Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Soulex posted:

And investment into a system? I bought lenses for the Nikon. That is it. I have an old saying with brand loyalty. Once I start getting paid to use a brand is when I'll stick with it exclusively.

I think for most people it's less about being "loyal" to a brand, and more about the fact that they have thousands (or even tens of thousands) of dollars of equipment and would take a major loss by switching. You do, of course, see a lot of posturing about which brand is "better," mostly on other sites than these forums, but the fact is that you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon, or even Sony, Olympus and Pentax, unless you have a specific need that only one brand fills.

The only reasonable advice is to go with whatever brand feels best, and/or whatever brand you can borrow lenses in. Things like resolution, autofocus performance, noise performance, etc. are far beyond what your average person needs nowadays, and everyone is leap-frogging each other year by year anyway.

By the way, the T2i came out 3.5 years after the D80. It should blow the D80 away in pretty much any metric, so envying it is pretty reasonable :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Gave someone advice in /r/photography last night. They downvoted my post and deleted their account. I won't stray again, I promise.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

man, r/photography. That's a bad place.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea that's a hosed up place, lot's of pixel peeping gear heads that either love over processed photos or love SOOC photos. There is no middle ground. /r/ITAP is what baffles me..

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't hate reddit as much as the goon party line says I should but anything remotely touching on photography is such a clusterfuck I just can't stand to read all their terrible opinions.

Dorkroom is such a ridiculous sanctuary for online photography chat, I really have no idea how we didn't all end up being canon vs. nikon circlejerkers HDRing our cat pictures

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because every time we got into another argument about which brand is better, a dozen people would be coughing up another :10bux: to maintain their membership.

Imagine what flickr would be like if you had to spend ten dollars to make an account. :allears:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

xzzy posted:

Because every time we got into another argument about which brand is better, a dozen people would be coughing up another :10bux: to maintain their membership.

Imagine what flickr would be like if you had to spend ten dollars to make an account. :allears:

This is the reason I trust you all the most.

The first words on my gear switch was why. Not a word about the camera itself but what purpose does it serve.

I like that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

It would be wonderful :allears:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
It would be as blackened and desolate and emptied as a scorched battlefield in this Game of Thrones book I'm reading.

Who would stay and if charged from the beginning, who would have come? People flock from that site in droves when they change an icon in the top right banner to better represent it's link.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
So Google apparently just bought up Nik Software, which is too bad because while I only use Silver Efex Pro 2 myself, I've heard that pretty much all their software is kick-rear end.

Google's probably only interested in Nik Snapseed so that Android will have a competitor to Instagram, and will likely either sell off the pro software if they can or just let it die. (They have a history of doing that to companies they buy.) :(

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software.aspx/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They've just announced a budget Leica. It's only £3900.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Oh thank heavens.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Well isn't that good news! I had almost sold every one of my possessions so I could join the Leica club. At least now I'll get to keep the dog. Or the TV.

...hm... decisions.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The best thing about the new Leicas is watching the rage pour out of the Leica snobs about it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Now you don't have to sell both of your kidneys. It's brilliant.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I am greatly anticipating the arrival of this Leica ME Super.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

The best thing about the new Leicas is watching the rage pour out of the Leica snobs about it.
A thousand times this oh my lord. My boss (who's been shooting his m6 til now) just said: you know you're screwed up when this looks cheap to you.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

A thousand times this oh my lord. My boss (who's been shooting his m6 til now) just said: you know you're screwed up when this looks cheap to you.

I want to buy one just so I can run around the streets of Vancouver holding it at arm's length while taking video.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'm half-serious when I say we should just subtitle this thread with "Pentax ME Super 4 lyfe".

e. I also wish I could get a replacement winding lever for mine. It fell out one day at the beach :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fiannaiocht posted:

I am greatly anticipating the arrival of this Leica ME Super.

gonna own

Casull posted:

I'm half-serious when I say we should just subtitle this thread with "Pentax ME Super 4 lyfe".

e. I also wish I could get a replacement winding lever for mine. It fell out one day at the beach :(

pentaxs.com if you want a complete overhaul, otherwise send me a pm, I think I have a spare lever I could send you.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 18, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paragon8 posted:

I really have no idea how we didn't all end up being canon vs. nikon circlejerkers HDRing our cat pictures

Oppression, mostly.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

SoundMonkey posted:

Oppression, mostly.

and a sincere lack of effort spared to politeness. Like, on FredMiranda, there are the diamonds in the rough that are worth browsing the forum for. On the other hand, there are some shiiiiiiitastic photos that you just want to dump the day's frustration into a vitriol-filled hatepost. Unfortunately, you seem to kind of have to be polite sometimes.

On here though, if you hdr the gently caress out of your cat and badly clonestamp the background, someone is going to yell at you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dakana posted:

and a sincere lack of effort spared to politeness. Like, on FredMiranda, there are the diamonds in the rough that are worth browsing the forum for. On the other hand, there are some shiiiiiiitastic photos that you just want to dump the day's frustration into a vitriol-filled hatepost. Unfortunately, you seem to kind of have to be polite sometimes.

On here though, if you hdr the gently caress out of your cat and badly clonestamp the background, someone is going to yell at you.

As they say "haters gonna hate" and we are the haters.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

8th-samurai posted:

As they say "haters gonna hate" and we are the haters.

we aren't the haters they deserve. we're the haters they need.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Gotta compete with the rumored larger than full frame Hasselblad mirrorless. :laugh:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

HPL posted:

There ws a mini outbreak of panic in the dpreview forum that it wasn't an actual rangefinder.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ugh, mass-produced trash. I only buy cameras made in a run of one (1) single unit

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
That is genuinely a product with no upper price limit. A Leica... Designed by Jonathan Ives. This is the closest we will get to the second coming, mark my words.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

East Lake posted:

Gotta compete with the rumored larger than full frame Hasselblad mirrorless. :laugh:

Correction. Smaller than full frame. The perfect companion to your wood grain sigma, and only 5000 euro.

Game on Leica. :smug:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That Hassy is loving baller. Are there any Leicas with jewels on them?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That 70s Shirt posted:

So Google apparently just bought up Nik Software, which is too bad because while I only use Silver Efex Pro 2 myself, I've heard that pretty much all their software is kick-rear end.

Google's probably only interested in Nik Snapseed so that Android will have a competitor to Instagram, and will likely either sell off the pro software if they can or just let it die. (They have a history of doing that to companies they buy.) :(

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software.aspx/
You're probably right and this really sucks.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

East Lake posted:

Correction. Smaller than full frame. The perfect companion to your wood grain sigma, and only 5000 euro.

Is that actually a thing? Looks like a rebranded NEX-7.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

Is that actually a thing? Looks like a rebranded NEX-7.

It IS a rebranded NEX-7 for about 5x the usual price.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

alkanphel posted:

It IS a rebranded NEX-7 for about 5x the usual price.

But you can change the grip material!

Seriously, I was actually kind of intrigued by the idea of a medium format mirrorless camera, but this is dumbest poo poo ever. I got to see the unveiling live today at Photokina, and it only really served to cement Hasselblad as an expensive nametag added to other people's products.

It's really a shame, because the 500 series stuff are some of my favorite cameras ever.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

East Lake posted:

The specs on this thing make it look like they used focus groups to nail down the features that give you the biggest possible swinging dick

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Hot Cops posted:

The specs on this thing make it look like they used focus groups to nail down the features that give you the biggest possible swinging dick

So one of the grip material options is authentic K-Rock approved elephant foreskin?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

that would make for some good bellows

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
jesus christ if you want a medium format mirrorless go buy a 120 rangefinder

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

This rendering shows the grip to be leather, not wood.

I assume this is because Hassleblad hasn't yet decided which material is best suited to high-tech electronics: dead trees or dead cows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

squidflakes posted:

So one of the grip material options is authentic K-Rock approved elephant foreskin?

and a convenient 2nd charger so you can always have fresh batteries at your dental practice.