Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Krazyface posted:

Speaking of which: the upcoming UCS B-Wing is $200.00 for the US store, $350.00 (before shipping) in Aus. I know this thread probably gets tired of the bitching about Australian prices, but come the gently caress on! Does anyone know any way around this? Is it legal to ask?

Hope barnes and noble carries it so you can buy it at american mrsp. It is what I do up here, it ends up saving me 25% at least even when buying stuff not on sale even with the shipping cost. What I can't get from there I have some friends that go do exercises down with the national guard and they are there for a week or two and pass by a lego store. So sets with markup like the b-wing I have them pick up for me. Just have to play the waiting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Maybe we could start an underground brick railroad like what is done for Warhammer models?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ElwoodCuse posted:

Saw the new minifigs at Target. Just grabbed 4, thought for a first time buy I'd be ok. Three loving football players.

My girlfriend is some sort of god drat minifig-whisperer, because we randomly decided to buy 5 of them and she was able to correctly pick each one from just feeling them out. Target is great for these because they are not right in front of a register or something like most places put them apparently, so you can spend a few minutes feeling them out and getting weird looks from employees!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Went to 4 targets this weekend and none of them had the ghost bags out. Grabbed a bunch of minifigs at random and only got a single double (red riding hood). Only 2 stores even had minifigs which was a bit odd. Neither of them were super targets.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

madpanda posted:

Went to 4 targets this weekend and none of them had the ghost bags out. Grabbed a bunch of minifigs at random and only got a single double (red riding hood). Only 2 stores even had minifigs which was a bit odd. Neither of them were super targets.

I was lucky when I went in and they were setting the area, so I could just ask.

They're on an endcap in seasonal, in case anyone can't find where they're supposed to be.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

UK Goons, ToysRUs have a '3-for-2' offer on Lego, ending tonight.
The sale includes some of the higher priced sets - Falcon, Republic Frigate, LOTR stuff.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Karma Tornado posted:

Playmates rep told me they were angling for a Lego deal back at Toy Fair.

Ohh wow, cool. Thanks for the info dude.

So it'll be yet another license that MegaBloks once had, but LEGO ended up with later, along with POTC and Spiderman (any others?)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Walgreens had the new minifigs as well.

Kimble and Ridgeway in Waterloo Iowa.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

To Mr Glass and any other Pittsburgh legoons:

East Liberty Target had a thing of Series 8 out. Also Friends Mailboxes, but no Ghosts.

Got:
Batboy (Gave to girlfriend)
Spaniard
Robot
DJ

If any of you pick up a Cowgirl, I'll buy it off of you. ( Girlfriend is from Texas )

e: I might just stop after work and grab another 4 or 5 bags.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Sockser posted:

East Liberty Target had a thing of Series 8 out. Also Friends Mailboxes, but no Ghosts.

Got:
Spaniard
Robot
DJ

If any of you pick up a Cowgirl, I'll buy it off of you. ( Girlfriend is from Texas )

I continue to be terrible at the feel method. I run about 60%. I confused the ski pole for a wand and the ski's for wings. I also ended up with a cheer leader somehow. I have no idea what I thought she was. Have the weights for series 8 been put up anywhere?

UngorEatStefan
Oct 23, 2004
Street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

Sockser posted:

Got:
Spaniard
Robot
DJ

Weirder still is that Waterfront target has ghosts but no series 8!

I got six series 8 figures by just blind grabbing and got six unique figures. It was pretty lucky and awesome.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
We should set up a SA-Mart thread to trade Minifigs, as my GF seems to be a loving savant at feeling out minifigs. She's 9 to 10 now on guessing exactly which ones are in the bags.

I feel like I should use her superpower for the good of all goons.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

jeeves posted:

We should set up a SA-Mart thread to trade Minifigs, as my GF seems to be a loving savant at feeling out minifigs. She's 9 to 10 now on guessing exactly which ones are in the bags.

I feel like I should use her superpower for the good of all goons.

we had one at one point, but it it died and fell into the archives.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I was amazing at feeling series 5 and have gotten progressively worse. I think it's that I just don't have the patience for it I once had.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

It takes me a while to do it, but I almost always get the ones I want. Everytime after I am done I think about buying the next season as a complete set on ebay/bricklink for just a lil bit more.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

We were at a Target in Maryland this weekend and they had the ghost polybags stuffed into the shelf near the little car kits in the regular Lego aisle. Pretty easy to miss, they were half hidden by the Monster Fighters minifig display case instead of hanging up anywhere. If you can't find them in the Halloween stuff, check around there.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sockser posted:

Got:
Spaniard
Robot
DJ

drat, probably too late for me at this point :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Holy crapdoodles, my mom bought me the Haunted Mansion for my birthday! I've never even mentioned it to her either. She said that the last time she came over, she noticed my Lego stuff and the few modular buildings I had. After that, she drove 3 cities over to the nearest Lego store and looked for something similar.

Best.Mom.Ever.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Best.Mom.Ever.

Seriously. She looking to adopt?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Best.Mom.Ever.
She's a keeper.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChesterJT posted:

Seriously. She looking to adopt?

Hell, you never know. I used to get really great care packages from her (like, she sent me a DVD player once) when I lived on the other side of the country. Some of my friends heard about it and we're all "Man, I wish I could get that stuff.". She then met some of them when she came to visit one summer, and after that she started sending them some kick-rear end care packages.

Aren't moms great!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does Hero Factory have a story anything like Bionicle did?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've asked this before but never got any responses, but since I'm still looking I'll try again.
Has anyone seen any good fire techniques? For a burning building or similar?
I've seen the fire piece connected together trick, but I mean using bricks. Anyone seen fire related MOCs that looked good?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've asked this before but never got any responses, but since I'm still looking I'll try again.
Has anyone seen any good fire techniques? For a burning building or similar?
I've seen the fire piece connected together trick, but I mean using bricks. Anyone seen fire related MOCs that looked good?

It's on Brothers Brick somewhere but I can't find it,
there's this giant black castle-fortress thing in a lava lake, with lots of jets of flame coming up, but I can't seem to find it right now.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Sockser posted:

It's on Brothers Brick somewhere but I can't find it,
there's this giant black castle-fortress thing in a lava lake, with lots of jets of flame coming up, but I can't seem to find it right now.

This one?

That seems like more of a lava effect, but it would probably be the way to go if you don't want to use flame pieces; get a boatload of different trans orange and trans red shapes and experiment to see what looks good.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
Anyone buying the B-Wing or the Winter Village when they come out on the 1st? We just got them in the shipment today and they look pretty rad.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

DethMarine21 posted:

This one?

That seems like more of a lava effect, but it would probably be the way to go if you don't want to use flame pieces; get a boatload of different trans orange and trans red shapes and experiment to see what looks good.

This is very cool, but not quite what I meant. You're right, I'm just gonna have to buy a load of trans orange

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 19, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I plan on getting the Winter Village. I'd love the B-Wing but it's going to be a bit out of my budget.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

youareoffthehook posted:

Anyone buying the B-Wing or the Winter Village when they come out on the 1st? We just got them in the shipment today and they look pretty rad.

The B-Wing will be mine. Yessss.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Hey Lego thread, just a heads up that brick badger is donating all it's September commissions from Amazon.com (just the US site for pain in the rear end tax reasons) to the fund for Vilerat's wife and kids. It's not a donation drive or anything, but if you are buying anything from amazon.com and you want to add a little to the fund feel free to click on any BB amazon link first (it doesn't have to be Lego, as long as you click a link first you can buy anything) and a small percentage of what you spend will go to his family.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, this video is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w
LEGO Great Ball Contraption

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hey guys. I'm thinking about picking up an AFOL friendly set in the next week or so and I'm basically trying to decide between the VW Camper, Sopwith Camel and Haunted House. I'll hopefully pick up all of them at some point but which is considered the better build/display piece?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gravy Jones posted:

Hey Lego thread, just a heads up that brick badger is donating all it's September commissions from Amazon.com (just the US site for pain in the rear end tax reasons) to the fund for Vilerat's wife and kids. It's not a donation drive or anything, but if you are buying anything from amazon.com and you want to add a little to the fund feel free to click on any BB amazon link first (it doesn't have to be Lego, as long as you click a link first you can buy anything) and a small percentage of what you spend will go to his family.

That's awesome, you are awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PriorMarcus posted:

Hey guys. I'm thinking about picking up an AFOL friendly set in the next week or so and I'm basically trying to decide between the VW Camper, Sopwith Camel and Haunted House. I'll hopefully pick up all of them at some point but which is considered the better build/display piece?

The vw camper will be going out of production sooner than the others, and I have heard great things about it, so I suggest that one. Haunted house will be around for a while yet.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Finally got my Olympic Minifigs. I bought from a dealer on eBay and apparently the first set he sent was eaten by the great postal system. He resent a set and included a City Helicopter poly bag for my troubles.

On a totally different topic..

Finally a cuusoo project I can get behind - http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/25324

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 19, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Taeke posted:

Holy poo poo, this video is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w
LEGO Great Ball Contraption

Sadly, seems like some of those individual sections are manually operated. In his previous videos he shows off the individual sections and some of them he uses manual air pump for.

Still, it's insanely impressive.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong. One was manual at first but that was just for the original video. He made it automatic in time for the Great Ball Contraption

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 19, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

youareoffthehook posted:

It's going to be hard to resist. I wish I weren't having so much trouble finding myself a new job...my wife isn't keen on me spending all her money on Lego.

I finally got back to finishing the underside for my SSD, though. It's not perfectly flat anymore!

Picture looks weird since its a panorama and I don't have a steady hand. :(

Testro
May 2, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

As Invictus said, if you're going to buy them all, always buy the one that's going away soonest / been out the longest. So VW Camper > Sopwith Camel > Haunted House.

I think the Sopwith Camel is probably the most impressive display piece. I was a bit nonplussed with it online (it's good, but I'm not really military minded) but it blew me away seeing it in person.

I liked the Haunted House when I saw it on display (although seeing it in line with the modulars actually did it a favour; it looks small by itself but it is a fair size) but I can't justify £150 on it. I managed to get Town Hall for £135 so I will be looking for at least that, if not nearer £120.

Veeb0rg posted:

Finally a cuusoo project I can get behind - http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/25324

I'd really like a monorail set, but I sincerely doubt it will ever happen. :( Whenever I've seen Lego surveys, they always stress things like, "Except Monorail, what would you like..." - so I imagine they've had plenty of AFOLs ask it in the past and they don't see it fitting into their business plan.

I bought Joust today, after coveting it for most of the year. I found it a really tough decision; hopefully it's a great build.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Testro posted:

I bought Joust today, after coveting it for most of the year. I found it a really tough decision; hopefully it's a great build.

I don't think you'll regret it. I actually just disassembled mine after having it built since March and holy cow, is it ever an involved build. It's also one of the nicest looking castles I've ever seen Lego put out. A medieval aesthetic with all the detailing one would expect from the AFOL sets. I had it next to the King's Castle from the recent Lions/Dragon knight castle line and it might not be as complete - the castle in Joust is basically a storefront, not a fully enclosed castle - but it runs laps around it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

So, uh, can anyone suggest a shelving unit large enough to fit the super star destroyer on? Do companies even MAKE shelves that large or am I going to be coming up with something myself?