Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Operative posted:

Uplay is also in Ubisoft's X360 and PS3 games.

Edit: Here is how it works in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I thought it was only on PC and maybe PS3 titles, since Microsoft is very iffy about stuff that messes with their online system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Fixed. As far as NoE is concerned, TVii doesn't exist, the only reason I've heard about it is because of this thread. Speaking for Germany though, it'd be impossible to implement because our streaming media are nowhere near as delevoped. There's pretty much only two providers (Sky and LoveFilm/Amazon) and they're both complete garbage.

I was just going off the promises they made about the 3DS in terms of this sort of content. I think Europe has, like, Eurosport highlights in certain countries and maybe some Sky stuff if you're in the UK, and that's it? NA has Netflix and may or may not have Hulu (they promised it'd be available a year or so ago but I don't think it ever showed up), and other places like Latin America, AU/NZ, etc don't get anything at all.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I thought it was only on PC and maybe PS3 titles, since Microsoft is very iffy about stuff that messes with their online system.

I've never had the chance to play a Uplay game on either the PS3 or 360, but, based on my experience with Ubi's PC games, I would have to assume that the service doesn't really do much outside of offering cross-platform achievements and extra in-game unlocks. It seems to compliment Xbox Live/PSN more than trying to replace it, which is why Microsoft might not be as reluctant to allow Uplay to run on their service as they may have been otherwise.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 18, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

The Operative posted:

Uplay is also in Ubisoft's X360 and PS3 games.

Edit: Here is how it works in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

So does that mean I'll have a separate friend list for all my Ubisoft games? After Nintendo finally got the friend list thing right? And it has separate achievements too*. That's kind of annoying. I hope it doesn't become a trend among major third parties (though I know EA is doing it too). I could take this sort of thing more seriously if it could import data from your existing PSN/XBL/NN account.

*I don't think achievements are confirmed for Wii U, but there have been a bunch of leaks strongly pointing to it. I personally don't give a poo poo if it has them or not, but I guess some people do?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rake Arms posted:

*I don't think achievements are confirmed for Wii U, but there have been a bunch of leaks strongly pointing to it. I personally don't give a poo poo if it has them or not, but I guess some people do?

I think Nintendo has said that achievements will exist only if devs want to put them in, which would make achievements useless since there won't be any dedicated Nintendo database telling the world how awesome I am at future Metroid games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The achievement system in Uplay is typically linked to pre-existing achievements, so it's more like a third party reward system rather than a whole new internal achievement list that doesn't register to your NN/PSN/XBLA account. So like in Assassin's Creed: Whatever, you could get an achievement when you beat the game and when you connect to Uplay it would give you a few points because that achievement was a Uplay one.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Rake Arms posted:

So does that mean I'll have a separate friend list for all my Ubisoft games? After Nintendo finally got the friend list thing right? And it has separate achievements too*. That's kind of annoying. I hope it doesn't become a trend among major third parties (though I know EA is doing it too). I could take this sort of thing more seriously if it could import data from your existing PSN/XBL/NN account.

Like Policenaut said, at least on current generation consoles, Uplay is intended supplement the main online service. For the time being, we know very little about the structure of Nintendo Network, outside of it working with Uplay in some capacity.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 18, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've just pre-ordered the ZombiU bundle at Amazon.co.uk. It came out at just about £343, including P&P and VAT. And that's still cheaper than if I had bought it at what's considered one of the cheapest retailers in Denmark (where it had been ~£389,56) Only downside is I won't get it the 30th, but that's alright with me.

The best thing is that I can now flipflop about it, because I had really decided not to buy it at launch. I really need to see more about online and what options the games offer. Nintendoland is, for example, completely useless to me multiplayer-wise if there isn't an online function.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That WiiU Romance of the Three Kingdoms looks so good. The gamepad is perfect for strategy games. It's also going to be playable on the tablet alone, man this is going to be a great time-waster.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Need for Speed Most Wanted 2 might be coming:
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185580

And apparently another dev (Firebrand) working on another unannounced game (probably driving going by their past):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/sep/17/wii-u-interview?newsfeed=true

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So I think this is new: Nintendo will replace any broken Wii U GamePad for a currently undisclosed amount.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Well thats good news, since they arent sold seperatly and the cost was supposed to be around 170$ for one.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

How is that surprising? They've been doing repairs/replacements on issues not covered by warranty for decades.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Katana Gomai posted:

How is that surprising? They've been doing repairs/replacements on issues not covered by warranty for decades.

The Wii U was going to be a console hardcore mode. Once you break something you have to start a new console. It's another ploy to appeal to the hardcore gamer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Dark Souls of hardcore game console buying.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Policenaut posted:

The Dark Souls of hardcore game console buying.

Just what we needed, a red "YOU DIED FAILED" screen popping up after preorder.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nintendo's the definition of a company that can't do what it wants. If you look up interviews with the top Zelda developer he has flat out said that he's been stuck in a "Zelda prison" for over a decade, finishing development on one game and then just getting started on the next, or overseeing a handheld and console Zelda at the same time.

This is actually pretty damning when you consider that Masahiro Sakurai--a dude who left HAL because of constant sequelization of Kirby--is now trapped in the same loop he escaped from. I think they had to beg him to come back for Brawl. At least with the next one they pulled in Namco; I think they might have had to do that to prevent exhausting him.
I think I read that the Zelda developer initially wanted to do something else but he was convinced to keep doing Zelda and now here we are, on his 6th or so Zelda.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really love the news about Namco. They make great, balanced competitive fighters like Tekken with great netcode, hopefully they have some creative influence and we get a Smash Bros. with more competitive elements instead of ridiculously overpowered/underpowered characters, items, randomness, and tripping.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really love the news about Namco. They make great, balanced competitive fighters like Tekken with great netcode, hopefully they have some creative influence and we get a Smash Bros. with more competitive elements instead of ridiculously overpowered/underpowered characters, items, randomness, and tripping.

If you designed Smash bros. to be a competitive game like Tekken or any of the other real fighting games, you would lose of what made Smash bros., Smash bros.

First off they would need to trim the stable of Smash bros. characters to get rid of duplicates. Second, items would not be able to have the large effect on gameplay that they do. You cannot have a random element be a major part of a game that's deemed competitive. Third you would need to increase the skill that is needed to play Smash bros. You have no complex moves in the game at all, effectively making every character have equivelent move sets and combos.

This is pretty much why Power Stone never became a competative fighter. If you wanted it to be a serious business arena fighter you can't have all the other non-fighting based elements in the game. Fighting games at their core is all about perfecting a technique. Power Stone and Smash bros. are not about that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaerai Archon posted:

If you designed Smash bros. to be a competitive game like Tekken or any of the other real fighting games, you would lose of what made Smash bros., Smash bros.

First off they would need to trim the stable of Smash bros. characters to get rid of duplicates. Second, items would not be able to have the large effect on gameplay that they do. You cannot have a random element be a major part of a game that's deemed competitive. Third you would need to increase the skill that is needed to play Smash bros. You have no complex moves in the game at all, effectively making every character have equivelent move sets and combos.

This is pretty much why Power Stone never became a competative fighter. If you wanted it to be a serious business arena fighter you can't have all the other non-fighting based elements in the game. Fighting games at their core is all about perfecting a technique. Power Stone and Smash bros. are not about that.

He's not talking about turning smash bros. into Tekken. We simply don't want another game like Brawl that had its competitive aspects nerfed for "casual wackiness".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

He's not talking about turning smash bros. into Tekken. We simply don't want another game like Brawl that had its competitive aspects nerfed for "casual wackiness".

I didnt know this was a complaint. Isnt that what all the match adjustments are for? Turn of items and its more skill based? Whats the specific complaints?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought that's what the adjustment mensu were for? Or am I thinking of something else?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only reason I care about Namco helping with Smash bros is because it makes "Tales of Super Smash Bros" possible. It won't happen, but such a game would be amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

I didnt know this was a complaint. Isnt that what all the match adjustments are for? Turn of items and its more skill based? Whats the specific complaints?

The characters range from "useless" to "no other character can beat this character in the hands of a pro", the system randomly will make you fall down giving you less predictability that what you tell your character to do will actually happen, the number of stages that don't completely interfere in the match are very limited.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaerai Archon posted:

I thought that's what the adjustment mensu were for? Or am I thinking of something else?

You can't adjust the horrible character balancing, floaty physics, and random tripping in the menus...

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Momomo posted:

The only reason I care about Namco helping with Smash bros is because it makes "Tales of Super Smash Bros" possible. It won't happen, but such a game would be amazing.

If there were ever to be a Smash Bros. spinoff, I say turn Subspace Emissary into a full-fledged co-op action platformer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

The characters range from "useless" to "no other character can beat this character in the hands of a pro", the system randomly will make you fall down giving you less predictability that what you tell your character to do will actually happen, the number of stages that don't completely interfere in the match are very limited.

Forgive me for not being versed in fighting games but from what I have seen every game had characters that get used a lot and that nobody would ever use in a real competition.

I dont mean to start a debate. Smash brothers obviously isnt supposed to be a 'professional' gamer game. But I would NOT want a Smash Brothers that didnt have the availibility of all the wackiness.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one would. But a lot of people want one where it is optional instead of forced.

For an example of such a game see Super Smash Bros Melee.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

But I would NOT want a Smash Brothers that didnt have the availibility of all the wackiness.

It's fine for you to want that. However:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5098qGIuVps

I should not have to rely on fans to have to hack the game to make characters not lovely or to have some awesome 1v1 fights.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 18, 2012

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bombadilillo posted:

Forgive me for not being versed in fighting games but from what I have seen every game had characters that get used a lot and that nobody would ever use in a real competition.

I dont mean to start a debate. Smash brothers obviously isnt supposed to be a 'professional' gamer game. But I would NOT want a Smash Brothers that didnt have the availibility of all the wackiness.

The difference is the gulf between tiers of characters. Metaknight is literally better than every other character in the game (i.e. he has no bad matchups meaning >50% winrate against all other characters). Even when Sagat was considered overpowered in vanilla SF4, he still had bad matchups.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bombadilillo posted:

Well that's sort of the problem. Tournament play functions on stripping out items and making stages very simple and static, but that by it's very nature unbalances the game towards fast-moving high-damage characters. And then some characters managed to end up with chain combos that are very hard to break. Without items there's no chance of a Starman or Bob-omb coming by the wreck the combo. A lot of people also hated that Brawl added tripping. I mean, disproportional hate to the effect it actually has on the game.

There are several pretty decent mods that try and make the game more balanced. And there are also mods that seem to exist entirely to make it Melee 2.

For actual Wii U content: the biggest thing they need to get right is netcode. Online Smash Brothers has seemed like a no brainer since they announced the Gamecube had a network adapter, but that had no online, and even when Brawl did it was laggy as hell.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 18, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Well that's sort of the problem. Tournament play functions on stripping out items and making stages very simple and static, but that by it's very nature unbalances the game towards fast-moving high-damage characters. And then some characters managed to end up with chain combos that are very hard to break. Without items there's no chance of a Starman or Bob-omb coming by the wreck the combo. A lot of people also hated that Brawl added tripping. I mean, disproportional hate to the effect it actually has on the game.

There are several pretty decent mods that try and make the game more balanced. And there are also mods that seem to exist entirely to make it Melee 2.

Cool. All this stuff is way above my level of Smash Bro's. Which is my brother and his friends kicking my rear end with any/all characters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

I'm not saying you make Tekken with smash bros characters. Just take out all the trash like tripping and the incredibly forgiving floaty physics, re-introduce momentum, balance characters so that they're not so far apart in pure power and speed (What do you lose by Sonic being 30% faster than Bowser, instead of about five loving times faster? What other fighting game do you know of that has stat differences that insane?).

The game doesn't need more complex controls, it just needs momentum so you can chain together creative combos that require a lot of skill and precision, just look at some advanced players playing Melee or hell, the brawl M+ mod. Putting a huge barrier between the player and character movesets with tons of button combinations and poo poo is just bad design IMO. Every game should be easy to learn and hard to master.

Items can also be balanced so that they're not such tide-turners. Pokeballs, for example. Some of them summon a pokemon that sits still and performs an attack, so it demands that the summoner throws the opponent into its attack range, that takes skill.

Motherfucking unavoidable flying dragons that deal a shitload of damage and KO you 90% of the time is incredibly unnecessary, that kind of trash can be taken out without impacting the smash bros feel of wackiness, but help balance tremendously.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How many systems do you think will be destroyed by the "that guy who destroys the system in front of a line of people waiting to get it so he can post it on youtube" brigade?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
FFS, if I were to see someone doing that I'd probably tackle them. If you're not going to use the machine there are a billion charities that could use that $300.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, but you know it will happen. It's a really loving weird custom.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Yeah, but you know it will happen. It's a really loving weird custom.

I find it odd how you never see anyone run up and grab the console before it gets smashed. That's what i'd do at least if I had the opportunity.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

I find it odd how you never see anyone run up and grab the console before it gets smashed. That's what i'd do at least if I had the opportunity.

Why? It belongs to him.

Not that he's not being the biggest possible shitbird by smashing the console for no reason but I don't see what you could do about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo updated their website with release dates. Exactly 22 games will be available on Launch Day, including Assassin's Creed 3, ZombiU. They have more listed for before the end of the year. Pikmin 3 isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is Pikmin still in the "launch window"?

• Locked thread