k it will be enough to keep funding the individuals currently working on the project. Hopefully we can expand a bit more than that, and put a little more power behind the statpedia team for a super system. :)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Cryin Burnigan posted:

i only read a little of that but you mentioned particle accelerators in there. You really think you are somehow going to be able to handle, not even parse, the terrabytes of information a single event contains? If so you should be working at CERN because thats amazing
hey Ian just so you know our (CMS) event sizes are really just around 1 MB or less, so you'll totally be able to have all our data

you have a few petabytes to spare right

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

eight team members, five of which are not contributing directly to the product. mostly paying clearing wages. burning $45,000 a month on a 1-year runway.

its kinda funny how your name has 'lean' in it but your startup doesnt.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

is ian the yospos equivalent of two worlds?

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Null Pointer posted:

its kinda funny how your name has 'lean' in it but your startup doesnt.

drat son

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i hope this chucklefuck gets kanbanned

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

make it <30kb

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

30.97 is not less than 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
looks like they got (somehow) an openpandora and just ripped the screen off

• Locked thread