Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I need a new game. I've been playing Dark Souls for, well, forever now. Feeling a little burnt out on it.

I would love something just as difficult, but more importantly, just as immersive. I've tried Witcher 2, and the combat is just horrible. Binding of Issac was pretty cool, and challenging but not as immersive.

I was thinking of Yakuza 4, since it's cheap, and maybe Way of the Samurai 4. But I'm not sure if they'll scratch that itch that Dark Souls does.

I really just want something that's challenging and engaging. Rewarding. Cheap...Cheap as well. 30 dollars or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You thought the combat in Witcher 2 was horrible?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You thought the combat in Witcher 2 was horrible?

I know I'm going to be a lone heart in this, but yes. I didn't find it fun, just kind of tedious. I just kept wishing the combat had been removed from the game, cause the stories seemed kind of cool.

Chugging potions, spamming bombs and quen doesn't really do it for me. I really don't know how to explain the difference, but Witcher 2 is a big bleh for me.

Edit: I never got past the first major boss, the tentacle monster. Does it somehow get better?

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 12, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's just kind of surprising to me because I loved the combat and also found it to be heavily influenced by the Souls games. I never played the game by doing the majority of the combat with traps and bombs, though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

toxicsunset posted:

Can you elaborate on what handheld games are similar? I've played FFTA/A2, Tactics Ogre. I've played the Shining Force games, too. (Actually played/beat them as a kid, and again recently) FFTA/2 just didn't feel the same to me, for some reason or another. The class system in FFT is a really key component to what makes it enjoyable, to me. I like the customization and ability to 'break the game' by finding killer class combinations as opposed to ok, this guy is the archer guy, he does the archer things, and that's that.

Front Mission DS

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I need a new game. I've been playing Dark Souls for, well, forever now. Feeling a little burnt out on it.

I would love something just as difficult, but more importantly, just as immersive. I've tried Witcher 2, and the combat is just horrible. Binding of Issac was pretty cool, and challenging but not as immersive.

I was thinking of Yakuza 4, since it's cheap, and maybe Way of the Samurai 4. But I'm not sure if they'll scratch that itch that Dark Souls does.

I really just want something that's challenging and engaging. Rewarding. Cheap...Cheap as well. 30 dollars or less.

Throwing out a little wild card here: Mark of the Ninja.

Only on XBLA, and while progression itself isn't very challenging, it does require some skill and patience in execution to get the most out of it - it's a game you can become good at, let's say and there are a lot of options for tuning the difficulty by changing your loadout. There's also supposed to be a harder NG+ mode, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

It's an extremely engaging and satisfying game, and I can't recommend it enough.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 12, 2012

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

okay, a little bit of an odd request but it's a friends birthday pretty soon and he loves terrible games. Like, the worst of the worst. So I decided that as well as getting him a "real" gift, I'll also get him the worst game on Steam. Any suggestions, guys?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

okay, a little bit of an odd request but it's a friends birthday pretty soon and he loves terrible games. Like, the worst of the worst. So I decided that as well as getting him a "real" gift, I'll also get him the worst game on Steam. Any suggestions, guys?

Bad Rats is the ever-popular goon choice for Worst Steam Game. A physics-driven puzzler with completely broken physics, that's also racist and mean-spirited.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omp posted:

Speaking of New Vegas' hardcore mode, does anyone know of a really brutal, unforgiving and realistic survival game? Not necessarily survival horror although I'm up for that. I'm talking about a game where you can be killed in your sleep if you don't find a safe spot to rest, where something can tear your throat out while you're squatting down to take a poo poo, etc.

NEO Scavenger is still in beta but pretty awesome on the survival front so far.

There's also Robinson's Requiem and Deus which you can find on GOG.com. They're older survival games but they kind of suffer from terrible controls and sometimes unclear graphics. There's an LP of Robinson's Requiem here to get a look at what it's like.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I need a game that hates me, and hates me very, very much.

New Vegas' hardcore mode was pretty fun when you had to wander around limping on a gimped leg with your head spinning every few seconds, but I was too busy being wowed by the writing and the setting to really feel too bad about it all. Been replaying the Stalker games and they definitely nail the atmosphere I want, and for a very short period the difficulty as well, but they get pretty easy later on. I'm already determined to get Dark Souls as soon as I can justify it (just dropped 60bux on GW2 because seriously GW2), but I just want more games like this is all. So, in summary:

- Oppressive atmosphere
- Gameplay that isn't afraid to gently caress you over
- Actively engaging (I'm not up for The Void right now)
- OPTIONAL: is pretty cheap
- PREFERRED: is pretty recent
- Genre doesn't matter
- Isn't Fallout, Dark Souls, or Stalker

Any help?
Have you played Legend of Grimrock? I wouldn't say the game quite hates you, it's more like it's this ruthless rear end in a top hat that treats you as a peer out of respect. It's hugely atmospheric, pretty challenging (for today's standards at least) and there will be AHAHAHA gently caress YOU moments.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Seconding Grimrock forever. And gently caress you for making me remember Robinson's Requiem. That game was so sadistic it rolled around to helpful, and then still had enough left to go back to the heights of assholery.

VVV: gently caress off, Abuse is awesome :colbert:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 13, 2012

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho
Looking for some XCom style games within the last five years. Good ones of course.

Edit: Also original Fallout and Fallout 2 style games would work, that whole feel.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

I need a game that hates me, and hates me very, very much.

New Vegas' hardcore mode was pretty fun when you had to wander around limping on a gimped leg with your head spinning every few seconds, but I was too busy being wowed by the writing and the setting to really feel too bad about it all. Been replaying the Stalker games and they definitely nail the atmosphere I want, and for a very short period the difficulty as well, but they get pretty easy later on. I'm already determined to get Dark Souls as soon as I can justify it (just dropped 60bux on GW2 because seriously GW2), but I just want more games like this is all. So, in summary:

- Oppressive atmosphere
- Gameplay that isn't afraid to gently caress you over
- Actively engaging (I'm not up for The Void right now)
- OPTIONAL: is pretty cheap
- PREFERRED: is pretty recent
- Genre doesn't matter
- Isn't Fallout, Dark Souls, or Stalker

Any help?

It's old, but it's awesome and is one of my best gaming experiences of all time. Even the name says it all: Abuse for the PC

It's a side scrolling action platformer with puzzle elements, and it really really hates you. Even when you win, the game hates you.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.
I wanna play a game that has awesome shadows. The game doesn't even have to have gameplay or graphics that are that amazing, just cool shadows, like in Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Amazing graphics and gameplay would be a plus, but I just love seeing a game where the shadows move and feel like they interact with the environment.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Blade of Darkness AKA Severance. Old game with great shadows.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Blade of Darkness AKA Severance. Old game with great shadows.
Yeah, this guy ain't loving kidding. The game's pretty ancient, and the shadows still look drat great, better than a lot of modern games in my opinion. The way they behave when you, for example, pick up a torch in a dark corridor just looks so drat authentic, I don't understand how so few other games have managed the same feel.

Pretty drat kickass game too, try it out if you can find it somewhere.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
What are some newer games like the Splinter Cell series aside from the Thief, Metal Gear, and Chronicles of Riddick games?

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho

Noni posted:

What are some newer games like the Splinter Cell series aside from the Thief, Metal Gear, and Chronicles of Riddick games?

Assassins Creed

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Noni posted:

Hitman a sort of unique stealth game series: rather than staying in the shadows, you hide by finding disguises either scattered throughout the level, or knock out/kill someone for their clothes. You can try sticking to the shadows, people do runs of each level wearing the default suit you start each level in, but the focus is on finding a way to get your hands on a disguise. You can find all but the third game on Steam. The newest game is actually available free on coreonline.com! I'd totally recommend it, it's a great game and a sequel is coming out some time in 2013.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
How is Guild Wars 2 for someone who isn't really into MMOs? I'm not opposed to them at all, just never really got into one. I've played WoW but that got dull quickly. It looks great and I'm burned out on Skyrim.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Noni posted:

Deus Ex Human Revolution, if you've not played it that is.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

If this hasn't passed by yet, might I suggest Caster? I usually pick up like ten copies each time it goes on sale (for like a buck each!) and then give them out as joke gifts.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

Bad Rats.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

6EQUJ5 posted:

Bad Rats.

That is the best game on steam I refuse to hear otherwise.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I don't know if a game like this exists, but does anyone know of any realistic naturalist type of games? Like the melee combat of Rune or Darkfall, with the sense of exploring and finding food of the Ultima series.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I am currently playing the Game of Thrones game that came out this year. I am really loving it and I am enjoying the gameplay a lot.

I like games that allow you to use a shield and sword and que up attacks. The loot table drops are even a nice added bonus. The entire pet option is also something I liked.

Are there any other games other than Dragon Age 1 and 2 that are like this?

The story is so drat good and Mors Westford is such a great character. I need something to play after it! Help me out guys!!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

extra stout posted:

I don't know if a game like this exists, but does anyone know of any realistic naturalist type of games? Like the melee combat of Rune or Darkfall, with the sense of exploring and finding food of the Ultima series.

Not sure if it's what you had in mind but there are mods for Morrowind and Skyrim (probably Oblivion too but never played it much...) that add in a lot of survival elements.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dead Blue Sky posted:

How is Guild Wars 2 for someone who isn't really into MMOs? I'm not opposed to them at all, just never really got into one. I've played WoW but that got dull quickly. It looks great and I'm burned out on Skyrim.

I'm not an MMO fan, but I'm enjoying it so far. You don't have to be on the same server as someone to do co-op, the classes are more well-rounded than other MMOs (you don't need a dedicated healer, and any class can solo well), you don't have to do PVP if you don't want to, you don't have to fight with other players over loot, you can join quests in progress rather than wait in line for a specific NPC, you can switch crafting skills whenever you want and not lose progress in them, you can gather all materials regardless of what class you are, and you can respec.

It's still fundamentally the same sort of game (so you might still find it boring), but it's definitely cut out a lot of the tedious bullshit I hate about MMOs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 17, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I'm not an MMO fan, but I'm enjoying it so far. You don't have to be on the same server as someone to do co-op, the classes are more well-rounded than other MMOs (you don't need a dedicated healer, and any class can solo well), you don't have to do PVP if you don't want to, you don't have to fight with other players over loot, you can join quests in progress rather than wait in line for a specific NPC, you can switch crafting skills whenever you want and not lose progress in them, you can gather all materials regardless of what class you are, and you can respec.

It's still fundamentally the same sort of game (so you might still find it boring), but it's definitely cut out a lot of the tedious bullshit I hate about MMOs.

Yeah, the combat and level progression is very MMO-like, but I think if you enjoy Skyrim, you'll find plenty to enjoy in Guild Wars 2 as well. For one thing, the environment is much more interesting to explore than in other MMOs and you can basically play it like a single player game, since there's no subscription.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My favorite thing about GW2 is how smoothly it handles working together without actually grouping. I regularly help people out (and get helped out) without having to negotiate any sort of group. Random bosses, events, quests, etc. Unofficial pseudo-groups just form for a few minutes, get the thing done, and then scatter as we go off on our own. I'm not even sure what benefits grouping would have besides a shared chat channel.
I also had a really neat moment earlier. I just started an alt, and one of the first things I did was try to send a mail to my main because I was going to start sending things over to my alt, like bags and crafting materials. "You can't mail yourself." Well that kinda sucks... wait. Go check my bank, everything's there. So are my "collections," which hold all my crafting materials, organized together, and I can immediately start on crafting without having to manage any of it manually.
So far I've had a bunch of those sorts of moments, where I started working on something assuming it would be sort of a hassle like any other MMO, and it turns out that no, you totally don't need to do any of that kind of thing. It's bizarrely convenient.

On the other hand, I'm still talking about "other people," which Guild Wars 1 didn't really have, and you still have to buy gathering tools and juggle your inventory and stuff like that.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of GW2, I'm on the fence about getting the vanilla or digital deluxe edition. Are the extras actually worth the additional bucks?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Danger Mahoney posted:

Speaking of GW2, I'm on the fence about getting the vanilla or digital deluxe edition. Are the extras actually worth the additional bucks?

No, not really. Unless a few limited-use consumables sound really exciting. Otherwise you get a Rytlock mini pet and a wolf summon elite skill that is nothing special.

(and you can "upgrade" later for $20 in-game if you really feel you're missing out, later on.) (you won't)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So my friend loved his bad game (I got him bad rats and indigo prophecy, so thanks everyone!) but time for me to treat myself. I have fond memories of Frontier Elite 2 but the graphics and UI are getting a little dated and I'd like to play something similar but more modern. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I loved Freelancer. Or get the D3D FFE remake.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I need a new time suck. I've played Skyrim out on the 360, and on the PC I've basically played out Civ 5 and Endless Space.

I'm looking for a PC or a 360 game that will keep me occupied for a long time without grinding, so no MMOs. I'm thinking strategy, but I wasn't a tremendous fan of SC2. Most of all I'm looking for a game that isn't rage inducing. I'm sick of playing buggy games and games that have laggy multiplayer or are unbalanced.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Red Crown posted:

I need a new time suck. I've played Skyrim out on the 360, and on the PC I've basically played out Civ 5 and Endless Space.

I'm looking for a PC or a 360 game that will keep me occupied for a long time without grinding, so no MMOs. I'm thinking strategy, but I wasn't a tremendous fan of SC2. Most of all I'm looking for a game that isn't rage inducing. I'm sick of playing buggy games and games that have laggy multiplayer or are unbalanced.

Try Crusader Kings 2, it's awesome, although slightly complicated and might be hard to get into

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I need a game like Arcanum.
Preferably more recent.

Does anything like that even exist?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Red Crown posted:

Dawn of War 2 games?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I need some recommendations for some good casual PC games. Preferably things I can get on Steam or, barring that, digitally. My new roommate likes things like Plants vs Zombies, Bejeweled, Critter Crunch, Zumas Revenge. Shes kinda getting tired of those games and needs something new. Anyone know of any games that she might like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

I need some recommendations for some good casual PC games. Preferably things I can get on Steam or, barring that, digitally. My new roommate likes things like Plants vs Zombies, Bejeweled, Critter Crunch, Zumas Revenge. Shes kinda getting tired of those games and needs something new. Anyone know of any games that she might like?

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is a fantastic game, and I still find myself playing it to this day when I've got 15-20 minutes to spare. It's a mix of puzzle battler with a bit of RPG thrown in where the campaign is concerned. The campaign was actually really well done too. My wife even enjoys playing it against me in the hotseat mode, and she generally doesn't like video games.