Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Bankok posted:

Soon as I heard Ji Hyo I was sold. Through the first 5 episodes so far, enjoying it alot.

I'm at almost the same spot, it's quite good and I like it a lot, a very nice change from time traveling lovestruck royalty from the Joseon era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Does anyone else here watch Answer to 1997?

It's from tvN, the same cable network that made Queen In Hyun's Man and it's really good, the first drama since QIHM that I've enjoyed.

quote:

It tells the story of 6 former high school friends from a school in Busan who meet again in 2012 and brings back memories to 1997 when they were still high school students. Moving back and forth between the ’90s and today, the story centers on the life of Sung Si Won (Jung Eun Ji), who idolizes boyband H.O.T., and her 5 high school friends.

But it's more of a drama about youth and romance and it's really funny as well. And it's set in Busan so they're speaking in that dialect.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

They call it "Reply to 1997" on various Korean sites but yeah it's blown up pretty huge, the whole nostalgia angle and also the "satoori" dialect has made it a hit. I'll check it out at some point.

Selane
May 19, 2006

T. Mascis posted:

They call it "Reply to 1997" on various Korean sites but yeah it's blown up pretty huge, the whole nostalgia angle and also the "satoori" dialect has made it a hit. I'll check it out at some point.

I'm glad it's causing Eunji to get some attention, at least. She's definitely one of the best female vocalists in Kpop. Though as far as I'm concerned, A Pink in general is pretty underrated.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

T. Mascis posted:

I'm at almost the same spot, it's quite good and I like it a lot, a very nice change from time traveling lovestruck royalty from the Joseon era.

I finished it early this morning, it stayed strong all the way through the end. I highly recommend Crime Squad to anyone who wants a bit of a change of pace from the usual dramas.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Just started the 1997 show and it hasn't been bad so far and doesn't feel like a typical korean drama show which is nice.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Lee Joon is straight up one of the most entertaining (most of it unintentionally) idols to appear on any variety show, looking forward to watching his WGM episodes.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
It's been a very good week for me with Orange Caramel and Secret releasing MVs. So much sax-a-ma-phone.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Looking forward to watching Secret's MV later because Hyosung

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

T. Mascis posted:

Lee Joon is straight up one of the most entertaining (most of it unintentionally) idols to appear on any variety show, looking forward to watching his WGM episodes.

Joon and his box on Running Man in that Olympics episode was the greatest, I'd watch him do anything.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

SNSD rereleased OH! in Japan and while that's nothing really to note, it's just an excuse for me to post a gif of hipster Yoona:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It was interesting to see how they've changed in 3 years at least.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I don't understand why they are rereleasing Oh! now. SM seemed determined to push SNSD as mature artists as they returned to Japan. Their ballad heavy lineup is a distinct change to their usual peppy choices in the past. The Paparazzi MV in particular seemed to set the girls on another level. Oh! is a sharp contrast in style and image and serves to undermine the current buildup. The Oppa chorus likely precluded Oh! from the original album and it's as if they just threw a MV together in 2 weeks so they could sell it as a single with All My Love Is For You.

I should be glad that the girls aren't gobsmacked that Japan is going ga-ga over their legs again.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Lots of money for little effort, supposedly Oh is really huge over there. I ain't complaining because really, look at them, they look drat good in that video.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TEHJOE posted:

Their ballad heavy lineup is a distinct change to their usual peppy choices in the past. n.

I love SNSD, but man... the seemingly 'Japan only' ballads are by far my favourite tracks. If their next record was just ballads like 'Born to Be a Lady' and 'Let it Rain', I would be a happy happy man.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Lyer posted:

SNSD rereleased OH! in Japan and while that's nothing really to note,

Oh but it is, Oh! is one of my favorite songs! I like the new video, but I'm glad they kept the choreography. I used to have a gif of that move they do at 3:21 in the new video and watch it over and over and over.

fake edit: embedded for the lazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXZWudcVzEg

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I'm on episode 5 of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. The scenes between the aunt and the director are excellent amazing.
Will they show us at some point what kind of being the misterious veterinarian guy is?

Merope fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 15, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

From what I remember, Yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There is a chance PSY will be showing up on SNL tonight, according to a vague tweet.

I do not know if that is worth watching SNL for though.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

T. Mascis posted:

Just watched their first ep and I like their chemistry. I never really watched WGM before but these two seem kind of quirky so I'm expecting them to be fun to watch. Perhaps codependent too... I'd like it if you called me 100 times huh? :v:

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
This current new set of WGM couples has got me hooked on the show, at first i was pretty adverse to idea of ever watching something like it but i just love the chemistry of all these couples.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I used to watch WGM then stopped because the couples weren't too interesting. When I saw Gwanghee+Sunhwa and Lee Joon were on as new couples, I knew I had to start again.

Echoing the praise for the new couples. I find the Gwanghee-Sunhwa couple really sweet and love how they bicker with each other :3:
Julian Kang is also great since he just blows out the normal Korean speed of relationships and just starts being awesome lifting her and hugging her etc.

And oh boy, a stalker-love couple! A guy who enjoys an overly attached girlfriend? Should be interesting...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
PSY was on SNL after all. They did a sketch with a "Gangnam Style button" where you pushed it and one of the cast members, as PSY, came out and started performing Gangnam Style really badly (Is it that hard to tell the difference between "Oppa" and "Oppan?").

At the end of it, they went into "Turbo Mode" and PSY came out. It wasn't worth watching SNL for. :(

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 16, 2012

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Finally got around to watching Nice Guy/Innocent Man. Came for Joong Ki and Kwang Soo, stayed for some fierce leading ladies and a ton of drama. It's only my second and a half/third kdrama series though, so I don't have much reference for how much drama is a "lot."

Joong Ki certainly pulls off brooding, suffering male lead (he has exactly one facial expression 100% of the time, this is not a bad thing). Kwang Soo's got scenes in both eps as well and is a pretty entertaining, humorous counterpart to Mr. Permabrood. So far he's been The Dorkiest Chaebol 30% of the time and expositing about Joong Ki at people 70% of the time. Hopefully he'll get to do more later but they've put in him a car and shipped him off for an in-show week, haha

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I've only watched romantic comedy dramas so for me, the drama factor is high in Nice Guy. Seems like it's gonna be a lot of scheming and double crossing, hopefully doesn't get super heavy or depressing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks to the people who recommended Heroes. I'm powering through it now and it's really filling the hole IY2 isn't.

Fun, cute, crazy. Everything I want from Korean variety :D

Selane
May 19, 2006

The last episode of Reply 1997 just set the record for highest ratings ever for a cable drama. :stare:

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Just got to the episode of Family Outing where KJK joins.
Oh man i am so excited.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Flicking through radio stations on my way home from work yesterday and Gangnam Style came on. Pretty weird experience.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Revenant Threshold posted:

Flicking through radio stations on my way home from work yesterday and Gangnam Style came on. Pretty weird experience.

Tell me about it. I still find it weird that American people are loving a non-English version of a song from none other than Psy. I mean, maybe if it were SNSD or some Kpop group I'd understand. But Psy? :psyduck: Guess humor crosses language barriers rather well.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
My husband told me his photographer friend posted on his fb that he had just heard Gangnam Style at a wedding and 2/3 of the guests knew the dance. Then another photog chimed in with a comment saying it had happened to him. Then a third photog said the same.

I am going to the wrong weddings.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Archer2338 posted:

Tell me about it. I still find it weird that American people are loving a non-English version of a song from none other than Psy. I mean, maybe if it were SNSD or some Kpop group I'd understand. But Psy? :psyduck: Guess humor crosses language barriers rather well.

The idol groups pretty much don't have any chance of becoming popular over here, it's just too weird and not "authentic" enough for our delicate American sensibilities. The music video for Gangnam Style is the funniest music video anyone can remember though, and the song is good too so that's that.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 24, 2012

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Archer2338 posted:

I don't really get it either. Last Saturday I was at a club in Chicago and it came on and everyone went crazy. I'm shocked people actually listen to the song without the video.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

I don't really get it either. Last Saturday I was at a club in Chicago and it came on and everyone went crazy. I'm shocked people actually listen to the song without the video.

Well it's a good song in general anyways that isn't too busy like most of the poo poo Kpop people put out.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

doomisland posted:

Well it's a good song in general anyways that isn't too busy like most of the poo poo Kpop people put out.

What's the chance that Korean music will start pumping out Psy-clones (I didn't mean to use the pun like this, sorry) like they do with idol groups now to capitalize on the international success?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

What's the chance that Korean music will start pumping out Psy-clones (I didn't mean to use the pun like this, sorry) like they do with idol groups now to capitalize on the international success?

I don't think they'll start pumping out musical acts of middle aged men in k-pop, but I would bet on more idol groups going with funny/less serious themes in their songs/videos. I doubt we'll see any level of satire Psy has done with Gangnam style though. Hopefully the people in charge understand that they should be doing their own thing; doing something that makes them unique, vs trying to emulate western pop.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
SM will be sensible and stay the course, DSP will market it to Japan, and CCM will have Jiyeon hump-hovering over Hyomin on an escalator instead of an elevator.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

reflir posted:

Jiyeon hump-hovering over Hyomin on an escalator instead of an elevator.

To be fair, you can't say you wouldn't pay to see that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dancing Peasant posted:

The short answer is there's no chance of this happening. Besides, us Americans are pretty dumb so I'm pretty sure the majority could listen to any other Korean song and label it as "Just like Oppa Gangnam Style! :downs:" so why try to make one that deliberately copies it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

reflir posted:

Jiyeon hump-hovering over Hyomin on an escalator instead of an elevator.

Aren't they trying to avoid the Sex Machine nickname?

I just watched her return on IY2. They go out of their way to script an awkward sunscreen quip and then proceed to drop the story line when they reunite. The urn game in paticular is pathetic. You can't treat the idols as sacred cows and expect physical variety to work.

Gangnam style is a good song but let's not underestimate JYP's media play.Maybe he learned something after killing the Wondergirls.

• Locked thread