Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

This thread is so depressing.

This.

Supposed stores are getting new ways to report signal issues to engineers, but it isn't there yet. There is progress, I can now look up how ones phone is doing, if it's dropping calls and where, when and if there is a tower issue. If anyone wants a report ill get you one after iphone launch (maybe even this week if I'm bored).

I do have an email to a department that does fix signal issues, but it has to be at least 3 separate accounts to file it. If it's work and you have 3 people with sprint let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In the OP, it states that spending limits are removed with 12 months of consecutive payments. I've done my $12 months but I still have a spending limit. I'm on EPRP, who would I call to fix this issue?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

In the OP, it states that spending limits are removed with 12 months of consecutive payments. I've done my $12 months but I still have a spending limit. I'm on EPRP, who would I call to fix this issue?

Call sprint and ask for credit.

Scipio
May 27, 2003
Tender Warrior Poet
I'm getting a notification that my employee discount needs verification. I haven't been an employee of that particular company for about 10 years, but Sprint has never bothered to do this before. Anyone been through this process, know what it's like?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scipio posted:

I'm getting a notification that my employee discount needs verification. I haven't been an employee of that particular company for about 10 years, but Sprint has never bothered to do this before. Anyone been through this process, know what it's like?

Yeah, Sprint is actively looking to remove discounts, usually triggered when you upgrade. You have to submit verification via sprint.com/verify (email or scanned copy of something) and if you don't the discount gets removed. Where do you work now?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call sprint and ask for credit.

I think the OP needs updating. I just gave them a call and apparently it's 18 months and not 12 months and that I can call them back on November the 10th.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

You could always try to email the CEO, Dan Hesse at Dan@Sprint.com (not really him of course, but supposedly it's people who work directly under him who respond to complaints)

Done. Thanks for the tip.

edit: That must have triggered the WiMAX Gods to grant me one bar at my desk.

allcowseatgrass fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 17, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

allcowseatgrass posted:

Done. Thanks for the tip.

Keep us posted on how they respond. I'm a virgin mobile user, wondering if he even cares about us, lol. I might fire off an email myself later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Fister posted:

Keep us posted on how they respond. I'm a virgin mobile user, wondering if he even cares about us, lol. I might fire off an email myself later.

I highly doubt they would do anything for virgin mobile.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Duckman2008 posted:

I highly doubt they would do anything for virgin mobile.

Yeah figures

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah figures

Yeah. gently caress you guys taking our bandwidth.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
For the last 4 days, I can't send a text message with my old school Evo 4g. This thing has been solid for me up until this point, but drat. Not being able to send a text sucks. As soon as I hit send, it puts me back on the main messaging page and recycles the radios, for lack of a better term. Anyone had this happen before? I've been connecting to different towers as I move around town, and it is always the same behavior.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

moolchaba posted:

Yeah. gently caress you guys taking our bandwidth.

I was hoping you guys would quit sprint and free up bandwidth since you're getting shafted with BOTH the slow service and fees. Come on, i'm patient :shobon:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Jensen posted:

This thread is so depressing.
Just like being a Sprint customer!

:smith:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I got an EVO 4G back in 2010 when they came out, switching from Verizon to Sprint at the time. 4G was cool but mostly isn't available when I actually want to use it, and most downloading I do at home and/or can be done over wifi.

Now my contract's up, and if I do decide to stay with Sprint...

I'm kind of liking the smaller size of the Nexus, but it seems a new one may be coming out soon? Also, can anyone comment on the picture quality of the Galaxy, given that it is a 5mp vs. 8mp, but also knowing this may not be significant to picture quality.

I may consider the iPhone if I switch carriers, but right now it's not on the table for me.

It also seems like the SGS3 and the EVO LTE are pretty comparable; but if I go for the Nexus will I be kicking myself in a few months? tia

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

I got an EVO 4G back in 2010 when they came out, switching from Verizon to Sprint at the time. 4G was cool but mostly isn't available when I actually want to use it, and most downloading I do at home and/or can be done over wifi.

Now my contract's up, and if I do decide to stay with Sprint...

I'm kind of liking the smaller size of the Nexus, but it seems a new one may be coming out soon? Also, can anyone comment on the picture quality of the Galaxy, given that it is a 5mp vs. 8mp, but also knowing this may not be significant to picture quality.

I may consider the iPhone if I switch carriers, but right now it's not on the table for me.

It also seems like the SGS3 and the EVO LTE are pretty comparable; but if I go for the Nexus will I be kicking myself in a few months? tia

Send me an email to jimplaysdrums (at) gmail, I might have a solution for you.

And no, I think the GNexus is good with an extended battery. S3 is better hardware wise, but thats why there is a price difference.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I believe picture quality of the S3 is worlds better than the Nexus, with none of that having to do with megapixels and all of it having to do with lens quality.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Send me an email to jimplaysdrums (at) gmail, I might have a solution for you.

And no, I think the GNexus is good with an extended battery. S3 is better hardware wise, but thats why there is a price difference.

Thanks for the response. I'll shoot you an email later when I get off work.

Yeah, I suppose it makes sense that the S3 would have better hardware. However, I guess I need to know if having the lesser hardware will prevent me from doing anything with it. I find I use it to read and take pictures/videos much more than almost anything else, so as long as it still takes good pictures/videos I would be happy. I also have yet to get ahold of an actual SG3 to see how it fits carrying in my pocket, which is again why size is important to me.

However, I also want to feel like I'm 'getting my money's worth' by using my upgrade and the lower price of the Nexus is throwing me off a little, even though it probably shouldn't. Again thanks for the response.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407644666"]
I believe picture quality of the S3 is worlds better than the Nexus, with none of that having to do with megapixels and all of it having to do with lens quality.

This makes sense because my 8mp EVO camera routinely takes worse pictures than a 5mp 4S camera. Darnit, you're making this harder for me, not easier! :)

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 17, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407644666"]

Yep, the SGS3 is on par with the Iphone 4s, from tests i've seen.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Got an iPhone 4S back in April and its has a very annoying hardware issue that has been occurring where it randomly reboots itself. Sometimes I'll have to completely hard reset it myself. I do have AppleCare but what is the procedure to fixing this issue? I ask only because the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away in each direction. I've been holding off hoping ill be headed that way on a trip anyway but it is only getting worse.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Got an iPhone 4S back in April and its has a very annoying hardware issue that has been occurring where it randomly reboots itself. Sometimes I'll have to completely hard reset it myself. I do have AppleCare but what is the procedure to fixing this issue? I ask only because the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away in each direction. I've been holding off hoping ill be headed that way on a trip anyway but it is only getting worse.
Have you tried calling AppleCare?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

AvesPKS posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll shoot you an email later when I get off work.

Yeah, I suppose it makes sense that the S3 would have better hardware. However, I guess I need to know if having the lesser hardware will prevent me from doing anything with it. I find I use it to read and take pictures/videos much more than almost anything else, so as long as it still takes good pictures/videos I would be happy. I also have yet to get ahold of an actual SG3 to see how it fits carrying in my pocket, which is again why size is important to me.

However, I also want to feel like I'm 'getting my money's worth' by using my upgrade and the lower price of the Nexus is throwing me off a little, even though it probably shouldn't. Again thanks for the response.

This makes sense because my 8mp EVO camera routinely takes worse pictures than a 5mp 4S camera. Darnit, you're making this harder for me, not easier! :)

The S3 camera is worlds better than the Nexus. I would still rather have a Nexus than a S3 though. If the camera is the most important thing for you I would probably go iPhone.

The 4S camera is 8MP also, it's a way loving better lens/sensor than the EVO though. Not even comparable. I've had both.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Have you tried calling AppleCare?

That'll be my next step. Not sure how AppleCare works in that scenario just trying to avoid being without a phone since its for work / home.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OMGzKakaniz posted:

That'll be my next step. Not sure how AppleCare works in that scenario just trying to avoid being without a phone since its for work / home.
Call AppleCare and see if they'll cross-ship you a phone. I believe they will.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
With the JB update to GNex I completely lost all voice input and can't find a way to bring it back. The places I used it the most were the keyboard, maps, and chrome.

I have looked in keyboard properties and the setting for "Voice Input Key" is set to "On main keyboard". I've tried all 3 settings as well as rebooting the phone with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on where I can start looking to get it back?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

With the JB update to GNex I completely lost all voice input and can't find a way to bring it back. The places I used it the most were the keyboard, maps, and chrome.

I have looked in keyboard properties and the setting for "Voice Input Key" is set to "On main keyboard". I've tried all 3 settings as well as rebooting the phone with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on where I can start looking to get it back?

First thing I would do is hard reset it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

They'll cross ship, yeah. They might want to put a hold on your credit card or something, i don't remember.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

ddogflex posted:

The S3 camera is worlds better than the Nexus. I would still rather have a Nexus than a S3 though. If the camera is the most important thing for you I would probably go iPhone.

The 4S camera is 8MP also, it's a way loving better lens/sensor than the EVO though. Not even comparable. I've had both.

Why would you rather have a Nexus than an S3?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

AvesPKS posted:

Why would you rather have a Nexus than an S3?

The obvious answer is faster updates.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Imasalmon posted:

For the last 4 days, I can't send a text message with my old school Evo 4g. This thing has been solid for me up until this point, but drat. Not being able to send a text sucks. As soon as I hit send, it puts me back on the main messaging page and recycles the radios, for lack of a better term. Anyone had this happen before? I've been connecting to different towers as I move around town, and it is always the same behavior.

Still not sure of the cause, but clearing the dialer storage with titanium backup got me going again. Even restoring the sms/mms with titanium didn't stop it working.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

The cross shipped (put a hold on the card as well). Thanks for the info and help. I have updated to iOS 6 already, will this be an issue assuming I ship it after the 19th?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OMGzKakaniz posted:

The cross shipped (put a hold on the card as well). Thanks for the info and help. I have updated to iOS 6 already, will this be an issue assuming I ship it after the 19th?
I can't imagine it will be an issue.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ddogflex posted:

I believe the 4s and the S3 use the same sensor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Giblet posted:

I believe the 4s and the S3 use the same sensor.
There's been some debate over the S3's camera sensor. Very early runs used the same Sony sensor as the iPhone 4S, but customers have since found that quite a few use a presumably inferior Samsung sensor. Also, optics go a long way to determining image quality.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So who do I call to ask for the extended battery deal?

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
Anyone have an EVO LTE, coming from an EVO 4g?
I'm curious how the camera lens design is improved. My lens on the 4G is all scuffed up, and pictures aren't even really worth taking. Terrible design they did, keeping the lens flush with the metal ring around it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

CombatCupcake posted:

Anyone have an EVO LTE, coming from an EVO 4g?
I'm curious how the camera lens design is improved. My lens on the 4G is all scuffed up, and pictures aren't even really worth taking. Terrible design they did, keeping the lens flush with the metal ring around it.

That's not why the pics on your 4G suck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407668460"]
That's not why the pics on your 4G suck.

This bears repeating over and over and over every single time anyone talks about how megapixels or scuffed/smudged lenses are at the root of lovely camera performance.

You know all that grainy, lovely static looking stuff that comes up when your camera isn't taking pictures in full sunlight? Yeah, that's there because the lens isn't designed to let in enough light to suit the sensor and is instead designed to fit in the case or to blend aesthetically with the rest of the phone. If your sensor performs best at something like f/2 (this is an aperture setting and corresponds to an amount of light going through the lens and onto the sensor - f/2 is a relatively large amount of light) and your lens is only letting in something like f/3.8 (a setting that corresponds to less light being let in, but still generally acceptable for well-lit indoor photography) then your camera's (by this I mean the processing hardware as well as software) going to be making a shitload of guesses at the exact coloring of pixels to compensate for this discrepancy in photons hitting the sensor. As a result, your images end up being grainy, with weird highlighting effects going on, and generally lovely looking.

There's more to it and I'm sure someone more versed in photography will clean my clock rhetorically and correct me something fierce, but generally you have a tiny, tiny sensor on a phone camera, and that tiny sensor needs A LOT of light to make up for being so small, and the lens simply isn't letting in enough light to really let it do its thing. There's plenty of nuance to be had discussing the finer points of camera design between phones, but it often just boils down to being able to get as much light on to that sensor as possible.

The reason the 4S' camera takes such nice pictures has to do with this basic fact. How they got to that point is a combination of paying a premium for good sensors and paying a premium for good lens design. The 16GB 4S on Sprint is $649 unsubsidized, a full $100 more than the Galaxy Nexus with its bigger screen, 32GB of storage, LTE, etc. Apple phones cost more to produce, and they pass that difference (and then some) on to buyers, who never know the difference due to carrier subsidies.

The moral of this rambling post is that phone cameras are in general there because it would be really weird to not have one, and that carrier subsidies are the god damned devil.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I would loving kill for a phone camera that had a full manual mode.... but yeah, fixed f value and an 800 iso max (usually), so I know it won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

change my name posted:

I would loving kill for a phone camera that had a full manual mode.... but yeah, fixed f value and an 800 iso max (usually), so I know it won't happen.

Nokia are crazy mother fuckers and I would not put this past them.