Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, yeah, sold. Between this and being able to choose what skills get passed down, the game is already improved enough for me to give it another go.

Looks like they're chucking a lot of the tedious stuff out in this. Seeing as the US release is still quite a while away, I'm going to see if an EU version is going to come out some time this year. Not getting my hopes up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, yeah, sold. Between this and being able to choose what skills get passed down, the game is already improved enough for me to give it another go.

Between this and the quick text skipping, this is pretty great.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gamestop still has the "Add to Cart" button on their page.
http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/persona-4-golden-solid-gold-premium-edition/104551

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dehry posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffSuK_WsAHI (Dungeon 1 SPOILERS)

They changed it up quite a bit. You get a good dose of Chie and Teddie in this clip. They also changed the shadow's voices.

Teddy's voice is way better now. I don't really care about Chie's new one, it's fine to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got my Japanese 3DS delivered today, with Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. I only just started it but I can say that it involves hacking (dunno about hacking souls exactly), and I have a loving pixie woo!!!

edit: As soon a 4 was announced for the 3DS I knew I needed one, it was just a matter of when. Now's fine.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 15, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Samurai Sanders posted:

I got my Japanese 3DS delivered today, with Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. I only just started it but I can say that it involves hacking (dunno about hacking souls exactly), and I have a loving pixie woo!!!

I hope you find it at least moderately entertaining.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TurnipFritter posted:

I hope you find it at least moderately entertaining.
Yeah, it's definitely going well. I don't really understand why its a spinoff game though, its mechanics seem almost identical to SMT to me. It has a few demons so far I haven't seen before yet, like a drag queen.

The 3D effect is pretty nice on the 3D dungeons too, though the geometry and textures are still pretty much PS1 quality.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 15, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's definitely going well. I don't really understand why its a spinoff game though, its mechanics seem almost identical to SMT to me. It has a few demons so far I haven't seen before yet, like a drag queen.

The 3D effect is pretty nice on the 3D dungeons too, though the geometry and textures are still pretty much PS1 quality.

It's a spinoff because everyone in the cast isn't a complete dickbag.

A lot of the Dark trash mobs will probably be new to you. Maybe the Light and Neutral ones too, depending on if you played Strange Journey and the Devil Survivor games or not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TurnipFritter posted:

A lot of the Dark trash mobs will probably be new to you. Maybe the Light and Neutral ones too, depending on if you played Strange Journey and the Devil Survivor games or not.
Yes and yes (well, only part of Devil Survivor, I didn't like it so much). This is the first SMT game from the PS1 era or before I have played, but I have at least tried every one of them since, I think.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Ok, just a few new game + questions for P3P. Do any of these transfer over:

-Personas in my inventory
-Equipment in use during final battle
-Items like Somas or Beads

Just want to figure out how I should set things aside before finishing. Thanks!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

DeathBySpoon posted:

Bottom of the OP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286826

Consumable items do not carry over and iirc, money doesn't either, so buy as many extra weapons and armor as you can afford and sell it once you get into the new game.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 16, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Money definitely does, ignore the post above. Personas won't, but you'll be filthy rich by the end so it won't matter; just take them back out of the Compendium. All equipment stays in your inventory, but consumables do not. Kurosawa will sell all available equipment from the start. The protagonist keeps their level, though they are the only one. Personas unlocked from maxing out S.Links are still unlocked. Status levels carry over (get ready to play in the arcade every single night to max out your Persona's stats!).

It's worth noting that Persona 4 lets you keep only money, status levels, your Compendium, and S.Link Persona unlock status, in case you haven't played that one.

Edit: \/I can't put those on, I'm already wearing glasses! :saddowns:

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 16, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now you can wear Persona 4: The glasses while playing Persona 4: The Golden on Playstation: The Vita.

Not really sure why you'd want these though since they just look like cheap 99 cent store costume glasses.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not really sure why you'd want these though since they just look like cheap 99 cent store costume glasses.
In the game itself don't they say something to that effect?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Now you can wear Persona 4: The glasses while playing Persona 4: The Golden on Playstation: The Vita.

No Groucho Marx glasses? They won't get a dime of my money!

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

mrfreeze posted:

No Groucho Marx glasses? They won't get a dime of my money!

This and the pair of glasses should blast an annoying bout of Yukkio's laughter too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

At least Kanji's function as sunglasses, I guess.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

A new SMT4 trailer is up on Nico Video, you can watch it here without registering an account: [url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1347875449[/url]

Fully 3d third person exploration with first person battles and sprite enemies. It also strangely seems to be lacking art from Kaneko.

Edit: Youtube version is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXH5WRP36fA

Bleep fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 17, 2012

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
The first person battles is a major bummer, I was really hoping for it to still be 3rd person a la SMT3. It's just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way and it's hard for me to enjoy it. Maybe it's been long enough that I wouldn't mind it at this point, as it's been forever since I've played a JRPG with first-person battles. It looks interesting to say the least.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
The exploration segments look incredible. Definitely what I was hoping for with a next-gen-ish SMT game. But those battle scenes... Ugh. First person and badly animated sprites.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Those death effects look awesome as hell and I actually like first person battles since they tend to be super fast compared to third person.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

If the choice is between reusing those sprites or reusing the Nocturne models I'll take the sprites everyday.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't say I'm terribly excited to play yet another corridor RPG with first person battles. Some of the locations looked nice, but I can't imagine they'll be very interesting to traverse.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm all over corridor exploration with first person battles, so I'm looking forward to this. It looks pretty awesome!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Any word on the plot to this one? It looks medieval but not..could be another post apocalyptic Mesians are asshats kinda deal again?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh man, that looks sweet. I can definitely deal with first person battles, because gently caress, it's an SMT game. And the setting looks really interesting, and the exploration looks fun.

But god drat it, why doesn't it have Kaneko designs, these dudes just look goofy. Not a dealbreaker or anything, but you can't have SMT without Kaneko. :sigh:

Sounds like the soundtrack will even be pretty neat. Here's hoping for some insanely heavy battle themes.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Well, at least first-person battles with sprite enemies will save Atlus a lot of money. :lron:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

POWERFUL rear end SWEAT posted:

Well, at least first-person battles with sprite enemies will save Atlus a lot of money. :lron:

The new generation is starting in a couple of months and they still haven't released a single RPG for this gen :I

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The new generation is starting in a couple of months and they still haven't released a single RPG for this gen :I

Persona 4 was released a full 2 years after the launch of the Wii and PS3. Raidou 2 came out in Summer 2009. Atlus loves to launch their big RPGs well after the generation is "over."

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 17, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How'd the Persona fighting game do for them, anyway?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I dunno how it did here, but it did pretty well in Japan.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

How'd the Persona fighting game do for them, anyway?

It sold more in its first week than any other "normal" fighting game since the revival. Pretty good, all things considered.

I don't know about US sales, though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm disappointed battles are first person considering the actual third person gameplay looks awesome. But more than that, the first person battles don't really look like it remotely fits the game or its art style considering they're sprites. You can tell they're forced to go a really cheap route because even the story scenes seem to be just talking character portraits.

Is Atlus in that much trouble that they need to go cheap on a new main title SMT?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would've liked to see third-person combat as well, the third-person stuff looks great if that trailer is any indication and to go to 2D sprites for battles just doesn't seem to mesh well with the look of the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, the game looks really weird right now. Still awesome, but very inconsistent in terms of visual appeal, which isn't very Atlus-like.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm all for it!

But I'm European so that counts for gently caress all.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I knew there was a reason I held onto my 3DS- that looks amazing. I've never played a mainline SMT game but this looks like a great place to start.

A bit more P3P chat- Alright, so my party looks something like this:

FemC - 71
Akihiko - 70
Mitsuru - 69
Yukari - 70

I have everyone's weakness covered through accessories except Akihiko. I have a Loki with Mind Charge / Mediarahan and a Raphael with Null Charm and Null Dark / Light. I can get through the first few forms of the last fight just fine, but three times in a row now I've been killed by Lovers when it uses Tentarafoo / Almighty Attack (crit) / Almighty Attack (crit) until FemC dies. How can I get around this? I fused an Abbadon that nullified physical attacks, but that doesn't stop Almighty Attack (which I should have guessed by the name, but you know...). Any advice? I maxed every S-Link except Lovers, Sun, Aeon, Empress, and Justice. I also have about 7 million yen, so I can probably fuse whatever would help. Thanks!

Edit: Also, this is on Hard mode.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

DeathBySpoon posted:

I knew there was a reason I held onto my 3DS- that looks amazing. I've never played a mainline SMT game but this looks like a great place to start.

A bit more P3P chat- Alright, so my party looks something like this:

FemC - 71
Akihiko - 70
Mitsuru - 69
Yukari - 70

I have everyone's weakness covered through accessories except Akihiko. I have a Loki with Mind Charge / Mediarahan and a Raphael with Null Charm and Null Dark / Light. I can get through the first few forms of the last fight just fine, but three times in a row now I've been killed by Lovers when it uses Tentarafoo / Almighty Attack (crit) / Almighty Attack (crit) until FemC dies. How can I get around this? I fused an Abbadon that nullified physical attacks, but that doesn't stop Almighty Attack (which I should have guessed by the name, but you know...). Any advice? I maxed every S-Link except Lovers, Sun, Aeon, Empress, and Justice. I also have about 7 million yen, so I can probably fuse whatever would help. Thanks!

Edit: Also, this is on Hard mode.

Panic increases the chances of being Critically Hit, so equip a Persona or item that nulls Panic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow that trailer is awesome and I'm really stoked to play the game. Honestly the sprites in my opinion are better if only because they have more detail than the kinda bad 3D models. Its a shame about First person battles, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Trailer looked good to me, no Kaneko designs is certainly a bummer but the characters don't look bad, at least to me. I liked the way that the exploration segments looked, nice and slick. We didn't see too much of what battles looked like, but it seems like there might be a system that supports tons of enemies at once? At about 1:39 on the video it looks like there's 8 enemies between two rows, and then 5 of them bite it to one attack, so I'm really interested in how this is going to be balanced.

I'm okay with first person battles, especially if they're fast paced. But it does seem weird to me that they're going for first person battles considering that in the exploration segments it looks like the character model changes depending on what your equipped with, maybe? Seems weird that they'd go through the trouble of making all those models and not use them during battles.

I don't understand Japanese so the only word I really recognized was "Samurai", which seemed to get repeated a lot in that trailer. Wonder what that's all about.