Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Sensurround posted:

This may not be the best place to post this, but would anyone consider trading a blu-ray? I picked up the La Jetée / Sans Soleil set on a whim when trading in a bunch of old DVDs and I enjoyed them but would probably rather have something else in my permanent collection. I'm open minded to almost anything, but already own these: Antichrist, Chungking Express, Dazed & Confused, Fish Tank, Gomorrah, The Great Dictator, Mystery Train, Paris, Texas, Rushmore, & The Thin Red Line.

I'll trade you In the Realm of Senses on Blu for it.
Send me a PM if you're interested, but, honestly, I would recommend against accepting this offer. In the Realm of Senses is the only Criterion I regret buying. (It was a blind buy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Made me slightly nauseous, but it's fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UMJojCKxY

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Barnes & Noble kicked off another Criterion sale: Buy 2 Get 1 Free on all Criterion blus in store and online through October 1st (a tad later online into Oct 2nd).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Awesome. With all these sales Barnes and Nobles has been doing maybe I'll finally get enough classy Criterion Blu Rays to make up for my Strike Witches Blu Rays.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

boom boom boom posted:

Awesome. With all these sales Barnes and Nobles has been doing maybe I'll finally get enough classy Criterion Blu Rays to make up for my Strike Witches Blu Rays.

There aren't that many good movies. :v:

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Any other rumors for the announcement besides Life Aquatic and the monthly "this has to be the month for Y Tu Mama, right?"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#51 - BRAZIL (2 disc BR, Dec 4)

(features apparently the same as the 3-disc DVD set)

#637 - PURPLE NOON (BR/DVD, Dec 4)

•New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New video interview with René Clément scholar Denitza Bantcheva
•Archival interviews with actor Alain Delon and novelist Patricia Highsmith, on whose book The Talented Mr. Ripley the film was based
•Original English-language trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted interview with Clément

#638 - FOLLOWING (BR/DVD, Dec 11)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Christopher Nolan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the
Blu-ray edition
•New 5.1 surround sound mix by sound editor Gary Rizzo, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary by Nolan
•New interview with Nolan
•Chronological rendering of the story
•Side-by-side comparison of three scenes in the film with the shooting script
•Doodlebug (1997), a three-minute film by Nolan, starring Jeremy Theobald
•Trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Scott Foundas

#639 - THE QATSI TRILOGY (3 disc BR/3 disc DVD, Dec 11)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfers of all three films, approved by director Godfrey Reggio, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions
•Essence of Life, an interview program with Reggio and composer Philip Glass on Koyaanisqatsi
•New interview with cinematographer Ron Fricke about Koyaanisqatsi
•Early forty-minute demo version of Koyaanisqatsi with a scratch soundtrack by Allen Ginsberg, along with a new introduction by Reggio
•New interview with Reggio about Koyaanisqatsi’s original visual concept, with behind-the-scenes footage
•Impact of Progress, an interview program with Reggio and Glass on their collaboration
•Inspiration and Ideas, an interview with Reggio about his greatest influences and teachers
•Anima Mundi (1992), Reggio’s twenty-eight-minute montage of images of over seventy animal species, scored by Glass
•Video afterword by Reggio on the trilogy
•The Making of “Naqoyqatsi,” a brief documentary featuring interviews with the production crew
•Panel discussion on Naqoyqatsi from 2003, with Reggio, Glass, editor Jon Kane, and music critic John Rockwell
•Music of “Naqoyqatsi,” an interview with Glass and cellist Yo-Yo Ma
•Television spots and an interview with Reggio relating to his 1970s multimedia privacy campaign in New Mexico
•Trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on the trilogy by film scholar Scott MacDonald, Rockwell, and author and environmentalist Bill McKibben

My take...

Brazil: will definitely upgrade

Following & Purple Noon: both okay, but no desire to see either again

Qatsi Trilogy: Haven't seen the first one for ages, but I liked it at the time. Saw the second one about 9-10 years ago and hated it. Never seen the third. I'll check it out if/when I can get it at the public library.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't really want the whole trilogy but it's a price I will pay to have Koyaanisqatsi on bluray so I can watch it once a week.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My fingers are tingling with joy.

Also, here are the three individual Qatsi covers, which seem to be unexpandable on the Criterion site:

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Oh, awesome. I like Koyaanisqatsi the best, but I really like the Powoqqatsi music. I saw Naqoyqatsi in the theater, and was pretty disappointed that there wasn't much original footage, but again I like the music, so I wouldn't mind owning it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Following was a surprise. But I can't help but feel like it should be a bonus feature for a release of Memento rather than it's own release. It's pretty good but nothing spectacular. Although I guess it does deserve a nice DVD release as much as any of Nolan's other films, and it's nice to see Doodlebug included.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I love those qatsi trilogy covers. Koyaanisqatsi is definitely a buy for me--probably the whole trilogy too when the next Barnes and Noble sale comes around.

The music is just so, so good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBijDU8PpE

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Chungking Express is OOP now and Amazon only has a few copies left. If anyone was on the fence about it, don't be. Buy it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
derp, nevermind.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

robix smash posted:

Chungking Express is OOP now and Amazon only has a few copies left. If anyone was on the fence about it, don't be. Buy it.

drat that was a pretty under the radar loss, yeah? Glad I grabbed it recently

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Until 12pm EST tomorrow, you can get 50% off in-stock Criterions via their store using the code FLASH.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh gently caress you, Criterion. I just feel so obligated to take advantage.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh gently caress you, Criterion. I just feel so obligated to take advantage.

I used to be the same way, but just close your browser tab that's open to criterion.com and wait until November. It gets easier every time you do it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think I can find the will to say no, mostly because I'm just pretty satisfied with the ones I have. But I kinda want to get Hunger...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have such a huge stack of unmolested Criterion blu-rays that I can't remotely justify buying any more. I mean, poo poo, Paths of Glory is still in the plastic and I bought that two years ago.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

kaujot posted:

Until 12pm EST tomorrow, you can get 50% off in-stock Criterions via their store using the code FLASH.

This one's gonna hurt. Especially now that Amazon is taking sales tax.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

kaujot posted:

Thank you very much for announcing this. I've been waiting anxiously for the next sale.

Picked up The Royal Tenenbaums, The Double Life of Veronique, The Killing, House and Days of Heaven because I've already fallen in love with those films.

Picked up Army of Shadows and The Red Shoes as complete blind buys but I've adored everything else by those directors so I feel pretty confident.

Picked up In The Realm of The Senses because I needed something to masturbate to that can hide in plain sight.

Still about a dozen things I added to the cart and then deleted because I really can't spend that much right now.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Can't resist these sales. And then with free shipping at $50 I found a third movie to add. Grabbed Quadrophenia, Gimme Shelter and High and Low.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

kuddles posted:

Picked up The Royal Tenenbaums, The Double Life of Veronique, The Killing, House and Days of Heaven because I've already fallen in love with those films.

Every time there was a train on screen in Days of Heaven I wanted to cry. That Blu is unbelievable.

Double life is a fantastic transfer as well. A better masturbation choice than Realm, I think!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

kuddles posted:

Picked up In The Realm of The Senses because I needed something to masturbate to that can hide in plain sight.

If you're looking for something to masturbate to, I would really not suggest that movie. :stare:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Don't worry, I'll be done long before I get to the end of the film. Besides, you don't know what I'm into.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 24, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry to derail this lovely conversation, but I'm browsing through the Criterion store and so far I'm picking up Le Cercle Rouge, Anatomy of a Murder, Late Spring and Ikiru. I don't think I'm finished and hearing what others are buying is encouraging. Does anybody have their own 'desert island' Criterions that aren't obvious choices?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Does anybody have their own 'desert island' Criterions that aren't obvious choices?

I'd take these three into the desert:

http://www.criterion.com/films/377-sisters
http://www.criterion.com/films/740-schizopolis
http://www.criterion.com/films/27981-shallow-grave

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

kuddles posted:

Don't worry, I'll be done long before I get to the end of the film. Besides, you don't know what I'm into.

How do you feel about eggs?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have a ten dollar gift cert that criterion gave me, so I really want to take advantage of this sale. I am in the mood for a 70's sci fi film so I am trying to decide between Solaris, and World on a Wire.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

friendo55 posted:

Does anybody have their own 'desert island' Criterions that aren't obvious choices?

I don't know if The Cranes are Flying is obvious or not but that would be the one for me. And I've never met a soul who didn't love it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know if The Cranes are Flying is obvious or not but that would be the one for me. And I've never met a soul who didn't love it.

I was sitting on the 'complete order' page and just went with my original 4 I listed earlier. I'll be at B&N for the sale in November and will keep that one in mind! Thank you.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

friendo55 posted:

I was sitting on the 'complete order' page and just went with my original 4 I listed earlier. I'll be at B&N for the sale in November and will keep that one in mind! Thank you.

Naked should be obvious but Topsy-Turvy might not be! Both to keep in mind, I finally picked up the Blu of the former. Also grabbed Something Wild, Insignificance, and Crumb. Had no idea any of those three had even seen BD releases. I'm out of the loop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went with The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Gold Rush. Three of my favorites plus one I want to give another chance with the silent version.

(My fiancée helped me pick out this one :haw: )

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 25, 2012

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I grabbed Godzilla and Gimme Shelter, but really this was just an impetus for me to finally buy a HOUSE shirt.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Rob posted:

I am in the mood for a 70's sci fi film so I am trying to decide between Solaris, and World on a Wire.

Solaris. That film will haunt you for days afterward.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

friendo55 posted:

Even including obvious choices, I'd take For All Mankind. I re-watch it maybe once a year and I always enjoy the hell out of it, especially the stuff NASA shot on the moon. The Brian Eno score is cool, too.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I wasn't going to buy anything from this sale but I am so weak :negative:

I picked up Senso, World on a Wire and Seduced and Abandoned. I was going to go with an Italian theme and get Bicycle Thieves but in my head it had a Blu-Ray release that didn't exist and unlike Seduced and Abandoned I figure it's on their to-do list.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Ugh, hurry up and ship already! I know they probably got a lot of orders from the sale, but I hate this annoying trend where companies send you an email claiming your order has been "processed" within minutes of you entering it (while politely informing you that because of this, it's impossible to change or cancel it), and yet days can still pass by without it shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I have a ten dollar gift cert that criterion gave me, so I really want to take advantage of this sale. I am in the mood for a 70's sci fi film so I am trying to decide between Solaris, and World on a Wire.

Solaris isn't in the same league as Stalker in my opinion, but it's worth having just to ogle the beautiful Natalya Bondarchuk!