Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

Any Hottop owners in the thread? There is a brand new drop-in solution for software monitoring and full control of roasting over a USB interface :awesome:

http://www.mlgp-llc.com/htri/index.html

Ordered mine yesterday.

This is amazing, and now I want to crush my iRoast2 with a steamroller :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Now I want a HotTop and arduino board and a way to make an iOS app to control/monitor the roast from inside the house while it roasts outside...mm...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Well I'm experimenting with cold-brewing coffee finally. I just got 1/3 cup of grounds in a jar with 1.5 cups of water in my fridge. Does anyone have suggestions on good ways to effectively get the slurry through a coffee filter tomorrow? I was just thinking I'd put a filter in a funnel and pour it through that.

E: Yeah I poured it through a funnel with a paper filter in it. It was great! Making it again for tomorrow!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 9, 2012

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
*show off your gear/extraction post*

We finally moved to our own place and my coffee gear found itself a home. It has to share the counter space with a Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer but I'm not complaining, at least we know both of them are well-built

VBM Domobar DB Jr
Mazzer Mini Doser
Rattleware Tamp/Knockbox
Salter Digital Scale
Cheap rear end $2 Kitchen Timer

Pulled this shot this morning with Black Cat, 18g, 40 secs or so, slightly over but I like it like that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

When you say 40 sec, are you including the pre-infusion?

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
To be honest, I'm quite confused on preinfusion, when I pull the lever up, the pump starts up and it takes about 5-6 seconds for the pressure gauge to get at 9 bars and the coffee starts coming out. Is that 5-6 second window the preinfusion stage?

If so, yes the 40s takes into account preinfusion (I start the timer once i pull the lever). Should the timer start after preinfusion? Help!

grabulasa fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 12, 2012

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah. I don't think it matters as long as you're being consistent.

There isn't a right time. Just have to do what tastes good.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

grabulasa posted:

To be honest, I'm quite confused on preinfusion, when I pull the lever up, the pump starts up and it takes about 5-6 seconds for the pressure gauge to get at 9 bars and the coffee starts coming out. Is that 5-6 second window the preinfusion stage?

If so, yes the 40s takes into account preinfusion (I start the timer once i pull the lever). Should the timer start after preinfusion? Help!

Yeah, that time would include it. Most shots should take around 30 seconds including the pre-infusion. It should be about 5 seconds until it comes out and then 30 total when you hit the right volume. As noted above, there is no magic number, 30 seconds is just a good guideline. I think it's more there for people who don't have a small enough grind or aren't tamping enough and getting a shot done in 20 seconds or less.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Shot timing varies depending on the type of pump and pre-infusion system, too. Vibe pumps take a while to build up pressure, and the E-61 group also has a pre-infusion chamber built in. Rotary pumps ramp up to full pressure right away, and some machines have no pre-infusion at all. With my lever machine, I usually spend a leisurely 10 seconds pre-infusing at line pressure before releasing the lever, resulting in a significantly longer shot time than I aim for with my Izzo Duetto.

It mostly comes down to how it tastes. It's instructive to spend an evening making very large adjustments to grind and dose to see how it affects things. Don't fall into the common trap of trying to zero in on something with tiny adjustments.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
For a double shot, I usually pull the lever on my Rocket Cellini - and then when coffee starts dripping - start my timer (pre-set at 27 seconds). I may let it run a bit longer if I packed it too tight/ground too fine and it is barely dripping out.

I will say that I had no idea how noisy these machines are, both the pump noise and all the vibrations of the case, etc even without a bunch of cups on top. I may crack it open after I find some suitable insulation materials.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
This is going to sound silly but is it okay to leave coffee in the grinder? I can't get over the feeling that it's better off in the bag rather than sitting in the grinder. I measure it out every time. Am I just paranoid?

For the record I grind 6-12cups worth a day and the grinder only holds about 12-13 cups worth of beans.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

You mean the beans? Leaving them in the hopper for a day or two is fine.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Yeah. It's just that I see some fancy grinders for home that look like they've 4-5days worth of coffee or more in them which makes me wonder.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ToG posted:

Yeah. It's just that I see some fancy grinders for home that look like they've 4-5days worth of coffee or more in them which makes me wonder.

It's not great to leave coffee in the grinder, you should probably keep anything more than a day's worth in an airtight container. It won't irrevocably ruin the flavor forever, it'll just dull it a bit.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Reading through this thread, many people praised the Toddy for iced coffee (my main way of drinking it). But, how is it for hot coffee? You would basically do a cold-brew extract into the concentrate and then add hot water to dilute it to regular strength and bring it to temp.

As it gets cooler, tea is my hot beverage of choice but I really want to try to get more into hot coffee now that I know more about it (no pre-grounded stuff!)

Reading this thread has been pretty enlightening for me. Much like when I discovered loose-leaf tea, it's like the flood gates of the beverage world have opened.

DanManIt fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 13, 2012

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Reheated cold brew is kind of gross, IMO. What do you have against regular brewed coffee if you want it hot?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I can only assume it's cost or convenience?

If you want nice coffee for cheap just pick up a french press and make it that way. It's mostly convenient and takes just a few minutes, most of which you're doing nothing.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

Reheated cold brew is kind of gross, IMO. What do you have against regular brewed coffee if you want it hot?

Nothing at all, just 1 device versus 2.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

DanManIt posted:

Nothing at all, just 1 device versus 2.

If you absolutely must own only one device for some reason, I'd be inclined to ditch the toddy and get a French press for regular coffee and cold brew.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

If you absolutely must own only one device for some reason, I'd be inclined to ditch the toddy and get a French press for regular coffee and cold brew.

Okay thanks, I'll just get the French Press for now, I can always buy something else later.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Last week we had this monstrosity installed:

I wanted a commercial grinder + drip combo that the coffee service also has, but the office manager was enamored by supposed lower effort of this thing. The coffee is even ok.

Edit: the company providing this service is Blue Tiger, seems pretty good for quality beans in the office.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 13, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Aquila posted:

Last week we had this monstrosity installed:

I wanted a commercial grinder + drip combo that the coffee service also has, but the office manager was enamored by supposed lower effort of this thing. The coffee is even ok.

Edit: the company providing this service is Blue Tiger, seems pretty good for quality beans in the office.

If it's anything like a Flavia (:barf:) then I'm sorry.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Doh004 posted:

If it's anything like a Flavia (:barf:) then I'm sorry.

It's much better than that. It does the whole grind the beans for each cup thing. I'd say the drip coffee is not as good as what I can make with my Aeropress or Chemex, or what I get from Jones' shop, but far better than a mr. coffee or the 36 cup percolator we had before.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
What are they filling it with? Anything decent, or the cheapest commercial bulk stale old beans? I guess that is a small step up from the usual "we can halve our costs by using less coffee" woefully overextracted office pre-ground drip, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I took a video of my Kalita Wave pourover technique. Sperglord details in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_uTdSz_G-0&hd=1

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
when at work, i use the Clever Coffee Dripper (18g, 300 ml water, 2:50 min wait before dropdown, 1 min dropdown). When pouring in the water, do you let it bloom for the first 30 s (ala pourover) or do you just dump all the water in?

Sometimes I let it bloom for a bit to get the CO2 out and also for the dramatics when my colleagues are around, but then I remember its a CCD and just pour all the water in.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Aquila posted:

It's much better than that. It does the whole grind the beans for each cup thing. I'd say the drip coffee is not as good as what I can make with my Aeropress or Chemex, or what I get from Jones' shop, but far better than a mr. coffee or the 36 cup percolator we had before.

There's a Tim Hortons machine like that at a motorway services I pass occasionally. It gets so much use the beans are almost always fresh and it actually makes decent coffee (well, for a machine anyway).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

grabulasa posted:

when at work, i use the Clever Coffee Dripper (18g, 300 ml water, 2:50 min wait before dropdown, 1 min dropdown). When pouring in the water, do you let it bloom for the first 30 s (ala pourover) or do you just dump all the water in?

Sometimes I let it bloom for a bit to get the CO2 out and also for the dramatics when my colleagues are around, but then I remember its a CCD and just pour all the water in.
I let it bloom for 30s. Then 1 minute. The stir. Then to 2:30 min. Then stir again, then drain.

2:50 sounds a bit short. Even if at 4:00 min and a fairly fine grind, I can underextract with certain beans if it isn't fairly fine.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

I took a video of my Kalita Wave pourover technique. Sperglord details in the video description.
Looks nice.

nm posted:

2:50 sounds a bit short.
2:50 is about the time that works for me as well, and I grind a little below the medium setting. I've experimented with longer times, but the results were not good.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
What's a doser grinder like to use in a home situation?

My Baratza Preciso died* last weekend and I've ordered a Mazzer Mini to replace it, but the doser seems like it's going leave a lot of coffee sitting around stale if I'm only doing a couple of shots at a time. It's possible to take the doser off and DIY replace it with the chute from the Mini-E, but the conversion cost is like 50% of what I paid for the machine in the first place, so I'm hoping for some reassurance that a doser isn't as terrible as I'm thinking it is.

* It's never been good at doing an espresso grind - you're meant to be able to get a decent one at a setting of ~10, but when I first dialled mine in it needed to be set to ~2, and then over the last few weeks pretty much wouldn't go below a V60 grind even at the very lowest 1 setting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I know blade grinders are bad, but what about "disk–type burr" grinders? These are cheaper than conical burr grinders from what I can tell but I can't really find much about them other than this except:

Wikipedia posted:

Grinders with disk-type burrs usually rotate faster than conical burr grinders and warm the ground coffee a little by friction, manual models less than electrical. They are cheaper than conical burr grinders, and are well suited for grinding small amounts of coffee (with no time for heat to build up) for home use.

I brew coffee one cup at a time, so these would be cheap and perfect for me, no?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 16, 2012

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Shouting Melon posted:

What's a doser grinder like to use in a home situation?

My Baratza Preciso died* last weekend and I've ordered a Mazzer Mini to replace it, but the doser seems like it's going leave a lot of coffee sitting around stale if I'm only doing a couple of shots at a time. It's possible to take the doser off and DIY replace it with the chute from the Mini-E, but the conversion cost is like 50% of what I paid for the machine in the first place, so I'm hoping for some reassurance that a doser isn't as terrible as I'm thinking it is.

* It's never been good at doing an espresso grind - you're meant to be able to get a decent one at a setting of ~10, but when I first dialled mine in it needed to be set to ~2, and then over the last few weeks pretty much wouldn't go below a V60 grind even at the very lowest 1 setting.

How old is your Preciso? Baratza's customer service is very good, and they will often send replacement parts for out of warranty grinders. They also have a flat rate grinder repair program that costs $70 for the Preciso. If you were unable to get an espresso grind out of it, you should have followed the easy calibration procedure. Why woud you just accept the fact that a $300 espresso grinder doesn't grind for espresso? You do own an espresso machine, right?

Doser grinders work fine at home. You grind when you use the coffee, and you only grind as much as you need, there should never be stale coffee sitting around in the doser. In some respects they are a bit better than doserless for cheap grinders, because the doser stirs up the grounds and breaks up any clumps. You can modify the doser vanes with electric tape to get a cleaner sweep.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Bob_McBob posted:

How old is your Preciso? Baratza's customer service is very good, and they will often send replacement parts for out of warranty grinders. They also have a flat rate grinder repair program that costs $70 for the Preciso.

About four months and maybe five or six kilos of coffee? The repair program doesn't really help as I'm not in the US.

quote:

If you were unable to get an espresso grind out of it, you should have followed the easy calibration procedure. Why woud you just accept the fact that a $300 espresso grinder doesn't grind for espresso? You do own an espresso machine, right?

Yeah, I followed that once the grind started slipping, and either their instructions aren't clear or I'm just retarded, but no matter where I put those windows it would only grind even coarser. Ended up just giving the drat thing to my sister, because it still manages a decent filter grind, and that's all she and her boyfriend drink.

I've got a Rocket Giotto Premium Plus V2, if that's what you mean? The Preciso is a (relatively) cheap grinder and I'd just assumed that it wasn't actually up to the task.

quote:

Doser grinders work fine at home. You grind when you use the coffee, and you only grind as much as you need, there should never be stale coffee sitting around in the doser. In some respects they are a bit better than doserless for cheap grinders, because the doser stirs up the grounds and breaks up any clumps. You can modify the doser vanes with electric tape to get a cleaner sweep.

Thanks, I was a bit concerned that the doser wouldn't work properly unless there was a reasonable amount of coffee inside (considering it's meant to hold like 200g). Clumping was already kind of bad on the Preciso and if I'm going finer again on the Mini it'd probably only be getting worse.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My Mini-E isn't great for home use. Before using it, I grind about 5-8g to clear out the burrs and then I sweep out the chute. Sweeping the chute takes like 3 seconds.

Though, as far as I can tell, the espresso grounds it produces are fantastic.

LMK if you want photos to illustrate what I"m talking about.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

dema posted:

My Mini-E isn't great for home use. Before using it, I grind about 5-8g to clear out the burrs and then I sweep out the chute. Sweeping the chute takes like 3 seconds.

Though, as far as I can tell, the espresso grounds it produces are fantastic.

LMK if you want photos to illustrate what I"m talking about.

Such is life with all commercial espresso grinders at home, unless you single dose and carefully bump and brush everything out of the chute and burr chamber for each shot. That's what I do, and it saves me several hundred dollars worth of coffee waste every year, but most people aren't willing to go to the trouble.

Sweeping the chute of timed doserless grinders defeats timed dosing feature, since it generally depends on coffee being backed up behind the anti-static screen or chute flapper. Most people remove the anti-static screen to single dose with the Mazzer E grinders. They are basically same as the doser grinders inside, since Mazzer did such a half-assed job updating the design. Most other grinders from Compak, Elektra, etc. have plastic or metal flappers inside the chute that you can't brush behind.

The only doserless grinder I like using at home is the Baratza Vario.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm personally fine with the waste. Just putting it out there.

And sweeping the chute doesn't defeat the timer. It works great as I have it setup to assume an empty chute. 20g, plus or minus like 0.3, every time.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

dema posted:

Yeah, I'm personally fine with the waste. Just putting it out there.

Whatever works v:shobon:v

dema posted:

And sweeping the chute doesn't defeat the timer.

Ahh, so you brush up to the anti-static screen for every shot. Definitely a lot easier to do with the Mazzers, because most other doserless grinders have curved or otherwise difficult to access chutes.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

nm posted:

2:50 sounds a bit short.

yeah it turns out well for me too, i just play around with the grind size for different coffees. helps to keep everything except your grind size constant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I know blade grinders are bad, but what about "disk–type burr" grinders? These are cheaper than conical burr grinders from what I can tell but I can't really find much about them other than this except:

Screw it, I've decided I'm going to plunker down for a proper grinder now instead of getting one that I'll probably replace one day. So the cheaper grinders in the OP don't seem to exist here in Europe and I don't feel like paying a huge shipping and then import tax to get one from the US when surely there must be some good coffee grinders made/sold in Europe as well. Can anyone recommend me one that's <150€, preferably <100€ even? I need it to grind for both French press and moka pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I need to order fresh roasted beans for work. Right now we're buying locally and it's a pain in the butt.

We do maybe 2lbs per week. What's a good site that's not expensive for bulk orders?