Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I hate my (now) old Bauer helmet. The glue is always gooey as gently caress and constantly got in my hair and was impossible to wash out for 3 days. The pads would slide all over the place, so I always got it all over my fingers when trying to push them back in place.

I bought an Easton and while the pads seem much better, the goddamn thing doesn't fit. It either flops all over the place or crushes my skull it's so tight. There's no adjustment in between. I hate this thing but I got it on clearance and can't return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have no complaints after a year of using a CCM helmet.

No stink, no peeling pads, no glue in the hair.

Well, wait, one complaint. The cage screws have a tendency to work themselves out and I've lost several of the drat things because they tend to go flying when they get loose and are impossible to find in the locker room due to being black.. same color as the rubber.

Eventually I started keeping a screwdriver in my bag and trained myself to tighten the screws before every skate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i played most of last year with a kitchen sponge as my forehead pad. it was effective.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

haha

I wear a bandana. It may look a bit douchey, but if I don't, I get buckets of sweat pouring into my eyes/contacts that burns like hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, I have a Frasier Krane forehead and have to wear a skullcap to keep sweat out of my eyes. Look like a dork but it's super effective.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
My Learn To Play clinic, which was supposed to start 10 days from now, got moved to Oct. 11 and to a new rink half an hour further away. Feels bad, man.

:smith:

On the plus side, though, they moved it from Sundays to Thursdays, and I usually don't work Fridays, so it's just a pain in the rear end, not impossible.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hate my (now) old Bauer helmet. The glue is always gooey as gently caress and constantly got in my hair and was impossible to wash out for 3 days. The pads would slide all over the place, so I always got it all over my fingers when trying to push them back in place.

I bought an Easton and while the pads seem much better, the goddamn thing doesn't fit. It either flops all over the place or crushes my skull it's so tight. There's no adjustment in between. I hate this thing but I got it on clearance and can't return it.
S19, right? CALLED IT.

The S19 was one of the most poorly fitting helmets on the market and there was a reason it didn't sell and that reason was nobody could put their head in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brettbot posted:

My Learn To Play clinic, which was supposed to start 10 days from now, got moved to Oct. 11 and to a new rink half an hour further away. Feels bad, man.

:smith:

On the plus side, though, they moved it from Sundays to Thursdays, and I usually don't work Fridays, so it's just a pain in the rear end, not impossible.

I'd guess someone with a fatter wallet showed up and bought your ice time. It's pretty common with rinks.. money talks and the scrubs at the bottom of the heap usually aren't paying much of it.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

xzzy posted:

I'd guess someone with a fatter wallet showed up and bought your ice time. It's pretty common with rinks.. money talks and the scrubs at the bottom of the heap usually aren't paying much of it.

Could be. I know I've seen some crazy prices in this thread, so just for reference: it was $285 for a 13 week course. Now watch the Californians come in and say, ":lol: I've never paid less than $1000 for a clinic!"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My California based 14 game league is 395, my adult league clinic i went to last week was 20 dollars, so seems about right

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

coldwind posted:

S19, right? CALLED IT.

The S19 was one of the most poorly fitting helmets on the market and there was a reason it didn't sell and that reason was nobody could put their head in it.

Sigh...owner of 100% unused s19. I fell for the huge clearance sale on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

robcat posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

gently caress the S19. Hockey Monkey must have deleted the 8000 reviews that said it doesn't fit worth a poo poo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My six year old Bauer helmet had the lovely glue but the three I've bought since are all ok.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just had the best skate EVER.

Ice was open early so I got on thirty minutes early and worked on stuff. Then only like seven people showed up so we all got really specific technique advice which was also great. Then everyone bailed early for some reason so I got almost 45 minutes of ice with just me a coach and a goalie.

My shot is still poo poo, but the advice helped and it's slightly less poo poo after tonight. Best part was watching the coach take shots on the goalie.. I'd just watch, then emulate.

Feels good to spend three hours on skates and come away with something.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Interesting to see things move from cagechat to gluechat. My helmet's got that new black/gray cork feeling foam in it. I'll never go back.

Fun fact: did you know that the titanium screws they use for knee surgery are of the hex variety? :eng101:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 14, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have an X year old CCM "Tacks" helmet that I have no idea how old it is because I bought it used at play it again sports as a cheapo-goalie helmet for ball hockey.

There are parts by the screw/hinge that are rusty. The pads in the helmet are held 'on' to the helmet by velcro glued to a part of the helmet and part of the pad. It is EPP foam, though.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

gently caress the S19. Hockey Monkey must have deleted the 8000 reviews that said it doesn't fit worth a poo poo.

I must have a hosed up head because the S19 fits like a glove, I love it.

Played hockey for the first time in... about a decade and a half. I am horrible but it's so much fun, what a workout also.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Ghost of Castro posted:

I must have a hosed up head because the S19 fits like a glove, I love it.

Played hockey for the first time in... about a decade and a half. I am horrible but it's so much fun, what a workout also.

I too just got an S19 and it fits just fine.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bradf0rd posted:

I too just got an S19 and it fits just fine.
That just means you have a really weirdly sized melon.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

robcat posted:

I used mine for a bit, was fine front to back, but the back strap had to be uncomfortably tight, and then side to side it was too big.

Its so light though, wish it fit better.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

That just means you have a really weirdly sized melon.

This is true.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Interesting to see things move from cagechat to gluechat. My helmet's got that new black/gray cork feeling foam in it. I'll never go back.

Fun fact: did you know that the titanium screws they use for knee surgery are of the hex variety? :eng101:

Hey I just got some of those taken out of my ankle!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I'm now about 2 weeks from surgery. As predcited I have full mobility back. :unsmith: I also lost 5 pounds (not eating for 3 days helps!)

I see the doctor Thursday, but I'm sure he will not clear me to play. His arguement before surgery was that while I'll feel fine enough to skate, if I get bumped around, I can very easily undo the internals he worked on. I had to sign up for the Sr Open League last week, and I already am not looking forward to telling my captain that I'll be missing the first 3-4 weeks due to surgery (and then I'll be out of town for two Sundays in Oct.)

:(

robcat posted:

Hey I just got some of those taken out of my ankle!

Uhm, ow?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Took a slap shot to the side of the foot last night. Hurts like hell right now. Hopefully nothing is broken!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get it checked if you have any doubts. My dad once walked around on a fractured ankle for two days before he saw a doctor, came home in a cast!

Point being, you can't always be sure it's "just a bruise".

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
EDIT: :argh: ^^

Gio posted:

Took a slap shot to the side of the foot last night. Hurts like hell right now. Hopefully nothing is broken!

Has it swollen at all? That would be a good sign of even a stress fracture. I'd think about getting an x-ray just to be sure. You really don't want to aggravate a foot fracture.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It has swollen a bit, not much at all really, but it's a bitch to walk on. I set up an appointment for tomorrow...before I go to work. So hopefully it's nothing because working will probably aggravate it.

This is why you don't take slapshots in rec hockey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bah, let the swelling die down and if it still hurts in a month, see a doctor. You can be like me and they can point to the new bone bump on your ankle and say, "Well it might have been a fracture but it's healed now, deal with your new bump," and you can go "ok doc, thanks!"

And maybe he will hand you a thousand dollar bill if you aren't Canadian hahahahahahaaaa

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I tripped and fell playing floor hockey in grade 10 gym class, went to the hospital to get X-rays done anyway even though I thought it was nothing, they initially sent me home with orders to not go to school the next day until the radiologist called to confirm nothing was broken.

I went to school and got the call at noon that my ankle was broken, had to get to the hospital for my cast.

Funnily enough I played actual hockey for 8 years and never got a single injury. One month of floor hockey in gym and I was done. At least it happened in May so hockey season had ended.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gio posted:

It has swollen a bit, not much at all really, but it's a bitch to walk on. I set up an appointment for tomorrow...before I go to work. So hopefully it's nothing because working will probably aggravate it.

This is why you don't take slapshots in rec hockey.

BUT MY WICKED SLAPPER!
*misses net by 5 feet*
*hits own center in the face*

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

So I'm now about 2 weeks from surgery. As predcited I have full mobility back. :unsmith: I also lost 5 pounds (not eating for 3 days helps!)

I see the doctor Thursday, but I'm sure he will not clear me to play. His arguement before surgery was that while I'll feel fine enough to skate, if I get bumped around, I can very easily undo the internals he worked on. I had to sign up for the Sr Open League last week, and I already am not looking forward to telling my captain that I'll be missing the first 3-4 weeks due to surgery (and then I'll be out of town for two Sundays in Oct.)

:(

Rehab right. I'm going to be out for a total of six weeks after having my knee scoped - two weeks ago, coincidentally. The last time I had surgery, I was champing at the bit to get back on the ice, and went back too soon. The wait always seems like overkill - "but I feel fine!" - but you can seriously hinder your long-term recovery by getting back on the ice too early.

Surely there are other activities you can do, neh? Bike?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

Rehab right. I'm going to be out for a total of six weeks after having my knee scoped - two weeks ago, coincidentally. The last time I had surgery, I was champing at the bit to get back on the ice, and went back too soon. The wait always seems like overkill - "but I feel fine!" - but you can seriously hinder your long-term recovery by getting back on the ice too early.

Surely there are other activities you can do, neh? Bike?

I'm going to ask him about running, right now, it was hard enough to stand for long periods of time less than a week ago. I don't own a bike, but he absolutely said "no heavy lifting etc." for 6 weeks (4 weeks from this Wednesday).

It's not my knee, but yeah, it's a place that can very easily be smashed into in a game and then I'll very likely die if something gets undone in me. I don't feel like there's a problem, but I guess there's a lot of internal recovery where I have no nerves going on.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I took a slapper off the front of my shin last week. It stung quite a bit, but the shin pad did its job and the bruise I had wasn't even ugly enough to show off.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Back on the ice tomorrow. Even better, next week the CS hockey nights start, so I might manage 3 skates per week on good weeks. :)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Had a weird game tonight where we played pretty decent and didn't do anything particularly badly...and lost 12-1. Time for my pro recovery routine of a half pint of ice cream and a bomber of Sierra Nevada.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thufir posted:

Had a weird game tonight where we played pretty decent and didn't do anything particularly badly...and lost 12-1. Time for my pro recovery routine of a half pint of ice cream and a bomber of Sierra Nevada.

that sounds like a terrible combination, not gonna lie.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Do you guys have any suggestions for what to do when you have an uneven amount of guys for lines? Like let's say you have 7 or 8 forwards.

Typically for forwards I've always done revolving door style, where people just change with whoever comes off. But I feel this isn't good because the lines just get all scrambled, and there's always some guy who uses it as an excuse to stay out for 10 minute shifts. But if you keep official lines everyone can get used to each others style, and it's easy to keep tabs on shift length.

Recently in one game we had 7 forwards, and the "extra" guy would switch off with a guy on a line every other shift, and that guy would be different each time. Essentially a line of 4 people. The order it went for him was: Sit Shift Out, Play LW, Sit Shift, Play Center, Sit Shift, Play RW, and repeat. Then he would move to another line for the second period.

I felt this was better since it kept the lines mostly the same, and distributed the sitting between more guys evenly. But it does sort of screw the extra guy who ends up taking less shifts than the others.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

When I had 8 forwards for a game, we did three lines of wingers and 2 Centers.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Loqieu posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for what to do when you have an uneven amount of guys for lines? Like let's say you have 7 or 8 forwards.

Typically for forwards I've always done revolving door style, where people just change with whoever comes off. But I feel this isn't good because the lines just get all scrambled, and there's always some guy who uses it as an excuse to stay out for 10 minute shifts. But if you keep official lines everyone can get used to each others style, and it's easy to keep tabs on shift length.

Recently in one game we had 7 forwards, and the "extra" guy would switch off with a guy on a line every other shift, and that guy would be different each time. Essentially a line of 4 people. The order it went for him was: Sit Shift Out, Play LW, Sit Shift, Play Center, Sit Shift, Play RW, and repeat. Then he would move to another line for the second period.

I felt this was better since it kept the lines mostly the same, and distributed the sitting between more guys evenly. But it does sort of screw the extra guy who ends up taking less shifts than the others.

There's three periods and three forward positions. We used that to our advantage sometimes.

Of course, you could just play defense and not worry about any of that silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
When we have seven forwards we usually go with the rotating sub thing.

If you have Line 1 and Line 2, you start with line 1. Extra guy first subs off for Line 1 LW, then their next shift he subs for the RW, then next shift the C. Then he switches to Line 2 (after sitting out a shift) and repeats the process.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end but once you get the hang of it it works fine.