Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have a really dumb question about GTA4 on Steam.

I'm playing GTA4 at the moment, and I notice the main menu of the game has links to the two expansions. Clicking on these pops up Windows Live Marketplace to buy the expansions.

I also noticed the expansions are able to be purchased separately in Steam. So what's the dealio? If I buy through Steam are the expansions a separate executable?

If I want them all in one place, do I HAVE to buy them through Live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

VirtualStranger posted:

Both GTA IV expansions were in my opinion, the exceptional examples of what can be done with DLC. They should be held up by developers as a model for how to do similar projects in the future.

I hope that GTA V also does the same. (Hopefully one of them with a female protagonist, because that would be awesome)

I honestly don't think we'll get additional "episodes" again, since the episodic content has fallen pretty far out of favour. I seem to remember them saying that the two episodes took an awful lot of dev time for a much smaller monetary return.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time around they stick more closely to the Saints Row 3 model of mostly cosmetic content - new weapons, cars, clothes, mini-games and maybe a couple of short mission arcs.

Snuffman posted:

I have a really dumb question about GTA4 on Steam.

I'm playing GTA4 at the moment, and I notice the main menu of the game has links to the two expansions. Clicking on these pops up Windows Live Marketplace to buy the expansions.

I also noticed the expansions are able to be purchased separately in Steam. So what's the dealio? If I buy through Steam are the expansions a separate executable?

If I want them all in one place, do I HAVE to buy them through Live?

I'm pretty sure you can buy them separately through Steam, and when you fire up EFLC it'll give you a code you can punch into the GFWL interface. And yes, they're in Steam as separate games.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Jerusalem posted:

Silly question but are you fully patched up? I recall the game stuttering pretty badly with shadows on for me when I first got the game, but it ran much smoother (on the same machine) once it was patched. Shadows seemed to be the biggest performance hit (plus they initially looked really awful) I can remember with the game, and turning them down or off entirely seemed to really help out.
Does the steam version auto-update?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

precision posted:

And since it's in not-LA there drat well better be comedy clubs again. :colbert:

God I hope not. I love stand-up comedy as much as the next guy, but my least favorite thing about GTAIV was that so much of the funny media stuff they did (TV, internet, going to shows etc) required the player to just sit still and not be able to interact in any way. The radio is perfect because you can drive around doing stuff while listening to it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I'm playing San Andreas and I somehow managed to beat flight school in about an hour. I'm kind of scared I somehow got around my awful PC control setup (. and / for tilting up and down, ; and ' for turning left and right).

I'm still not looking forward to that plane hijacking mission though :cry:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I had trouble with the plane hijacking mission until I realised you have to fly way above the other plane and then nose dive and use the speed boost from that to get into the checkpoint.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Plane controls on pc take a real adjustment getting used to.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 13, 2012

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Athanatos posted:

They also felt like feature testing too.

Parachutes, Checkpoints midmission, calling up car deliveries, backup that could completely change a mission.

I think both DLCs are pretty perfect. Lost and Damned has a good story, and Gay Tony has great fuckery.

GTA 5 will probably be fantastic with all they've learned from all 3 GTA4 games on the engine.

I think/hope so too. As for back-up, imagine the possibility of recruiting NPCs you have met during the storyline (and not killed...), showing up with your own little army for the last, toughest missions. They could make it dependent on how you've treated them, so you actually get some sort of reward for not kicking a guy off a building - e.g. instead of being mugged by same later in the game. Arrive in a bus (or a fleet of helis) with all your cronies, direct them to their positions, etc.

Himuro posted:

Plane controls are pc take a real adjustment getting used to.

You don't say. First play-through I got so frustrated I downloaded a post-flightschool save. Just a pity the helpful person who'd made it available had included a blubber CJ with mohawk and fuchsia camo pants.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I typed are instead of on. Good sign I should have been in bed asleep!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

webmeister posted:

I honestly don't think we'll get additional "episodes" again, since the episodic content has fallen pretty far out of favour. I seem to remember them saying that the two episodes took an awful lot of dev time for a much smaller monetary return.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time around they stick more closely to the Saints Row 3 model of mostly cosmetic content - new weapons, cars, clothes, mini-games and maybe a couple of short mission arcs.
To be fair, they said the same thing during Red Dead Redemption's release, but still released Undead Nightmare which did fairly well with less money put into advertising than Episodes. So, I could still see them doing something smaller and possibly gimmicky.

They're probably going to spend a lot of time devoted to the multiplayer more than anything else after release. Speaking of which, I really hope that they do the same thing as RDR and allow you to play as characters from the current and previous games. A San Andreas pack in which you can play as SA characters during multiplayer and adds a jetpack to single player would probably sell very well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You could unlock Game Boy Advance Max Payne for multiplayer in Max Payne 3, I'm sure they're on top of that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You know, you could've gotten it from the Games On Demand section of Xbox Live for just $3 more and had it almost immediately as opposed to waiting for shipping ;)

Having an original Xbox that isn't hooked up to the internet makes this kind of impossible :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Having an original Xbox that isn't hooked up to the internet makes this kind of impossible :shobon:

Oh, I just assumed you were talking about 360. My bad :v:

Anyway, have fun with it! I know I did for a hundred or so hours with my Xbox copy of it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Anyway, have fun with it! I know I did for a hundred or so hours with my Xbox copy of it.

And even then, San Andreas isn't on the European store front. Why I don't know, because I'd love to play it there v:shobon:v

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Everyone assumes I'm talking about a 360 when I say that I scored an Xbox :)

I played it on PS2 way back when and I think I beat the story missions and didn't do much else. I am actually excited to replay this game.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Iacen posted:

And even then, San Andreas isn't on the European store front. Why I don't know, because I'd love to play it there v:shobon:v

Really? I live in the uk and ive been playing through san andreas all week (that i downloaded from xbox live).

I was gonna try and 100% it but jesus christ never mind supply lines the quarry missions made me give up on that. Seriously i've everything done apart from the quarry and chiliad challenges and its gonna stay that way

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Everyone assumes I'm talking about a 360 when I say that I scored an Xbox :)

I played it on PS2 way back when and I think I beat the story missions and didn't do much else. I am actually excited to replay this game.

I loved having an Xbox when those all came out because the updated graphics and the integrated custom soundtracks seemed to add so much to already great games.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DrNutt posted:

I loved having an Xbox when those all came out because the updated graphics and the integrated custom soundtracks seemed to add so much to already great games.
I liked having a PC because of all that plus multiplayer. :cheeky:

But you guys did get that "coop" mode, which I was jealous of for a while.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cage posted:

I liked having a PC because of all that plus multiplayer. :cheeky:

But you guys did get that "coop" mode, which I was jealous of for a while.

That coop mode was terrible. Kind of a bummer, but what can ya do?

I actually just recently invested in building a gaming PC and my mind was a little blown when I realized that GTA IV PC allows you to build a radio station with your own music. It's like playing a whole new game when you can cruise around capping fools while listening to "Easy Lover."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If the PS3 version of GTA5 doesn't have a Custom Radio Station (I mean come on SSX even had that feature) I'll be really cross. Generally they do a great job of picking songs, but having one dedicated station where I can drive around LA at night listening to DJ Krush sounds entirely too awesome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

precision posted:

If the PS3 version of GTA5 doesn't have a Custom Radio Station (I mean come on SSX even had that feature) I'll be really cross. Generally they do a great job of picking songs, but having one dedicated station where I can drive around LA at night listening to DJ Krush sounds entirely too awesome.

After what the Original Xbox did for custom soundtracks, it was incredibly disappointing to see both the 360 and PS3 take giant steps backward. Sure, you can play music using the Xbox dashboard over technically every game, but it was really something else for those few awesome developers who took the time to integrate custom soundtracks in neat ways.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wipeout HD is a good example of what you can do with custom soundtracks on a current gen console game. There's a gametype called Zone that turns every environmental texture into a visualiser for whatever you've got on in the background. There are also a lot of super immersive audio effects you get from going through tunnels/pulling off huge jumps/etc..

Basically what I'm saying is I hope custom radio stations return so I can listen to my mp3s on lovely tinny airport baggage hauler speakers. :haw: I have no idea if it's even possible to have custom music on a 360 game without having to do the streaming-through-the-dash thing.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

I have no idea if it's even possible to have custom music on a 360 game without having to do the streaming-through-the-dash thing.

Saints Row 1 did it pretty fine for 2006, and even let you change songs in-game. Not enough games do that.

Actually, I think that's the only one.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Saints Row 1 did it pretty fine for 2006, and even let you change songs in-game. Not enough games do that.

Actually, I think that's the only one.

Amped 3 did that as well as I remember, and that was more or less a launch title.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Does anyone play this on PC? It really runs like poo poo, are there any fixes? Any way to get rid of that smeared-vasoline effect in vanilla IV or should I just install TBoGT?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

Does anyone play this on PC? It really runs like poo poo, are there any fixes?

Upgrade to a better CPU most likely. This game really loves having 4 or more cores on an Intel CPU; particularly if it can be a Core i5 or i7.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
And if you have an Nvidia card, set pre-rendered frames to 1, and set the power management mode to max performance.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Thanks. I'm running it on a laptop, but I have an i7 and a GT540M and the game is close to five years old so I'd expect a bit better. I'll try that stuff

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It may be five years old, but when it came out, it ran like poo poo on the high end computers that weren't quad core. I had a pretty decent machine that ran any other game out there just fine, but I didn't have a quad core so it ran like poo poo. You also have mobile parts and a lower range video card. You can't expect magic.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Expecting a five year old game to not dip into single digit FPS on low settings on a system that runs Skyrim smoothly on very high/ultra settings is hardly expecting magic. The CPU in this thing is a laptop CPU, yeah, but it's a highish-end quad core laptop CPU that came out three years after this game. At a certain point, your port is just a turd.

Dicking around with the nVidia settings helped a bit though. Thanks fellers

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Even though you probably feel compelled to defend your sweet rig, it's a bit redundant to complain about a game being a resource hog when it has been accepted as such since it's release.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

being a condescending dick about a game that's been known to be a resource hog when someone who just got it remarks on it being a resource hog just makes you a condescending dick, hope that clears things up a bit

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

bevis of nazereth posted:

Really? I live in the uk and ive been playing through san andreas all week (that i downloaded from xbox live).

I assumed it was not on the European storefront, but reading your post made me check on Xbox.com. I guess that it's not available on the Scandinavian storefront, then.

(Countdown to a Swedish or Norwegian dude telling me "Nah, it's here also", which'll make me ball up my fists for a second or so)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

Expecting a five year old game to not dip into single digit FPS on low settings on a system that runs Skyrim smoothly on very high/ultra settings is hardly expecting magic. The CPU in this thing is a laptop CPU, yeah, but it's a highish-end quad core laptop CPU that came out three years after this game. At a certain point, your port is just a turd.

Dicking around with the nVidia settings helped a bit though. Thanks fellers

Like I said, this game uses more resources than most other games. There's a lot going on in the game and Rockstar titles have never been known for being ported properly. You may have a nice CPU, but your GPU is worse than the midrange Radeon 5770 I bought two years ago. You still need a higher end computer to run GTAIV.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, really now. GTA IV is the very rare kind of game where you actually hit CPU and GPU limits very very quickly. Also; you may be having the issue, since your laptop almost certainly has the Optimus dual graphics card thing with the on cpu Intel graphics and nVidia dedicated graphics, where GTA IV is trying to run only on the intel integrated graphics.

I say this because I also have a laptop with similar configuration (Intel Core i7 2630QM (Sandy Bridge) CPU and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M) and I had that very problem when I first got it and tried to run GTA IV.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah, really now. GTA IV is the very rare kind of game where you actually hit CPU and GPU limits very very quickly. Also; you may be having the issue, since your laptop almost certainly has the Optimus dual graphics card thing with the on cpu Intel graphics and nVidia dedicated graphics, where GTA IV is trying to run only on the intel integrated graphics.

I say this because I also have a laptop with similar configuration (Intel Core i7 2630QM (Sandy Bridge) CPU and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M) and I had that very problem when I first got it and tried to run GTA IV.

Well that would most certainly explain his issue, but how did you fix it, or did you? Seems like a massive oversight on Rockstar's part if there's no fix.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Theft Auto Megathread: MY LAPTOP

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
People play games on laptops? What next? People wanting to play games on Mac's?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

davebo posted:

Well that would most certainly explain his issue, but how did you fix it, or did you? Seems like a massive oversight on Rockstar's part if there's no fix.

I had to fiddle around with the nVidia software and make sure it set 2 different EXEs in the GTA IV folder to always use the nVidia chip but one related EXE had to use Intel. It's complicated and I couldn't tell anyone how exactly it needed to be done; but you could probably find the solution by googling around for fixing optimus gta iv problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE

Jerusalem posted:

It still boggles my mind how long Claude managed to maintain a relationship with Catalina before she gutshot him and left him to his fate. I guess the fact he never talked help, being able to answer back sure as hell never helped CJ. Catalina ruled.

Several pages ago but I...I never made that connection until I read this post. I never cared what her name was, just that she was this awesome, viscous bitch. Even during the cutscene at the race when she was bragging about Claude to CJ, it just never occurred to me that it was canon in the universe. I figured it was an easter egg and Claude was just appearing out of nowhere for shits and giggles.

All these years and so many playthroughs and I never thought twice...

Jesus gently caress :psyduck:

• Locked thread