Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
you do have to pay taxes on the kickstarted money though.

just a heads up, you will def want to pay the irs so you don't go to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hi Ian,

This is a great idea. There are many business uses for Statpedia and it will be a huge success.

I think you would definitely reach your original $300k funding target if you made a funding video featuring Angus 'Statto' Loughran.

Statto is the UK's foremost expert on statistics, and would add instant credibility to the project. Investors would come flocking.

Hiring Statto would add a small amount to your initial expenditure, but, as a businessman, I am sure you are familiar with the need to 'speculate to accumulate'.

N.B. he may look a little older now.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ian please rename your site scatpedia because it and you are literal poo poo, thanks in advance and goddess bless

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Null Pointer posted:

Hi Ian, it's me again.

i'm just posting to let you know that i was really tempted to make a long carepost about how wrong you are, but then i realized that it could actually help you and i'd rather see you flounder.

good luck with the whole non-technical/non-domain/non-business ceo and big corporate pm making financial decisions thing.

:( can I please have your carepost?

I finalize the financial decisions. PM does tons of stuff. HR, Organization, Priorities, design, fine tuning specifications. He is making sure everything is flowing smoothly. The PM has a ton of experience running web projects. He is the one taking the heat when something goes wrong. Without him, we would not be looking at what statpedia is today. Structure to the organization allows for everything to run more smoothly. I started out working with just volunteers, and things get half completed with them coming and going spending their time how they please. It is inefficient on time, and we have things that need to get done.

We are all technical, and I have business experience.

Nothing is perfect out there, and we can all get better at everything we do. I think our team is legit, and we will be successful.

I work from home, not an office. Having an office where everyone can be working on the project together is a good thing I believe. It forms bonds, it allows for others to easily help on things, it creates an atmosphere focused on statpedia.

I am not commenting any more on my budget. If you disagree, that is fine. It is not like I am paying myself. I just want to make everyone happy working on statpedia. If they want an office, then I am going to try to get them an office if I can.

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 17, 2012

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Ric posted:

Hi Ian,

This is a great idea. There are many business uses for Statpedia and it will be a huge success.

I think you would definitely reach your original $300k funding target if you made a funding video featuring Angus 'Statto' Loughran.

Statto is the UK's foremost expert on statistics, and would add instant credibility to the project. Investors would come flocking.

Hiring Statto would add a small amount to your initial expenditure, but, as a businessman, I am sure you are familiar with the need to 'speculate to accumulate'.

I'll look into this guy for sure. Thanks.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
do you have the requisite cognitive dissonance prepped?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ric posted:

Hi Ian,

lol

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
New Kickstarter for Statpedia is live: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1630905008/statpedia

:)

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
as a former academian, I can say with confidence your only bet for use in this is to be able to be compatible with the quantitative research tools that are used to seriously analyze this stuff

hope you can sell your gravytrain to SPSS before it derails, cuz your "pubbies wanna use stats" dream is p. lol

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
does this fully integrate oob (out of the box) with Big Data?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
also

quote:

PLEDGE $10,000 OR MORE
I will have an online chat conversation with you for about half an hour about whatever you want to talk about plus everything mentioned above.
(20 of 20 remaining)
Est. Delivery: Dec 2012

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
i feel kind of bad for Ian because I don't think this is going to end up well

Ian your best bet is to kill you are self I'm afraid

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

as a former academian, I can say with confidence your only bet for use in this is to be able to be compatible with the quantitative research tools that are used to seriously analyze this stuff

hope you can sell your gravytrain to SPSS before it derails, cuz your "pubbies wanna use stats" dream is p. lol

Do you have some suggestions for some various programs besides SPSS?

I want the best research tools ever.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug
look you had a good run

but it's time to "throw in the towel" let's be honest

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
hhaaaaaa i'm not doing your work for you bro

you been chuggin' along this far and you hadn't thought to look into that?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Ian should perhaps help stats out as a whole by becoming another stat himself.

another unemployed junkie who ended his own life because he had nothing to live for.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Make a crude web based interface to R and charge $100 / month to use.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

hhaaaaaa i'm not doing your work for you bro

you been chuggin' along this far and you hadn't thought to look into that?

dude... there are tons of analytic tools. The list is endless.

I am just always open to what people say.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

raruler posted:

Make a crude web based interface to R and charge $100 / month to use.

There is already stuff like this: http://lavica.fesb.hr/octave/octave-on-line_en.php

I am not going to charge money. Forget it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just realized we're getting the $10000 investor package right here, right now

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
:pcgaming:then lets talk about something else

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

wolfram alpha is nothing, any 15 year old who knows wget and a bit of php could make the same. dont let the haters get to you ian

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok this thread is getting legitimately depressing now

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug

unixbeard posted:

wolfram alpha is nothing, any 15 year old who knows wget and a bit of php could make the same. dont let the haters get to you ian

just the thought of making a computer algebra system much less the rest of it makes me want to vomit

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Sagebrush posted:

and that's literally all. once the money is in your account you can do whatever the gently caress you want and short of a civil suit (which would probably get thrown out since the tos says no guarantees) you're golden

a TOS doesn't prevent you from going after the person who took your money for fraud.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, but i am pretty sure that most courts would throw out a criminal fraud charge. first off the money was donated in a legally vague situation -- it's not like you have to register as a nonprofit or w/e to be on kickstarter, and in fact i would say it's actually most similar to micro-venture-cap or something, where you absolutely have no guarantee of return on investment. but more importantly, getting money from people to do something and then failing at it isn't a crime unless you intended to from the beginning (so don't post your plans). kickstarter funders aren't shareholders either so you aren't financially obligated to them.

seriously, i think the worst that could happen is they try to bring a class action suit against you but even with the lowered burden of proof i think it'd be tricky to find a court that would side with the bunch of angry anime goons over the ~tragic american entrepreneur~

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

id like to see a chart of my data. oh nice but could you put it to the left there? a little more? more? just a bit more? thats it, thanks

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

ian listen to me very carefully you only get one shot at this. you need to find the biggest set of data in the house and start something with it. you might not like how it ends, but for the rest of the time no one else will be giving you trouble

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
i like big datasets and i cannot lie
you other brothers can't deny
that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a cumulative density function in your face
i get sprung

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Proteus4994 posted:

that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a cumulative density function in your face
i get sprung

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lol spss

r, sas, or gtfo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Proteus4994 posted:

i get sprung

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

unixbeard posted:

ian listen to me very carefully you only get one shot at this. you need to find the biggest set of data in the house and start something with it. you might not like how it ends, but for the rest of the time no one else will be giving you trouble

It is a good thing my hosting plan comes with "Unlimited GB's of Space*" !!!!

I don't think they know whats coming with statpedia. :)

Who put that photo up of me... ridiculous. And what is with all these cats!

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 18, 2012

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Trig Discipline posted:

lol spss

r, sas, or gtfo

k

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
fun fact: one of the dudes behind spss is the main dude behind revolution analytics or something like that

even he's bailed on spss in favor of r

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Trig Discipline posted:

fun fact: one of the dudes behind spss is the main dude behind revolution analytics or something like that

even he's bailed on spss in favor of r

I would say the overall consensus of what everyone has told me is R.

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

the overall consensus of what everyone has told you is that you're an idiot

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol

but yes, the answer is r. it's a patchily maintained mishmash of whatever some rear end in a top hat thought was a good idea at the time but if you can be arsed to make the poo poo work it is pretty freaking amazing sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

This sounds a lot like Gapminder, but

https://www.bit.ly/NbK4G5 make sure to hit play, and check out the different categories on the left and bottom. You can graph any development metric against any other one; its really loving cool and the guy who made it is really brilliant.

Gapminder has an extremely clear purpose. I don't see how they can do this without having a small army of people to comb for data. They somehow manage to assemble all of this data, keep it up to date, and the importantly keep it authenticateable. They specifically cite sources from the UN (WHO, FAO), as well as organizations like World Bank and BP.
Even more impressive, Gapminder has chosen to offer all of this data they've compiled as a download--for free.

Your idea seems to (as others have mentioned) gloss over the hard parts of the steps to doing useful analysis. Build it, and the data will appear.

Download the gapminder database. Literally all of the hardwork has been done. The data is all relatable, its up to date, and there is a fuckload of it.
Explain (or demonstrate) something novel and interesting that statpedia can do with entire global histories of different stats.

Gapminder is really cool. I read this, but it was something that has already been taken into consideration. That little question mark button previously mentioned ftw.

• Locked thread