Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
New hard and rubber brake lines on the front of the truck to replace the rusted ones that failed the other day.. The rubber ones had spots where the line had failed the the rubber had blistered out....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just went full retard and bought new speakers and a head unit for my DD/Racecar. We'll see how it goes!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got something for the Scirocco today

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Adjusted the parking brake. Took more time and frustration than it probably should have, but I succeeded. Now I can park on the sloping parts of the parking lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sprayed it with acid!

cleaned all the aluminum with aluminum cleaner, started polishing....gently caress diamond plate.

I'm just glad the headache got pretty drat shiny with just the acid alone.

As for the pump box, gently caress you, that's as shiny as you're getting.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Installed an RS4 replica grill on Saturday. Turned out pretty much exactly how I expected it to. There was a group buy on these back in July, but they got held up in US customs for a couple weeks, and they just arrived in the hands of about 200 B8 A4 & S4 owners last week, so you might see others around. This pic is from inside the shop where we installed it, so I'll get some better photos soon.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Had some Koni yellows put in..

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

tobu posted:

Had some Koni yellows put in..

How long will they stay yellow you reckon?

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Cross posting, but still, I changed the waterpump on my 1979 Chrysler Valiant last weekend, and took some (lovely) photos whilst doing so.

Where it usually lives, in it's current state under the house (although this was taken after we'd taken the old pump, it doesn't normally have fluid/crud everywhere)

Old crusty waterpump, definitely in need of replacing

Where it came from

The old one looks on in jealousy, engine compartment missing a few things right now, but is a 265cu straight six developed by Chrysler Australia

Close up of the shiney new pump in it's new home

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Looks like my XT's exploding chinese Kumho KR21 tires are toast. Most of the tires available in 185/70 R13 have names like Sailun Atrezzo, Thunderer Mach 1, Challenger oRing GT, Rotalla F102 and Eldorado GOLDEN FURY GFT.

I could have gotten 5x100 hubs from an XT6 to run larger wheels, but pick n pull crushed it a few hours before I got there :cry:

It's time to have a reliable, tedious daily driver with a warranty. My 300cd is ready to sell to the freaks & flakes of craigslist, not looking forward to that... but 5 years is too long to keep a car anyway.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pulled out the seats and gave the Miata a thorough interior cleaning. Later this week it will be a wash and oil change.

No after picture but it's a hell of a lot nicer to sit in now.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Got half of a broken end link off my truck. The other half is stuck as hell, but it still rides better.

Also, ripped off my nerf bars.

...Anyone want to buy some Nerf Bars?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I was washing Giselle on the side of the street today and a UPS truck pulled up behind me and stopped. I thought the driver was going to make a delivery across the street or something, but he just wanted to compliment me on the car; he drove off like two minutes later :shobon:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Rebuilt the headlamps (both were disconnected from their respective swivel mounts, as though by magic - made driving home last night fairly interesting). Replaced the seat memory module, and now it doesn't try to fling me into the dash! Joy!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MiniFoo posted:

I was washing Giselle on the side of the street today and a UPS truck pulled up behind me and stopped. I thought the driver was going to make a delivery across the street or something, but he just wanted to compliment me on the car; he drove off like two minutes later :shobon:

Your car is about to get jacked :v:

Installed two new wheel bearings on the front end today. The right side bearing (which was completely boned) left the race on the hub and I had to go get a gear puller set along with the hub puller to wrangle the drat thing off of the stub shaft. Then I installed the new bearing before the brake backing plate so I had to pull the brand new bearing off too. Ugh.

I still have to wait until Monday for new stub shaft nuts and Wednesday for the new dust covers. Goddamn ancient cars having lovely parts availability... :suicide:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 15, 2012

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Pulled and cleaned the valve train, after diagnosing a stuck exhaust valve and then discovering an intake valve without a pushrod (parts rolling around in the valley).

Lubed for assembly, remounted, ran the oil pump with a drill, and now I'm waiting for the RTV to dry so I can give it a shot tomorrow. I hope it works!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:argh:

I hate evap codes. Throwing a code for "Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass Valve", which is next to the gas tank. :suicide: It's been throwing this code (P1491) intermittently since last November, but it cleared up for about a month after I fixed the EGR issues. :iiam:

Off to Pick and Pull tomorrow for that valve along with the evap pressure sensor (which looks suspiciously like the MAP sensor). Sensor is easy to get to, the bypass valve isn't horrible, but it'll mean rolling around in mud under a parts car at the yard.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 16, 2012

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

:argh:

I hate evap codes. Throwing a code for "Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass Valve", which is next to the gas tank. :suicide: It's been throwing this code (P1491) intermittently since last November, but it cleared up for about a month after I fixed the EGR issues. :iiam:

Off to Pick and Pull tomorrow for that valve along with the evap pressure sensor (which looks suspiciously like the MAP sensor). Sensor is easy to get to, the bypass valve isn't horrible, but it'll mean rolling around in mud under a parts car at the yard.

I wish i could pull my own parts for cheap :\

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's any consolation, Pick and Pull isn't even in the same area code or county. Still cheaper than brand new though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 16, 2012

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I swapped the rear sway bar in my A4 2.0T MQ for the RS4 sway bar. Changed the plugs out for 1 step colder copper. Changed the cabin filter, it was horrific to see what I was/could have been breathing. Changed the air filter and cleaned the prefilter. The car is chipped by REVO hence going a step colder on the plugs.

End result is the engine and throttle feel so much smoother and responsive. The handling is exactly what I had read about from so many others that swapped the rear sway out for the RS4. Everything else suspension wise is stock so its not going to be a massive change. I was surprisingly easy to do as well considering how tightly everything back there is packaged.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Changed a battery out because it's more fun in the rain.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsezr0qiFIc

I was waiting for your weekly CEL post. :allears:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I plastidipped my chrome trip. It worked pretty decently, but I need to mask it better, cut it better before I take the mask off, and use more lighter coats to smooth out the surface a little bit. It looks great from 5 feet, and I am satisfied.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That looks fuckin' great.

Off to Pick and Pull tomorrow for that valve along with the evap pressure sensor (which looks suspiciously like the MAP sensor).

That's because it is. A lot of companies just use the same part. An air pressure sensor is a fairly simple gubbin, why pay for the tooling to make more than one?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I threw a $30 17mm rear sway bar from a WRX onto my Outback Sport (formerly rocking a 13mm swaybar but was so eroded by rust and destroyed bushings that I'm surprised it worked at all).

I ordered a set of Prothane bushings for it but couldn't fit the bushings over the bar, and after converting them to split bushings with the help of an x-acto knife, they still were too tall to fit into the body mounts.

Ended up reusing 17mm WRX bushings that thankfully came with the bar. Big improvement - the rear end feels a lot stiffer and lets me accelerate a bit earlier in turns and correct mid-corner.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Splizwarf posted:

That looks fuckin' great.

Here's the other side.. its way better on this side, but I need to refine my process. It looks great from distances equal to or greater than 5 feet.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Lightbulb Out posted:

Here's the other side.. its way better on this side, but I need to refine my process. It looks great from distances equal to or greater than 5 feet.

I've found that by holding the can about a foot away, and applying the first couple of coats evenly/lightly, then giving it a heavier coat with subsequent coats tends to cause less orange peel.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Viggen posted:

I've found that by holding the can about a foot away, and applying the first couple of coats evenly/lightly, then giving it a heavier coat with subsequent coats tends to cause less orange peel.

Yeah, I did it outdoors and it was kind of breezy so that was tough. Next time I'm doing it inside and a little more carefully. A larger number of thinner coats from farther away. It's not bad for my first try, at least.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
Bought the new front tires and put my 2002 wheels on the NSX.

Really modernizes the car over the fat fives.

Don't look at the mess in the garage. In order to install the wheels I needed to install 5mm spacers.

In order to do that, I removed the wheels, calipers, hubs, studs and replaced all. A tremendous pain in the nuts, and I will try my best to avoid it in the future.

GTi_guy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 17, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Truck got the transmission rebuilt for a second time. This time, the old guy at the shop did the rebuild instead of the young guy :v:

Old transmisson rebuild (solenoid sticking in the valvebody somewhere made it shift far too early, and it wouldn't downshift into 2nd past ~35mph)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPKRgl3YH0

New rebuild!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhvv09XCVc

It's a 3/4 ton, 4.10 gear, big block, and still has the old horrifying energy crisis intake and (probably) cams. New intake and cams are going in whenever we get around to it. It needs a new speedo gear, too. The giant rear tire means that 65 is more like 60, and 70 is more like 63.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 17, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got my ball and chain in the mail today...

Even while consciously going easy on the brakes I still managed to trigger 2 hard braking events during a 20 mile drive. I'm going to see what happens at 30 days, if I don't get a discount I'm un-enrolling and sending it back.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Got some defense. I'm going to do a hardwire install this weekend with a concealed display but for now it's fine.

Geoj posted:

Even while consciously going easy on the brakes I still managed to trigger 2 hard braking events during a 20 mile drive. I'm going to see what happens at 30 days, if I don't get a discount I'm un-enrolling and sending it back.

gently caress that. There's no discount big enough. I'd register ten hard acceleration events a day and they'd probably charge me more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I would pay good money for one of these that tracked and uploaded high scores to the internet.

Your friend's best lateral G: 1.09
Your best lateral G: 0.89
Beat your friend's lateral G and post on their Facebook wall about it!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would pay good money for one of these that tracked and uploaded high scores to the internet.

Your friend's best lateral G: 1.09
Your best lateral G: 0.89
Beat your friend's lateral G and post on their Facebook wall about it!

I know it's kinda played out but holy poo poo somebody's going to Bommerjinx that idea. You'd make millions. All you would need to do is sponsor Honda-Tech, Stang.net, and all of the other forums and you'd be rich.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geoj posted:

One day of commuting would make enrolling in that program pointless. There's a loving mileage cap on that poo poo, that I would break by driving to the office for one week. :wtc: I'm not a loving sunday driver.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Canned tune, yaaaay. Not ideal, I know, but better than nothing? The truck does feel faster and more responsive at least (not that that's saying much). :unsmith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So what would happen if the cable got disconnected or the write otherwise hosed up? Do they have a backup program (kinda like higher end motherboards that keep a backup BIOS), or some way to recover? Or is it more of a :smug: WELP TOO BAD

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

So what would happen if the cable got disconnected or the write otherwise hosed up? Do they have a backup program (kinda like higher end motherboards that keep a backup BIOS), or some way to recover? Or is it more of a :smug: WELP TOO BAD

The programmer downloads a copy of the factory tune and stores it before any writing is done. I assume you'd just reflash it if necessary. Worst case, you'd need a tow to the dealer for a factory reset. Fortunately, I didn't have to find out :sweatdrop:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

One day of commuting would make enrolling in that program pointless. There's a loving mileage cap on that poo poo, that I would break by driving to the office for one week. :wtc: I'm not a loving sunday driver.

Going off of their literature on the program mileage is one parameter they score you on. The full list includes:

• Hard braking
  • Driving in stop & go traffic
  • Driving >30 miles per day
  • Driving between midnight and 4 AM*

*They also consider basically any time that isn't 10 AM - 3 PM and 7 PM - 9 PM to be "medium risk" driving. I don't know how this effects your discount; if driving during "medium risk" times is neutral (neither adds or subtracts from your discount) or bad, but just not as bad as 12 AM - 4 AM. According to the weekly report on the Progressive website I have no "high risk driving" time but I did drive between 5 and 7 PM today.

I figure if I can get a decent discount it might be worth driving like a grandma for a while, but if at the end of 30 days they offer me something like 5% I'm going to unplug it and return it. I didn't put in shorter final drive gears and upgraded brakes on my car to start and stop slowly.

Paul Boz_ posted:

gently caress that. There's no discount big enough. I'd register ten hard acceleration events a day and they'd probably charge me more.

I guess you can take it FWIW but according to Progressive your driving habits only influence the size of your discount and are not used to increase your rates so worst case scenario is you get 0% off your policy.

I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I'm looking at it from a standpoint of this is likely a pilot program for mandatory tracking down the road - all new policy holders must submit to 6 months of monitoring, anyone who has a claim or is involved in an accident or gets a speeding ticket must submit to 6 months of monitoring, etc. Might as well run it into the ground while they're still offering a voluntary discount.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

Might as well run it into the ground while they're still offering a voluntary discount.

You know, there was a time on these forums where you could get a yellow star..