Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Ian McLean posted:

ok. I feel like you are going to try and trick me into some ridiculous stat way over budgeted time spent. That's fine. How's this work? You PM me for my login info, in exchange for this stat you want me to upload?

Forum Rules:
Account Ability: Only one person may use a forum account. Account sharing is a bannable offense, so please keep your password secure.

Does that mean they will ban me if I let you log into my account?

Or does that fall under this rule:
Crazy Catchall: Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rule listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible.

So.. as long as you are logging on to my account to give them money, then log off, I am sure it is chill.

:)

if this is your response to :10bux: im actually concerned about what 300000 would have done to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

what is this posted:

http://www.kaggle.com/about

Kaggle is an innovative solution for statistical/analytics outsourcing. We are the leading platform for predictive modeling competitions. Companies, governments and researchers present datasets and problems - the world's best data scientists then compete to produce the best solutions. At the end of a competition, the competition host pays prize money in exchange for the intellectual property behind the winning model.

what do you think about this, ian?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

no dont!!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

yeah what do you think about THAT

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why did statpedia turn into "Coming Soon"

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

he probably got tired of showing goatse to friends, "potential investors", etc

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CamH posted:

i used a goto

:stare:

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

he probably got tired of showing goatse to friends, "potential investors", etc

when youre tired of goatse you're tired of life :colbert:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Null Pointer posted:

eight team members, five of which are not contributing directly to the product. mostly paying clearing wages. burning $45,000 a month on a 1-year runway.

its kinda funny how your name has 'lean' in it but your startup doesnt.

team leader is a programmer, the project manager is important, and so is the tester. I count 7 being paid.

The project manager used to be a programmer, and he helps a lot with design. The tester is an extra 12k a year. Research and worklfow analyst is constantly taking in feedback and also helping with design.

There is enough stuff that needs to be done to keep everyone busy.

This project needs a solid structure.

Like I said.... we can keep going with our shoestring budget, and another 20k of funding to pull us through the next year.

I didn't make this budget, but if this is what the team wants, and this is what they believe statpedia needs, then I trust their decisions.

I have pages upon pages upon pages of design specifications sitting on hold because limited resources.

These support roles such as tester, and analyst make the programmers lives easier. Would I like to see the programmers getting paid the most? Yes, but they aren't asking for more, so... what do I do. I think I am just sort of approaching it as an "if it aint broken, don't fix it." type attitude about this budget.

I don't have to worry about timesheets, or making sure people developing the priority stuff, scheduling team meetings. I can just innovate, read over the code, make small changes here and there, and continue developing the big picture statpedia vision.

Right now I do tons of testing, I am constantly designing stuff, innovating, worrying about this and that. I need to start dividing up the work I do.

Everyone likes working on statpedia, because it is different and interesting, so pretty much everyone is happy with it. I put myself in for $1.

8 people developing statpedia for 300k... I would say that is about as lean as you are going to find in this world.

Do I need 8 people? Yes. I could ramp up twice that and still have more stuff to do. I have no shortage of development.

Once again... 20k will keep us starving, but they will still help me even with that much.

Really all this comes down to facilitating development speed. With more money I can scale up. With less, I can scale down. This budget can be adjusted to any amount between 20k and 2 million without me worried about how to efficiently spend the funds.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
so you're the ideas guy huh

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
give him a break he made the wiki kickstarter

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you dont need 8 people working on this

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
i wish my dreams included a small business with poor ideas

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

0xB16B00B5 posted:

you dont need 8 people working on this

you don't need any people working on it because it is poo poo

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maniacdevnull posted:

you don't need any people working on it because it is poo poo

arguably true

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

Ian McLean posted:

team leader is a programmer, the project manager is important, and so is the tester. I count 7 being paid.

Hi Ian, it's me again.

i'm just posting to let you know that i was really tempted to make a long carepost about how wrong you are, but then i realized that it could actually help you and i'd rather see you flounder.

good luck with the whole non-technical/non-domain/non-business ceo and big corporate pm making financial decisions thing.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
so does anyone have more funny kickstarters or what

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
how about some bullshit you can bolt on to your iphone http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/108290897/iexpander-an-expansion-device-for-your-iphone-4-an?ref=category

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Your old iphone

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

minor lol at the thought of those folks who funded that kickstarter for those milled solid aluminum iphone docks looking at the new connector in shaking disbelief.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

NoneMoreNegative posted:

minor lol at the thought of those folks who funded that kickstarter for those milled solid aluminum iphone docks looking at the new connector in shaking disbelief.

I posted this earlier in the thread but they loving shipped mine the DAY I placed my order for the iPhone 5

then they had the temerity to send out an email saying "eventually" they will come out with adapters

I signed up in january or maybe december, the kickstarted was funded in february.

it arrived a couple days ago.

that was my kickstarter lesson in don't buy things on kickstarter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this whole thing seems like something elgruntox would do in irc to catalog all the different buttbot quotes. not a loving Project with a Kickstarter and eight people

EIGHT PEOPLE

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

protip: do not fund a kickstarter for a product if you really want it just buy it when it goes on sale (or don't because it's poo poo)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

this whole thing seems like something elgruntox would do in irc to catalog all the different buttbot quotes. not a loving Project with a Kickstarter and eight people

EIGHT PEOPLE
free buttbot

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ian McLean posted:

Once again, I did not make this spreadsheet. I just added my name in at the top, and threw in the rightscale + amazon combo (open for suggestions on this). Currently using justhost for 40 bucks a year plus their all new cloud flare for 14 bucks a month! The project manager made this budget: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDR76NleZQsdDJRNGxHakw2T1Y3OXltamFIRk1SV1E#gid=0

I trust him. He is a good trustworthy person. He said he still wants in house servers even if we are using cloud services.

17k a month for everyone, 4k a month for the office expenses. 23k for initial one time expenses. 30k for server reserve.

It would also be nice to have one individual developing android and and one on the iphone app full time. The project manager said to include another 53k for those two individuals full time.

Even if statpedia raises 20k it will be enough to keep funding the individuals currently working on the project. Hopefully we can expand a bit more than that, and put a little more power behind the statpedia team for a super system. :)

Again, 5

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

buttbotpedia

Now there's a kickstarter I can get behind

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

I can just innovate

lol

i think your real problem has nothing to do with the code, or what's being coded, or what price you're paying your coders. if you had 2 million and your budget scaled and you had millions of lines of code pouring into this thing, versus your current budget, it wouldn't make the slightest difference in your final product's success or failure

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol @ almost 23,000 dollars for an office and office equipment.

why the gently caress do you think you need an office

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

just a butt posted:

butt buttbot

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

0xB16B00B5 posted:

lol @ almost 23,000 dollars for an office and office equipment.

why the gently caress do you think you need an office

Conference room for meetings, gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ericadia posted:

Now there's a kickstarter I can get behind

hey bro i just wanted to say thanks for the PM, you are hard to get ahold of but i appreciate the shoutout.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ian is the guy charging you 4000/month the person saying you need all this?

you should fire him

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is this posted:

that was my kickstarter lesson in don't buy things on kickstarter

see the inherent problem with kickstarter is that people say things like this. you are never "buying" something on kickstarter. you are just sending money to a black hole somewhere and hoping that it'll spit out a thing you want at some indefinite point in the future. it's not the same as preordering an anime from gamesport or whatever

can't wait for the nerd-rage when the ooooyeah doesn't show up on the doorsteps of those 30,000 people who think they "bought" one

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

hey bro i just wanted to say thanks for the PM, you are hard to get ahold of but i appreciate the shoutout.

np. I'm in #yospos pretty intermittently

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

so whats to stop me from making a kickstarter for something nerds will pay good money for and then going "cya later shitlords" and keeping the cash for myself?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sweevo posted:

so whats to stop me from making a kickstarter for something nerds will pay good money for and then going "cya later shitlords" and keeping the cash for myself?
the kickstarter tos

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
seriously though people keep banning buttbot and it makes me very sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just a butt posted:

the kickstarter tos

and that's literally all. once the money is in your account you can do whatever the gently caress you want and short of a civil suit (which would probably get thrown out since the tos says no guarantees) you're golden

• Locked thread